Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Housewife-Day.jpg
Welcome to National Housewife Day!

National Housewife’s Day sets aside November 3rd to recognize the millions of hardworking housewives. The day honors the stay-at-home moms who take care of the children and the home. It’s a 24/7 job that sometimes does not get the thank you that is much deserved.

The term housewife is an old term stemming from the days when most families were supported by one income. The father worked, and the mother stayed home to take care of the house and the children. These days, usually both parents work outside the home. According to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, in 61 % of households with children, both parents work outside the home.

SU News

Syracuse Bowl Projection Roundup (SI; McAllister)

With Syracuse football's 21-6 win over Boston College, the Orange improved to 5-4 on the 2021 season with three games left to play. That puts Syracuse just one win shy of bowl eligibility. When updated bowl projections came out after this past weekend, Syracuse was in many of them. Here is a roundup of where the Orange could be playing along with the respective opponents.

247Sports: First Responder Bowl vs Purdue (December 28th, Dallas, TX)

Action Network: Military Bowl vs Houston (December 27th, Annapolis, MD)

Athlon Sports: Fenway Bowl vs Central Florida (December 29th, Boston, MA)

Bleacher Report: Gasparilla vs Washington (December 23rd, Tampa, FL)

CBS Sports: None

College Football News: Pinstripe Bowl vs Purdue (December 29th, New York City, NY)

College Sports Madness: Gasparilla Bowl vs Missouri (December 23rd, Tampa, FL)

ESPN: Military Bowl vs East Carolina (December 27th, Annapolis, MD)

Pro Football Network: First Responder Bowl vs Iowa State (December 28th, Dallas, TX)

Sporting News: Guaranteed Rate Bowl vs Kansas State (December 28th, Phoenix, AZ)

The Athletic: Military Bowl vs East Carolina (December 27th, Annapolis, MD)

USA TODAY: Pinstripe Bowl vs Minnesota (December 29th, New York City, NY)

Yahoo Sports: Pinstripe Bowl vs Purdue (December 29th, New York City, NY)

It is interesting that CBS is the lone holdout in putting Syracuse in a bowl game. Several of the matchups are intriguing, as are the locations. There are Northeast options like the Pinstripe or Fenway Bowl. Or warmer weather cities such as Tampa, Phoenix and Dallas. Or in between in Annapolis.

Mike McAllister "On The Block" 11-2 (ESPN; radio; Axe)

Syracuse on SI Publisher, Mike McAllister joins the show to talk about Syracuse football’s highest rated recruit decommitting and much more!

Exit 31 11-02 (ESPN; radio; Rain & Spencer)

On today’s James Mitsubishi Exit 31 Podcast, Rain and Spencer talk to Tommy Sladek from CNY Central, Former SU/NFL WR Rob Carpenter, ESPN’s Jason Fitz and Mike Curtis from syracuse dot com, plus more!

Syracuse Football: 5th win for Dino Babers solidifies him moving forward (itlh; Abramo)

I entered this Syracuse football season convinced that anything less than a 5-7 season would leave me truly questioning whether the current coaching staff was, ultimately, the best fit for the Orange program. We’ve seen lots of 4-win (or less) seasons. I needed to see 5.

That was my benchmark.

Sure, a 5-7 record now, as the program sits at 5-4, would mean a 3-game slide and feel like a gut punch, and in the end, I absolutely hope and expect for the team to win a 6th game (and a 7th?) and find itself Bowl eligible. But even if it doesn’t, I will not move the goalposts. I said 5. We are there. Indeed, head coach Dino Babers and this coaching staff led this team to 5 wins, and I will stand by my pre-season position.

I fully support Syracuse football boss Dino Babers remaining the coach moving forward.

Now, important note here — I never have and never would call for his dismissal. I’ve said before, and I will again — I’m a grown man with kids, and he is too. That’s not how I roll. But I would have been somewhat dubious as to his future if Syracuse football finished up this season with yet another 4-8 or worse record. And I would have expected to see some serious discussions about the future of the program in that situation.

I am thrilled that this isn’t the case.

That’s not to say I won’t absolutely continue to criticize, both here and on the Twittersphere, what often feels like avoidable mistakes around clock management and play calling when criticism is warranted. Dino and the coaching staff still are below par in these areas, and that fact cannot be pretended away by excitement over the season to date. Similarly, we can’t just ignore the fact that the team continues to lag badly in recruiting, mired in the 50’s or higher nationally. It’s something that needs to improve.

The decision to switch from Tommy DeVito to Garrett Shrader was gutsy and brave and I respect the heck out of Dino for making it.

When Dino Babers made the decision to switch from Tommy DeVito to Garrett Shrader at quarterback, it was shocking to me. But in hindsight, that was probably because all that I was seeing of the two players were in their short stints in games. The coaching staff was seeing so much more in practice. That decision was gutsy and it was brave and I respect the heck out of him for making it. But a decision as bold as this is a big reason why some of the brutally conservative play-calling from earlier in the season was just so darn frustrating. I think in this case, however, Dino had 34 big reasons to make the switch.

51b09b98-74a5-4d6f-b39f-0157901cf06f-medium16x9_imagejpeg_0233.jpg

Syracuse marching band seen wearing masks with holes cut in them during the Sat., Oct. 30, 2021 game versus Boston College in Syracuse, N.Y. (SBG)

Syracuse marching band seen wearing masks with holes during football game (cnycentral.com)

Trumpet players from Syracuse University’s marching band could be seen wearing masks with holes cut in them during the school's home football game Saturday at the Carrier Dome. The aim appeared to be to allow the band members to wear masks while simultaneously playing instruments that require them to inhale and exhale.

“The mask is useless in this circumstance,” Dr. Monica Gandhi, an infection disease doctor at the University of California San Francisco, told The National Desk. “Blowing in and blowing out through this mask does nothing.”

c9ae6024-d980-405b-94e1-d0afdea57f1d-medium16x9_imagejpeg_156.jpg

Syracuse marching band seen wearing masks with holes cut in them during the Sat., Oct. 30, 2021 game versus Boston College in Syracuse, N.Y. (SBG)

Gandhi said the best way to ensure safety at an indoor football game is to focus on building ventilation and implementing other common-sense mitigation strategies. Wearing masks with holes cut in them for people to breathe through does not fit into that category of common sense, she suggested to TND.

This is just silly, there’s no other word for it,” Gandhi said, “by definition, there’s no point of the mask, you’re using your respiratory tract when you’re going in and out.

Gandhi calls it “amazing” that some universities promised students a return to normalcy in exchange for getting vaccinated, yet such a return still hasn't come to fruition. She said it is “the least we can do,” considering high vaccination rates across the country paired with the fact that young students face a lower risk of infection.

Louisville's latest dual-threat QB is 'Lamar-esque' (theclemsoninsider.com; Potter)

Clemson’s task of trying to slow down a dual-threat quarterback will continue this week when the Tigers head to Louisville, where the Cardinals have a signal caller that’s drawing comparisons to one of their former Heisman Trophy winners.

Malik Cunningham is the latest quarterback to come through Derby City that can do damage with both his arms and his legs. He’s has already accounted for 2,164 yards of offense through eight games, including 480 on the ground. That’s run his career rushing total to 2,068 yards, making him one of two Louisville quarterbacks to ever run for 2,000 career yards.

The other? Lamar Jackson, who accounted for 457 yards and three scores when he faced Clemson in 2016 — the same season in which Jackson won college football’s most coveted individual award.

“If you look statistically, there’s some similarities between those two guys for sure,” Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said. “He’s definitely Lamar-esque for sure. He keeps you up at night. He can really create and turn a bad play into a good play.”

Cunningham has already rushed for 13 touchdowns this season, tied for tops in the ACC. But he’s far from a one-tricky pony. He’s completed nearly 64% of his passes this season for 1,684 yards and eight scores. He’s thrown for more than 6,800 yards and 51 touchdowns in his career and is the only Louisville quarterback to ever throw four touchdown passes of at least 75 yards.

Swinney compared the 6-foot-1, 200-pounder’s skill set to a blend of what Clemson has already seen out of Syracuse’s Garrett Shrader and Florida State’s Jordan Travis. At 6-4 and 230 pounds, Shrader, the ACC’s sixth-leading rusher, is a bigger-bodied quarterback that has the power to match his long-strided speed. Meanwhile, Travis is a quicker, more slippery signal caller that can be harder for defenses to get their hands on.

“Similar to Shrader, but he’s more elusive than Shrader,” Swinney said. “Maybe not quite as elusive as Travis, but he’s kind of in between there. He’s dangerous.”

CFP Top 25 for 2021-11-02 (RX; HM)

CFP Top 25 for 2021-11-02

The first College Football Playoffs ranking is out, and there are some surprises! Not one, not even two, but three ACC teams made the CFP Top 25. Wake Forest came in one spot ahead of Notre Dame, but both schools made the Top 10. However, if we dig just a little deeper, we find even more surprises...

CFP Rankings
RKTEAM
1Georgia
2Alabama
3Michigan St
4Oregon
5Ohio State
6Cincinnati
7Michigan
8Oklahoma
9Wake Forest
10Notre Dame
11Oklahoma St
12Baylor
13Auburn
14Texas A&M
15BYU
16Ole Miss
17Miss. State
18Kentucky
19NC State
20Minnesota
21Wisconsin
22Iowa
23Fresno St
24San Diego St
25Pittsburgh

Tweets 2021-11-03 (RX; HM)

Tweets 2021-11-03

First, let's talk ACC QBs:
There are 10 P5 QBs w/2100 yards and 21 TDs.

SIX of them play in the ACC.

Kenny Pickett
Malik Cunningham
Sam Hartman
Brennan Armstrong
Sam Howell
Devin Leary

Others:
Stroud
B Young
A Martinez
Corral

Garrett Shrader (1789/20) prob on the list too if he started from Wk 1.
— ️♈️ (@ADavidHaleJoint) November 2, 2021

CFP Expansion: What's In It for them? (RX; HM)

CFP Expansion: What's In It for them?

What is going on with the CFP expansion proposal (12 teams formatted as top 6 conference champs plus top 6 remaining at-large teams) versus the counter-proposal (8 teams with 5 spots reserved for the P5 champs plus 3 at-large teams)? Is there a path to compromise through this impasse?

There are several special interests at work here: ESPN, the SEC, the ACC, Notre Dame, the Big Ten, the Pac-12, and the other FBS conferences. (I've lumped the Big XII in with the G5 conferences for the sake of this analysis). We can make some basic assumptions about the motivations of these entities:

• The G5 want better access to the playoffs, since they've had none so far
  • The Pac-12 wants a guarantee for their conference champ to get a bid
  • The ACC wants insurance that its champ will get into the playoffs, too
  • The Big Ten wants to slow the rate of change in college football.
  • The Big Ten champion has also been passed over more than once.
  • The SEC wants an opportunity for more than just its champ to get in.
  • All FBS conferences would like more money from ESPN, etc.
  • ESPN wants the best possible TV ratings for the playoffs.
  • Notre Dame wants to retain access to the CFP while remaining independent.
The current model has zero spots guaranteed; all four openings are at-large bids. Any changes should therefore be compared to the status quo. Now, I recognize that the ACC, Pac-12, Big XII, and probably the Big Ten all would like a guarantee that their conference champ will get into the College Football Playoffs. The G5 conferences would like at least one spot set aside for them as well. On the other hand, the SEC and Notre Dame would likely be against anything that reduces access via the at-large route.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/article255200556.html (newsobserver.com; Pomeranz)

A few weeks ago, and for a fleeting moment, just a few seconds after N.C. State’s football overtime defeat of Clemson in late September and as North Carolina took the field in Atlanta to do unsuccessful battle with Georgia Tech, there was a possibility the Wolfpack and the Tar Heels could meet twice this fall.

Once on Thanksgiving Friday in the Wolfpack’s Carter-Finley Stadium, and the second time the next weekend in the Atlantic Coast Conference’s football title game in Charlotte.

It was possible then, and still is — but not probable, at least not now unless UNC gets a lot of help from other Coastal division teams. And the Wolfpack needs to win out.

ACC football divisional make-up and scheduling would make a replay possible. If State and Carolina entered their regular-season finale with locks on division titles, one or the other could lose that game and still get to the title game and the other could do the same. Lots of ifs and buts.

When the ACC’s two seven-team divisions — Atlantic and Coastal — were created, Florida State and Miami were put in different divisions, suggesting the two then-most-powerful-teams of the league would play for many ACC titles under the glare of national prominence. All they would have to do is win as usual.

That hasn’t happened.

In 16 years, the Seminoles and the Hurricanes have never met in the championship game. Florida State made it five times and Miami just once, but never against each other. Florida State and Miami just aren’t what they used to be when it comes to competing in the ACC. One day some sort of normalcy might return, but “one day” might be years away.

This year, before the season began, the possibility of two teams meeting in the ACC title game after playing the last game of each team’s regular season applied to N.C. State (Atlantic) vs. North Carolina (Coastal) and Syracuse (Atlantic) vs. Pittsburgh (Coastal).

Thanksgiving weekend games between teams in different ACC divisions don’t have to happen. Season-ending league games for 10 ACC teams could be between teams in the same division, or, with respect to Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, and Louisville, against non-conference traditional in-state rivalries.

To get there would require a simple change in divisional alignment if the ACC and the two schools want the State-Carolina game played on the last weekend of the season. Just move N.C. State to the Coastal and Duke to the Atlantic. And arrange the schedule starting with the last week of games.

Other

New Syracuse mural in Armory Square is tailor-made for Instagram (PS; Tulloch)

It’s hard to miss Ally Walker’s new artwork in Armory Square.

The vibrant mural will cover the west wall of the four-story office at 327 W. Fayette St. The building, owned by Mike Flynn, is one of the first things people see as they drive downtown from the West Side.

Flynn, owner of The Roofing Guys in Syracuse, commissioned Walker’s mural for his building, facing Mill Pond Landing. (That’s where “Walt, the Loch West Monster” lives.) He wants the artwork to promote foot traffic and offer interactive photo opportunities for Armory Square visitors.

This fall, Walker will complete the mural’s first phase: 16 Instagram-worthy panels at the ground level. Each scene celebrates Syracuse art, music, nature, sports or history.

DJNII5K3SZDWDC6RXSNTTFEEH4.JPG

Artist Ally Walker created these rainbow paint cans as part of her mural at Mill Pond Landing at 327 West Fayette St. (Katrina Tulloch)

The panels are tailor-made for social media photo opps. One is a butterfly. Another is a heart. One is a typewriter, a nod to Syracuse’s history as the “typewriter capital of the world.”

“We came up with these great ideas that are family-oriented, positive and really fun,” said Walker. “I’m trying to get everything up on the wall before the winter starts.”

Walker will tackle the mural’s second phase next spring. She’ll paint several Syracuse landmarks, floating hot air balloons and sunny skies, filling the entire wall up to the roofline.

Walker has made a career out of interactive art for families. She’s the same artist who painted 50+ murals inside Upstate Golisano Children’s Hospital and created a socially-distant Easter egg hunt during the first Covid-19 shutdown. She previously created a small, but eye-catching mural on this same building titled ‘Put the U back in Syracuse” in 2020.

Flynn commissioned the mural for $30,000. He also owns 219 Walton St., the former Urban Outfitters store across the street from Mill Pond Landing.

There, Flynn will open Flynnstoned Cannabis Company, a three-floor cannabis dispensary and lounge. He plans to hire 35-40 employees and open the dispensary in summer 2022.

I feel like putting Syracuse in the Pinstripe Bowl is a safe option. You have enough fans and alumni in the Big Apple to insure ticket sales, and the Orange generally play well there. I don't like Purdue as an opponent, though - boring! If it's going to be a Big Ten team, let's swing for the fences: Penn State.