Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Tau-Day.jpg
Welcome to Tau Day!

In 2001, Bob Palais published π Is Wrong, where he said pi (π) should not be used for the circle constant—the geometry of a circle expressed in a single number. Instead, he called for tau (τ), which is equal to 2π, or roughly 6.28318, to be used instead. Whereas π compares a circle's circumference to its diameter, τ is defined as the ratio of a circle's circumference to its radius. This means the measurement of the circumference of any circle is about 6.28318 times its radius. 2π is used quite often in mathematics, and proponents of tau say it would be much easier to simply replace that symbol with τ. In general, mathematicians write equations about circles using its radius as well, not its diameter.

On June 28, 2010, Michael Hartl published the Tau Manifesto, which stood behind Palais and expanded on his ideas. Like Palais, he called for tau to replace pi, saying pi is a "confusing and unnatural choice for the circle constant." He believed tau is a better way to describe the relationship between the circumference and the radius of a circle. With the release of his manifesto, he also created Tau Day. Just as 3/14 is Pi Day, 6/28 became Tau Day. It is an anti-Pi Day of sorts, and Hartl even called for Pi Day to be known as Half Tau Day. A growing number of mathematicians and physicists agree tau should replace pi, although this is not yet widely accepted.

SU News

1624878818778.jpeg

Kanye Varner Enjoys 'Smooth' Syracuse Official Visit (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2022 Jonesboro (GA) High defensive lineman Kanye Varner has been a priority Syracuse target for quite a while. Varner, who also holds offers from Buffalo, Coastal Carolina, Kansas State, Kent State, Liberty, Memphis, Central Florida and others, spent the weekend on the Syracuse campus for an official visit. We caught up with the 6-3, 270 pounder to see how it went.

Q: How was the visit?

Varner: "It was smooth. I took a campus tour. Got to meet the coaches and everything. Met some of the players. The best part was spending time with the players."

Q: Who was your player host?

Varner: "I think his name was Cody (Roscoe). Spending time with him was chill. He was making me feel comfortable and stuff. Really made it feel like home, basically. The players were telling me that's the place to go if you really want to be focused and stuff like that. Syracuse isn't all that big but there's stuff to do. The environment is good."

Q: What were your impressions of the campus, dorms and facilities?

Varner: "Everything was top notch. Everything was nice."

Q: Which coaches did you spend time with?

Varner: "Coach Reynolds was the main coach that I hung out with. I spent time with all the coaches, but the main one was coach Reynolds. It was chill. It was really nice because I got to meet him in person. He's laid back, old school. The main thing he was telling me was make sure I make the right decision."

1624878861737.jpeg

Syracuse DB target Jeremiah Wilson to announce commitment this week (247sports.com; Bailey)

Jeremiah Wilson
, a rising senior at Osceola High School in Kissimmee, Fla., will make his decision public on Wednesday.

The 5-foot-11, 183-pound Wilson is rated three stars and the No. 110 cornerback this cycle. He received an offer from Orange defensive coordinator Tony White last week. Wilson also holds offers from Coastal Carolina, Washington State, Arizona, Iowa State, Colorado State and East Carolina, among others. He took an unofficial visit to Wake Forest three weeks ago and an official to CCU two weeks ago.

As a junior at Osceola, Wilson logged six interceptions, 14 pass break-ups and three forced fumbles, according to his Hudl.com highlights, allowing an eight percent completion rate in man coverage.

Syracuse currently has four players committed to its 2022 class, including one defensive back in Cornell Perry. The rest of that group is composed of defensive linemen Belizaire Bassette and Malachi Davis, as well as running back LeQuint Allen.

SU hosted two other defensive back targets two weekends ago in Quan Peterson, who will announce his commitment on July 4, as well as Greg Delaine.

Coveted Linebacker Mani Powell Has 'Great' Syracuse Visit (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2022 Canton (Ohio) McKinley linebacker Mani Powell took an official visit to Syracuse over the weekend. Powell also holds offers from Arkansas, Boston College, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ole Miss and West Virginia, among others. We caught up with Powell to discuss his Syracuse visit.

Q: How was the visit?

Powell: "It was a great visit. I got to eat a lot, visit the big mall, tour campus, learn about the school and get to know new people and about their football program a little more. I'd say the best part was getting to talk to the players and get to know them in a few day span. And the presentations all the position coaches gave us."

Q: Who was your player host and which other players did you hang out with?

Powell: "It was great. I had a great time. My host was Mikel Jones, but I got along and met a few other hosts. It was cool to do that. I was with mostly linebackers and DBs. They told me it's a place that you can come in and be playing very early if you work for it. That it's fair game. They play who works for it. They say it's a very live place during the school year and the people there love Cuse football and Cuse in general. They told me that the academic help is remarkable and they will not let you fail unless you are trying to fail."

Q: What did you think of the facilities, campus and dorms?

Powell: "The dorms are a cool setup for the guys to have a nice living situation. I loved the Dome. It was even better in person. Lastly, the 44 statues were amazing."

College Football News Preseason All-ACC Football Team: Preview 2021 (CFN; Staff)

2021 Preseason CFN ACC Offensive Player of the Year

QB DJ UIAGALELEI, SOPH. CLEMSON

North Carolina QB Sam Howell could very easily be here, and the hope is for Clemson WR Justyn Ross and Miami QB D’Eriq King to be healthy enough to be in the mix for the ACC Offensive Player of the Year honor, but

Uiagalelei is a special talent.

It’s putting too much pressure on the guy to step in right away and be what Trevor Lawrence has been for the Tigers over the last three years, but … he’s good enough to step in right away and be what Trevor Lawrence has been for the Tigers over the last three years.

The 6-4, 250-pound former super-recruit came through when Lawrence was out in the middle of the season, throwing for 342 yards against Boston College and 439 against Notre Dame – and now he should do that on a regular basis. He’s got the size, the arm, the mobility, and the team around him to be the big man on the ACC campus.

2021 Preseason CFN ACC Defensive Player of the Year

DT BRYAN BRESEE, SOPH. CLEMSON

The next great Clemson defensive tackle was expected to be good right away after coming to campus as the 2020 No. 1 recruit in the nation, and he didn’t disappoint as one of the ACC’s best interior linemen.

The 6-5, 300-pounder was a bit banged up at times, but he was still steady throughout the year as a tough presence and quick enough to come up with 33 tackles with four sacks and 6.5 tackles for loss – and he’s just scratching the surface.

Too quick, too athletic, and with the NFL size – and the ability to get a bit bigger and stronger – he finished last year with a strong game against Ohio State and now should be an even more dominant force.

College Football News 2021 Preseason All-ACC Team: Offense

QB – DJ Uiagalelei, Soph. Clemson

RB – Jashaun Corbin, Soph. Florida State

RB – Zonovan Knight, Soph. NC State

WR – Zay Flowers, Jr. Boston College

WR – Jaquarii Roberson, Jr. Wake Forest

TE – Braden Galloway, Sr. Clemson

OT – Ikem Ekwonu, Soph. NC State

OG – Ben Petrula, Sr. Boston College

C – Alec Lindstrom, Jr. Boston College

OG – Lecitus Smith, Jr. Virginia Tech

OT – Zion Johnson, Sr. Boston College

NOTE: Clemson WR Justyn Ross is here when he’s medically cleared to play.
Football News 2021 Preseason All-ACC Team: Defense

DE – Amare Barno, Jr. Virginia Tech

DT – Bryan Bresee, Soph. Clemson

DT – Tyler Davis, Jr. Clemson

DE – Myles Murphy, Soph.

LB – SirVocea Dennis, Jr. Pitt

LB – Baylon Spector, Jr. Clemson

LB – Payton Wilson, Soph. NC State

CB – Andrew Booth, Jr. Clemson

S – Joey Blount, Sr. Virginia

S – Nolan Turner, Sr. Clemson

CB – Kei’Trel Clark, Soph. Louisville

College Football News 2021 Preseason All-ACC Team: Special Teams

PK – Nick Sciba, Jr. Wake Forest

P – Lou Hedley, Jr. Miami

KR – Zonovan Knight, Soph. NC State

PR – Thomas Thayer, Jr. NC State

Nine Boston College Eagles Make Phil Steele's 2021 All ACC Team (SI; Black)

Phil Steele released his '21 All ACC Team team earlier this week, and nine Boston College players made the list.

Junior Zay Flowers was named to Phil Steele’s All-ACC first-team as a wide receiver. He finished last season with 892 yards. In addition two offensive linemen were also tabbed to the All-ACC first-team in Alec Lindstrom and Zion Johnson, both of whom were named All American by Steele earlier this week

Offensive tackle Tyler Vrabel was named to Steele’s All-ACC second-team along with kick returner Travis Levy and punt returner Jaelen Gill.

ESPN Analyst: Not so fast on Heels being Clemson's challenger (theclemsoninsider.com; Staff)

It seems as if most people this year expect North Carolina to be Clemson’s biggest challenge to a seventh straight ACC Championship.

But no so fast, according to Miami head coach Manny Diaz. The Hurricanes’ coach told ESPN’s Heather Dinich on Friday this year’s team is his oldest and most experienced and they appear to be better up front.

Athlon Sports predicted Miami to finish second in the Coastal behind the Tar Heels. They have the ‘Canes going 9-3 overall with a 6-2 mark in the ACC. They also listed the Hurricanes No. 14 in its preseason poll.

Clemson, who is ranked No. 2 in Athlons Sports’ Preseason Poll, is the overwhelming favorite to win a seven consecutive ACC Championship.

112317spFb1123-Story2-768x432.jpg

RUMOR: If Successful in 2021, PJ Fleck Will Leave Minnesota for ACC Payday (minnesotasportsfan.com; Strack)

There is a lot of hope and optimism coming from the Minnesota Gophers football program, leading into a 2021 season that kicks off on September 2 at TCF Bank Stadium vs Ohio State. But with optimism, comes “PJ Fleck is leaving us” rumors.

This time, those rumors are being pushed by a local insider who couldn’t be more plugged in and credible. Charley Walters, at this point in his career, only writes every other weekend for the Pioneer Press. But anything he does print is pretty much guaranteed to be laced with at least a few sticks of dynamite.

Today’s biggest charge was early “buzz” surrounding PJ Fleck and a move to the ACC, should his 2021 campaign with the Gophers end a successful one. According to Walters, Virginia Tech is ready to offer $6 million/year to the current Minnesota head coach, a number that could potentially make him top-10 among his national peers. Fleck’s salary at the U of M is $4.6 million/year, good for #24 in the nation (according to USA Today).

Here’s @Charley_Walters dropping a casual PJ Fleck —> Virginia bombshell on a quiet Sunday morning. #Gophers pic.twitter.com/JH9ft5aiy7
— Minnesota Sports Fan (@realmnsportsfan) June 27, 2021

TIME TO BUY-IN ON FOOTBALL

Virginia Tech isn’t the classic helmet school you’d expect PJ Fleck to leave Minnesota for. But, when you look at the evolving landscape of college athletics, especially football, this kind of investment shouldn’t be surprising.

On Second Thought: 12-Team CFP (RX; HM)

On Second Thought: 12-Team CFP

Many of you still remember "Frank the Tank" from the realignment craze a few years ago, but he still pops in over at CSNBBS from time to time - as he did to comment on the proposed College Football Playoff expansion from four teams to 12. (Note: the red highlights are mine).

Frank the Tank wrote this:

I've long said that the reason why the NFL is so valuable is because of the playoff *hunt* as opposed to the playoffs themselves. Having many more fan bases invested (and not about consolation bowl berths, but rather real title implications) much later into the regular season is what drives the NFL product. As much as I love football, I'm not a big NFL fan because of some national brands. Instead, it's because I want to watch *my* team (the Chicago Bears) have a chance to win it all.
Essentially, anyone that is ranked in the top 25 or so within the last month of the regular season at least has a *shot* at a playoff bid in a 12-team playoff, even if less than half of them end up making it. That's a HUGE increase in teams and regular season games that have national playoff implications compared to now, which in turn drives up the value of conference TV contracts.
Now that I think about, look at how the Big Ten, Pac-12 and Big 12 are going to be entering into new TV negotiations soon. Having the new playoff system in place by the time that they negotiate could really drive up the value of all of their contracts, so that may be another incentive for a lot of parties to get this done (even with concessions to the G5).
...and this
If the P5 take 11 of the 12 playoff spots, that's essentially 1 out of 6 P5 teams making it to the playoff in most years. That creates a lot more happy fan bases and even plebian programs (like my Illini) could wrap their heads around making it at some point.

Best Tailgating Atmospheres? (RX; HM)

Best Tailgating Atmospheres?

Big Game Boomer has tweeted his "10 best" tailgating atmospheres for each FBS conference...

Top 10 Best Tailgating Atmospheres In Every Conference pic.twitter.com/JCkSCDOhk0
— Big Game Boomer (@BigGameBoomer) June 24, 2021
Top half of the ACC:
  1. Va Tech
  2. Clemson
  3. FSU
  4. NC State
  5. UVA
  6. Louisville
  7. UNC
The top 4 looks right to me, but honestly I'm not sure about 5 through 7. Based on reputation, it seems like Louisville should be 5th.
Not making the top 10:

• Duke
  • Pitt
  • Syracuse
  • Wake
Duke in the bottom four - sure! However, I've heard too many good things about tailgating at Wake Forest. Also, based on reputation, it seems like BC is too high at number 9 - surely Chestnut Hill is in the bottom four, no?
BOTTOM LINE:
This kind of list is, of necessity, very subjective, anyway. I certainly haven't been able to tailgate at every ACC school, so I suppose BGB's list is plausible. Perhaps some of you readers can give more authoritative opinions? If so, I'd love to hear from you!

NCAA allows NIL Everywhere (RX; HM)

NCAA allows NIL Everywhere

From Sports Illustrated: NCAA's Alternative NIL Proposal Waives Bylaw 12, But Limits Compensation
The NCAA's temporary name, image and likeness measure will allow athletes to either (a) follow the laws in the state where the school is located, or (b) follow the school's own policy if the state doesn't have specific NIL guidelines. In other words, essentially, the NCAA will waive Bylaw 12, which prohibits athletes from pay for play, effective July 1. There will continue to be limits to compensation under the new NCAA rules, unless and until Congress passes a nationwide law governing NIL-related issues.

Among the prohibitions in the proposal:

• NIL compensation cannot be given or offered to players based on their enrollments at specific institutions (e.g. a player cannot be awarded specific NIL compensation that is dependent commitment to play football at the University of Alabama).
  • Players cannot be offered financial incentives within any NIL deals based on athletic performance (e.g. a quarterback cannot receive an increase in NIL compensation if he were to throw for a certain number of yards, touchdowns, etc).
Under the NCAA proposal, each school would be responsible for policing their own athletes. (Yeah, there's no way anything could go wrong with that, huh?)

Other

INEKNZZITVE4HKPES3VNYO3VAA.jpg

A night shot of the M&T Bank building at 101 S. Salina St. in downtown Syracuse.Rick Moriarty | rmoriarty@syracuse.com

A downtown Syracuse landmark just sold for $7 million (PS; $; Moriarty)

A Washington, D.C., developer has completed his purchase of a large office building that has been part of the downtown Syracuse scene for 124 years.

Douglas Jemal, principal of Douglas Development, bought M&T Bank’s iconic tower at 101 S. Salina St., as well as an adjacent garage with 500 parking spots, for $7.2 million, according to Cushman & Wakefield | Pyramid Brokerage Co.

Jemal plans to convert most of the building to apartments, leaving the first level, including M&T’s historic former bank lobby facing Clinton Square, available for retail and office tenants. Le Moyne College’s Occupational Therapy Program occupies the portion of the campus at East Washington and South Warren streets.

Built as the home of Onondaga County Savings Bank in 1897, the 10-story neo-classical building was Syracuse’s first steel-framed skyscraper. It contains 120,000 square feet of office and retail space, including an ornate lobby with murals depicting Syracuse’s early history.

M&T moved its regional offices and bank branch to 250 S. Clinton St. in November.

Jemal specializes in turning old commercial buildings into mixed-use properties. He has redeveloped numerous buildings in Buffalo.

John L. Clark and Joyce Mawhinney MacKnight of Cushman & Wakefield | Pyramid Brokerage Co. represented M&T in the sale.