Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
valentines-day-specials-murfreesboro-1024x576.jpg
Welcome to Valentine's Day!

The history of Valentine’s Day–and the story of its patron saint–is shrouded in mystery. We do know that February has long been celebrated as a month of romance, and that St. Valentine’s Day, as we know it today, contains vestiges of both Christian and ancient Roman tradition. But who was Saint Valentine, and how did he become associated with this ancient rite?

The Catholic Church recognizes at least three different saints named Valentine or Valentinus, all of whom were martyred. One legend contends that Valentine was a priest who served during the third century in Rome. When Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families, he outlawed marriage for young men. Valentine, realizing the injustice of the decree, defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers in secret. When Valentine’s actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death.

SU News

ACC Football Rx: Links, news and rumors - 2/13/19 (RX; HM)

Matt Sarzniak has his Week One TV guesses posted; here are the ACC games...

Thursday
7:30pm ACCN: Georgia Tech at Clemson (network confirmed)

Friday
7pm ACCN: Utah St. at Wake Forest

Saturday
12pm ESPNU: Virginia at Pittsburgh
12:30pm ACCN: Boise St. vs. Florida St.
3:30pm ABC: Duke vs. Alabama
3:30pm CBS: North Carolina vs. South Carolina
4pm ACCN: East Carolina at NC State
7pm ESPN: Miami (FL) vs. Florida
7:30pm ACCN: Virginia Tech at Boston College

Monday
8pm ESPN: Notre Dame at Louisville

Keep in mind: these are Matt's guesses - the final TV schedule may be different.

Here's my prediction: you're going to be watching the ACC Network in Week One!

Syracuse Single Game and Group Pricing, 2019 football season
Clemson: $40 to $130
Pitt, BC, WF: $25 to $75
Holy Cross, W. Michigan: $15 to $75

Most valuable home game for the Orange? The other team clad in orange...

(PDF) - Syracuse University Athletics

ACC Football Rx: 7th Anniversary of ACCFootballRx! (RX; HM)

ACCFootballRx was established on 14th February 2012 when the first article, Prescription for ACC Football, was posted.

At that time ACC per team revenue was projected to be $14.1 million (it ended up being $16.9 million instead).

OOC record, 2007-11
versus W-L win%
Big Ten 8-14 36.4%
Big XII 10-12 45.5%
Pac-12 2-15 11.8%
SEC 20-27 42.6%
P5s 40-68 37.0%

Fast forward 7 years. Last year the average ACC revenue was $26.6 million per team - up $12.5 million (nearly double!) from when this blog was launched.

Non-conference P5 wins are also up substantially. Here's the aggregate record over the last 5 years.

OOC record, 2014-18
versus W-L win%
Big Ten 13-15 46.4%
Big XII 7-4 63.6%
Pac-12 2-8 20.0%
SEC 24-20 54.5%
P5s 46-47 49.5%

Win% is up against each of the other P5 conferences.

Just as significant: on Feb. 14, 2012 it had been 11 years since a team presently in the ACC had won a national championship in football, and 13 years since a team had done it while a member. Meanwhile, the SEC had rattled off 7 championships in a row - doom and gloom!

Compare that to where we are now, in 2019: ACC teams have won 3 of the last 6 and 2 of the last 3 national titles (while the SEC - represented by a single team - has won only 2 of 6). Definitely, a much different picture.

What about the money situation? True, it's still not as good as the competition - although I've shown time and time again that those other conferences continue to over-inflate their own numbers, trying to make the financial gap appear to be bigger than it really is. Nonetheless, there IS a pretty big gap as of this writing...

ACC Football Rx: OT: SECN, PTN issues - 2/13/19 (RX; HM)

From SaturdayDownSouth: SEC Network losing key sponsor halfway into four-year deal

One of the key sponsors of the SEC Network is pulling out halfway into a four-year deal after ESPN ran a story detailing the inner workings of the Cleveland Browns and the ineptitude of the franchise under owner Jimmy Haslam...

...who also happens to be the CEO of Pilot Flying J. Pilot, a key sponsor of the SEC Network.

Following the publishing of the lengthy article on the Browns, Pilot has made the decision to pull out of the sponsorship deal with ESPN.

According to the Sports Business Daily, the deal is worth “low-to-mid seven figures annually” to ESPN/SEC Network. Pilot also pays Paul Finebaum and Laura Rutledge to endorse its products and sponsors the SEC Network’s pregame show, “SEC Nation.”

Happy Valentine's Day: 5 Reasons Why You're Going To Love The 2019 College Football Season (CFN; Fiutak)

The Valentine’s Day edition of the Daily Five: Why You’re Going To Love The 2019 College Football Season

1. The Quarterbacks Are AWESOME

Oh really. You thought the quarterbacks were a thing a few years ago when Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Mason Rudolph, Lamar Jackson and Josh Rosen were getting all the attention? Thanks to the transfer portal and the grad transfer world, now we really get to see something special.

Let’s just say it. If this doesn’t become the greatest college football season ever for quarterbacks across the national landscape, be very, vey, very disappointed.

You really want to challenge this?

Three words: Tank For Tua.

That’s going to be one of the mottos in the 100th year of NFL football, as bad teams race for the bottom for the chance to draft Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa.

And why is this the Tank For Tua year? It’s because Tank For Trevor isn’t possible – Clemson’s national championship-winning quarterback Trevor Lawrence isn’t eligible yet for the NFL.

And if that’s not the theme before the 2021 NFL Draft, it might be Flop For Fields, if new Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields is the real deal.

Other

EBCKW7J6B5C75JZAY574LPFV6I.jpg

Mayor Walsh’s $200M ‘fuel’ for Syracuse Surge intended for other things (PS; Baker)

While introducing the Syracuse Surge in his State of the City address last month, Mayor Ben Walsh led with an ear-catching figure: $200 million that would fuel the economy of the future.

“The Surge will be fueled by more than $200 million in public and private funding committed already," he said.

He went on to describe the Surge as one of the biggest economic plans in city history – one that will leave Syracuse in a position to capitalize on a new digital economy and make the city a world leader in the Fourth Industrial Revolution.

Syracuse.com asked City Hall for an explanation of that $200 million figure: What’s fueling the Syracuse Surge?

The $200 million investment cited isn’t a stream of new money for the projects described in Walsh’s outline of the Surge, like a renovated Central High School building or an expansion of the Educational Opportunity Center.

Rather, the sum includes a series of planned real estate development and hotel projects announced in recent years, like adding new rooms and a steakhouse to the Marriott Syracuse Downtown, a mixed-use building near Café Kubal, the opening of a new veterans center at Syracuse University, a new public market on a problem corner and continued upgrades to the former Sibley’s building.

valentines-day-specials-murfreesboro-1024x576.jpg
Welcome to Valentine's Day!

The history of Valentine’s Day–and the story of its patron saint–is shrouded in mystery. We do know that February has long been celebrated as a month of romance, and that St. Valentine’s Day, as we know it today, contains vestiges of both Christian and ancient Roman tradition. But who was Saint Valentine, and how did he become associated with this ancient rite?

The Catholic Church recognizes at least three different saints named Valentine or Valentinus, all of whom were martyred. One legend contends that Valentine was a priest who served during the third century in Rome. When Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families, he outlawed marriage for young men. Valentine, realizing the injustice of the decree, defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers in secret. When Valentine’s actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death.

SU News

ACC Football Rx: Links, news and rumors - 2/13/19 (RX; HM)

Matt Sarzniak has his Week One TV guesses posted; here are the ACC games...

Thursday
7:30pm ACCN: Georgia Tech at Clemson (network confirmed)

Friday
7pm ACCN: Utah St. at Wake Forest

Saturday
12pm ESPNU: Virginia at Pittsburgh
12:30pm ACCN: Boise St. vs. Florida St.
3:30pm ABC: Duke vs. Alabama
3:30pm CBS: North Carolina vs. South Carolina
4pm ACCN: East Carolina at NC State
7pm ESPN: Miami (FL) vs. Florida
7:30pm ACCN: Virginia Tech at Boston College

Monday
8pm ESPN: Notre Dame at Louisville

Keep in mind: these are Matt's guesses - the final TV schedule may be different.

Here's my prediction: you're going to be watching the ACC Network in Week One!

Syracuse Single Game and Group Pricing, 2019 football season
Clemson: $40 to $130
Pitt, BC, WF: $25 to $75
Holy Cross, W. Michigan: $15 to $75

Most valuable home game for the Orange? The other team clad in orange...

(PDF) - Syracuse University Athletics

ACC Football Rx: 7th Anniversary of ACCFootballRx! (RX; HM)

ACCFootballRx was established on 14th February 2012 when the first article, Prescription for ACC Football, was posted.

At that time ACC per team revenue was projected to be $14.1 million (it ended up being $16.9 million instead).

OOC record, 2007-11
versus W-L win%
Big Ten 8-14 36.4%
Big XII 10-12 45.5%
Pac-12 2-15 11.8%
SEC 20-27 42.6%
P5s 40-68 37.0%

Fast forward 7 years. Last year the average ACC revenue was $26.6 million per team - up $12.5 million (nearly double!) from when this blog was launched.

Non-conference P5 wins are also up substantially. Here's the aggregate record over the last 5 years.

OOC record, 2014-18
versus W-L win%
Big Ten 13-15 46.4%
Big XII 7-4 63.6%
Pac-12 2-8 20.0%
SEC 24-20 54.5%
P5s 46-47 49.5%

Win% is up against each of the other P5 conferences.

Just as significant: on Feb. 14, 2012 it had been 11 years since a team presently in the ACC had won a national championship in football, and 13 years since a team had done it while a member. Meanwhile, the SEC had rattled off 7 championships in a row - doom and gloom!

Compare that to where we are now, in 2019: ACC teams have won 3 of the last 6 and 2 of the last 3 national titles (while the SEC - represented by a single team - has won only 2 of 6). Definitely, a much different picture.

What about the money situation? True, it's still not as good as the competition - although I've shown time and time again that those other conferences continue to over-inflate their own numbers, trying to make the financial gap appear to be bigger than it really is. Nonetheless, there IS a pretty big gap as of this writing...

ACC Football Rx: OT: SECN, PTN issues - 2/13/19 (RX; HM)

From SaturdayDownSouth: SEC Network losing key sponsor halfway into four-year deal

One of the key sponsors of the SEC Network is pulling out halfway into a four-year deal after ESPN ran a story detailing the inner workings of the Cleveland Browns and the ineptitude of the franchise under owner Jimmy Haslam...

...who also happens to be the CEO of Pilot Flying J. Pilot, a key sponsor of the SEC Network.

Following the publishing of the lengthy article on the Browns, Pilot has made the decision to pull out of the sponsorship deal with ESPN.

According to the Sports Business Daily, the deal is worth “low-to-mid seven figures annually” to ESPN/SEC Network. Pilot also pays Paul Finebaum and Laura Rutledge to endorse its products and sponsors the SEC Network’s pregame show, “SEC Nation.”

Happy Valentine's Day: 5 Reasons Why You're Going To Love The 2019 College Football Season (CFN; Fiutak)

The Valentine’s Day edition of the Daily Five: Why You’re Going To Love The 2019 College Football Season

1. The Quarterbacks Are AWESOME

Oh really. You thought the quarterbacks were a thing a few years ago when Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Mason Rudolph, Lamar Jackson and Josh Rosen were getting all the attention? Thanks to the transfer portal and the grad transfer world, now we really get to see something special.

Let’s just say it. If this doesn’t become the greatest college football season ever for quarterbacks across the national landscape, be very, vey, very disappointed.

You really want to challenge this?

Three words: Tank For Tua.

That’s going to be one of the mottos in the 100th year of NFL football, as bad teams race for the bottom for the chance to draft Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa.

And why is this the Tank For Tua year? It’s because Tank For Trevor isn’t possible – Clemson’s national championship-winning quarterback Trevor Lawrence isn’t eligible yet for the NFL.

And if that’s not the theme before the 2021 NFL Draft, it might be Flop For Fields, if new Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields is the real deal.

Other

EBCKW7J6B5C75JZAY574LPFV6I.jpg

Mayor Walsh’s $200M ‘fuel’ for Syracuse Surge intended for other things (PS; Baker)

While introducing the Syracuse Surge in his State of the City address last month, Mayor Ben Walsh led with an ear-catching figure: $200 million that would fuel the economy of the future.

“The Surge will be fueled by more than $200 million in public and private funding committed already," he said.

He went on to describe the Surge as one of the biggest economic plans in city history – one that will leave Syracuse in a position to capitalize on a new digital economy and make the city a world leader in the Fourth Industrial Revolution.

Syracuse.com asked City Hall for an explanation of that $200 million figure: What’s fueling the Syracuse Surge?

The $200 million investment cited isn’t a stream of new money for the projects described in Walsh’s outline of the Surge, like a renovated Central High School building or an expansion of the Educational Opportunity Center.

Rather, the sum includes a series of planned real estate development and hotel projects announced in recent years, like adding new rooms and a steakhouse to the Marriott Syracuse Downtown, a mixed-use building near Café Kubal, the opening of a new veterans center at Syracuse University, a new public market on a problem corner and continued upgrades to the former Sibley’s building.
Regarding the first week of the college football season, I hope the ACC Network is going to show Syracuse play Liberty.

Give me Liberty or give death!

Also this is a pretty terrific story...

Vernon Hills grad Andre Szmyt completes 'wild ride' from walk-on kicker to unanimous All-American chicagotribunes.com; Narang)

Andre Szmyt’s improbable rise to notoriety started on a whim.

Less than three years ago, Szmyt was a standout soccer player at Vernon Hills. He had never played football, but on a Sunday during the summer of 2016, some of his friends convinced him to attempt some field goals.

“All my buddies in high school played football and were all at the field one day,” Szmyt said. “I had a strong leg because of soccer. I wound up hitting 50-yard field goals. One of my buddies took a video and sent it to the (football) coach.”

Szmyt went on to join the football team and performed well enough that he was granted a walk-on spot for Syracuse in 2017. This fall, he was an unknown redshirt freshman kicker competing for the starting job.

In December, Szmyt won the Lou Groza Award as the nation’s best kicker and became the ninth unanimous All-American in Syracuse football history.

During his fairy-tale season, Szmyt made 30 of 34 field-goal attempts and earned a full scholarship along the way. He tallied 151 points and even bumped elbows with Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray and Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa at the College Football Awards show in Atlanta.

“It’s been a crazy journey and wild ride,” Szmyt said. “It’s been pretty incredible. It’s insane just how the season started to how it ended, and wrapping my mind around this season and then winning the Lou Groza. It’s incredible, and I’m super grateful.”

And it all started with a cell-phone video three years ago.

Vernon Hills football coach Bill Bellecomo said he received that video, which featured Szmyt hitting a 55-yarder. Like most high school coaches, Bellecomo was in dire need of stability in the kicking game.

“I was like, ‘Get him out (to the team),’ ” Bellecomo recalled.

Szmyt quit soccer to play football his senior year. Despite Szmyt’s impressive performance in practices, Bellecomo kept his optimism guarded until the opener against Grayslake Central. Bellecomo said Szmyt booted two field goals in a 39-16 win.

“It’s different when you have a rush coming at you,” Bellecomo said of kicking in a game instead of practice. “The snap has to be perfect, and the hold.”

Bellecomo said he realized Szmyt’s laid-back personality — combined with his unfamiliarity with pressure-packed football situations — made him an ideal kicker. Szmyt made nine of 11 field goals and helped the Cougars place second in Class 5A in their first trip to the state finals.

“I wanted to see how he would handle pressure,” Bellecomo said. “Andre not being a football guy his whole life, he doesn’t get pressure. He’s real loosey-goosey.”

250x141

Andre Szmyt played only one season of high school football. He helped Vernon Hills reach the Class 5A state final. (Brian O'Mahoney / Pioneer Press)

Szmyt admitted the whirlwind journey of the last six months has been overwhelming at times. He learned that he would be Syracuse’s starting kicker one week before the opener at Western Michigan. He made at least two field goals in each of the first 10 games this season and helped the Orange (10-3) notch their first 10-win season since 2001.

Szmyt said his family also dealt with his unexpected rise to stardom. The Szmyts made numerous last-minute trips, often driving 10 hours one way to Syracuse and shifting their plans to attend his postseason award shows.

“The whole season was crazy in general,” he said. “A crazy journey from playing only one season in high school, redshirting, then winning the job and going to all these awards shows and meeting great athletes like Tua and Kyler and being around famous people like Larry Fitzgerald.”

Szmyt said he understands that the next step might be more difficult. The 20-year-old is preparing to deal with the spotlight that likely will follow him after such an outstanding season.

“I still have a lot of things to work on,” he said. “I know I have to work twice as hard. I have all the confidence in the world now. I just have to continue doing well. I’m just thankful for all my friends, family and teammates for all the support.”

Especially those high school football friends who encouraged him to try out one Sunday in Vernon Hills.

Regarding the first week of the college football season, I hope the ACC Network is going to show Syracuse play Liberty.

Give me Liberty or give death!

I don't think that's even an option - isn't it a Liberty home game? The ACC wouldn't have TV rights...