Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Pigs+in+a+Blanket+cartoon.jpg

Welcome to National Pigs-in-a-Blanket Day!

On April 24, observe National Pigs-in-a-Blanket Day with just a few ingredients. Celebrated across the world, the term often refers to a variety of different dishes. In the United States, Pigs-in-a-Blanket are often hot dogs or sausages wrapped in biscuit or croissant dough and baked. Pigs-in-a-Blanket are generally served as an appetizer or as breakfast. However, it can be served any mealtime!

SU News

-a8b3215f9e7aa4fb.JPG

A conspiracy theorist’s review of the Syracuse Football Spring Showcase - The Juice Online (the juice; Stechschulte)

Saturday morning, Syracuse showed the fruits of their labor in spring practice at the Carrier Dome in their Spring Showcase. Actually, instead of fruits, what the Orange showed was more like a few tiny grapes and an overripe strawberry left on a picked over fruit tray.

With Dino Babers calling the shots, the team showed very little and that choice to barely tip his hand is undoubtedly his doing. In fact, calling the display “vanilla” is an overstatement. What is the absence of flavor?

After the competition was complete, Babers admitted they wanted to run 75 plays, which pretty closely jives with what appears in the official stats. Both the coach and linebacker Zaire Franklin fessed up that the real work of the spring was done about a mile south-southeast of the Carrier Dome in the preceding 14 physical practices at the Ensley Center and that Saturday was more for the fans than the team.

So, what the fans got was in sharp contrast to last year’s spring display. With Babers and his high-powered offensive scheme new to SU, last April’s display was different in structure and massively different in results.

Syracuse Football: There Must Be Something In The Water (Arthur Jones) (itlh.com; Edsen Sr)

Syracuse football (The Arthur Jones Story) is a continuing thread of a four-part series. On this edition Paul A. Esden Sr explains a “pump-fake”.

This story-line is going to be a little outside the normal box for “Inside the Loud House”. We will break down his sons in the coming weeks, two of which laced up their cleats for the Syracuse Orange. If you missed, Part 1 you can read that below:

While we (knowledgeable football fans) understand the concept of the ‘pump fake’. It has become a part of our everyday vernacular. So to translate it to a media term: I left you last time with a cliff hanger with the promise of Part Two jumping into Jon ‘Bones’ Jones well I am pulling a bait and switch. This article will discuss another World Champion in the Jones family instead (to allow time for the suspense to build) and to stick to a football theme since this is the Spring Game weekend.

Arthur Willis Jones III is the oldest of the Jones Championship Triplets. He was born in Rochester, New York later moving to Endicott where he was a two sport star in wrestling and football. Now here is the ‘reveal’ of why I started with Arthur instead of jumping into his more flashy and controversial brother. Drum roll please…Arthur played the toughest and most unappreciated position in football…the Nose Tackle.

Breaking down the Nose Tackle position:

So let me break down this position for the readers who may not be football savvy. The Nose Tackle plays directly opposite of the center. His job is to hold the line. This means his job is to engage the center, take on double or triple teams to free up the linebackers to make the tackles and get the glory. Every snap for this position is a fist fight or gauntlet if you will, 20 seconds of fighting for your life; getting punched, eye poked and sometimes bitten.

springgame_jessicaSheldon-9.jpg

Observations from the Syracuse spring game (DO; Langer)

Team Orange, comprised mainly of the first team on the depth chart, defeated Team White, comprised mainly of the second and third team, in the 2017 Spring Showcase, a culmination of the Syracuse spring season. It was the first look at SU since the end of the 2016 season in November.

Here are superlatives from the game, and below are a few observations from the day.

Changes along the offensive line

Airon Servais, who redshirted last year, came out as the starting center today. Colin Byrne started most of the games last year (after original started Jason Emerich got knocked out for the season in week 2), but he played exclusively with Team White on Saturday. Servias impressed starting quarterback Eric Dungey with his play.

“As the summer goes on we’re just going to get more chemistry on and off the field,” Dungey said. “Jason Emerich and I, we had a really good relationship, as well as Colin Byrne and I, so I’m sure Airon and I will have a good relationship moving forward.”

In the second quarter, Aaron Roberts, who started all 12 games at guard last year, went down and stayed down on the field for a while. He got up and walked off the field, with a trainer holding his left arm. Syracuse head coach Dino Babers said there was not yet an update on him.

Servais also showed some positional versatility. After Roberts went down, Servais slid over to his right guard spot and redshirt freshman Sam Heckel took over at center.

Other

carmellas-cafe-kevin-newlandsjpg-3367d2de1d17b283.jpg

We asked, you answered: Where to find the best chicken riggies in Central New York (PS; Pucci)

Chicken riggies is nearly ubiquitous at Italian restaurants across Central New York, but hard to find elsewhere, which is part of the reason why the dish of rigatoni pasta, chicken and peppers tossed with a spicy tomato sauce is so beloved.

We asked you where the places are for chicken riggies and you answered with dozens of your favorites.

Here is a look at the some of the choices we've received so far, listed in alphabetical order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom