Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
allornothingday.png

Welcome to National All or Nothing Day!

It’s time to quit testing the waters and playing the “what if” game. July 26th is National All or Nothing Day! Whether it’s a job commitment, overcoming a fear, or even a relationship, now is the time to fully commit. Force yourself to make a decision – all or nothing. In the end, you’ll feel better that you no longer have those questions lingering on your mind. Now or never. We’re all-in, are you?

SU News

Syracuse football head coach makes the rounds at ESPN headquarters in Bristol, Connecticut as he takes part in their "coach's carwash"

Four Accomplished Alumni to Receive Arents Awards During Orange Central (syr.edu; Boccacino)

This fall during Orange Central, the Syracuse University Alumni Association will recognize four exceptional alumni for excellence and innovation in their fields during the Arents Awards Celebration. The Arents Award is Syracuse University’s highest alumni honor.

The 2017 Arents Award recipients boast diverse and successful backgrounds. They are: Tom Coughlin ’68, G’69, a decorated National Football League coach; Daniel A. D’Aniello ’68, co-founder of a successful global asset management company and a committed philanthropist; Diane Nelson ’89, president of DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Consumer Products; and Mary Spio ’98, a pioneer in digital cinema and virtual reality.

The Arents Award honors the legacy of George Arents, a successful manufacturer who served on the Syracuse University Board of Trustees from 1930 until his death in 1960.

The Arents Awards Celebration on Friday, Oct. 6, will begin with a cocktail party from 5-6 p.m. in the Panasci Lounge, Schine Student Center, followed by a dinner and awards presentation from 6-8:30 p.m. in Goldstein Auditorium, Schine Student Center.

For more information about the Arents event or any of the more than 50 Orange Central programs, go here.

Tom Coughlin ’68, G’69

Coughlin250x293.jpg

Tom Coughlin

Coughlin is the executive vice president of football operations for the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League (NFL), overseeing the Jaguars’ day-to-day football operations. His decorated NFL career spans 29 years, including 20 seasons as a head coach.

Coughlin coached the New York Giants to Super Bowl championships in 2008 and 2012. His overall coaching record of 182-157 (a .537 winning percentage) is 12th on the NFL’s all-time coaching wins list, and his 12 playoff wins rank seventh in league history. Coughlin, who recently earned a spot in the Giants’ Ring of Honor, also served as the NFL’s senior advisor to football operations before the Jaguars hired him in January 2017.

5977de54daaf3.image.jpg

Is the ACC Atlantic Division the toughest in college football? (courier-journal.com; video)

Bryant McFadden unveils his three best divisions in all of college football.

ACC football 2017: BC star thrives outside comfort zone (roanoke.com; Doughty)

Players from Boston College don’t usually attract the kind of attention that Harold Landry received at the ACC Football Kickoff, earlier this month in Charlotte, North Carolina.

In Landry’s case, it made a difference that he was from North Carolina, hardly an area where northeastern football programs like BC’s can expect to make a living.

Landry is from the southeastern North Carolina town of Spring Lake, not far from Fayetteville, which may have accounted for some extra media interest in the Football Bowl Subdivision’s leading pass rusher.

Still, Landry wasn’t swarmed by reporters, at least not in the same way he rushed opposing quarterbacks in 2016, when he registered 16 ½ sacks.

“I’d say it was a pretty quick ascent,” Boston College head coach Steve Addazio said. “I don’t want to say it was out of nowhere because that wouldn’t be fair. I think he just popped; he matured and blossomed.

“He’s never redshirted, so this is his true fourth year. I don’t get caught in the numbers of stats but the goal is to have an equally great year and I think he will.”

Top 3 Breakout Running Back Candidates | ACC Football | Videos

TOP 3 BREAKOUT RUNNING BACKS: THE ACC LOST A TON OF TALENT IN THE BACKFIELD FROM LAST SEASON WHICH MEANS THE DOOR IS OPEN FOR SOME BREAKOUT SEASON. HERE ARE THE TOP 3 BREAKOUT RUNNING BACK CANDIDATES FOR THE 2017 SEASON.

NCAA rule ending two-a-days forces college football teams to adjust (PS; AP)

The two-a-day football practices that coaches once used to toughen up their teams and cram for the start of the season are going the way of tear-away jerseys and the wishbone formation.

As part of its efforts to increase safety, the NCAA approved a plan this year that prevents teams from holding multiple practices with contact in a single day.

The move has forced plenty of schools to alter their practice calendar, with many teams opening their preseason as early as this week. Officials don't mind if it causes a few logistical headaches as long as it reduces the head injuries that had become all too common this time of year.

According to the NCAA's Sport Science Institute, 58 percent of the football practice concussions that occur over the course of a year happen during the preseason. Brian Hainline, the NCAA's chief medical officer, says August also is a peak month for catastrophic injuries resulting from conditioning rather than contact, such as heatstroke and cardiac arrest.

"There was just something about that month really stood out," Hainline said. "We couldn't say with statistical certainty if this was because of the two-a-days, but there was enough consensus in the room and enough preliminary data that it looked like it was because of the two-a-days."

Which Positions Should We Be Most and Least Concerned About? | Otto's Grove (.com; Kelly)

I don’t know if you guys are aware, but Syracuse kicks off (pun strenuously intended) fall camp on July 30. I know, I’m here breaking news for you. While a lot of Orange fans, myself included, have been focusing on the recruiting side of things, it’s time to start switching gear and focusing on the players we’ll actually be seeing on the field this year.

With that in mind, yesterday I posted a couple polls on Twitter to get a feel for which position units Orange fans were most worried about, and least worried about. When it comes to the unit that’s got cause for concern, I wasn’t overly surprised by the result. I was, however, pretty shocked at the unit that you, the fans, selected as the one that worries you least.

With that in mind, let’s dive right in with the results of yesterday’s “most worried” poll:

Which position unit worries you MOST in 2017?

— .com (@) July 24, 2017

It’s not a particularly big shock that, especially with the recent medical disqualifications of Steven Clark and JUCO transfer Josh Allen, defensive line is the unit causing you the most concern. It’s a completely valid concern, as well, based almost exclusively on the lack of depth. It’s never easy to lose players to injury, particularly when the unit in question is already young and thin.

Syracuse struggled to apply pressure to opposing quarterbacks last year, getting just 16.0 sacks for the season (compared to 38.0 for the Orange’s opposition, which brings up the cause for concern with the offensive line). Out of those 16.0 sacks, only 7.5 came from returning defensive linemen (4.0 for Chris Slayton, 1.5 for Josh Black, 1.0 for Kendall Coleman, 1.0 for McKinley Williams). That’s not the kind of productivity the defensive line needs to deliver to help the entire defense take a big step forward this season.

Other

1060x600-6ad900c389f57d5479d56719481b950d.jpg

Syracuse University alumnus tapped to serve as US ambassador to Afghanistan (DO; Muller)

President Donald Trump on July 20 tapped John R. Bass, a Syracuse University alumnus, to serve as the United States ambassador to Afghanistan.

A Class of 1986 graduate of the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Bass received a degree in international relations before beginning his diplomatic career in 1988.

Bass is currently the U.S. ambassador to Turkey, a position he has held since 2014. He previously served as executive director of the U.S. Department of State, the U.S. ambassador to Georgia and a diplomat in missions to Iraq, Italy, Belgium and Chad.

As ambassador to Afghanistan, Bass will lead State Department diplomatic efforts in a nation ravaged by war since the U.S. invasion in 2001. The Taliban, al-Qaida and the Islamic State continue to operate in Afghanistan.

Bass’ appointment comes as the Trump administration works to decide its future strategy in Afghanistan. Defense Secretary James Mattis said the administration is “close” to finalizing its plans, CNN reported Friday.

The U.S. Senate must confirm Bass’ nomination before he can assume his new role.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom