Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
http://img.At their request, this network is being blocked from this site./sites/default/files/styles/primary_image/public/2015/12/28/Quade%20Green%20NG.jpg
Welcome to Near Miss Day!

March 23 is Near Miss Day, an annual reminder of the day in 1989 when an asteroid nearly collided with the Earth. The 300-meter wide asteroid called 4581 Asclepius flew past the Earth by a distance of about 450,000 miles (684,000 kms) and almost missed striking it by 6 hours.

SU News

Csa9MoFWYAAwCQt.jpg

Wednesday Michigan Recruiting Roundup: 2018 4* QB Lists Michigan in Top 7 (maizenbrew.com; Jerzykowski)

Potential 2020 No. 1 Recruit Discusses Offers, Including Michigan
According to Steve Wiltfong of Wolverine247 (FREE), the potential 2020 number one overall recruit, Sav’ell Smalls, is a name that Michigan fans should keep their eye on. Smalls, an outside linebacker from Washington, already has offers from Michigan, Oregon, and UCLA, among others.

Washington and Oregon appear to be two very early favorites for Smalls.

2018 4* QB Lists Michigan in Top 7
Per his Twitter page and Maize ‘N Brew this week, 2018 four-star dual-threat quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson has included Michigan in his list of top seven schools. According to his tweet on Tuesday night, he also included Cal, Florida State, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, and UCLA in his top schools.

He is the fourth-overall dual-threat QB in his class and 50th in the nation in the 2018 cycle. He is scheduled to visit Michigan on April 11.

2018 3* TE Visited Michigan Tuesday
According to MnB on Tuesday, 2018 three-star tight end Lee Payton visited Ann Arbor this week. He has not yet received an offer from the Wolverines.

The 247Composite lists him as the 27th-best TE in his class and 17th overall in the state of Michigan. His offer list includes Florida, Syracuse, and Eastern Michigan, among others.

AR-170329511.jpg&updated=201703222203&MaxW=800&maxH=800&noborder

Lake Zurich's Sanborn commits to Wisconsin (dailyherald.com)

Lake Zurich junior all-state linebacker Jack Sanborn announced on Twitter Wednesday night that he has verbally committed to the University of Wisconsin.

Sanborn tweeted the following:

"First off, I want to thank God for shaping me into the man and player I am today and giving me all of these tremendous opportunities. I am so thankful for everything that has happened to me and I want to say thank you to my whole family, especially my mom, Coach Proffitt, each and every one of my coaches who have helped me get to where I am, my teammates, and the great town of LZ as the constant support I have from everyone means so much to my family and I. Lastly, I want to thank every school that has given me an opportunity to play for them, but after discussing it with my family and coaches I have decided to commit to the University of Wisconsin. #onwisconsin"

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound Sanborn is listed as a four-star recruit by 247Sports.com, which ranks him as the nation's No. 7 inside linebacker (152nd overall) and No. 2 prospect at the position in the state. He had offers from Michigan State, Iowa, Cornell, Yale, Cincinnati, Vanderbilt, Duke, Indiana, Iowa State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Toledo, Bowling Green, Northern Illinois and Syracuse.

Last season, Sanborn registered 77 tackles, including 14 for loss, for the Bears and coach David Proffitt. He was named to the Class 7A all-state team.

Top Returning ACC Cornerbacks For 2017 (Campusinsiders.com; Cirminello)

In a deep crop of returning ACC cornerbacks for 2017, who’ll climb to the top of the talented defenders.

It could be a challenging 2017 for ACC quarterbacks, who no longer have Deshaun Watson, Mitch Trubisky, Nate Peterman, Brad Kaaya and Jerod Evans to count on. Plus, the league will be home to a handful of very good corners, from Tarvarus McFadden in Tallahassee and Jaire Alexander in Louisville to a host of potential lockdown types in Blacksburg. McFadden versus Alexander ought to be especially interesting, since the juniors’ trajectory could impact both the upcoming season in the ACC as well as the opening round of the 2018 NFL Draft.

Top Returning ACC Cornerbacks
5. Brandon Facyson, Virginia Tech
When Facyson announced he’d be returning for his senior year, it solidified that the Hokies would have the deepest cornerback corps in the ACC in 2017. Facyson, Greg Stroman and Adonis Alexander are all talented, experienced and long. The 6-foot-2, 197-pound Facyson has started 36 career games, despite being saddled with knee and leg problems. He played all 14 games a year ago, leading Tech with 11 pass breakups, but he hasn’t intercepted a pass since picking off five as a rookie in 2013.

4. M.J. Stewart, North Carolina
Stewart is back for one final season to anchor the back end of the Carolina defense. He’s a versatile and active playmaker for the Heels, earning All-ACC recognition in each of the last two years. At 5-foot-11 and 200 pounds, Stewart is also thicker and more physical than most corners, allowing him to defend the run and outmuscle receivers on 50/50 balls. His production dipped in 2016, though he still produced 66 stops, 3.5 tackles for loss and team-highs with 11 pass breakups, three fumble recoveries and two forced fumbles.

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Spring Football Preview | InsideTheACC (sportswar.com; McDaniel)

Georgia Tech has opened their 2017 spring practice with questions abound as they look to replace their starting quarterback, Justin Thomas, while breaking in some new faces at running back and in the front seven.

Joey Weaver of SB Nation’s From The Rumble Seat and the Basketball Conference Podcast joins Mark Rogers to discuss the state of the Yellow Jackets entering spring ball.

Other

-2158c26b91b43668.jpg

Stadium Cross, Syracuse Half Marathon: 12 things to do this weekend in CNY (PS; Pucci)

Happy first weekend of spring, Central New York! Fortunately, there are lots of things to do while we wait for the snow to melt.

1. Riff Raff

The eccentric cornrowed rapper was originally scheduled to play in Syracuse in January, but the concert was postponed due to weather.

Where: The Lost Horizon, 5863 Thompson Road, Syracuse.

When: Thursday, March 23, at 6:30 p.m. Doors open at 6 p.m.

How much: Tickets are $20 in advance or $25 at the door. VIP tickets are $70 and include a meet and greet, autograph and photo session with Riff Raff.

2. Assault City Roller Derby's Women's History Month Bout

The Syracuse squad kicks off its 10th season in a match-up against the B.C. Rollers'Parlor City Tricks.

Where: SRC Arena and Events Center, Onondaga Community College, 4585 W. Seneca Turnpike, Onondaga.

When: Friday, March 24 at 7 p.m. Doors open at 6 p.m.

How much: Adults: $10. OCC students with ID: $1. Children ages 12 and under are free.

I coached against Brickman last year... I'm surprised... Good for him getting that walk on spot though.

If true, absolutely fantastic. Without a doubt, necessary to the future of the game... That being said, it's very hard for me to believe that this data is quantifiable.

http://img.At their request, this network is being blocked from this site./sites/default/files/styles/primary_image/public/2015/12/28/Quade%20Green%20NG.jpg
Welcome to Near Miss Day!

March 23 is Near Miss Day, an annual reminder of the day in 1989 when an asteroid nearly collided with the Earth. The 300-meter wide asteroid called 4581 Asclepius flew past the Earth by a distance of about 450,000 miles (684,000 kms) and almost missed striking it by 6 hours.

SU News

Csa9MoFWYAAwCQt.jpg

Wednesday Michigan Recruiting Roundup: 2018 4* QB Lists Michigan in Top 7 (maizenbrew.com; Jerzykowski)

Potential 2020 No. 1 Recruit Discusses Offers, Including Michigan
According to Steve Wiltfong of Wolverine247 (FREE), the potential 2020 number one overall recruit, Sav’ell Smalls, is a name that Michigan fans should keep their eye on. Smalls, an outside linebacker from Washington, already has offers from Michigan, Oregon, and UCLA, among others.

Washington and Oregon appear to be two very early favorites for Smalls.

2018 4* QB Lists Michigan in Top 7
Per his Twitter page and Maize ‘N Brew this week, 2018 four-star dual-threat quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson has included Michigan in his list of top seven schools. According to his tweet on Tuesday night, he also included Cal, Florida State, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, and UCLA in his top schools.

He is the fourth-overall dual-threat QB in his class and 50th in the nation in the 2018 cycle. He is scheduled to visit Michigan on April 11.

2018 3* TE Visited Michigan Tuesday
According to MnB on Tuesday, 2018 three-star tight end Lee Payton visited Ann Arbor this week. He has not yet received an offer from the Wolverines.

The 247Composite lists him as the 27th-best TE in his class and 17th overall in the state of Michigan. His offer list includes Florida, Syracuse, and Eastern Michigan, among others.

AR-170329511.jpg&updated=201703222203&MaxW=800&maxH=800&noborder

Lake Zurich's Sanborn commits to Wisconsin (dailyherald.com)

Lake Zurich junior all-state linebacker Jack Sanborn announced on Twitter Wednesday night that he has verbally committed to the University of Wisconsin.

Sanborn tweeted the following:

"First off, I want to thank God for shaping me into the man and player I am today and giving me all of these tremendous opportunities. I am so thankful for everything that has happened to me and I want to say thank you to my whole family, especially my mom, Coach Proffitt, each and every one of my coaches who have helped me get to where I am, my teammates, and the great town of LZ as the constant support I have from everyone means so much to my family and I. Lastly, I want to thank every school that has given me an opportunity to play for them, but after discussing it with my family and coaches I have decided to commit to the University of Wisconsin. #onwisconsin"

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound Sanborn is listed as a four-star recruit by No links to allowed on this site.com, which ranks him as the nation's No. 7 inside linebacker (152nd overall) and No. 2 prospect at the position in the state. He had offers from Michigan State, Iowa, Cornell, Yale, Cincinnati, Vanderbilt, Duke, Indiana, Iowa State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Toledo, Bowling Green, Northern Illinois and Syracuse.

Last season, Sanborn registered 77 tackles, including 14 for loss, for the Bears and coach David Proffitt. He was named to the Class 7A all-state team.

Top Returning ACC Cornerbacks For 2017 (Campusinsiders.com; Cirminello)

In a deep crop of returning ACC cornerbacks for 2017, who’ll climb to the top of the talented defenders.

It could be a challenging 2017 for ACC quarterbacks, who no longer have Deshaun Watson, Mitch Trubisky, Nate Peterman, Brad Kaaya and Jerod Evans to count on. Plus, the league will be home to a handful of very good corners, from Tarvarus McFadden in Tallahassee and Jaire Alexander in Louisville to a host of potential lockdown types in Blacksburg. McFadden versus Alexander ought to be especially interesting, since the juniors’ trajectory could impact both the upcoming season in the ACC as well as the opening round of the 2018 NFL Draft.

Top Returning ACC Cornerbacks
5. Brandon Facyson, Virginia Tech
When Facyson announced he’d be returning for his senior year, it solidified that the Hokies would have the deepest cornerback corps in the ACC in 2017. Facyson, Greg Stroman and Adonis Alexander are all talented, experienced and long. The 6-foot-2, 197-pound Facyson has started 36 career games, despite being saddled with knee and leg problems. He played all 14 games a year ago, leading Tech with 11 pass breakups, but he hasn’t intercepted a pass since picking off five as a rookie in 2013.

4. M.J. Stewart, North Carolina
Stewart is back for one final season to anchor the back end of the Carolina defense. He’s a versatile and active playmaker for the Heels, earning All-ACC recognition in each of the last two years. At 5-foot-11 and 200 pounds, Stewart is also thicker and more physical than most corners, allowing him to defend the run and outmuscle receivers on 50/50 balls. His production dipped in 2016, though he still produced 66 stops, 3.5 tackles for loss and team-highs with 11 pass breakups, three fumble recoveries and two forced fumbles.

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Spring Football Preview | InsideTheACC (sportswar.com; McDaniel)

Georgia Tech has opened their 2017 spring practice with questions abound as they look to replace their starting quarterback, Justin Thomas, while breaking in some new faces at running back and in the front seven.

Joey Weaver of SB Nation’s From The Rumble Seat and the Basketball Conference Podcast joins Mark Rogers to discuss the state of the Yellow Jackets entering spring ball.

Other

-2158c26b91b43668.jpg

Stadium Cross, Syracuse Half Marathon: 12 things to do this weekend in CNY (PS; Pucci)

Happy first weekend of spring, Central New York! Fortunately, there are lots of things to do while we wait for the snow to melt.

1. Riff Raff

The eccentric cornrowed rapper was originally scheduled to play in Syracuse in January, but the concert was postponed due to weather.

Where: The Lost Horizon, 5863 Thompson Road, Syracuse.

When: Thursday, March 23, at 6:30 p.m. Doors open at 6 p.m.

How much: Tickets are $20 in advance or $25 at the door. VIP tickets are $70 and include a meet and greet, autograph and photo session with Riff Raff.

2. Assault City Roller Derby's Women's History Month Bout

The Syracuse squad kicks off its 10th season in a match-up against the B.C. Rollers'Parlor City Tricks.

Where: SRC Arena and Events Center, Onondaga Community College, 4585 W. Seneca Turnpike, Onondaga.

When: Friday, March 24 at 7 p.m. Doors open at 6 p.m.

How much: Adults: $10. OCC students with ID: $1. Children ages 12 and under are free.
Isn't "almost missed striking" the equivelent of "did strike".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom