Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
bigstock-Isolated-back-bacon-68220529_580x@2x.jpg
Welcome to Canadian Bacon Day!

Fun Facts about Canadian Bacon
Brush up on your knowledge of Canadian bacon with these fun facts.
  • Another term for Canadian Bacon is peameal bacon. This term comes from the fact that the cured pork is finished by rolling it in meal which used to be called peameal (today it’s known as cornmeal.)
  • Canadian bacon is fully cooked and smoked and is very lean.
  • When you compare regular bacon, turkey bacon and Canadian bacon, Canadian is the lowest in fat and the healthiest.
  • A serving of Canadian bacon has only 60 calories and 0.5gr of Saturated fat.
SU News

1d21eb20-7d07-4eb7-8b79-2def9a820c61-Jason_Simmons_Jr._-_Alabama_-_MW19_-_3.jpg

Simmons was Drawn to Syracuse by Success in the Secondary (SI; McAllister)

One of the top defensive backs in the transfer portal was Jason Simmons out of New Mexico State. Simmons committed to Syracuse recently as his transfer destination, picking the Orange over several other power five opportunities. It was those opportunities, combined with New Mexico State cancelling the 2020 season, that led Simmons to seek continuation of his athletic career elsewhere.

"Just being in a better situation and playing at a higher level," Simmons said. "The cancelling of the 2020 season hurt my decision to stay there. I want to be on the field, I want to play. I just want to play at a higher level."

Enter Syracuse. The opportunity to play in the ACC for a school that has had success with defensive backs in recent years was too much to pass up. Combine that with an established familiarity with the school and coaches from being offered by the Orange out of high school, and it seemed like a perfect fit for both sides.

"They've proven to be able to develop DBs at my position," Simmons said. "I felt like it was just the best fit from a football standpoint in being able to create an impact at the power five level."

With OL coach Mike Schmidt on board, Syracuse continues pursuit of Texas OT transfer Willie Tyler (247sports.com; $; Bailey)

Syracuse football head coach Dino Babers wanted to make sure Mike Cavanaugh's departure as offensive line coach didn't have a ripple effect on transfer offensive line target Willie Tyler. So much so that Babers himself became the primary recruiter for Tyler, a redshirt sophomore at Texas, when Cavanaugh accepted a position at Arizona State in late January.

Babers bridged the gap while proceeding through the hiring process to find Cavanaugh's replacement. And with longtime San Diego State assistant Mike Schmidt officially on board, Tyler said he's enjoying getting to know the man who could be his next position coach.

"They know I want to take my time to get to know Schmidt," Tyler said on Monday night.

Oregon Ducks land JUCO OT Percy Lewis over Auburn and Syracuse (yahoo.com; Mickanen)

Oregon Ducks land JUCO OT Percy Lewis over Auburn and Syracuse originally appeared on NBC Sports Northwest

The flock has gotten stronger.

The Oregon Ducks landed a verbal commitment from unrated JUCO offensive tackle Percy Lewis Tuesday morning. He held offers from Auburn, South Alabama, Southern Mississippi and Syracuse.

Blessed and thankful to say that I am committed to the University of Oregon‼️@OLCoachGeorge @CoachWoodiel @coach_cristobal @CoachMirabal pic.twitter.com/jvd8sKIeN6
— Percy Lewis (@percylewis14) March 2, 2021
[Listen to the latest Talkin’ Ducks Podcast with host Jordan Kent]

The 6'9", 360-pound prospect from Mississippi Gulf Coast C.C. received an offer from the University of Oregon on February 25th.

#AGTG Blessed and honored to receive an offer from the University of Oregon #GoDucksss @OLCoachGeorge @CoachWoodiel @CoachMirabal pic.twitter.com/oWO6cURvML
— Percy Lewis (@percylewis14) February 26, 2021
He appeared in five games last season, primarily playing left tackle.

In high school as a senior, he made 54 tackles, 36 assisted tackles, 5 TFL, 3 sacks, 6 QBH, 1 FR and 5 FF and was named to the Mississippi Association of Coaches Class 1A All-State First Team.

Lewis is the latest JUCO offensive lineman to commit to Mario Cristobal and the Ducks. Since promoting Cristobal to head coach, the Ducks have signed 6'7", 310-pound offensive tackle George Moore, 6'7", 345-pound lineman Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu and the 6'5", 330-pound T.J. Bass.

One thing every ACC team can improve in spring football (247sports.com; Kosko)

Football is almost back. Well, it’s only March and college basketball is about to take over the collegiate athletic scene, but spring football is rapidly approaching.

This is the time of year where teams can truly see what they have before hitting the ground running in the summer with training camps and fall practices before the new school year. In the ACC, every single team has something to improve upon.

Whether it’s fine tuning a position group or certain part of the game plan or completely revamping an area, all of these teams have something they need to be fixed before the 2021 season kicks off.

From figuring out the quarterback position, to tightening up the secondary or cutting down on turnovers, there’s always something to fix.

Speaking with members of the individual team sites in the ACC, 247Sports dove into what these programs need to highlight during spring football.

WAKE FOREST

Les Johns, DemonDeaconDigest: “With the loss of All-ACC defensive end Carlos ‘Boogie’ Basham to the 2021 NFL Draft, the Wake Forest defensive line has big shoes to fill. Generally speaking, defensive line coach Dave Cohen was disappointed with the production across his entire position group, and believes they should better set the tone for the defense as a whole.

“Wake is addressing leadership and depth issues at the linebacker position by moving sixth-year safety Luke Masterson into that room, in the belief that teaming him with junior Ryan Smenda and enhancing internal competition at all these spots will lead to more players emerging in spring and fall camp.”

BOSTON COLLEGE

EagleInsider's Tyler Calvaruso: “Boston College’s defense took a major leap forward last season, but its pass rush wasn’t exactly prolific and it struggled to contain mobile quarterbacks – look no further than Hendon Hooker thrashing the Eagles for 164 yards and three touchdowns on the ground. Spring practice is the ideal time for Boston College to address these weaknesses as Jeff Hafley and Tem Lukabu continue to install their defense. Another offseason of tutelage should help improve the Eagles in both of those areas.”

GEORGIA TECH

Rod Mackenzie, GoJackets: “Georgia Tech will be looking for improvement from their offense and more specifically their offensive line when they begin spring practice on March 23. They have the skill pieces in place with the return of freshman quarterback Jeff Sims and Freshman All-American Jahmyr Gibbs. An improved offensive line will allow Sims to sit in the pocket and make his reads and they’ll get Gibbs in space where he has the capability to take it to the house once he gets to the second level.”

SYRACUSE

10282414.jpg
(Photo: Grant Halverson/Getty Images, 247Sports)
Stephen Bailey, CuseNation: “While offensive line play is Syracuse's biggest weakness, that unit may not have a chance to truly get its starting five ready until fall camp, between incoming transfers and, potentially, the injuries that hampered the unit last year. What SU's spring ball can provide: a chance for second-year coordinators Tony White (defense) and Sterlin Gilbert (offense) to install, instruct and inspire. With only three spring practices last year, neither received adequate time to prepare their respective units. Looks for SU's 3-3-5 defense, especially, to expand its schemes and personnel groupings with the extra practice time.”

Clemson Football: How the Loss of Derion Kendrick Affects the Tigers (athlonsports.com; Kinne)

for gbo

Even without Kendrick, the Tigers' secondary will still boast plenty of talent
It wasn't a great 2020 for Clemson Tigers cornerback Derion Kendrick. While it's true that he did earn first-team All-ACC honors last fall, his play was rather inconsistent, punctuated by a less-than-stellar performance against Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl. He also had off-field issues that forced him to miss three games. And 2021 isn't starting off any better.

The Tigers announced on Sunday that Kendrick is no longer a part of the program. While the Tigers survived without their star corner in those three games last season, his departure creates a hole that is not easily filled. So where does Clemson go?

The starting two corner positions should be fine. Sheridan Jones started eight games for the Tigers in 2020 and should be improved entering his junior season. Andrew Booth Jr. will be on the other side of the field, and while the junior from Dacula, Georgia, needs to be more consistent, he has worlds of talent and was good enough to be a second-team All-ACC pick in 2020.

Former UNC athletic director John Swofford talks ACC commissioner retirement and more (dailytarheel.com; Duah-Mensah)

John Swofford served as the athletic director at UNC from 1980 to 1997. In July 1997, he was named the fourth commissioner of the Atlantic Coast Conference, a job he will retain until his upcoming retirement in June 2021. Before his retirement, we talked with Swofford to discuss the lessons he learned throughout his life, the difficulties of his time as commissioner and whether he had any regrets from his career.

This interview has been edited for brevity and clarity.

The Daily Tar Heel: What were some key moments in your career that were the most important lessons?

John Swofford: Shortly after I graduated from Carolina, I was working in a family business my father had started and older brothers were running since he had passed away, and I went to work with them. I found out pretty quickly that that was not where I wanted my path to be, and so I called Homer Rice, the athletic director at Carolina, and asked him if I could come down and speak with him about getting into sports administration. I had a nice conversation with him, in which he told me about a master's degree program at Ohio University. Homer became a mentor to me, and is to this day. I'm 72, so I guess it's a little odd to say you still have a mentor. That taught me to listen to people who know what they're talking about and develop relationships that can guide you in the right direction.

DTH: During your tenure, North Carolina won at least one national championship every year. How did you find the people who could propel that success?

JS: I enjoyed hiring coaches. A lot of athletic directors will tell you that they don't enjoy that. Obviously, you have to look for people who know what coaching is all about, the technicalities of their particular sport, and have integrity and character. But I always thought that fit was extremely important. This individual may be an excellent fit for that school, but not this particular school. So it had to be the right fit, and someone that understood that Carolina was all about the balance of athletics and academics competing at the national level, but doing it with integrity. There wouldn’t and shouldn't be corners cut. When a number of the coaches I hired are still there 25 years later, it's really gratifying, because I think it means it was the right approach. The last criteria I always had in hiring coaches was if I’d want my son or daughter to play for that coach. Dr. Beth Miller was my associate director, working with Olympic sports for most of my tenure. She was terrific and gave me a lot of input, particularly in hiring Olympic coaches.

DTH: When people look back on your tenure with the ACC, what do you think they misunderstand most?

JS: Probably the most controversial part of my tenure was expansion. The majority of the league shared the vision that, if we did not expand, we could lose quality members from the conference and the ACC could lose its national prominence. The trick was growing to improve our marketplaces and our geographic footprint, particularly with football. While we have had some tremendous football teams, programs and players, we didn't have the depth and consistency that a number of other conferences had. We knew we'd have to develop that in order to keep up, but we didn't want to do it at the expense of basketball, because basketball was so important to this league and its evolution. Fortunately, we're stronger in that sport, we have a depth of teams and we've got the markets to support it. At the same time, the league has been able to continue and maintain the tremendous competitiveness that it's had for decades in the sport of men's basketball while developing women's basketball as well. It's the same with the Olympic sports. In the end, it served the league well, but at the time, the path to get there was controversial and certainly not easy.

DTH: What are your biggest regrets from your career?

JS: By nature, I'm not one to have any regrets or to look backwards too much, but I do regret the first expansion of the conference was as cumbersome and challenging as it was. During the early expansions, we needed full unanimity with all of our schools to expand, rather than just a supermajority. So that might be one that I wish could have gone a little smoother, but the end result was what it needed to be. Whether it was as an athletic director at Carolina or as a commissioner at the ACC, what we do in sports administration is, and should be, about the athletes. That's why I got into the profession in the first place. So I've always had a little bit of a regret, whether it was as an AD with 800 athletes in the program, or as a commissioner with 14,000 athletes throughout the conference, that I couldn't get to know every single one of them. But that's not possible, so then you at least get to know as many of them as you can.

Rivalry Games that SHOULD be played (RX; HM)

Rivalry Games that SHOULD be played

Rivalries - it's what college football was built on.

50 Rivalries That Should Happen Every Year

Sadly they don't happen because some schools prefer to play FCS schools instead.

Sad. pic.twitter.com/bJeRNJKnYZ
— Big Game Boomer (@ATL_boomer1990) February 25, 2021
Here are my comments on the ACC-related rivalries in this list:
3. Michigan vs Notre Dame - not only does this have the requisite vinegar and geographic proximity to be a rivalry, but it's two "first tier" brands, so yes!
4. Pitt vs. West Virginia (aka "Backyard Brawl") - an old school Eastern independents rivalry that also checks the geography and vinegar boxes, although not quite as big in terms of brands.
7. Florida vs. Miami - big brands, in-state rivalry, and a trophy game - just not played as often as we'd like.
10. Penn State vs. Pitt (aka "Keystone Classic") - this in-state rivalry used to be on the same level as Ohio State/Michigan, but when PSU joined the Big Ten they didn't want to keep it going - too bad.
11. Georgia vs. Clemson - check geography and brands, although there isn't nearly as much vinegar with this one (probably because they just don't play that often any more).
12. Auburn vs. Georgia Tech - when GT was a member of the SEC, this was a big deal; unfortunately for us fans, they've hardly played each other at all since the Jackets joined the ACC.
13. Kentucky vs. Louisville - in-state, small brands but extra, extra vinegar. Happily, it's annual now.
15. Virginia Tech vs. West Virginia - it's a trophy game, geographic neighbors (although not as close as Pitt/WVU), and there's plenty of vinegar in this rivalry!
16. Cincinnati vs. Louisville - these two programs "grew up together", although now that the Cardinals have moved on to a better neighborhood they don't play together any more - too bad.
18. Notre Dame vs. Purdue - in-state is about the best thing you can say for this boring "rivalry"
19. Maryland vs. Virginia - this was annual for a very long time, but I get the sense the Terps just don't care about playing the Cavs any more.
20. UNC vs. South Carolina - two more programs that "grew up together", they're in different conferences but still manage to keep in touch by playing an occassional game.
22. Michigan St vs. Notre Dame - most historic than Notre Dame/Michigan, but nowhere near the vinegar (in fact, I think these guys actually like each other!)
23. Syracuse vs. W. Virginia - it seems like the ACC is full of teams that just don't like WVU; 'Cuse is definitely one of those teams.

Other

YO!BURRITO: A modern, slightly different take on Mexican opens in Manlius (PS; $; Cazentre)

One word you may not think of when you’re at the new YO!BURRITO takeout restaurant in Manlius is “authentic.”

That’s sort of the point.

“It’s not meant to be that, or completely traditional or anything like that,” said Mark Bullis, who is a partner in the new casual restaurant in the Limestone Commons Plaza with Nathan Fullmer. “It’s a modern take, with a twist, or a couple of twists.”

That means while you will find beef, chicken, carnitas (pork) or steak carne asada burritos and bowls, you’ll also find items that are vegan. You’ll find a bowl made with ancient grains as a base instead of rice. There will be “impossible” items, with a plant-based meat substitute.

But it’s not all about “health,” either. One item is a mac-and-cheese stuffed burrito.

In coming weeks, there be new choices, including “fusion” items that incorporate other cuisines, like Moroccan or Sudanese, Bullis said. And there will be more “whimsical” items on coming menus.

There are also salads, quesadillas and nachos, all following the build-your-model. And check out the Special Brownies, spiced with ancho chile. (Take a peek at the menu).

Attachments

• 1614773594921.png
    1614773594921.png
    1,012 bytes · Views: 92