Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
NATIONAL-SLOPPY-JOE-DAY-%E2%80%93-March-18.png

Welcome to National Sloppy Joe Day!

No matter how you make this hot sandwich, on March 18th, celebrate National Sloppy Joe Day.

The Sloppy Joe is one of America’s all-time favorite hot sandwiches. Its base ingredient is often ground beef. However, others use turkey and buffalo, too. The other elements give it its flavor, though. Onions, tomato sauce, brown sugar, cola or maple syrup to sweeten it and seasonings to spice it – and of course, any secret ingredient families may add over the years. All of it is served up on a hamburger bun or roll. And is it ever sloppy! Be sure to grab more than one napkin!

Who Created The Sloppy Joe

There are different claims to the origin of the sloppy Joe. In Havana, Cuba, in the 1930s, there was a genuine bartender who gained popularity with vacationers who went by the name of Sloppy Joe. He earned his name for his less than enthusiastic way of cleaning the bar. He was, however, an attentive bartender, and the bar was a hot spot for the jet set.

However, no mention is found in papers from the era of a hot sandwich on the menu matching the description of a Sloppy Joe, and the man of the same name retired to Spain in 1933.

SU News

What we learned about SU before coronavirus ended spring ball (PS; Bailey)

Syracuse football’s spring practice is over after three practices.

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, on Tuesday, the Atlantic Coast Conference canceled all athletic-related activities through the end of the 2019-20 academic year.

So, after taking a look at what the COVID-19 outbreak means for the Orange moving forward on Monday, let’s take a moment to clear out the notebook from Syracuse’s week on the practice field.

Tommy DeVito is SU’s most accurate quarterback, and it might not be close

Let’s start on offense where DeVito returns for his second year as the program’s starting quarterback.

This will be a critical offseason for the New Jersey native, who was sacked more times than anyone in the nation as a redshirt sophomore. The checklist includes becoming comfortable in the pocket again, building chemistry with wide receivers including Taj Harris, and getting on the same page as first-year offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Sterlin Gilbert.

While it’ll take more than three unpadded practices to accomplish those tasks, it’s more clear than ever that SU needs DeVito to make those strides. In the 20 minutes media were allowed to watch, he was far-and-away the most accurate quarterback on the field.

Redshirt senior Rex Culpepper and redshirt freshman David Summers sprayed passes during both 10-minute sessions of routes vs. air while redshirt freshman walk-on Drew Gunther appeared to be the second-most-accurate signal-caller.

“Everything starts with that guy when we get in pads" SU head coach Dino Babers said of DeVito. "This is a nice warm-up, but we have to get back in pads. We have to rush the quarterback. We have to block the guys that are rushing the quarterback. We have to deliver passes, and that’s the key to winning football games.”

Defensive players eager to work after confusing offseason

ACC Recruiting Breakdowns: Syracuse Orange(men) (thekeyplay.com; Jessee)

It's the barren offseason for college football, which is the perfect time to start back up with looking at some recruiting classes!

I tried going through every ACC team last year, but my tendency to dive way too deep into these things made it so I couldn't get all the teams done before the season started.

So, instead of bringing you anything but my best I'll just start as early as I can this year!
Last year I went alphabetically, so I'll switch it up and go North to South. So, Syracuse, you are on the clock...!

2020 Class:
ACC Rank: 10
National Rank: 59
# of Signees: 22
Average Recruit Rating: 0.8404
Top Recruit: Latarie Kinsler (0.8675, Edge, Pahokee FL)

Biggest Need: Eric Dungey 2.0
I don't think there's a program in the ACC that has a stronger direct relationship between QB play and winning than Syracuse. What Dino Baber's system is able to do to even the stoutest of defenses when it's working is nothing short of magical, just ask Bud Foster and Brent Venables. Last year, we saw what it looks like when this team fails to have the quick-thinking relationship between QB and WR that made 'Cuse so good when Dungey was at the helm of that offense. Tommy DeVito was only as good as the team around him, and just didn't seem to run that offense as vibrantly as Dungey could.

Syracuse has little depth at the QB position, so DeVito is what they got. Although DeVito's numbers were middle-of-the-pack in the ACC last season, that's not good enough for Syracuse to win at any sort of level.

The Orange(men) signed Dillon Markiewicz (0.8255) out of Texas as well as Jacobian Morgan (0.8152) out of Mississippi. Both fit the taller, pocket passer build that Babers has had success within the past, but neither look to really compete for the starting job while DeVito is there. Syracuse also has a walk-on QB commit in Luke MacPhail (79, 247Sports) out of Massachusetts.

Most Exciting Recruit: Damien Alford (0.8633), WR, Hollywood FL
Alford is a 6'5", 210lbs. WR that was targeted by Florida, Florida State, Miami, Georgia, Oklahoma, and others. He's one of the more high profile recruits that Syracuse has gotten in a while. Truthfully, I'm shocked his grade on the 247Composite isn't above 0.88.

Dino Babers has done wonders with bigger receivers in his time at Syracuse. Having a downfield threat opens up the short and intermediate routes that are the bread and butter of Babers's offense.
He can come in and instantly impact the offense. I don't see a reason why you wouldn't throw him out there to run fade routes in the end-zone. Having a guy like that can be the difference between 7 and 3 points for an offense that struggles in the close quarters of the redzone. Alford can be the matchup nightmare and gamechanger that gives the Orange a couple wins here and there.

Early Contributor: Latarie Kinsler (0.8675), Edge, Pahokee FL
The highest rated player in the 2020 class for the Orange, Kinsler gives you a dynamic pass rusher with plenty of speed. He lacks size at 6'3" and only 205lbs., but he's on campus now which should bode well for his physical development. Still, he projects more to an OLB/"Whip linebacker". Syracuse runs a similar defense to Tech's 4-2-5 with a physical nickel back/whip linebacker, he could fit in really nicely in that sort of scheme.

But truth be told, I'm not sure any of the guys in this class will really make an impact on an All-ACC Freshman Team level. The previously mentioned Damien Alford has the chance to put up some nice numbers if they decide to put him on the field, but other than that this young class may take some time to reach their full potential.

Solvay quarterback to continue chasing D-I dream at prep school (PS; Weidner)

Brock Bagozzi has always wanted to play college football at the highest level he can.

And the Solvay senior isn’t letting a lack of Division I offers douse that dream.

Bagozzi, who passed for 2,476 yards and 33 touchdowns while leading the Bearcats to a 10-1 season and the school’s first sectional football championship in 17 seasons, earned All-Central New York and second-team, all-state Class B honors. He is a finalist for the All-CNY small-schools Player of the Year award to be announced in June.

But Bagozzi, who didn’t turn 17 until November, his father and coaches believe he has the skills and smarts to quarterback a Division I football team. So Bagozzi will head off to a post-graduate prep year at Maine’s Bridgton Academy in August.

“My dream was always to go Division I,” he said. “I’m not settling for anything less.”

ACC Football: 3 teams that could dethrone Clemson in 2020 (saturdayblitz.com; Caudell)

These are the most intriguing ACC football teams to watch for the 2020 season. Can any of these teams challenge the Clemson Tigers for the title?

One of the beautiful things about Clemson dominating ACC football for the last five years is that every offseason, we all get to speculate about who is ready to step up to the plate and challenge them and Syracuse aside, that has not happened hardly at all in the last three years.

That doesn’t mean that there aren’t intriguing teams and storylines outside of Death Valley, however. I actually think you can make the case that there are more than three teams to keep an eye on.

You have a couple of second-year coaches in Mack Brown and Scott Satterfield, at North Carolina and Louisville respectfully, who overachieved last season and are looking to make that second year leap and possibly challenge Clemson for the division title.

Cost of Canceling NCAAT (RX; HM)

Cost of Canceling NCAAT

Suspending sports due to coronavirus was clearly the right thing to do in hindsight - but it will have 'huge economic impact' on the economy nonetheless.

NCAA
Fox: NCAA's March Madness coronavirus cancellation will cost organization big
The NCAA canceled the most lucrative event in college sports: "March Madness" basketball.

The NCAA’s Division I men’s basketball tournament generates $867.5 million annually from television and marketing rights alone, according to the institution’s website. The event composes a significant portion of the NCAA’s yearly revenue. In 2019, the NCAA earned an estimated $933 million when factoring in media rights, ticket sales and sponsorships.
That's nearly $1 Billion that the NCAA won't be getting.

ESPN
In addition to the NCAA shutting down, the NBA, NHL, MLB and MLS have all suspended their activities as well. Between college and professional sports cancellations, ESPN has lost nearly all of its Spring sports inventory for 2020. Will that accelerate the trend of cord-cutting? Will streaming customers decide they don't need the sports tier this Spring?

Conference Networks
The ACCN, BTN, LHN, PTN and SECN all suffer a similar affliction. Not only will this hurt sales of new subscriptions, but it will likely cost some advertising income as well.

Fiercest Rivalries? (RX; HM)

Fiercest Rivalries?

The fiercest rivalries in college athletics via @247Sports

#1. Duke-UNC (NCAAM)
#2. Alabama-Auburn (FB)
#3. Michigan-Ohio State (FB)
#4. Army-Navy (FB)
#5. UK-UL (NCAAM)
#6. OU-Texas (FB)
#7. FSU-Miami (FB)
#8. Ole Miss-Miss St (FB)
#9. ND-USC (FB)
#10. FSU-UF (FB)

— CFB Home (@CFBHome) March 12, 2020
There are several ACC teams in the top 10 rivalries (Duke, UNC, FSU, Miami), but only one school - in any conference - appears in more than one rivalry: Florida State, who enjoys annual rivalries with Miami and Florida.

I was a bit surprised that 247Sports listed the Duke-UNC men's basketball rivalry as #1 overall.

Florida State vs. Miami actually ranked above Florida State vs. Florida as well.

In ACC-related news, Notre Dame vs. USC also made the list.

What other ACC rivalries might make the list if it were enlarged a bit? Here are my picks:

Boston College-Notre Dame, aka "The Holy War"
Clemson-South Carolina, aka "The Palmetto Trophy"
Georgia Tech-Georgia, aka "Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate"
Virginia Tech-Virginia, aka "The Commonwealth Cup"
Louisville-Kentucky, aka "The Governor's Cup"

College football coronavirus updates: SEC and ACC cancel, Big Ten suspends spring sports-related activities (cbssports.com; Staff)

The coronavirus outbreak has brought a halt to just about every sporting league across the country. Collegiate athletics have not been spared as the NCAA announced recently its decision to cancel all winter and spring championships in 2020, including the men's and women's basketball tournaments.

In addition to that, some conferences have now jumped in and prevented any teams from holding practices of any kind for the time being. The ACC and SEC on Tuesday canceled "all athletic related activities including all competition and practice through the end of the 2019-20 academic year," which includes spring practices and games.

The Big Ten, meanwhile, announced Friday that "all organized team activities have been suspended until April 6, 2020."

Other schools have already begun to cancel spring practices and games, as well as classes themselves, and the odds are high that these will not be the final games canceled in the coming days. To keep up with all the latest ways the COVID-19 virus outbreak has had an impact on college football, check out our tracker below.

All team activities suspended

• AAC: Conference-wide (canceled)
  • ACC: Conference-wide (canceled)
  • Big Ten: Conference-wide (until April 6)
  • Big 12: Baylor (until March 23)
  • Independent: Notre Dame
  • MAC: Conference-wide
  • Pac-12: Conference-wide (until March 29)
  • SEC: Conference-wide (canceled)

Other

IN7YJ4NEU5EFJDRKHZV26JW3MI.jpg

Six months after opening tavern, owner is left with 3 mortgages, car payments and no income (PS; Miller)

The Old Ledge sits at the dead end of Church Street. This neighborhood bar is where locals go after work for a cheap shot and beer and maybe a hamburger or pizza. By happy hour this afternoon, you’d normally see 30 to 40 people inside.

Today, though, the only people inside are Nicole Kennedy and Jon Henderson. They spent the morning carrying all the beer from the coolers behind the bar to the walk-in refrigerator downstairs. Then they boxed up the liquor bottles and turned in the unsold lottery scratch-off games.

“That alone is thousands of dollars,” Kennedy said as the state lottery rep removed them from the plastic dispensers and sealed them in a plastic bag. “Now it’s really starting to sink in.”

Kennedy and Henderson each invested $30,000 last July to buy the tavern, formally known as Lew’s Sports Bar. They put $20,000 into it for a new cooler, pizza oven and floors. They opened under the new name in September.

1. That's a nice write up about Syracuse recruiting from TheKeyPlay. Babers' offense really is all about the QB.
2. While I don't think you can put Duke/Syracuse in the "fiercest rivalries" just yet, I definitely feel like it's trending that way (for men's basketball).