Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Candied-Orange-Peel-Day-May-4-1024x512.jpg

Welcome to National Candied Orange Peel Day!

National Candied Orange Peel Day is observed annually on May 4th. Candied Orange Peels are a boiled, sliced and sugared treat. They are very popular with chefs and bakers as well as often used during the holidays in cookies, fruitcakes and other snacks. They can also be eaten by themselves.

SU News

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-02%20at%2010.32.46%20PM_1493849114755_20648195_ver1.0_640_360.png

SU scores big in the classroom with latest NCAA report (localsyr.com)

Syracuse University athletes are scoring big in the classroom according to the NCAA’s latest academic progress rate released Wednesday.

The report covers up to the 2015-2016 academic year and shows 14 teams with perfect scores up from 11 last academic year.

The Syracuse men’s basketball and women’s soccer teams achieved perfect four year multi-year rates.

It marked the second consecutive year that the women’s soccer squad has earned the recognition.

For the 2015-16 academic year, each of Syracuse’s programs surpassed the minimum threshold of 930.

Rick Burton is a Sports Management Professor at SU’s Falk College and also serves as the school’s Faculty Athletic Representative to the ACC and NCAA.

"And the expectation is that I'm going to be a great student and the coaches are recruiting that way and the kids are getting here and going wait a minute I'm going to get a great degree by the time I'm finished." Burton tells NewsChannel 9.

Tommy Powell, the Assistant Provost for Student Athlete Academic Development at SU, says, "These numbers translate into student athletes having a great experience both athletically and academically."

Among the specific highlights at Syracuse are:

• The women’s soccer program and men’s basketball program had a perfect 1,000 multi-year average.

• Fourteen programs posted perfect scores of 1,000 in a single year, including men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s cross country, men’s and women’s lacrosse, men’s and women’s indoor and outdoor track & field, ice hockey, women’s soccer, tennis and volleyball.

22606306-mmmain.jpg

Ohio LB Antwuan Johnson high on Syracuse football, plans to take official visit (PS; Bailey)

Antwuan Johnson wears his Syracuse University hoodie so often, many of his peers at Dunbar (Dayton, Ohio) High School believe the standout linebacker is already committed to the Orange.

Johnson believes his bond with the SU coaching staff is stronger than any other. He sees a post-football career on Wall Street starting with business classes at the Whitman School of Management. He expects Orange head coach Dino Babers to turn around the program and compete for an Atlantic Coast Conference Championship.

But Johnson is taking his time with his second recruitment after his initial pledge to Michigan ended in a decommitment. He released a Top 9 on Tuesday.

Top 9 #savage[?] #watchgodwork[?] [?] pic.twitter.com/oL9UGVIjTR

-- Antwuan Johnson (@Antwuan21) May 2, 2017
The 6-foot-2, 225-pound junior is listening to coaching staffs that haven't offered yet. He plans to take all five of his official visits before making a decision, though he said Syracuse, Louisville and likely Cincinnati will receive ones. And rather than put out a Top 5, as initially planned, he thought a Top 9 might create more incentive for schools to keep recruiting him.

Still, toward the end of a 20-minute phone interview on Wednesday, he couldn't help but hint at SU's strong standing.

"If everything goes well with these visits, I think Syracuse will be getting a surprise out of me," Johnson said. "I'll make (defensive coordinator/linebackers coach Brian) Ward, Coach Babers and (defensive ends) coach (Steve) Stanard's day if everything goes right."

Odds Are Stacked Against Amba Etta-Tawo, But Here’s Why He’ll Make It (itlh.com; Edsen Jr)

Amba Etta-Tawo didn’t get drafted, but he did sign a deal with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Will he make it on the final 53 man roster?
Here’s the good news, Amba Etta-Tawo finds himself on a NFL roster. The bad news? He’s one of 13 wide receivers on the Jacksonville Jaguars (per Jaguars.com). More bad news, he came in as an undrafted free agent, so he’s starting on the bottom.

Seeing him go undrafted was a pretty big surprise for me, for multiple reasons. According to the pre-draft grades from Todd McShay, Etta-Tawo was projected as a fifth round pick.

Following his impressive Pro Day where he blazed the 40 and showed off more consistent hands, a Day 2 pick seemingly was in his future. So overall I’m not sure what happened. I watched every minute of the NFL Draft that spanned three days, 72+ hours of coverage, and saw countless wide receivers taken before Etta-Tawo.

There’s no bias, a ton of the receivers drafted late had lower grades on my big board anyway. But it does no good to cry over spilled milk, he is on a roster, so he has a chance.

Possessing an extensive knowledge of the Jaguars roster there are already four-six locks to make the roster whether due to contract, status, or trust. So there’s not a lot of room for Amba, but there’s a glimmer of hope.

Familiarity?

While Amba wasn’t at SU when Doug Marrone or Tom Coughlin were there, he has familiarity up top, which can’t hurt. His scouting report from the major media markets paints a promising future for the former Orange wideout:

The recruiting cycle always introduces us to new stars in the ACC, some expected and some, not expected. UNC's Michael Carter, Louisville's Dez Fitzpatrick and FSU's Cam Akers are among the freshman who arrived in the spring and made their presence felt right away. Check out the Top 3 Impact Freshmen during the spring right here!

Other

22605268-mmmain.jpg

What's your favorite meal at Grimaldi's? Share your memories (PS; Weaver)

Fred Grimaldi's restaurants were known for Sicilian-style foods.

Grimaldi's in Utica, Syracuse and Colonie. Grimaldi's Chop House in DeWitt. Pasta Ceci and Johnnie's Open Hearth. These are just some of the restaurants he ran, some with partners, over the years.

Grimaldi, 78, died unexpectedly on Monday.

What are your favorite memories of eating at a Grimaldi family restaurant? Did you celebrate an important anniversary of birthday there?

Please tell us in the comments below. Share your food and holiday memories from these meals. Send photos if you can.

Sam Blum @SamBlum3 15m15 minutes ago
Need to correct a previous tweet, thanks to @pschweds. Apparently the Ryan Norton on SBU lacrosse, was Syracuse's football kicker.

To recap, the Ryan Norton that kicked for Cuse and was arrested for unlawful possession of alcohol, just scored his first career lax goal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom