Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
1624965926086.jpeg

Welcome to National Camera Day!

Smile and say cheese, it's National Camera Day! Today we celebrate cameras and the photographs they capture, which contain beauty and memories from our lives. Prior to the camera's emergence, people relied on written descriptions, drawings, and paintings, and accounts of events were often made long after they took place. Cameras made it possible to reproduce events in the moment, as they were, and photographs were easy to take and make copies of.

The camera obscura came before the camera. Used by the ancient Greek and Chinese, it was similar to a pinhole camera and projected an image that could be traced. The first real photograph was taken in the mid-1810s by Nicéphore Niépce, who used paper coated with silver chloride to make it. This photograph wasn't permanent, however, but Niépce created a more lasting one in the mid-1820s, using a wooden box camera made by Charles and Vincent Chevalier. Niépce began working with Louis Daguerre on a new photographic camera but passed away in 1833 before it was completed. By 1837, Daguerre had created a new, sharp-image photograph, which became known as a daguerreotype.

More efficient cameras made by others followed, that used dry and wet plates and twin reflex lenses—with shortened exposure times and faster shutters—and that were smaller and more portable. In 1885, George Eastman, who had recently founded Kodak, debuted film cameras. Originally made with chemically coated paper, film started being made with celluloid in 1889. Kodak's small "Brownie Box" began being sold on a large scale in 1900 and was popular into the 1960s.

SU News

J6GNT2ANEZC2FIBSWKIALETR5Y.jpeg

Syracuse quarterback Tommy DeVito (13) throws a pass against Duke during an NCAA college football game, Saturday, Oct 10, 2020, at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, N.Y.

Babers on his QBs: One has legs to be reckoned with. Another finally has ‘quiet’ feet (PS; $; Mink)

Syracuse will return to practice in about a month, when a quarterback competition Dino Babers said could rub up against the Sept. 4 season opener at Ohio will start to take shape.

Returning starter Tommy DeVito is vying to hold off Garrett Shrader, the transfer from Mississippi State who spent most of the spring semester catching up on the language of the Orange offense.

It’s a season-defining decision in a year in which Babers is facing pressure to win.

There’s rarely been such ambiguity at quarterback heading into a season under Babers. It last happened with Eric Dungey and DeVito back in 2018, when Babers let the question hang in the air deep into August, despite Dungey having three seasons of starting experience.

This summer has a similar feeling. DeVito is now the fourth-year player who has started games in multiple seasons and is coming off a year cut short by injury. Shrader is trying to close ground on the incumbent.

Just like three years ago, the quarterbacks feature two distinguishing styles.

7975411_f37e27a672534bf0ad625e533c92678b.jpg

Max McCree Discusses Syracuse Visit (SI; McAllister)

Iowa Central Community College offensive lineman Max McCree took an official visit to Syracuse over the weekend. AllSyracuse.com caught up with the 6-6 290 pounder to see how it went.

Q: How was the visit?
McCree: "I had a great time. I really enjoyed myself. What I really liked about it was that I met a lot of the players. I really got to connect with the players.
Q: Who was your player host?
McCree: "My player host was actually my right guard that I played with last season (Jakob Bradford). It was great being able to see him again and reconnecting with him. He told me that I was going to be treated right (at Syracuse). They're really professional up there. If I was to come there it wouldn't be a bad decision."
Q: What was your impression of the campus and the facilities?
McCree: "The facilities and the campus were awesome. They were just really cool with the campus and the look of the buildings. The football facilities, man, they were just awesome."
Q: Which coaches did you spend time with?
McCree: "I got to spend time with the offensive line coach, coach Schmidt. Deon Maddox. Those were the two main coaches I was around. Their message was that if I were to commit there, I would be taken care of. There was going to be a plan for me and that I was wanted there. That was really appreciated."
Q: How was the trip to the bowling alley/arcade with the team?
McCree: "It was really fun. There was a lot of stuff to do. I went bowling with the players and the coaches, and we had a good time."
Q: What did the visit do for your interest in Syracuse?
McCree: "I'm very interested. I really liked it there."
Q: What is next for you in your recruiting process?
McCree: "Right now I have no more visits planned. I really like Syracuse. I don't want to make a decision too early. So I'm just going to chill and see what's going to come up for me."

Screen-Shot-2021-06-27-at-4.07.34-PM.png

Summer School: Rutgers with Chris Carlin – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; Bonaparte)

After Greg Schiano left the program for the NFL in 2012, Rutgers football hit a steep decline. In the years Schiano was away the Scarlet Knights went 36-63. They became the laughing stock of college football and surely needed a change. What better change to make than bringing past success back? That’s right, Schiano returned after some time in the NFL and Ohio State. In his first season back he began to put the team back on the right track, a task he’s used to now after having done the same back in 2001.

Here’s who to look out for when Syracuse takes on Rutgers in September:

Running Back – Isaih Pacheco #1

Going into 2021 there’s some serious talent on this roster. In three years, Isaih Pacheco has proven his ability as a feature back. The New Jersey native averaged 4.5 yards per carry over three seasons along with 2019 yards from scrimmage. In ‘21, Pacheco will likely improve, as the offense won’t have to rely on handing him the ball every play. At 5-11, 210 lbs, Pacheco is an absolute bowling ball. The Syracuse linebacking core better be ready to deal with a formidable running game.

Pacheco will of course look to improve next season. He won’t have to worry about overuse, as Rutgers QB and WR play have improved, and they’ve added a new face to the arsenal.

Quarterback – Noah Vedral #0

Let’s start with the field general, Noah Vedral. 2020, was Vedral’s first season in Rutgers, his fourth in college football. The Nebraska native started his career playing UCF, but after his freshman season, transferred to his hometown Cornhuskers. After he didn’t start in his second season at Nebraska, Vedral made the move to his third school, Rutgers. He got his first chance as a starter, and in that role played….fine. 1,200 yards, 9 passing touchdowns – 8 interceptions on 62% completion. Though with a year under his belt and another season under Greg Schiano on its way he poised for improvement.

Top Secret Fyles: Get ready for super wild-card weekend in the NFL (nny360.com; Fyles)

From the drawers of the Top Secret Fyles:

The Syracuse University football team’s first official practice is just more than a month away along with 129 other FBS programs nationwide.

While SU looks to improve on last season’s disappointment 1-10 overall record, there are five programs, based on the fruits of recruiting over the past few seasons, who could raise some eyebrows this fall.

Some of the factors also involved following a 2020 season hindered with the COVID-19 pandemic are: 1) players are now granted an extra year of eligibility; 2) programs nationwide were dealt with varying schedules, from zero games to a full season; 3) fans in the stands could affect the players’ motivation on the field.

Here are the five who could come alive or see rapid improvement in 2021 (SU is not on the list):
1. California (1-3 record in 2020). Nineteen starters return, including QB Chase Garbers. Head coach Justin Wilcox has seen solid recruiting classes during his five-year tenure at the Pac-12 Conference school.
2. Maryland (2-3). Terps’ solid recruiting classes from 2017 and ’18 are now all seniors. Maryland scored an upset win over Penn State last season in the Big Ten. It will interesting to see how QB Taulia Tagovailoa develops for head coach Mike Locksley, who’s only 6-17 at the school.

3. Miami, Fla. (8-3). Houston transfer and QB D’Eriq King enjoyed a big year in 2020 for head coach Manny Diaz, whose ’21 team features a strong senior class. The Hurricanes should be in contention for the ACC championship.
4. USC (5-1) — The Trojans never seem to be lacking in the talent department. The 2017 and ’18 recruiting classes were each ranked fourth in the nation. Return of QB Kedon Slovis and 15 other seniors on the roster may have Trojans in the hunt for a berth in the College Football Playoff’s four-team field.
5. Wisconsin (4-3). QB Graham Mertz, a potential Heisman Trophy candidate, and three consecutive solid recruiting classes have head coach Paul Chryst and the Badgers thinking they can seriously contend for the Big Ten championship.
On the other end of the spectrum, here are some programs who could tumble from 2020 due to faulty player procurement: Marshall (7-3); Houston (3-5); Hawaii (5-4); UConn (0-0); Coastal Carolina (11-1); and Buffalo (6-1).

ACC Football Uniform Rankings (SI; Wolfe)

Our favorite writer with more uncanny insights...

As we slip deeper into the summer, the football content machine slowly winds down. Which means we naturally have to start generating some controversy and/or discussion to keep the content gods happy. One of the best ways to do this make lists and rank things. Now, some people think these lists are a lazy way to make content and inspire discussion. So without further ado, let’s get into the list.

For this week’s list, I ranked the uniforms of the ACC. Not that it matters, but I’ll explain my criteria. This ranking will take into account each school’s primary home (color) and away (white) uniform. When discussing uniforms, there has to be a balance of new uniqueness and timelessness. Schools that have multiple alternates or throwbacks will be taken into account, but those will not be the primary deciding factor. Additionally, these rankings take into account the entire ensemble of the uniform: helmet, jersey, pants, socks, and shoes.

D-Tier: Generally Boring or Unimaginative Uniforms - Georgia Tech, Duke, Boston College

Even with new uniforms, BC can’t escape the bottom of the barrel. BC’s new ensemble from Adidas is an improvement from the normal Under Armour template BC adopted before switching to the throwback style that Adidas brought over. But it’s a generally underwhelming look, with no alternative helmets, jerseys, or pants (yet). Duke’s variety of helmets keeps them out of the basement here, but the Blue Devils’ jersey and pants ensembles are among the more boring in all of college football. Luckily, Duke can mix and match several different colors of pants with many different helmets. Last in the bottom tier is Georgia Tech, who like BC was saved by Adidas from Russell Athletic (puke) only a few years ago. Unfortunately, Adidas has not had the chance to really flex their muscle with the Yellow Jackets yet, but until they bring back the honeycomb helmets, GT’s ceiling is limited.

C-Tier: Too Tight, Too Much Going On - NC State, Louisville, Syracuse

Generally, I dislike Adidas’ older style of uniforms, which look extremely tight-fitting. Both NC State and Louisville employ these looks and it just doesn’t look right. The Wolfpack’s uniforms are just too busy and some of their alternates are big misses. Louisville can deploy some solid looks, but they’re just not exciting. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I liked Syracuse’s last iteration of their uniforms, with the big numbers and diagonal lines through them. It gave a generally boring team a unique, futuristic identity. But now, they just have stripes and the school name, very reminiscent of the Cleveland Browns’ uniforms from a few years ago.

Clemson football: Tigers are still miles ahead of second place in the ACC (rubbingtherock.com; Benedict)

Clemson football has picked it up in the month of June in regards to their 2022 recruiting class. No one should be surprised by this as the Tigers have finally been allowed to host potential recruits over the last several weeks.

A lot of people have gone out of their way over the last several months to try and convince themselves and others that Clemson football is on the backside of their success under head coach Dabo Swinney.

People are on the Mack Brown and Manny Diaz train and really believe that they are going to be able to dethrone the Tigers in 2021. Boston College and FSU are currently atop the ACC recruiting rankings for 2022 and believe they both have a chance to dance with Clemson.

Clemson football is still light years better than anyone in the ACC

Don’t fool yourselves and certainly don’t let national writers or talking heads fool, Clemson football isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

Yes, college athletics is cyclical and what Alabama has been able to establish and sustain since their first title under Saban in 2009 is legendary and unheard of with the scholarship limits in place but Clemson football is not far behind them in any category.

Fans of UNC, Miami, Boston College, FSU, and Georgia Tech should feel good about where their programs are and how they are recruiting. Sure, they may even steal a five-star recruit every now and then but don’t mistake their short-term immediate success for anything sustainable or having the ability to knock Clemson off of the ACC mountain.

There isn’t a team from any conference on the 2021 Clemson football schedule that is better than the Tigers and that includes potential ACC title foes – Miami or UNC, who both get the luxury of missing Clemson in the regular season.

2021 Preseason Bowl Predictions (SN) (RX; HM)

2021 Preseason Bowl Predictions (SN)

From Sporting News: College football bowl predictions 2021 (preseason)

Non-CFP ACC Bowl predictions

DATEBOWLMATCHUP
Dec. 27Military BowlNavyWake Forest
Dec. 28First Responder BowlBaylorVirginia
Dec. 28Holiday BowlArizona StateMiami
Dec. 29Fenway BowlCincinnatiPitt
Dec. 29Pinstripe BowlNorthwesternLouisville
Dec. 29Cheez-It BowlWest VirginiaFlorida State
Dec. 30Mayo BowlIndianaN.C. State
Dec. 31Gator BowlMissouriVirginia Tech
Dec. 31Sun BowlUtahBoston College

ACC-Related College Football New Year's Six predictions

DATEBOWLMATCHUP
Dec. 30Peach BowlNotre DameTexas A&M
Jan. 1Fiesta BowlCoastal CarolinaNorth Carolina
Dec. 31Orange Bowl (semifinal)Ohio StateAlabama
Dec. 31Cotton Bowl (semifinal)OklahomaClemson

COMMENTS:

• I really like some of these matchups, and I hope they actually happen. Specifically, I like Navy vs. Wake, Cincinnati vs. Pitt, and West Virginia vs. Florida State.

Best Graduate Transfers (RX; HM)

Best Graduate Transfers

From ESPN's Ranking the 10 best graduate transfers in college football since Russell Wilson in 2011, here are their top 10 players, along with comments from the three ACC-related transfers (click the link to read about the rest).
1. Joe Burrow, LSU (2018-19); Original school: Ohio State (2015-17)
2. Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma (2019); Original school: Alabama (2016-18)
3. Brady White, Memphis (2018-20); Original school: Arizona State (2015-16)
4. Gardner Minshew II, Washington State (2018); Original school: East Carolina (2016-17)
5. Jake Coker, Alabama (2014-15); Original school: Florida State (2012-13)

Other

INTTH4EQUZCJVIGKPRN2CFX7KQ.jpg

Otro Cinco reopening downtown restaurant, but big changes await patrons (PS; $; Miller)

Otro Cinco, the popular downtown restaurant and bar known for its fresh take on Mexican and Spanish cuisine, will reopen next month for the first time since closing in November during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Johanna Yorke, the owner of Otro Cinco at 206 S. Warren St., said they’ll open Friday, July 16. With the reopening comes a new menu and approach to dinner. Otro Cinco will no longer serve its Americanized Mexican food such as tacos and burritos. Alto Cinco, its sister restaurant on Westcott Street, will continue to serve Mexican food.

Yorke and longtime manager Sarah Pallo are expanding the restaurant’s signature paellas and tapas, and they will introduce new dishes influenced by the diverse regions of Spain. Andrew Post, who worked at Alto Cinco from 2004 to 2008 and Otro since the summer of 2018, will be the head chef.

A C uniform grade? Lol. Fansided gave us #5 in the ACC. (Just a little too plain) SBnation #4.

It's great to look like Cuse, again.