Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
World-Mosquito-Day-2021-784x441.jpg

Welcome to World Mosquito Day!

World Mosquito Day takes place on the anniversary of the day in 1897 when British doctor Sir Ronald Ross discovered that the female Anopheles mosquitoes transmit malaria between humans. This led to scientists ability to better understand the relationship between mosquitoes and diseases, and what could be done to combat it. In 1902, Ross received the Nobel Prize for medicine for his work. Since the 1930's, the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine has held commemorative celebrations each year. Although much progress has been done when it comes to eradicating deaths from mosquitoes, there is still much to do. Precise numbers vary, but over 200 million people get malaria each year, and roughly 500,000 die from the disease. More than half of all deaths from mosquitoes are because of malaria, and the largest area at risk for malaria in the world is Africa.

SU News

SU football fans anxiously anticipating return to Carrier Dome (PS; $; Waters)

The tailgates. The atmosphere. The camaraderie.

Oh yeah, and cheering on the Orange in person.

Syracuse football fans missed all of that and more during the 2020 season when the coronavirus pandemic prevented fans from attending games at the Carrier Dome.

With the 2021 season about to begin, SU fans are looking forward to getting back into the Dome to cheer on the Orange when Syracuse hosts Rutgers on Sept. 11 in the home opener.

In addition to seeing this year’s team, fans want to see the Dome’s renovations, including the new scoreboard. They want to renew friendships with familiar faces in their sections. They want to see if the bathroom troughs are still there.

Syracuse.com spoke to several season-ticket holders about their experiences over the past year and their anticipation for the upcoming season.

The Hard Hat Crew

Kevin Sheridan and his friends Jeff Roche, Jamie Paussa and Brad McBride have been going to Syracuse games together for the past 15 years.

You may not know them, but you’ve definitely seen them. The four are recognizable for their hard hats.

At games, the Hard Hat Crew sits in the East endzone, but before the games they tailgate in the parking lot behind the Marshall Street Mall.
A long wait for a shorter commute

Mark Cupelo first started buying season tickets to Syracuse football games when he was a freshman in 1974.

In that time, he has missed five games. That includes the year Syracuse had to play its home games in alternate venues during the construction of the Carrier Dome. Two of Cupelo’s absences were when his wife, Elissa, was in labor.

Born and raised in Syracuse, Cupelo had worked for many years in Endicott. He still kept his football tickets, gladly making the three-hour roundtrip to see the Orange.

A year ago, Cupelo retired. He and Elissa moved back to Syracuse. He eagerly anticipated a 15-minute drive to the Dome.

Instead, he watched the games on television. Now he’s not only looking forward to being inside the Dome, but he’s also ready to return to his traditional tailgate in the Henry Lot, previously known as the Fine Lot.

“We labeled ourself the Fine Mess Tailgate,’’ Cupelo said. “It’s a great group. The whole social aspect of being a football fan, beyond the game itself, it’s a happening. You get hooked up into a group like that, to miss it for a year, It was tough. It was tough.’’

2021 Syracuse Football Positional Preview: Defensive Backs (waer.org)

Be prepared to see a different-looking SU secondary in 2021. The leaders are gone: Andre Cisco, Ifeatu Melinfonwu and Trill Williams all departed for the NFL. Now, a talented group of youngsters looks to take the baton and continue one of SU’s strongest units from a season ago.

Garrett Williams, Redshirt Freshman

Williams is coming off a tremendous Freshman season in 2020. Named a Freshman All-American by The Athletic, the Harrisburg, North Carolina native finished tied for the ACC lead with 10 pass breakups to go with 5.8 tackles per game, the most among cornerbacks in the conference. Orange fans most remember Williams for his interception and return for a touchdown off Trevor Lawrence in October. After emerging as a lockdown corner in his first season, Williams brings an element of excitement to the Syracuse secondary as the face of it in year two.

Ja’Had Carter, Redshirt Freshman

Carter is another player that shined immediately once getting his opportunity. As a true freshman in 2020, the Richmond, Virginia native played in all 11 games, leading the DB group with 67 tackles. Carter ended the 2020 season on a high note against Notre Dame, recording just the second interception all season off thrown by Ian Book to go with five tackles.

Jason Simmons, Sophomore

Simmons is a new face in the Orange secondary but brings lots of experience. The Lancaster, Texas native made eight starts with New Mexico State as a true freshman in 2019 and recorded 62 tackles. As an independent, the Aggies had no college football season in 2020 and Simmond entered his name in the transfer portal, choosing Syracuse on February 27. The second-year player has shutdown defense in his blood too, as his father Jason is the defensive pass game coordinator for the Carolina Panthers.

Carlson: Babers must show Syracuse football's progress in 2021 - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

We’re about two weeks from Syracuse football’s 2021 opener against Ohio, and there are still plenty of lingering questions as practice winds down. We asked all of them to Syracuse.com’s Chris Carlson in this week’s The Juice on the Cuse Podcast, presented by SNY.tv.

Among the top questions is who has the edge in the quarterback battle between incumbent starting quarterback Tommy DeVito and Mississippi State transfer Garrett Shrader.

“If I was a betting person, I would certainly bet on Tommy DeVito,” Carlson says. “That’s not unexpected because he knows the system and Garrett Shrader is still learning.”

Babers has kept practices closed for the most part, and media has had limited access. Of what little Carlson has seen, he’s found DeVito to be more pinpoint on his throws.

Then again, quarterbacks aren’t allowed to be hit at this time of year, and Shrader’s advantage over DeVito is his quickness, something that’s hard to judge.

“(Tommy) is going to shine in those situations,” Carlson says.

Another area of concern is the offensive line, which was one of the worst units in all of college football in 2020.

The good news for the Orange is that it returns all of its main contributors from last year, and adds several important pieces, including Florida transfer Chris Bleich and JUCO transfer Jakob Bradford.

Another reason for optimism is health. Tackle Airon Servais, now a sixth-year senior, played hurt through most of last year. He’s finally healthy.

“I certainly think they’ll be better,” Carlson says.

That is good news for head coach Dino Babers, who is feeling the heat over a dreadful 1-10 season in 2020. While Babers isn’t squarely on the hot seat, he could very well be if the Orange struggles again.

“Syracuse is looking for every reason to keep Dino Babers,” Carlson says. “He’s got two years left on his contract after this one. Syracuse isn’t a program that is flush with boosters and can toss money at someone to go away.”

In the end, Carlson doesn’t predict the Orange will be going to a bowl game. More likely, the Orange is in the 4-5 win territory, which should be enough to buy Babers another year.

“If Syracuse can sell the idea that they made progress this year and they get 4-5 wins,” Carlson says, “I think Dino will be fine.”

(soundcloud.com; podcast; The Juice)

Syracuse.com's Chris Carlson previews the 2021 Orange football season with host Wes Cheng on The Juice on the Cuse Podcast hosted by SNY.tv. Editor in chief Brad Bierman then calls in to chat about Carmelo Anthony joining the Los Angeles Lakers.

30 Minutes In Orange Nation 8-19 (ESPN; radio; Steve & Paulie)

Steve celebrates the Yankees’ recent success as Paulie explains why he’s basically a Red Sox fan now. Then the guys are joined by Syracuse fullback Chris Elmore before their producer Jordan teaches them about #GoodValue by examining some ACC football “best bets.”

Listen to Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball on TuneIn (tunein.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Who are the potential Syracuse football breakout candidates on the offensive side of the ball? The guys give their lists and discuss the production uncertainty at the wide receiver position. Plus, they continue their most important Orange offensive linemen list with their 2nd most important: Airon Servais. Tim Leonard and Tyler Aki discuss it all and more on the Thursday edition of the Locked on Syracuse Podcast.

Listen to Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball on TuneIn (tunein.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Who are the potential Syracuse football breakout candidates on the defensive side of the ball? The guys give their lists and discuss their excitement for a young group of defensive backs. Plus, they continue their most important Orange offensive linemen list with their 1st most important: Matthew Bergeron. Tyler Aki and Tim Leonard discuss it all and more on the Friday edition of the Locked on Syracuse Podcast. Follow the show on Twitter @LO_Syracuse and follow the guys

Syracuse Football: Report says SU isn’t the best college team in New York (itlh; Fiello)

I was raised on Syracuse football, and hopefully, I’ll die in the Cuse. When I die, I hope I’m buried in Orange. I’ve loved Syracuse so much that my wife’s well aware I want an Orange house even. I love the area, the people, the food, the local businesses and of course the local sports.

So when someone insults the area (like Pete Davidson did in the past) or the teams I’ve loved passionately since I was a young Orange lad, sometimes I take it personally, especially if I disagree. So when CBS Sports says Army has the best football program in NY over the past 3-4 years, I feel like I’m being insulted.

First off, let me make one thing crystal clear and that is this, my writing this is not intended as a shot at Army. I love Army and served in the Army myself along with my father, two uncles, a cousin and a nephew.

I root for Army especially against Navy and even advocated the old Big East add them both before Syracuse football left. If I didn’t root for SU, it would likely either be Army or Buffalo, who was also snubbed here so why would I hate on a team that if I had a 2nd favorite football team (is that a thing…2nd favorite?), it would be them?

Second, I’d even go with Buffalo over Army. Buffalo had been playing great the last few years. Plus Buffalo RB Kevin Marks is a legit playmaker who alone gives Buffalo the advantage. Buffalo also had last season cut short and is equally comparable to Army in losses over the last 4 seasons but fewer games and fewer wins.

Syracuse football can prove on the field that it is the best team in New York state.

Now if you go back a 5th season, Buffalo had a 2 win season which does separate them a bit because Army’s worst season in 5 years was 5-8 but I guess it’s where we draw the line and if the record is the only criteria for this conclusion, yes Syracuse’s dreaded one-win season last season also plays horribly into the equation.

And yes if you look at Syracuse’s record the last 5 years in comparison, as the guy in Mad Men famously said, “Not great, Bob,” but is overall record the only criteria?

What about strength of schedule? Admittedly Army tends to play a decent schedule (they have Liberty and Wake Forest this season too along with Wisconsin so it’s nothing to mock). But does that compare to Clemson, BC, Louisville and others on the ACC schedule regularly? Nope (although I am always happy when Army beats Navy).

What about the impact Covid-19 and injuries played on Buffalo and Syracuse last season? While Army played through it and I’m sure had issues as well, SU lost their 2 starting RB’s to opting out and had injuries in the secondary involving players now playing in the NFL as well as on the offensive line, which I believe also impacted Tommy DeVito’s season as well.

Virginia Tech Hokies 2021 Football Season Predictions Part 2 (gobblercountry.com; Fahvaag)

The first article was a bit long, so I figured it’d be best to split the season into halves… Okay math geniuses, 7-6 are not quite halves; but the ACC Championship game will be pure speculation and a tiny entry, here. We’ll talk about that when we get to it.

The final six games of the season are possibly the 2nd most annoying in the entire scheduling nightmare for the Hokies. There are 4 away games and two home. The stretch run for the ACC Coastal Division Championship (If we are still in the hunt) will have to be conducted in other teams’ houses. The “regular” season, of course, ends with the traditional Thanksgiving Weekend face off with the Wahoos. This time it’s in Scott Stadium, Hooville.

Syracuse October 23rd TBD on the kick… Home

At least we aren’t playing in the cranky old Carrier Dome, but the old Big East isn’t the new stuff, and ‘Cuse ain’t ‘Cuse… Dino Babers is in trouble, and Syracuse is not doing well. That being said... we are struggling nearly as much as they are so this should be a shoe in, but it won’t be. They have nothing much, and we have better, but guess what? The 2nd half of the season is rarely populated by the personnel that started it. Who knows? But the odds are currently something on the order of a 60-40 in favor of Tech on this one. If ‘Cuse shows signs of life in the first half, that could change, but somehow I really don’t think so. It could be a mess if both programs are in bad shape, by late October, tough.

Georgia Tech October 30th TBD again and in Atlanta

No one can honestly say what Georgia Tech will look like in October. This will be their third season without that Paul Johnson cracked option that Justin Fuente’s Foster defense couldn’t figure out. So, with a more conventional look and feel, the probability for a win should be good, in the 70-30 range, but GT has been upping its recruiting game, and could be an approaching near peer opponent, again. Either way the win-loss odds will remain where they are until we see if the Jackets are any good.

6112da4552f14.image.jpg

Shedro Louis (5-8. 175, Soph., Immokalee High School/Immokalee, Fla.) ran for 170 yards and 2 TDs against Syracuse in 2020

Liberty 2021 football position preview: Running backs (newsadvance.com; Sordelett)

Liberty has maintained a three running back rotation since the 2019 season. It is a philosophy position coach Bruce Johnson uses to ensure his players are fresh during a lengthy 12-game season.

Frankie Hickson was a star in 2019 with his leadership and durability. Joshua Mack, who was in the platoon with Hickson, took a giant step forward in 2020 as the primary tailback, and Shedro Louis showed he has the potential to be a featured part of the offense with his breakout performance against Syracuse.

Peytton Pickett was utilized both seasons, but he elected to transfer to Jackson State. His spot was filled in the transfer portal through Utah transfer T.J. Green, who rocketed his way up the depth chart in the spring and is solidly behind Mack in the pecking order.

WHO’S GONE

» Peytton Pickett (2020 stats: 91 carries, 520 yards, 5.7 average, 6 TD)

DEPTH CHART

1. Joshua Mack (5-11, 200, R-Sr., Maine/Rochester, N.Y.)

2020 stats:
139 carries, 797 yards, 5.7 average, 4 TD; 6 catches, 18 yards, 3.0 average
Mack is one of 16 players who elected to come back for a “super senior” season, and his sixth season in the college ranks gives him another opportunity to be the featured tailback.

The main focus for Mack during the summer and into preseason camp has been making sure his body is in the best possible shape for the 12-game grind.

“Mack’s a super senior and he’s doing well right now,” Johnson said. “The way he has changed himself body-wise with Dom in the weight room and the strength and conditioning staff has done a heck of a job, and so has Danielle. His body’s totally different than what it’s been since Year 1, so kudos to Coach Dom and his staff and Mrs. Danielle. They’ve got a heck of a job with him getting his body right.”
Mack said he’s feeling the best he’s felt since arriving in college. He still is playing around 200 pounds, but he’s dropped body fat and added muscle.

The veteran’s playing time in 2019 diminished early in the campaign after a fumble inside the 5-yard line prevented Liberty from getting points on the board against Syracuse. He missed time last season with an infection in an elbow, but that didn’t stop him from leading all running backs with nearly 800 yards on the ground.

» 2. T.J. Green (6-1, 200, R-Jr., Utah/Chandler, Ariz.)
2019 stats at Utah:
23 carries, 68 yards, 3.0 average, 1 TD

Green opted out of the 2020 season with Utah and entered the transfer portal. He committed to Liberty in early December and enrolled for the spring semester so he could get a start on learning the offense.

He was a quick study. Green rocketed up the depth chart and showcased his speed in the Red, White and Blue Preview with a 70-yard touchdown run to highlight an 81-yard performance.
“If you watched anything T.J. did during the spring, you can see how explosive he is,” Johnson said.

Green’s height, weight and speed give him the ability to see over the line, run through the middle of the line, and plant his foot and accelerate to the second level. It is the big-play potential the Flames haven’t seen in a bigger tailback in years.

» 3. Shedro Louis (5-8. 175, Soph., Immokalee High School/Immokalee, Fla.)
2020 stats:
61 carries, 429 yards, 7.0 average, 3 TD; 5 catches, 48 yards, 9.6 average
Louis is arguably the most explosive tailback in the rotation. The electric kick returner showcased his ability to take over games in the backfield with 170 yards and scores of 75 and 52 yards on only 10 carries in the Flames’ victory at Syracuse.

Other

Century-old former Syracuse bread factory to be turned into apartments (PS; $; Moriarty)

The upper floors of a former industrial bakery building on Syracuse’s Eastside will be turned into apartments as part of a proposed $16 million renovation.

Developers Jason Evans, Matthew Rayo and Randall Hadzor have submitted plans to the city to renovate the former Syracuse Bread Co. building at 200 Maple St. They have a contract to purchase the building from the Greater Syracuse Land Bank for $10,000, according to the documents.

The developers said they plan to put 19 studio and one- and two-bedroom market-rate loft apartments on the building’s upper floors and 27,500 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor. The commercial space will include food and retail tenants and art studios, they said.

A 2,000-square-foot courtyard will be cut into the middle of the building to provide more light and fresh air to the apartments, according to the plans.

IDUMBAKSBVAA5NQRSG7P7RVRB4.jpg

Rendering shows what the former Syracuse Bread Co. building at 200 Maple St. in Syracuse will look like after its $16 million transformation into apartments and commercial space. Developers Jason Evans, Matthew Rayo and Randall Hadzor have submitted plans to the city to redevelop the century-old building.Syracuse Bread Factory LLC

The building will be named Syracuse Bread Factory. Evans, Rayo and Hadzor have created a website for the project, breadfactorysyr.com, and plan to solicit stories, memories and photos from anyone who has ties to the building’s past.

Last edited: