Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
national-earmuff-day-funny-unofficial-450w-376370605.jpg
Welcome to Earmuff Day!

The beginning of spring is often the last blows of the reign of winter terror, one moment you can be basking in the shining warmth of the returning sun, and the next it’s literally freezing out and biting rain and snow is pounding your poor ears to iceberg lettuce. Thankfully one masterful Chester Greenwood came up with a solution for this untrustworthy and frankly conniving weather that allows you to abandon the hats of winter for a far more comfortable and practical bit of headwear. Chester Greenwood is the man who invented that most remarkable of purpose specific headgear, the earmuff!

Now, Mr. Greenwood was simply looking for a way to keep our ears warm in the cold winter months, he couldn’t have possibly imagined all the purposes this seemingly simple and innocent piece of headgear would be turned to. Now what was the “earmuff” is called the “thermal earmuff”, and has been joined by the “acoustic earmuff”. In case that doesn’t tell you straight-away what they are, these are the heavy-duty sound dampeners worn by construction site workers the world over. These are much more effective than the simpler earplug, and really serve to save your ears!

SU News

The Best Syracuse Orange Quarterbacks of All Time (ranker.com; Staff)

College football fans, we’re ranking the best Syracuse Orange quarterbacks of all time. It includes every starting quarterback throughout Syracuse Orange history, including current quarterbacks and past ones. This Syracuse football roster has famous All-Americans, Syracuse quarterbacks in the NFL, and Orange players in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Featuring some of the greatest college quarterbacks of all time, the best Syracuse QBs include Ryan Nassib, Marvin Graves, Donovan McNabb, and Don McPherson.

In the 2017 FBS season, the current Syracuse Orange QBs are Eric Dungey, Zack Mahoney, Rex Culpepper, Tommy Devito, Mo Hasan, and Clayton Welch.

Who are the greatest quarterbacks in Syracuse Orange history? They're all on this comprehensive list of Syracuse University football players who have played as quarterback.

ACC Coastal’s top-5 newcomers to watch this spring (stateoftheu.com; Dottavio)

The ACC Coastal has undergone a lot of change heading into spring football of the 2019 season. I wrote about that change last week, but we will take an in-depth look into the five biggest newcomers on the field for the spring slate.

The freshman listed are all early enrollees and besides Tate Martell (his NCAA appeal is still in the air), the transfers can play right away at their new locations. The Coastal played an all around bad brand of football in 2018 and needs a big-time bounce back season in 2019.

With all of the change in the division the new players could turn around what was expected to be a competitive brand of football between Miami, Virginia Tech, North Carolina and the former ACC Champion Yellow Jackets.

Here are the top-5 newcomers to the ACC Coastal that we can watch this spring.

ACC Football Rx: 2019 Syracuse - Way Too Early Preview (RX; HM)

The 2019 season marks the 60th anniversary of Syracuse football's one and (so far) only national championship... but wouldn't it be a rush to make it two?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not picking Syracuse to win the ACC Atlantic, much less the whole CFP. Still, I am picking the Orange to go 10-2 in the regular season, with the two losses both coming in conference...

Opponent Proj

@ Liberty W
@ Maryland W
Clemson L
W Michigan W
Holy Cross W
@ NC State L
Pitt W
@ Florida St W
Boston Col. W
@ Duke W
@ Louisville W
Wake Forest W

So here's the deal: Clemson is the defending national champ for a reason - they're that good. However, Syracuse battled them tough last year - on the road - and the last time the Tigers played in the Carrier Dome, they went home with a loss.

What about NC State? The Orange beat the Wolfpack last season in the Dome, but this year they meet in Raleigh, where the Pack have held their serve in this series.

Aren't we forgetting someone? Yes. The last time Syracuse played Maryland - at home, no less - the Terps won a game filled with self-inflicted wounds for the Orange. While that could certainly happen again, I feel like Coach Babers has his team over that problem which used to plague Syracuse football.

By the way, Florida State shouldn't be taken lightly either simply because they had a bad season.

Side Point: If I had predicted 'Cuse football to go 10-2 a couple of years ago I would've been ridiculed by Orange fans for predicting too many wins. Now I've been getting grief for picking the Wolfpack to beat Syracuse in Raleigh. I tell you, this is a tough job!

BOTTOM LINE: Possible Citrus Bowl at 10-2, but if the Orange should somehow manage to run the table... nah, I can't bring myself to even write it down.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlot...coming-soon-on-belk-bowls-future-and-acc.html (bizjournals.com)

This is a pay article but it says that the 6 year ACC contract with the Belk is about to end and both sides are in negotiations to extend it. The plan is to continue to have a ACC team appear in the bowl for the next 6 years but to have the opponent slot shared between the SEC and the B1G, like a spot in the Gator is currently shared between the ACC and the B1G.

The goal is to add more flexibility to ensure fresh matchups and new teams happen regularly.

ACC Football Rx: ACC Network Commercials - 3/13/19 (RX; HM)

ACCN Launch Anthem from ACCNETWORK on Vimeo.

To see the other 18, click this link.

you may also want to check out this article on ESPN Media Zone, featuring a clip for each of the 15 teams that make up the ACC.
ACCNetworkLogo.jpg

ACC Football Rx: DirecTV signs up for ACC Network (RX; HM)

From Sports Business Daily: ESPN Adds DirecTV As Carrier For ACC Network At Launch

DirecTV is the latest distributor that has decided to carry ACC Network at its Aug. 22 launch... ACC Net previously signed launch deals with Altice, Verizon and Hulu TV. ESPN will depend on Hulu's and DirecTV’s national footprints as they negotiate with other distributors, including Comcast, Charter, Dish Network and AT&T U-Verse.

ESPN is also stepping up it's promotion of the new channel:

ESPN is launching an ad campaign around the net today to coincide with the start of the ACC men’s basketball tournament. The campaign is called “We Do This,” and shows an inside look at each of the conference’s schools and their traditions. The spots will run across ESPN platforms and on local channels in ACC markets. ACC schools will be able to customize the spots...

No official word yet on how much money the new channel will generate. One thing's for sure: whatever the per subscriber rate ends up being, it will be multiplied by a very big number!

ACC Football Rx: More ACCN News for 3/12/19 (RX; HM)

Well, the GetACCN web page has been updated, along with a FAQ page which, while currently full of typos, at least gives us some great information...

Names. What will the network(s) be called?

The Network will be called "ACCN"; the formal name is "ACC Network".

ACC Network Extra (ACCNE) is the Network's digital platform available on the ESPN App. [you'll see me refer to this as ACCX for short - Hokie Mark]

There's also the ACC Digital Network [aka "ACCDN"] which we just learned will continue to operate.

Location. Where will "headquarters" be located?

The production home will be in Bristol, CT...

ACCN's business teams will be anchored in Charlotte.

This is a bit of a clarification over previous statements. As to why the production home is in Bristol, it "will provide for efficient use of ESPN's existing production facilities there and it will have support from all of ESPN's resources around the country... ESPN already has a state-of-the-art facility in Bristol that, coupled with the individual school studios, can deliver the highest quality content from across the conference."

Other

a7d_riley1.jpeg

Photo: Terry Riley, owner of Riley's Restaurant on Park Street in Syracuse, in 1999, at the mid-point of his tenure.

Soup to nuts: The 40-year life of Riley's in Syracuse (PS; Cazentre)

If you ask Terry Riley, running a long-time neighborhood bar-restaurant is "boring." If you ask him, he'll tell you he "never wanted to own a restaurant."

His location on the city's North Side, he says, is "lonely." The best days were three decades ago, in the 1980s, "when things were roaring." His staff "laughs at my suggestions and do what they want.''

The conclusion? Don't believe everything Terry Riley says.

Riley this week celebrates 40 years of running the tavern called Riley's, at 312 Park St.

By all accounts, for the past four decades, he's been having a ball.
You'll often find Riley, at right in the photo above, at the end of the bar, chatting with the regulars, or anybody else who bellies up. On Saturdays, you might see (and hear) him at the small upright piano between the bar and dining room.

Little has changed at Riley's bar in 40 years, certainly not the decor, with its tin celiing, vintage fixtures and dark woodwork. It's always been a comfortable place to have a drink and fall into deep --or spirited -- conversations.

It's also been a bar since long before Riley arrived on the scene. Records indicate the tavern had operated under 14 different owners, starting in 1898. Riley became No. 15.

"I like bars -- old time saloons," he says. "That's why I bought one."

Last edited:
So what's it going to be - praise for predicting Orange football to win 10 games, or ridicule for picking them to lose to NC State? The suspense is killing me!

So what's it going to be - praise for predicting Orange football to win 10 games, or ridicule for picking them to lose to NC State? The suspense is killing me!
Ridicule for having them lose to that over rated team

My we have forgotten all those crap teams since 2002. 10 wins would be awesome in the regular season