Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
slide_image_062612-tau-day-1-100293588-gallery.idge.jpg

Welcome to Tau Day!

Tau Day is an annual celebration of the circle constant τ = 6.283185…, which takes place every June 28 (6/28 in the American calendar system). To learn more about what τ is and why it is important, read The Tau Manifesto, or watch one of the tau videosbelow.

To get all the latest updates on tau, read the State of the Tau 2017, and join the official tau email list.

SU News

5821423502192.image.jpg

CLEMSON FOOTBALL: A way too early look at Syracuse (thetandd.com; Lentz)

With the football season less than 10 weeks away, it is never too soon to begin to look at the opponents who will try to derail the Clemson Tigers’ quest for a second-consecutive national championship and their third appearance in the College Football Playoff in as many years.

Today, we continue our series with the Tigers' seventh opponent — the Syracuse Orange, who they will play in the Carrier Dome on Friday the 13th of October.

Head Coach:

First-year head coach Dino Babers was brought into the Syracuse fold to light a fire under not only the football team but the fan base as well — and that is exactly what he did, bringing his warp-speed, high-flying offense to the great northeast.

The former Baylor assistant coach, and former head coach at Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green, quickly learned that there is a big difference between winning at the mid-major level and winning in the ACC, as he struggled to a 4-8 season in his first year.

Now entering year two, Babers understands that it will take some time to reach the level of the ACC’s elite programs — Clemson and Florida State.

“I think the biggest thing is that we were really, really far behind, obviously; and when you look at the top people in the conference, the Florida States and the Clemsons, and what they have available to them compared to where some of the schools that are not so far up at the top, I think it’s a huge disadvantage for us,” Babers said. “And if you’re really serious about being competitive in the ACC, if you’re really serious about winning, you may not need to have everything that they have, but
there’s definitely some things that they do there at those schools that we need to be involved in.”

Dino Babers Made A Tactical Error And It Could Cost SU Big Time (itlh.com; Edsen Jr)

Syracuse Football head coach Dino Babers is ushering a new era of football to the Carrier Dome. But is he being too willy nilly? We discuss.

I can’t say enough how great of a job, Dino Babers, has been doing for the Syracuse football team. It may not show in the record yet, but the waves are a coming.

Especially when it comes to getting recruits locally.

The high-octane, fast paced offense is hyping up the fan base and potential recruits. I’ve interviewed countless commits who have been ecstatic about the passing game.

Defense may win championships, but offenses gets asses in those seats. But and there’s always a butt in these stories.

He made a slip up that could cost the Orange in a huge way. So here’s the scoop:

SU got a verbal commitment from Juan Wallace at linebacker. This guy is a three-star prospect who’s also top-40 at his position per 247sports.com composite rankings. He’s one of only two linebackers that have pledged their allegiance to the Orange mothership, along with Ja’Quirius Smith.

Despite that commitment, Wallace wanted to “test the waters” and see what else is out there. He asked for Dino Babers’ “blessing” to visit other schools and enjoy the collegiate recruiting experience.

Here’s my thing, once you commit somewhere you commit. It’s like me dating my girlfriend for
three years and despite that commitment I want to “try out other women” so I can enjoy the life experience. While at the same time enjoying the security of knowing I have my girlfriend waiting at home or in this case a power-five offer from Syracuse.

Buffalo Builds $18 Million Dollar Football Facility (hustlebelt.com; Snyder)

According to this story from the Buffalo News, the Buffalo Bulls are going to get a field house to practice football indoors, like the vast majority of division one football teams. It makes perfect sense, because they are in Buffalo and the weather sucks. It also makes sense if you are trying to get recruits and compete at the highest level. 10 of the 12 MAC teams have one, so on the surface, we really shouldn’t begrudge Buffalo for getting one.

However, most of us bloggers at Hustle Belt do exactly that. To be fair, Buffalo is the new guy, both to the conference and to division 1 football. There is already a natural bias. It’s compounded since they aren’t actually in the Midwest. I’ll be frank, there would probably be a negative side to the story anyway. It’s a stage in becoming blood brothers. Haze, fight, lifelong friends.

Lucky for us, Buffalo made it easy to hate this move. To a man, we all agree it makes perfect sense to build this facility. But to understand where our venom comes from, you have to understand the very essence of a MAC fan. We aren’t mainstream. We like the niche’. The underdog rules our very existence. In this case, we feel for the underdog that got thrown to the curb to make this field house a reality.

Four “non-revenue” sports were cut in early April by the Buffalo athletic department. Quite frankly, every athlete who lost their sport should receive a brick in the new building with their name on it, at the very least. Their sacrifice was great, and it matters not if they were willing participants.

Of course Buffalo isn’t going to acknowledge their loss was the football team’s gain. They’ll spin it like a sleazy two-bit politician. The money came from private donations, and loans and all that good stuff. The trimming of 2 million per year has nothing to do with maintaining this new facility, or so they will say, because they don’t want to put a personal cost to it.

ACC Announces Student-Athletes Attending the 2017 ACC Football Kickoff | News (theacc.com)

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the 28 football student-athletes who have been chosen by its 14 league schools to attend the 2017 ACC Football Kickoff, July 13-14 at the Westin Charlotte located in Charlotte, N.C.

The football student-athletes who will be attending the 2017 ACC Football Kickoff are:

Team Student-Athletes, Position, Ht., Wt., Hometown
Boston College
Jon Baker, Offensive Lineman, 6-3, 298, Senior, Millis, Mass.
Harold Landry, Defensive End, 6-3, 250, Senior, Spring Lake, N.C.
Clemson
Tyrone Crowder, Offensive Guard, 6-2, 340, Redshirt Senior, Marston, N.C.
Christian Wilkins, Defensive Tackle, 6-4, 310, Junior, Springfield, Mass.
Duke
Daniel Jones, Quarterback, 6-5, 210, Redshirt Sophomore, Charlotte, N.C.
Bryon Fields, Jr., Cornerback, 5-11, 185, Redshirt Senior, Charlotte, N.C.

ACC Wild Card Players in 2017 (athlon.com; Kinne)

It is true that Clemson won the national title in large part because of their stars. Deshaun Watson and Mike Williams and Ben Boulware were big producers as well as being leaders for the Tigers.

But it is very rare for a player to arrive at a school as a star and live up to the hype immediately. More often there is a development period before these players become household names.

Here are two wild card players from each ACC program that could blossom in 2017 and play a large part in determining their team's success.

ACC Atlantic

Boston College Eagles

Offense: Darius Wade, Quarterback

It is the position where Boston College has struggled the most over the past few years. Wade will be challenged by redshirt freshman Anthony Brown, but the junior will probably start and be the key to improving the Eagles’ offense.

Defense: Lukas Dennis, Defensive Back

A junior from Everett, Mass., Dennis is capable of playing multiple positions in the secondary. That alone makes him a valuable commodity, but a strong spring put him in position to be a starter at safety when the season opens.

Other

dafb825c-a869-49f9-9d47-79c398701762-large16x9_syracuse1.png

Syracuse ranked as one of 'best places to live in the U.S. for quality of life' (cnycentral.com)

A week after the website 24/7 Wall St. ranked the city of Syracuse as "one of the worst U.S. cities to live in," the city found a spot on a more positive list.

U.S. News & World Report placed Syracuse at no. 18 on its "Best Places to Live in the U.S. for Quality of Life in 2017" rankings.

The metro areas listed are based off the best education, health services and crime rates.

Syracuse was cited for its easy access to quality health care and an average commuting time of just 21 minutes.

Two other upstate cities ranked in the list's top 25. Rochester was placed at no. 20 and Albany at 21.

so in reality Dungey was the best at this if you factor in playing about half the season, he probably adds close to 500 yds onto that if he doesnt get hurt

I guess it's good for the kids, but it doesn't seem good for anyone but the big boys otherwise

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom