Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
wendys-bacon-maple-chicken-sandwich-national-maple-syrup-day-large-4.jpg
Welcome to National Maple Syrup Day!

Maple syrup is used on breakfast foods such as pancakes, waffles, and French toast, and can be added to many dishes as a sweetener. It can even be poured on top of ice cream for dessert. Today we use a little more of it than usual, as it is National Maple Syrup Day.

Maple syrup is made from sap from sugar maple trees—trees that are also known as rock maples or hard maples. Maple syrup is a North American product; Canada produces most of it, and in the United States most of it comes from Vermont and New York. Native Americans in the northeastern part of the continent were the first to make it, by cutting the bark on trees and letting the sap drip out.

By the 1720s, colonists learned the technique, which became known as sugaring. After the thaw in late winter allowed the sap to begin flowing through the maple trees, the colonists would gash the trunks and guide the sap into troughs. They would then boil it over fires. Using maple as a sweetener was done in part to save money, as cane sugar from the West Indies was more expensive. This especially was the case after 1764, when the Sugar Act placed high duties on imported sugar.

SU News

Column: Count boring early NSD as win for Syracuse, Dino Babers (247sports.com; Bailey)

Early National Signing Day has come and gone for Syracuse football, barring a late signee. The Orange landed all 19 of the commits who came into the day expected to ink national letters of intent. It was, for signing day standards, a boring morning for the Orange. There was no surprise flip, not even the excitement of a key target making a public announcement.

But after a one-win season -- the school's first since 2005 and second since 1948 -- business as usual is, well, a victory, for head coach Dino Babers and Co. SU has its work cut out this offseason to retool its roster, bulk up young contributors and advance on-field development after the team's two first-year coordinators barely got a chance to do that during the truncated spring and summer of 2020.

Babers cleared the first hurdle on Wednesday.

The Orange held on to its top-10-rated commits, including New Jersey defensive back Duce Chestnut, who said on Tuesday that Ohio State, LSU and Miami all inquired about whether he'd consider flipping in the week leading up to early National Signing Day. UCF made runs at offensive lineman Austyn Kauhi and defensive lineman Jatius Geer, but both stuck with Syracuse. Only Wisconsin defensive end Hayden Nelson decommitted from SU after UCLA made a hard push down the stretch; Nelson has not signed anywhere as of Wednesday at 12:30 p.m.

Quarterback signee Justin Lamson said a couple of weeks ago that the team's commitment class understood that Syracuse's lack of on-field success this year was rooted, at least partially, in uncontrollable issues like injuries and a schedule change due to the pandemic.

"We talk during the games and we obviously want Syracuse to win," Lamson said. "but everyone's like, 'There's stuff going on that some people don't understand outside the program.'"

Babers: Syracuse's 2021 class keeps program on track for goals (247sports.com; Bailey)

During a year when it felt like nothing went right for Syracuse football, the Orange signed 19 of its verbal commits on Wednesday. Early National Signing Day was a successful, if uneventful point in a year that has challenged fifth-year head coach Dino Babers.

Speaking with media early Wednesday afternoon, Babers commended his staff for holding on to all but one pledge as opposing coaching staffs pursued SU targets following the program's second one-win season since 1948. He admitted that in a non-pandemic year, other programs might have pushed harder to flip Syracuse's commits.

But the bottom line, Babers said, is Syracuse took a necessary step toward achieving its long-term goal.

"I want to get this place to where we can be consistent winners, and to do that, it's going to take some time," Babers said. "And I understand that time is limited, and that's OK. That's why I love my job. That it is limited time and that everybody can't do it, but this team, these guys, I think if we can keep moving at the place that we're moving, that we're going to give everybody what everybody wants and what they deserve, and that's consistent winners."

ellis-austyn.jpg

Austyn Kauhi (Kamehameha) & Kalan Ellis (Saint Louis) sign their National Letters of Intent to play college football at Syracuse University

Pair of Hawai’i prep offensive linemen sign National Letters of Intent to play college football at Syracuse (khon2.com)

Saint Louis School’s Kalan Ellis says he’s only been to the snow once, but loved it. The 6’5, 350 pounder is about to see a lot more of it after signing his National Letter of Intent to player college football in Syracuse University.
"It meant all my hard work and education paid off to get me to this spot" @StLouisHawaii's Kalan Ellis signs #NLI to play college football at @CuseFootball. He's only been to the snow once, but loved it #Cover2

Pair of Hawai’i prep offensive linemen sign National Letters of Intent to play college football at Syracuse pic.twitter.com/fSIG7cCzaz
— Alan Hoshida (@AHoshidaSports) December 16, 2020
“It meant everything to me. It meant all my hard work and education paid off to get me to this spot. Finally putting that pen to that paper really made me happy and excited,” Ellis said after his signing ceremony inside Clarence T.C. Ching Athletics Complex, “I’ll be the first person on my moms side to go to college and actually earn a scholarship. They really helped me work towards my progress and on my craft, giving me tips even after a games and practices.”

It was a momentous day for the Ellis family because Kalan becomes the first person on his mother’s side to earn a division one scholarship.

National Signing Day Recap (SI; McAllister)

National Signing Day was a rousing success for the Syracuse Orange on Wednesday. All 19 players expected to sign going into the day did so, resulting in almost no drama. In this case, a boring day was a good day for Syracuse. Here is a look back at all of our coverage of the day as Syracuse brought in what Dino Babers thinks is going to be one of its best classes in recent memory.

THE GRAPHICS

Syracuse Uses Album Graphics to Announce Signees

DINO'S COMMENTS

Six Things Babers Said About the 2021 Class at Signing Day Presser

CLASS ANALYSIS

What's Left for Syracuse in 2021?

Five Signees Who Could Contribute as True Freshmen

Three Sleepers in Syracuse's 2021 Class

Where do Syracuse's Signees Come From? Geographical Analysis

Positional Review of Syracuse's 2021 Class

Live Blog: Timeline of When Players Signed

PLAYER HIGHLIGHTS & EVALUATIONS

DB Duce Chestnut

OL Enrique Cruz

OL Kalan Ellis

DB Malcolm Folk

DL Elijah Fuentes

WR Oronde Gadsden

Syracuse Uses Album Graphics to Announce Signees (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football signed 19 players on National Signing Day during the early period that runs from December 16th through the 19th. When schools announce their signees, they are usually accompanied by graphics of some sort. Syracuse has had very creative, well done graphics the last few years and they took it up a notch for the 2021 class. They created albums for each of the signees. Check them out below side by side with the original.

DB DUCE CHESTNUT: A Boogie wit da Hoodie - The New Prince of New York

duce-chestnut.webp

Babers on new recruits: I’m fighting, scratching, clawing to coach them (PS; $; Mink)

Dino Babers isn’t sticking his head in the sand.

On the day all coaches wax poetic introducing a batch of new recruits, Babers gave a candid appraisal of his standing heading into a new offseason on the heels of an abysmal record.

It was not surprising to hear him think he’s got a young nucleus capable of winning in the ACC. Every coach, especially on this day, inspires hope for the future.

It was acknowledging the urgency to arrive at all that promise, perhaps sooner than expected, that revealed the inner workings of what this offseason and this early signing day represents to this coach.

“I’m fighting. I am scratching. I am clawing every day to make sure that I am around to coach these guys when they get to be juniors and seniors,” Babers told Matt Park, Syracuse University’s in-house radio voice on Wednesday.

SU recruit wants to be the ‘New King of New York’ (PS; Curtis)

Darian “Duce” Chestnut woke up at 6:30 on Wednesday morning and threw on a navy blue Syracuse T-shirt along with a baseball cap featuring Otto the Orange on the front.

He was preparing for one of the most important days of his high school career as he sat down at his kitchen table to sign his national letter of intent to play football at Syracuse University.

Chestnut, a 5-foot-11, 180-pound cornerback from Camden, New Jersey, was one of 19 prospects in the Class of 2021 expected to take advantage of Early National Signing Day and officially sign with the Orange.

After signing his letter, he snapped a photo of it and emailed it to Syracuse around 7 a.m. About 30 minutes later, Chestnut checked Twitter and saw the school had announced he would be joining the program.

“Coming for the crown, welcome to ‘Cuse @Ballgame_duce,” is the greeting he received, along with a design inspired by his favorite music artist, A Boogie wit da Hoodie.

Experts on SU football’s 2021 recruiting: ‘It’s certainly not a bad class’ (PS; $; Axe)

Three college football recruiting analysts expect Syracuse will have one of its best recruiting classes in Dino Babers’ five years when the school concludes its Early National Signing Day celebration on Wednesday.

It’s a group that seems geared to address last year’s weaknesses on the offensive and defensive lines and at wide receiver.

That’s the good news.

The class, at least on paper, also doesn’t look substantially different than the ones that have helped Babers compile an overall record of 24-36 at Syracuse over five seasons. It’s unlikely there are too many players who will be impact players as true freshmen for a program that desperately needs them after going 1-10 last year.

That’s the bad news.

Like most seasons, Syracuse football’s Early National Signing Day will force you to pick a side, and this year you’ll have less information than usual.

Is it a good class or a bad class?

Well.

H7VXJSLB4BCXJHSWQ6XHEKLJLM.jpg

Ex-Syracuse QB Don McPherson honored for contributions to the sport and society (PS; Kramer)

Former Syracuse University quarterback Don McPherson, a long-time champion for college football and helping with the larger issues of society, has earned an award paying tribute to his work.

The National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame (NFF) announced today that McPherson, a College Football Hall of Fame member, will be the 2020 recipient of the NFF Outstanding Contribution to Amateur Football Award.

The award provides national recognition to those whose efforts support the NFF or who have made significant contributions to the game of football either to how it is played and coached or to how it is enjoyed by fans. McPherson becomes the 43rd recipient of the award.

“For me, the operative word with this award is amateur,” McPherson said in a statement. “The reality is that the overwhelming preponderance of guys who play football, don’t go pro, and that makes the amateur part of this award really important. . . When you truly care about the game, you realize the stewards of the game are the guys who are involved with the NFF, and when you look at the list of past recipients of this award, it is truly a list of people who care deeply about the game. So, this is very humbling.”

McPherson has served on the Hall of Fame Content Committee when it was formed after the facility moved from South Bend, Ind. to Atlanta. McPherson cites moderating a Black History Month roundtable in 2017 with fellow inductees Thom Gatewood (Notre Dame), Gene Washington (Michigan State) and John Wooten (Colorado) as one of his most memorable NFF moments.

Syracuse Football Top 25 Players of All-Time: No. 10 John Mackey (itlh; Peelman)

Syracuse Football has had a long history of success. We look back at some of the best players to play at Syracuse University. Up next, No. 10: John Mackey.

Syracuse Football has had some amazing athletes come through its program since 1889. In this series so far we have already talked about the likes of Vic Hanson, Walter Reyes, Jim Nance, Chandler Jones, Gary Anderson, Qadry Ismail, and so many others. Now that we have finally reached the Top 10 of our list, this is where we meet the cream of the top: the best of the best, and next up is John Mackey.

Of the 10 athletes remaining, seven have had their jersey or number retired by Syracuse Football. In total, there are nine athletes on our entire list who have had their jersey/number retired by SU, some having the same number: No. 44. Only Don McPherson – ranked 11th, and Joe Morris – ranked 12th, are the only others on this list not in the Top 10 who have their jersey/number retired. Mackey, the first one in our Top 10, is one of those privileged few who have had that honor of having his No. 88 jersey retired, according to Cuse.com.

Mackey may not have been the best tight end to ever play for Syracuse Football, but he redefined the tight end position in an era when rushing the ball was a huge part of the offensive strategy. Though Chris Gedney, who we had highlighted previously was great, Mackey was the one that paved the way for Gedney’s success.

ACC Blue Chips - 12/17/20 (RX; HM)

ACC Blue Chips - 12/17/20

How many "blue-chip" (4- or 5-star rated) players did each ACC team sign on the first day of the Early Signing Period for football? Here's your answer...

ACC Team#blue
chips
graphicalpoints
Clemson16================282.31
Miami13=============263.33
N. Carolina12============253.51
Notre Dame11===========265.71
Florida State5=====201.48
Pittsburgh3===208.02
NC State3===200.45
Virginia2==204.73
Louisville2==198.08
Boston College1=191.6
Georgia Tech1=187.81
Virginia Tech0|189.6
Syracuse0|175.15
Duke0|175.07
Wake Forest0|162.37

Early Signing Day (lunch time) - 12/16/20 (RX; HM)

Early Signing Day (lunch time) - 12/16/20

Here are your early Early Signing Day team rankings update:

2021 Football Team Rankings