Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
international-day-for-the-elimination-of-racial-discrimination.jpg

Welcome to International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination!

The International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination is observed annually on 21 March. On that day, in 1960, police opened fire and killed 69 people at a peaceful demonstration in Sharpeville, South Africa, against the apartheid pass laws. Proclaiming the day in 1966, the United Nations General Assembly called on the international community to redouble its efforts to eliminate all forms of racial discrimination.[1]

SU News

22331038-mmmain.jpg

Amba Etta-Tawo's pro day sees a fast 40 and an explanation for his breakout season (PS; Mink)

Amba Etta-Tawo showed up to Syracuse football's pro day 5 pounds lighter and a tenth of a second faster than when he participated in the NFL Scouting Combine earlier this month.

But measurables or testing numbers were never what intrigued NFL scouts and personnel the most about Syracuse football's All-American receiver.

The biggest question, to them, is piecing together why it took a change of scenery for Etta-Tawo to uncork a bottle of potential.

"I told them it was a focus," Etta-Tawo said after his performance Monday at the Ensley Athletic Center. "It's an attitude that I can't be stopped. I gained that attitude after I came here."

That confidence helped the Maryland-graduate transfer post one of the most productive seasons in the history of the ACC and re-write a record book for a school that has produced receivers such as Art Monk, Marvin Harrison and Rob Moore.

Monday's appearance was essentially his last to impress a cadre of NFL scouts. He said he did not yet have any private workouts with teams lined up. The New York Giants and Buffalo Bills have shown interest, but Etta-Tawo said he's met with most of the NFL's 32 teams.

22330567-large.jpg

How much did a game-worn jersey of Syracuse's Ernie Davis bring in auction? (PS; Kramer)

A jersey worn by running back Ernie Davis at Syracuse University has brought more than $15,000 at an auction.

The recent sale of the Davis jersey and several other items was held by Lelands. The winning bid totaled $15,561.60.

Other items of interest include:

A football autographed by the 1959-60 Orange after a win over Pittsburgh brought $5,137.20.

A 1959-60 national champion Cotton Bowl gold charm bracelet and watch presented to team captain Dave Appelhof went for $1,200.

A handwritten letter by former SU coach Ben Schwartzwalder brought $1,033.20.

And a 1954 program from Jim Brown's first game at Syracuse went for $270.

The ACC now has two of only four total female ADs leading Power Five programs (cbssports.com; Kercheval)

Pittsburgh’s hiring of former Eastern Michigan athletic director Heather Lyke is another step in the right direction for women running Division I athletic departments, specifically at the Power Five level.

The Sports Business Journal notes that Lyke is the fourth female AD among college athletics’ highest rung. Debbie Yow (NC State), Sandy Barbour (Penn State) and Jennifer Cohen (Washington) are the other three. That would mean the ACC alone accounts for half of female ADs among the 65 Power Five schools with the SEC and Big 12 still the only conferences without one.

“Heather Lyke’s track record exemplifies her dedication to student-athletes. She has a passion for success in the classroom, on the playing field and in life after graduation,” said Pitt chancellor Patrick Gallagher in a statement released by the program. “She is the perfect person to lead our Department of Athletics into a new era of excellence, and I am thrilled to welcome her and her family to Pitt.”

Lyke’s track record is definitely noteworthy, especially at Eastern Michigan. EMU’s football program saw a 100 percent increase “in total season ticket growth from 2014 to 2016,” according to Lyke’s bio. Fundraising increased significantly as well.

Eastern Michigan had worst football program and nobody donated. Heather Lyke comes in, they go to a bowl and donations went up 40%.

— Chris Dokish (@ChrisDokish) March 20, 2017

With bathroom bill, North Carolina economy expanding and tourism thriving (washingtontimes.com; Richardson and Richardson)

North Carolina may have lost out on the NCAA championships, the NBA All-Star Game and Bruce Springsteen thanks to its hotly contested transgender bathroom law, but the state’s economy didn’t miss a beat.

Economic indicators released for 2016 show that the boycott has failed to derail North Carolina as a regional and national powerhouse, despite the loss of high-profile performances and sporting events in response to House Bill 2, signed March 23 by then-Gov. Pat McCrory.

Tourism has thrived: Hotel occupancy, room rates and demand for rooms set records in 2016, according to the year-end hotel lodging report issued last week by VisitNC, part of the Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina.

Meanwhile, North Carolina ranked fourth in the nation for attracting and expanding businesses with the arrival of 289 major projects, and seventh in projects per capita — the same as in 2015, according to Site Selection magazine, which released its 2016 rankings in the March edition.

North Carolina finished first for drawing corporate facilities in the eight-state South Atlantic region, said Site Selection, which uses figures tracked by the Conway Projects Database.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...en-gophers-cleared-school-sexual-assault-case (ESPN)

Three Minnesota football players were cleared of sexual harassment allegations in a final round of appeals at the school and will be allowed to return to spring practice, while two more had their punishments in connection with allegations of a sexual assault upheld Monday.

Provost Karen Hanson heard the appeals and upheld the decision to remove one-year suspensions for defensive back Antoine Winfield Jr., running back Kobe McCrary and quarterback Mark Williams, attorney Ryan Pacyga said Monday night.

Hanson also ruled that defensive back KiAnte Hardin's expulsion was the correct decision and upheld a one-year suspension for running back Carlton Djam over allegations dating to September.

"These couple of months have been nothing short of a nightmare for me and I want to thank everyone who has reached out to me and shown nothing but love," Winfield posted on Twitter. "Today I have officially been cleared and I am excited to tear up the field for my brothers and my gopher fans."

The rulings stem from allegations made in September by a woman who said she was pressured into having sex with multiple football players. Authorities declined to press charges in the case, and the players who did have sex with the woman said it was consensual.

Other

meyasha-kerce-e96733858c982e6d.jpg

Syracuse teen banned from Destiny USA returns, pepper sprays store manager, police say (PS; O'Toole)

A Syracuse teenager previously banned from Destiny USA is accused of pepper spraying a store manager during a robbery at the mall last week, authorities said.

Meyasha Kerce, 16, of 122 W. Seneca Turnpike, was charged Friday at Destiny USA with third-degree robbery and third-degree burglary, both felonies, and petit larceny and unlawfully possessing a noxious material, both misdemeanors.

Kerce is accused of stealing a Nike Windrunner jacket and pants, each valued at $100, from FootAction at Destiny USA, according to court documents.

As the store manager tried to stop Kerce from leaving Destiny USA with the stolen merchandise, Kerce sprayed her in the face with pepper spray, court papers say.

"The store manager was left with a burning sensation on the right side of her face and watery eyes," the court papers said.

Although she suffered minor pain, Syracuse police say the store manager did not need to go to the hospital.

Kerce was issued a "no trespass" order from Destiny USA in May 2014, although the reason why it was issued at that time was not immediately known, Syracuse police Sgt. Julie Shulsky said.

Kerce was sent to the Onondaga County Justice Center without bail. She is scheduled to appear Thursday in Syracuse City Court, according to jail records.

Last edited:
News, Notes & Quotes - March 21

- The NFL competition committee will urge the use of full-time officials in 2017. Could that trickle down?

ESPN’s Kevin Seifert writes, “The league's collective bargaining agreement with the NFL Referees Association (NFLRA) allows it to convert and/or hire referees into full-time roles, but most officials have resisted because they would have to leave the union and become ‘at-will’ NFL employees. The committee's recommendation is to approach referees first and give them an opportunity to phase into a program that would be mandatory by the end of this decade.”

Few sports leagues use full-time officials, and college sports don’t. Could it move to college football? Conferences control that. Several coaches have called for it, including Mike Leach and Jim Mora. The reason? Too much is on the line to give so much responsibility to people officiating on the side.

In 2015, Mora said, “If you’re going to count on your officials to be as effective as you’re counting on your players and coaches, then it needs to be full-time. They need to be doing it all the time. … Why not have officials at every single practice? Why not make it part of the protocol? Have them at practice and see every single situation that comes up, and then they’re more prepared on Saturday.”