Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
stock-vector-national-sewing-machine-day-funny-unofficial-holiday-collection-june-420611176.jpg

Welcome to Sewing Machine Day!

Sewing machines, which are celebrated today, are used to stitch material like cloth or leather. They are usually powered by electricity, but many are still powered by a treadle, just as many early machines were. Their basic design has remained over the years, consisting of a needle, and a shuttle to carry thread. First being used in factories, they were a symbol of the industrial revolution, marking the shift from handmade to automated production. They also became important for home use. Women once spent much time sewing by hand, and the invention of the sewing machine helped free up a lot of this time.

SU News

usa_today_9579836.0.jpg

Notre Dame Football Opponent Summer Q&A: Syracuse Orange (onefootdown.com; Londergan)

We continue our Summer Notre Dame Fighting Irish football Q&As with a look at another ACC foe: the Syracuse Orange. The Orange won’t have to travel very far since the game has been moved to Yankee Stadium for a Shamrock Series game at 1:30 CT.

For more on what to expect from Cuse and their roster in 2018, we tossed a few questions in the direction of John Cassillo: managing editor of SBN’s Syracuse site NunesMagician.com.

1. What’s your overall impression of how Syracuse’s 2017 season went?

Uneven, really. Syracuse lost to Middle Tennessee, but also beat Clemson. The offense is entirely dependent on QB Eric Dungey, and when he’s injured, there’s little going on. Same seemed true of Jordan Martin, who was part of the Orange’s defensive resurgence early until he was injured around the mid-way point. Everything sort of went downhill from there and the defense went back to allowing big plays and giving up 40 or more to every opponent down the stretch. It was another 4-8 season, sure. But you could see things were starting to come together before injuries took hold.

Miami Hurricanes Games We Love: Syracuse 1992 (stateoftheu.com; Dottavio)

On November 21, 1992 the no. 1 Miami Hurricanes traveled up to Syracuse, NY to face the no. 8 Orangemen in the Carrier Dome. Miami, 9-0 before the classic against Syracuse, had survived three close calls already on the season to remain undefeated. The Orangemen were 9-1 with their lone loss coming to the no. 21 Ohio State Buckeyes in week three.

49,857 fans packed the Carrier Dome to witness tight end Chris Gedney fall three yards short for a 16-10 Miami victory. Syracuse Coach Paul Pasqualoniwas in only his second season in charge while Dennis Erickson already had two national championship rings on his hand as head coach of the ‘Canes. Pasqualoni’s option offense was guided by quarterback Marvin Graves. Graves threw for 2,296 yards and 14 touchdowns adding another five rushing touchdowns on the season. Miami quarterback Gino Torretta was poised to take home the 1992 Heisman Trophy award after posting back-to-back undefeated regular seasons in 1991 and 1992.

Miami came out dominant shutting down the Syracuse option offense and holding the Orangemen to -1 total yards in the first half. Graves took endless punishment all game as he was tackled for losses on nine different plays and hit after pitching on the option all afternoon. Miami overcame Torretta’s three interception performance and held a 16-0 lead in the third quarter after three Dane Prewitt field goals and a Larry Jones 11-yard touchdown run.

U.Va. football coach's comments on lack of talent raise eyebrows (pilotonline.com; Teel)

Blum vindicated, UVa fans embarrassed

Virginia football coach Bronco Mendenhall spent 28 minutes Friday morning speaking to the university’s Board of Visitors. He outlined his vision, assessed the program and answered questions, in the process producing occasionally jarring words that created a social media stir Sunday evening.

I listened to the audio on Monday and then talked with Mendenhall and athletic director Carla Williams, who was in the room for Mendenhall’s board presentation.

Before the details, my overarching thoughts:

• As always, Mendenhall eloquently wedded his educational values to U.Va.’s.
  • He was too hard on his players.
  • In voicing his determination to steer athletes’ ambitions beyond the NFL, he overstated some statistics about former NFL players.
  • Williams was not alarmed by Mendenhall’s presentation and hopes his primary themes of education and ambition aren’t lost.
“The intent of my remarks was simply to be very clear as to where we currently are, what direction we’re going and why,” Mendenhall said Monday. “If it’s been perceived as anything else than that, I can’t control that necessarily. I do love my team. My guys are phenomenal. We’re making strides. We’re growing every single day, and I’m optimistic about the future.”

Virginia finished 2-10 and 6-7 in Mendenhall’s first two years, earning in 2017 its first bowl bid since 2011 but extending its streak of losing seasons to seven. His Friday appearance came a day after a Board of Visitors committee reviewed the school’s master facility plan for athletics, which includes a new football support complex.

ACC Panic Room: Coaches say the darnedest things :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsports.com; video; Brownlow and Ovies)

Lauren Brownlow and Joe Ovies discuss some interesting comments coming from Virginia's head football coach.

Other

905570fe-bab4-4c97-b7b5-cc374cc90291-large16x9_Farmersmarkets.jpg

Syracuse's Downtown Farmers Market opens on picture perfect Tuesday (PS; Weaver)

The Downtown Farmers Market opened today in Clinton Square, just as the strawberries are coming into season.

Nearly 50 vendors are signed up with the Downtown Committee of Syracuse, which runs the market. In addition to strawberries, vendors brought New York-grown peas, cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, honey, maple syrup and more.

"I wish I could take credit for the weather," said Chuck McFadden, who's run the Downtown Farmers Market for 42 years. At noon, the temperature was in the high 70s with a cool wind and sunny skies.

Nicotra Farms and Oliver B. Paine Greenhouse both sell annuals and perennials, including hanging baskets. Hidden Hearts Honey, from Smithfield, sells honey, beeswax candles and reusable wax paper for food storage.

Maple Hollow Farm, based in Hannibal, is new this year. Tim Fowler has maple candies, syrup and spreads for sale. (He also offers samples.)