Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
spring-1210194_1280.jpg

Welcome to Spring!

Spring is one of the four conventional temperate seasons, following winter and preceding summer. There are various technical definitions of spring, but local usage of the term varies according to local climate, cultures and customs. When it is spring in the Northern Hemisphere, it will be autumn in the Southern Hemisphere and vice versa. At the spring equinox, days are approximately 12 hours long with day length increasing as the season progresses.

SU News

22324624-mmmain.jpg

Toledo cornerback Jordan Martin to join Syracuse football as graduate transfer (PS; Bailey)

Toledo cornerback Jordan Martin will join Syracuse football as a graduate transfer this summer, he told Syracuse.com in a Twitter direct message.

The 6-foot-3, 205-pound Martin has already signed with the Orange and will have one season of eligibility left to use in 2017, he said. He racked up 74 total tackles, including 4.5 for loss, 11 pass deflections, two forced fumbles and an interception in three seasons as a contributor for the Rockets. Martin sat out his junior year in 2015 with a torn ACL.

"The process went pretty smoothly," Martin said. "Upon asking for my release from Toledo, I wanted to get my film out to as many schools as possible. I was familiar with Coach (Dino) Babers from him coaching in the MAC conference and (Bowling Green) being our rival school.

"They saw my film and brought me up for a visit. I loved the environment and the love I received from the coaching staff as well as the academic department. It's a great school and they play some great teams, their schedule next year is hefty so it was pretty easy making my decision to play for them."

Syracuse football recruiting: Former Toldeo CB Jordan Martin to transfer to SU (DO; Gutierrez)

Former Toledo cornerback Jordan Martin will transfer to Syracuse, he confirmed to The Daily Orange Sunday night. Syracuse.com’s Stephen Bailey first reported the news.

The 6-foot-3, 205-pounder will join the Orange as a graduate transfer and have one season of eligibility. In three seasons at Toledo, Martin tallied 74 tackles, 4.5 for loss, 11 pass deflections, two forced fumbles and an interception. He entered 2016, his senior year, listed as co-No. 1 at cornerback in the preseason depth chart.

Martin will join Syracuse this summer after he graduates from Toledo in May.

“I feel like I’ve got a lot of experience under my belt,” Martin said. “I can come in and be a Day 1 impact player.”

After Martin got a release from Toledo, he sent his film to SU head coach Dino Baber’s coaching staff. Martin said he played against Babers’ Bowling Green teams, rivals with Toledo, and grew interested in playing for him. Martin visited the SU campus March 11-13 and said he liked the staff.

Martin joins fellow graduate transfer Devin Butler, a former cornerback at Notre Dame. Syracuse spring practice begins Tuesday morning.

Other

21929498-mmmain.jpg

Salt City Limits, Riff Raff: 5 shows to see this week (March 19 to 25) (PS; Tulloch)

This week is a good one to celebrate Women's History Month (March) with so many powerful performances from women in music and theater.

Also, don't miss the debut of Salt City Limits, a new concert series at the Palace Theater, aiming to spotlight the music of Central New York.

Broadway star and Baldwinsville native Gina Lamparella ("The Phantom of the Opera," "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels") will join the Le Moyne College Jazzuits and Singers for a cabaret show dedicated to Broadway music. The performance will feature over 30 tunes, including songs from "Godspell" and "Les Miserables."

Where: Grewen Auditorium at Le Moyne College.
When: Sunday, March 19 at 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. (two performances)
How much: $15 for the general public, $10 for seniors and $5 for students. Call (315) 445-4200.