Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Nat%2527l%2BCB%2BDay%2BLogo.jpg

Welcome to National Comic Book Day!

Today is a day to celebrate the popular entertainment and collector's item, the comic book. The first American comic book is seen as being Famous Funnies, which was released in 1933, although many books and comics predated it and helped lead to its creation. For example, an 1842 hardcover book titled The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck was made up of comics. In the early 20th century periodicals that contained comics were printed in the United States. American comic books are divided into different eras. In 1938, the release of Superman launched the Golden Age of comic books. Superhero comics were introduced and very popular for most of this era. The Silver Age is seen as beginning with the introduction of Flash in 1956, which led to a rejuvenation in superhero comic books. The Fantastic Four and Spider-Man came about during this era, and the era lasted until sometime in the early 1970's, when the Bronze Age began, which lasted until the mid-1980's. From the end of the Bronze Age until the present day is known as the Modern Age. Non-mainstream comic books such as underground comix sprang up in the 1960's, followed by alternative comics in the 1980's. Comic book stores became popular in the 1970's, and comic book conventions are another way that collectors and comic book fans have connected and enjoyed their hobby.

SU News

What Are Syracuse’s 2018 Commits Saying About The LSU Game? – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Aki)

After last night’s intense battle in the Bayou between Syracuse and No. 25 LSU, there was a growing sense of pride and hope despite the Orange falling 35-26. It all started with a tweet from SU’s top 2018 recruit, four star center Tyrone Sampson:

People ask me why I committed to Syracuse, that's why. When this 2018 class gets there we will be beating teams in games like this

— T. Sampson (@TSamp_51) September 24, 2017

The Fizz reached out to recruits in the Class of 2018 to see what they thought about the game, and the optimism seems to be at an all-time high.

Trill Williams, ATH: I thought it was a good game [and] they fought hard, minus the dropped passes. I feel excited the program is headed in the right direction.

Cameron Jonas, Safety: I thought the boys played hard to win even though they fell short. I enjoyed watching them play and I just can’t wait to be on that stage next year. It’s really exciting [to be joining the program next year]. Been waiting a long time for the opportunity and now that it’s here, I’m going to make the most of it.

Gabe Horan, Tight End: I thought Syracuse played pretty well and I believe the future is bright for the Orange. I can’t wait [to join the program next year]. I think the 2018 recruiting class is really strong, so I think we can really make a big difference for the team.

Jawhar Jordan, Running Back: I am very proud of the team’s performance. Take away a few of the team’s errors and we got it. We just have to play through all four quarters. Again, proud to see an improvement. Now we just have to execute.

Anthony Queeley, Wide Receiver: Great game of course. Kind of bummed out about the end result, but it happens. I ultimately feel like we could’ve pulled away with the win, but we beat ourselves. Made too many mistakes that could made the outcome tremendously different. Proud of my family that competed to the end and never gave up. [That performance] makes me feel that I have an opportunity to come in a make a difference. I just have to keep working hard and staying focused.

Juan Wallace, Linebacker: I was really impressed with the defense and what they were able to do. It was a good and tough game. It feels great [to be joining this team next year]. Can’t wait.

Will Froumy, Offensive Tackle: LSU is pretty high in the rankings. Even though the Orange didn’t win, they were in that game until the end, and that says a lot about what this program is capable of and where it’s headed. I’m just excited to be along for the ride [next year].

-3d56145c77c3b619.jpg

buddha!

Syracuse football players know they let one get away at No. 25 LSU (commentary) (PS; commentary; Bailey)

Eric Dungey couldn't mask his anger.

Typically composed and thoughtful during postgame interviews -- even after losses -- he was bluntly honest when a TV reporter sought an optimistic sound bite from him Saturday night.

"Moral victories?" Dungey said. "Who cares. We want to win."

He was angry, and Dungey wasn't the only one. Three veteran SU players were still hot half an hour after the clock read 0:00 following SU's 35-26 loss to No. 25 LSU in Tiger Stadium. Senior linebacker Zaire Franklin offered a dead-fish handshake and said "it sucks to lose like that." Comrade Parris Bennett didn't hesitate when asked if it was a game the Orange could've or should've won.

"Should've."

These players, leaders on the team, knew they let one get away.

While it's only human to experience this course of emotions, as an outsider, it's easy for one to see a different perspective: SU played four quarters with LSU and was arguably better for a couple of them. One or two plays go the other way and it's the Tigers players who are left to grumpily answer questions from media members.

That might not change SU's record now, but it certainly changes the outlook of the season. Who's to say the Orange can't hang with a Florida State team that's without its starting quarterback and fell at home to North Carolina State on Saturday? How about a Louisville squad which allowed 35 points to North Carolina and 28 to Purdue?

What Syracuse Orange said following 35-26 loss to LSU Tigers (seccountry.com; Hickey)

On Saturday night in Death Valley, Syracuse didn’t look anything like a team that has lost to Middle Tennessee.

The Orange came in as 3-touchdown underdogs but gave LSU a legitimate scare, pulling within a field goal in the fourth quarter before head coach Ed Orgeron was forced to scramble his plans and put starting quarterback Danny Etling back in for backup Myles Brennan.

Here is what the Orange had to say about their trip to Tiger Stadium:

Syracuse coach Dino Babers
“Playing a team like that in a venue like this is extremely difficult. I’m extremely proud of my young men, but by no means are we satisfied with coming here and getting a close loss. We felt like there were enough plays out there for us to make and if we made the plays, we would have had the opportunity to win. We’re disappointed that we didn’t.”

On hanging closer with LSU than expected

“We shouldn’t be satisfied. There are going to be people that say, ‘Hey, that was a good game.’ We shouldn’t be satisfied, because we could have won that football game. We didn’t and they need to understand that hurts, and we need to go out and find a way to go out and win the next one.”

On his vastly improved defense, which allowed 76 points to Matt Canada at Pitt last season:

“I just think they played their you-know-whats off. The first play is seven [points] the other way, then another seven to start the second half. I don’t know how long that pass was, I want to say it was 55 yards in the air, and he just couldn’t run with the guy. [Drake Davis is] faster than us, so it’s kind of hard to yell at someone for that. Take away those 14 points, and it’s a different game.”

oie_ERgmcQbGk9NW-300x300.jpg

Syracuse football shows some spirit but still loses to LSU - The Juice Online (the juice; Stechschulte)

Saturday night, Syracuse dug themselves a quick hole and ended up making that hole a little too deep to get out of, eventually falling at #25 Louisiana State, 35-26. Eric Dungey threw an interception on the first play from scrimmage, allowing the Tigers (3-1) to get on the board nine seconds into the game and the Orange (2-2) had to play from behind the rest of the night.

That margin eventually grew to 18 points when LSU struck for an 87-yard touchdown pass on the first play following halftime. SU scrapped back from that 21-3 deficit, but could never get closer than two points before giving up the clinching score late in the game.

That opening interception set up LSU a yard outside of the Syracuse end zone and a quick handoff gave the hosts a touchdown and a 7-0 lead. Eric Dungey settled down early on the following Orange possession as the SU offense ignored the run, barely handing off and often lining up in empty backfield sets.

The drive bogged down in the red zone and Dungey had an interception in the end zone overturned by review. The review gave Cole Murphy a chance at a 42-yard field goal and he connected from the right hash, cutting the Tigers’ lead to 7-3 midway through the first.

The defenses owned most of the rest of the first half, permitting the occasional first down, but forcing the teams to trade punts. Sterling Hofrichter played a big part for Syracuse, as he twice pinned LSU inside their ten with punts that the Orange coverage units downed.

The Tigers struck late in the second quarter, getting a 43-yard touchdown pass to stretch their lead to 14-3 with 1:15 left in the opening half. SU could only muster one first down before punting back to LSU prior to the intermission.

Fizz Radio: Syracuse Football at LSU Round Table Discussion – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; podcast; Edelstein)

David Edelstein, JD Raucci and Tim Leonard break down the Syracuse football at LSU game from September 23, 2017.

The three discuss whether this game was what was expected, SU’s resilience, what went wrong for the Orange with the first two plays of the game, Derrius Guice’s role in the game, Devin C. Butler’s trick-play touchdown pass, Steve Ishmael’s performance, the difference maker in the game, the play of the game and what to say to Dino Babers going into next week.

Other

-aa67885f225a2ec8.JPG

Paul McCartney blazes through lifetime of music, sets Carrier Dome on fire (review) (PS; Tulloch)

Apart from Syracuse's long-awaited visit from music royalty, concertgoers may remember Saturday, Sept. 23 as the night Paul McCartney almost burned down the Carrier Dome.

OK, that's a little dramatic. But the singer's pyrotechnic effects for "Live and Let Die" literally set aflame the steel bars atop the righthand side of the stage. The blaze only licked a couple feet upward, but that was high enough under the Teflon-coated dometop for fans to point and panic a little.

A Dome staffer scampered up the side-stage ladder to swat the fire into submission, showering the stage below with glowing sparks. Several first-responders quickly blasted the embers with fire extinguishers while McCartney happily played "Hey Jude."

Paul's fireworks set a part of the stage on fire at the Carrier Dome. Awesome. [?] [?] [?] pic.twitter.com/DrMsZTTTMg

-- Katrina Tulloch (@katrinatulloch) September 24, 2017

Oh, and the music sizzled too.

Two of the greatest songwriters of the last century visited Syracuse within the last few months: McCartney and Bob Dylan. This review won't compare both shows. They're purposefully different performers and people. But while McCartney, 75, is just one year younger than Dylan, he might as well be half his age.

Last edited:
So a home and home vs Michigan or Ohio State is out for the foreseeable future? Is that what you're telling me?
Spoiled rich kids complaining about their cousin's house.