Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
halloween.jpg

Welcome to Halloween!

Halloween is a holiday that is rooted in, and was influenced by, both pagan and Christian traditions. On one hand there are the influences of Celtic harvest festivals, such as the Gaelic festival Samhain, and on the other hand Halloween stems from All Hallows' Eve, which is the night before the Christian holiday of All Hallows' Day—or All Saints Day. Halloween traditions were culled from these influences, and from varied traditions that different countries celebrated. The amalgamation of these influences helped to create what we now know as Halloween in the United States.

SU News

Syracuse University running back Sean Tucker bolts for a first down midway through the third quarter of the home loss to Notre Dame on Saturday, Oct. 29 from the JMA Wireless Dome in Syracuse, N.Y.

No. 22 Syracuse Football Disintegrates in 41-24 Loss to Notre Dame (waer.org; Cook)

A tight stranglehold on the Syracuse passing game helped Notre Dame to a 41-24 victory on Saturday from the JMA Wireless Dome.

S.U. quarterback Garrett Shrader marked his worst performance of the season in terms of passing yards, passing touchdowns, and playing time. The Mississippi State-transfer hit just five of 14 targets for a measly 35 yards, leading to his assignment to the bench for the entirety of the second half.

Adding an interception into the mix, Shrader’s completion percentage of just 35.7 tied his lowest mark in orange (5-14 on October 30, 2021 in a 21-6 win over Boston College). The South Carolina-native’s career-worst came as a freshman at Mississippi State when he completed four of 12 passes (33.3%) in a 31-24 home loss to Kansas State on September 14, 2019.

After Shrader’s trip to the bench, redshirt freshman Carlos Del Rio-Wilson stepped in as field general. Syracuse head coach Dino Babers said that he prefers to keep one man under center throughout the game, but desperate times call for desperate measures. He said, “[Shrader] just didn’t have all the tools in his toolbox; I just didn’t think it was fair to have him out there with all those archers that were trying to get him in their sights.”

Axe: How are SU fans feeling during a two-game losing streak? (Mailbag) (PS; $; Axe)

The mailbag is overflowing again with questions, predictions, frustrations and pep talks on the Syracuse football front.

I have one of my own before we begin.

Syracuse is 6-2. N.C. State is 6-2.

Syracuse defeated N.C. State this season, yet the Wolfpack is ranked No.21 in this week’s Associated Press Top 25 and Syracuse is No.22.

So here’s my question to AP voters. Ummm ... what?

Anyway, Axe me a few questions, I’ll tell you no lies.

To your emails!

Have one of your own you’d like to shoot my way? baxe@syracuse.com is how you do it.

Hi Brent,

I was wondering what day of the week I can expect to see your column apologizing to the 1987 team?

And is there anyone who works with you who also is getting the feeling that SU is not telling everything about Tucker?

He seems to have gone from a possible Heisman contender to an afterthought.

And is this the future of SU football - two winning seasons out of seven? I believe this is how it will be forever under Babers - hoping for a 6-6 record and small bowl. You are NEVER going to make the upper echelon with the kind of recruiting he has done for seven years.

I guess it could be worse - how would you like to be the BC coach today explaining losing to UConn?

Tony DiNardo

Ah, my friend Tony. We have had a good email exchange going throughout the football season. That could be a whole different column itself.

Hopefully Tucker got back on track this week with 60 yards on the ground with a touchdown and another 32 in the air, though he was not pleased with his performance.

OFD Podcast: We are PLEASED with Notre Dame’s win over Syracuse (onefootdown; podcast; Vowles)

Joshua, Jude, and Brendan have happily gathered here today to talk about Notre Dame’s 41-24 win over the Syracuse Orange. In this episode:
  • HELLO!
  • A red hot tip for Jude that Joshua is bullish about.
  • Jude’s very big day at the game.
  • Pregaming the right way.
  • Stoned neighbors and fantasy football rosters.
  • Chanting at the urinal.
  • REVIEW!
  • We made a mistake.
  • Brandon Joseph put his stamp on the game right away.
  • The physical pounding the Irish handed out from the very start of the game was borderline erotic.
  • Garrett Shrader’s health never seemed great, and the Irish made him and the Orange pay.
  • Audric Estime was dominant, and a changed man.
  • Drew Pyne didn’t have a great day, but at least we saw more from Deion Colzie.

Players Of The Game From The Notre Dame Win Over Syracuse (SI; Driskell)

Notre Dame (5-3) had its best all-around team victory of the season when it went on the road and blasted Syracuse by a 41-24 score. The Orange came into the matchup ranked 16th in the country, but the Irish were clearly the better team yesterday.

The nature of the all-around victory has led me to decide to hand out game balls in a different fashion. Normally I pick one player on each side of the ball, but there were two units that deserve the game balls, and for different reasons.

Let's talk players of the for the Irish from the win over Syracuse.

OFFENSE - Offensive Line

Stats: 246 rushing yards, 3 rushing touchdowns, 1 allowed sack
Runners Up: RB Audric Estime, RB Logan Diggs

I could have easily gone with Estime, who racked up 123 yards (6.2 YPC) and two touchdowns, or even Logan Diggs, who racked up 85 yards of his own and was the run game standout in the first half.

But the common theme in this game is that no matter who lined up at running back, or behind the center, the offensive line stole the show. Despite facing loaded boxes for the entire game, the Irish offensive line pushed Syracuse around all game and controlled the action.

Five Takeaways: Notre Dame 41 Syracuse 24 (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football lost its first home game of the season and second straight overall on Saturday when Notre Dame knocked off the Orange 41-24. Here are five takeaways from the loss.

1. Garrett Shrader

Shrader did not look like himself from the start. It was not the pick six as much as his hesitation or unwillingness to run with the football. That is one of his biggest weapons, and he had multiple opportunities where he chose not to use it. Head coach Dino Babers indicated Shrader was hurt coming into the game. In hindsight, he probably should not have started. It really hampered the offense in the first half.

2. Carlos Del Rio-Wilson

By the time Del Rio-Wilson was inserted into the game, Syracuse was in a two touchdown hole. Still, he had some strong moments. His play sparked the offense and got the Orange back in it after some stops by the defense. Right as Syracuse had all of the momentum, he had a pass tipped and intercepted. That seemed to take the wind out of the Orange's sails and give momentum back to the Notre Dame sideline. Still, Del Rio-Wilson showed enough to have Syracuse fans excited about the future. He can really, really sling it and has tremendous arm strength. He also showed great anticipation on a few throws as well. That said, for the rest of this season, there should not be a quarterback controversy. If Shrader is healthy he is the guy. If he is not, however, you can absolutely win with Del Rio-Wilson.

What Syracuse coach Dino Babers said about Notre Dame football after Irish win (on3.com; Horka)

Syracuse head coach Dino Babers wasn’t necessarily surprised by the way Notre Dame went about its 41-24 victory over his No. 16 Orange on Saturday. He expected it to a degree.

“The game went the way I thought the game would go,” Babers said. “If I was them, that’s the way I would play the game. My hat goes off to coach [Marcus] Freeman and Notre Dame. They played it the way I thought they would play it, and they had success.”

Here’s everything else Babers said about Notre Dame after the game.

On the Notre Dame running game

“They kept putting that ball in there. Unless you’re going to match scores with them on offense or get out in front of them so they can’t play that style, that’s exactly the style they should have played. They have seven offensive linemen. They have four tight ends. They just turned around and kept handing the ball to those three different backs.”

College football: Del Rio-Wilson comes in relief of Shrader, delivers some key passes (yahoo.com; St Croix)

Carlos Del Rio-Wilson surprisingly received his first test as the Syracuse University football quarterback Saturday and was graded by head coach Dino Babers with a "C" afterward.

Del Rio-Wilson entered at halftime for No. 16 Syracuse in a 41-24 loss to FBS independent Notre Dame in the JMA Wireless Dome due to undisclosed injury concerns with starter Garrett Shrader.

The redshirt freshman in his first season since transferring from Florida completed 11 of 22 passes for 190 yards to go with a touchdown and an interception. He engineered consecutive scoring drives to close the third quarter in a comeback bid during the first extended action of his career.

"I feel like I did pretty good, but I could have done a lot better, I wanted to win," Del Rio-Wilson said afterward.

Babers did not provide a status update on Shrader moving forward but confirmed the quarterback did not suffer a head injury and was pulled due to concerns regarding a pre-existing condition.

Del Rio-Wilson did not shed light on his knowledge of Shrader's injury coming into the game but said he was told to be ready by an offensive assistant coach when he got to the locker room at halftime.

"I prepared physically and mentally the whole week, so when he told me I need to be ready to go, I just went out there and handled business," Del Rio-Wilson said.

"Every week I feel like in practice I need to put in enough effort, whether he's hurt or not, so the whole week in practice I was focused like I usually am," he added.

Del Rio-Wilson entered for his first drive backed up at the SU five-yard line and oversaw a three-and-out series before settling in for the Orange (6-2 overall, 3-1 ACC).

He connected with Oronde Gadsden II for a 30-yard pass on the next possession for the longest play of the game for the SU offense to that point. Syracuse trailed 21-7 at the break with just 78 yards of offense.

The 6-foot-2, 232-pound dual threat showed his plus arm strength on several throws and connected with D'Marcus Adams for a 13-yard touchdown pass to cut the Notre Dame advantage to 38-24 with five minutes and 44 seconds left.

DeVito tosses 2 TDs as Illinois wins again (how Syracuse football transfers fared) (PS; Owens)

Former Syracuse football quarterback Tommy DeVito tossed two touchdown passes on Saturday to help lift Illinois to its sixth consecutive win, beating Nebraska 26-9.

DeVito was 20-of-22 passing for 179 yards and added 37 yards rushing on six carries. DeVito found Isaiah Williams for a 46-yard touchdown in the first quarter to open the scoring, and connected with Chase Brown on a 12-yard score just before halftime.

The Illini are 4-1 in the Big Ten and 7-1 overall, and moved up three spots to No. 14 in the Associated Press Top 25 poll released on Sunday.

Here’s a look at how some other transfers from Syracuse University fared this weekend:

Luke Benson, tight end, Georgia Tech: Benson caught one pass for 11 yards as Georgia Tech lost to Florida State 41-16.
Geoff Cantin-Arku, linebacker, Memphis: Bye week.
Curtis Harper, defensive line, Akron: Harper had two tackles, one solo, and a sack but Akron lost to Miami of Ohio, 27-9.
Jarveon Howard, running back, Alcorn State: Howard rushed 22 times for 72 yards and caught one pass for five yards in Alcorn State’s 35-6 loss at Grambling.
Jawhar Jordan, running back, Louisville: Jordan rushed nine times for 45 yards, caught one pass for 15 yards and returned two kickoffs for 21 yards in Louisville’s 48-21 win over then-No. 10 Wake Forest.
Lee Kpogba, linebacker, West Virginia: Kpogba had a team-leading seven tackles as well as a quarterback hurry, but West Virginia lost to unbeaten TCU 41-31.
Cooper Lutz, running back, Vanderbilt: Bye week.

flail-678x381.jpg

Courtesy: Joey Flail

2024 ATH Joey Flail on Syracuse visit: 'I loved it there' - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

2024 ATH Joey Flail said he ‘loved’ his visit to Syracuse for the Orange’s game against Notre Dame over the weekend, he said in an interview with The Juice Online.

“I loved it there,” Flail said. “It was definitely the most energizing atmosphere I’ve ever experienced.”

Syracuse ended up losing to the Fighting Irish, 41-24, dropping them to 6-2 on the season, and to No. 22 in the rankings. But the wide receiver/defensive back was paying attention to how SU played, even when it was down.

Had an amazing time at @CuseFootball yesterday! Thanks to all the coaches and staff for the opportunity! @aaron53bolinsky @DL_theHUNT @PRZPAvic @PaFootballNews @Commit2Cuse @SyracuseOn247 pic.twitter.com/vjxvqcDMoq
— Joey Flail (@J_Flail32) October 30, 2022

“The play like a family,” he said. “They don’t give up.”

That led to an overall great experience for him.

“The game was very good,” said Flail, who has also drawn interest from Penn State. “You never knew what was gonna happen next. I enjoyed it a lot.”

Flail has also enjoyed his own season with North Schuylkill (PA) High. The Spartans notched their eighth win of the regular season with a 42-13 rout over Pottsville.

» Related: 2024 DB Donovan Philord enjoys visit, calls Syracuse a ‘favorite’

Flail finished the game with three receptions for 69 yards and two touchdowns, which gave him 28 for his career, making him the program’s all-time leader. It is one of three receiving records he now holds.

He also added an interception on defense for good measure.

“The season is going very good personally,” Flail said. “We are currently 8-2 and headed to the playoffs!”

Quick Hits: Syracuse gets boost from backup quarterback - The Juice Online (the juice; Stechschulte)

Syracuse was defeated by Notre Dame, 41-24, on Saturday afternoon. Here are some quick hits from the game.

If you are looking for a statistical indicator to indicate how the Syracuse defense is playing and if the team is likely to win, try tackle for loss percentage. Simply put, it is the percentage of opponent offensive plays where the Orange make a tackle for a loss of yardage. Here is the percentage in each game this season for the Orange defense:

• Louisville – 13.0 percent
  • Connecticut – 17.4 percent
  • Purdue – 3.9 percent
  • Virginia – 9.0 percent
  • Wagner – 23.7 percent
  • North Carolina State – 10.1 percent
  • Clemson – 4.7 percent
  • Notre Dame – 4.0 percent
  • The three games with the lowest tackle for loss percentage (Purdue, Clemson, and Notre Dame) are also the three games where the Orange have given up the most points, allowing at least 27 against each foe and losing the last two. In the other five games, SU is 5-0, allowing 20 points or less in each outing.

College Football Bowl Projections for 2022-23 (athlonsports.com; Lassan)

The 2022-23 bowl schedule features 42 overall games, and Athlon Sports is here with complete projections and predictions for all of the matchups. With nine weeks of the season in the books, it’s never too early to take a peek at what the bowl games could look like at its conclusion.

The postseason officially begins on Dec. 16 with two matchups and continues until Jan. 9 with the national championship at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California. The semifinals for the College Football Playoff take place on Dec. 31 this year, with the Peach Bowl and Fiesta Bowl hosting the matchups.

The actual selection process is more complicated than in previous years, and as usual, some trading of teams to fill spots is likely to happen by December. However, nearly all of the necessary information regarding the 2022-23 bowl schedule has been released. Projections will be updated every week during the year. After Week 9, Rutgers, Missouri, Ball State, Georgia State, Old Dominion, Michigan State, FAU, UConn, Tulsa, UNLV, Iowa State, Western Michigan, Miami (Ohio), Marshall, and Rice just missed our bowl predictions.

How will the postseason matchups look by December? Below are Athlon Sports' predictions for every bowl and playoff game in 2022 after Week 9:

College Football Bowl Projections for 2022-23

Bahamas Bowl (Dec. 16)

Tie-In: Conference USA vs. MAC

Projection: FIU vs. Eastern Michigan

Cure Bowl (Dec. 16)

Tie-In: AAC/C-USA/MAC/MW/Sun Belt

Projection: WKU vs. Liberty

Fenway Bowl (Dec. 17)

Tie-In: ACC vs. American

Projection: Miami vs. Houston

New Mexico (Dec. 17)

Tie-In: American/C-USA vs. Mountain West

Projection: Wyoming vs. North Texas

LA Bowl (Dec. 17)

Tie-In: Mountain West vs. Pac-12

Projection: Washington State vs. Boise State

LendingTree Bowl (Dec. 17)

Tie-In: MAC/C-USA vs. Sun Belt

Projection: Ohio vs. Louisiana

Las Vegas Bowl (Dec. 17)

Tie-In: Pac-12 vs. SEC

Projection: Utah vs. Mississippi State

Frisco Bowl (Dec. 17)

Tie-In: AAC/C-USA/MAC/MW/Sun Belt

Projection: SMU vs. UTEP

Myrtle Beach Bowl (Dec. 19)

Tie-In: AAC/C-USA/MAC/Sun Belt

Projection: Middle Tennessee vs. Georgia Southern

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (Dec. 20)

Tie-In: MAC vs. Mountain West

Projection: Buffalo vs. San Jose State

Boca Raton Bowl (Dec. 20)

Tie-In: AAC/C-USA/MAC/Sun Belt

Projection: Coastal Carolina vs. UCF

New Orleans Bowl (Dec. 21)

Tie-In: C-USA vs. Sun Belt

Projection: UTSA vs. Troy

Armed Forces Bowl (Dec. 22)

Tie-In: Big 12/C-USA/AAC

Projection: Texas Tech vs. BYU

Independence Bowl (Dec. 23)

Tie-In: AAC vs. Army

Projection: Army vs. Southern Miss

Gasparilla Bowl (Dec. 23)

Tie-In: ACC/AAC/SEC

Projection: Memphis vs. Appalachian State

Hawaii Bowl (Dec. 24)

Tie-In: AAC/C-USA/BYU vs. Mountain West

Projection: Air Force vs. UAB

Quick Lane Bowl (Dec. 26)

Tie-In: Big Ten vs. MAC

Projection: Iowa vs. Toledo

Camellia Bowl (Dec. 27)

Tie-In: MAC vs. Sun Belt

Projection: Kent State vs. South Alabama

First Responder Bowl (Dec. 27)

Tie-In: Big 12/AAC/C-USA/Sun Belt/Mountain West

Projection: Fresno State vs. Kansas

Birmingham Bowl (Dec. 27)

Tie-In: AAC/ACC/C-USA vs. SEC

Projection: Texas A&M vs. Cincinnati

Guaranteed Rate Bowl (Dec. 27)

Tie-In: Big 12 vs. Big Ten

Projection: Wisconsin vs. Oklahoma

Military Bowl (Dec. 28)

Tie-In: ACC vs. American

Projection: Pitt vs. East Carolina

Liberty Bowl (Dec. 28)

Tie-In: Big 12 vs. SEC

Projection: Baylor vs. South Carolina

Holiday Bowl (Dec. 28)

Tie-In: ACC vs. Pac-12

Projection: Florida State vs. Washington

Texas Bowl (Dec. 28)

Tie-In: Big 12 vs. SEC

Projection: Oklahoma State vs. Arkansas

Pinstripe Bowl (Dec. 29)

Tie-In: ACC vs. Big Ten

Projection: Duke vs. Minnesota

Cheez-It Bowl (Dec. 29)

Tie-In: ACC/Notre Dame vs. Big 12

Projection: Kansas State vs. North Carolina

Alamo Bowl (Dec. 29)

Tie-In: Big 12 vs. Pac-12

Projection: Texas vs. UCLA

Duke's Mayo Bowl (Dec. 30)

Tie-In: ACC vs. Big Ten

Projection: Purdue vs. NC State

Sun Bowl (Dec. 30)

Tie-In: ACC vs. Pac-12

Projection: Louisville vs. Oregon State

Gator Bowl (Dec. 30)

Tie-In: ACC vs. SEC

Projection: Notre Dame vs. Kentucky

Arizona Bowl (Dec. 30)

Tie-In: MAC vs. Mountain West

Projection: Bowling Green vs. San Diego State

Music City Bowl (Dec. 31)

Tie-In: Big Ten vs. SEC

Projection: Maryland vs. Florida

Reliaquest Bowl (Jan. 2)

Tie-In: Big Ten/ACC vs. SEC

Projection: Ole Miss vs. Syracuse

ACC News

Tar Heels have potential to clinch ACC Coastal Division with win next week (usatoday.com; Lasley)

After a 42-24 win over Pitt on Saturday, the UNC football program has a scenario in which it can clinch the ACC Coastal Division next week, with still three weeks left.

The Tar Heels, sitting at 7-1 on the season, are 4-0 in the division and lead the Coastal by two games over Duke and Miami — both opponents that UNC defeated earlier this year.

The scenario for UNC to clinch would take a lot but the potential is there. If North Carolina beats Virginia there are three other results that are needed in order to wrap things up.

#UNC can clinch – yes, clinch – the Coastal Division next weekend. It would require:
-UNC beating Virginia
-Duke losing at BC
-Georgia Tech losing at Virginia Tech
-Miami losing at home vs. Florida State
— Michael Koh (@michaelkohwchl) October 30, 2022

The one result that seems most unlikely out of that group is the potential of Duke losing to Boston College. The Eagles sit at just 1-4 in the ACC and 2-6 overall.

The Tar Heels remaining schedule after the Virginia game is at Wake Forest, at home against Georgia Tech and then on the road against NC State.

North Carolina is now ranked No. 17 in the AP Top 25 after its win on Saturday.

Week 10 ACC Power Rankings (SI; Thayer & Odakijan)

1. Clemson Tigers (8-0)

Last Week: 1

Game Result: BYE

Coming off the bye week, Clemson is set to learn their ranking in the first College Football Playoff release on Tuesday. What occurred around the ACC on Saturday certainly hurt their standing. The Tigers’ wins over Wake Forest and Syracuse both became less valuable when the Deacs and Orange lost in embarrassing fashion. The story of this team right now is the quarterback situation; DJ Uiagalelei was benched in the comeback victory over Syracuse on Oct. 22 for freshman Cade Klubnik. Even though he only threw for 19 yards in relief, the young signal caller led the team to victory. The Tigers are clearly the top team in the ACC, but Dabo Swinney has a big decision to make.

Up Next: at Notre Dame (5-3), Saturday, 7:30 ET, NBC

Opening Line: Clemson -3.5

2. North Carolina Tar Heels (7-1)

Last Week: 4

Game Result: 42-24 win over Pittsburgh

The Tar Heels’ offense was spectacular once again in the win over Pitt, amassing 474 yards. Quarterback Drake Maye led the way with five touchdown passes and 388 passing yards and wide receivers Antoine Green and Josh Downs combined for 282 yards and four touchdowns. The defense is by no means a strength of this team, but they did enough to let Maye and the potent offense lead the team to victory. The Tar Heels have the 7th highest scoring offense in the nation, averaging 41.8 points per game.

Up Next: at UVA (3-5), Saturday, Noon ET, ACCN

Opening Line: UNC -10

3. Syracuse Orange (6-2)

Last Week: 3

Game Result: 41-24 loss to Notre Dame

Syracuse has now lost back to back games. The Orange were on their back foot immediately in this one after Garrett Shrader threw a pick six on the first play of the game. The defense struggled mightily against the run; Notre Dame ran for 246 yards as a team. Shrader left the game due to injury and didn’t play in the second half. Backup Carlos Del-Rio Wilson wasn’t able to turn the tide in relief, completing 11 of 20 passes for 196 yards and an interception. With Shrader’s injury status in doubt, Syracuse opens as an underdog in their matchup against Pitt.

Up Next: at Pitt (4-4), Saturday, 3:30 ET, ACCN

Opening Line: Pitt -3.5

4. Louisville Cardinals (5-3)

Last Week: 8

Game Result: 48-21 win over Wake Forest

The Cardinals looked fantastic on Saturday, thoroughly outplaying a top 10 opponent. The Louisville defense dominated Wake Forest up front with their pass rush, registering eight sacks and 11 tackles for loss. The Cardinals forced eight turnovers, two of which were third quarter pick-sixes, part of a 35-0 third quarter explosion. QB Malik Cunningham ran for two scores and took care of the football. Louisville is looking dangerous, and will look to win their fourth straight game against a James Madison team that was No. 25 in the AP Poll a few weeks back.

Up Next: vs. James Madison (5-3), Saturday, 7:30 ET, ESPNU

Opening Line: Louisville -9

5. Wake Forest Demon Deacons (6-2)

Matt's TV Guesses for 2022 Week 11 (RX; HM)

Matt's TV Guesses for 2022 Week 11

Here are Matt's ACC FB TV Guesses for 2022 Week 11 (11/8/22 - 11/12/22), with the major network games in large font:

Saturday 11/12

Early

12 pm ABC: Notre Dame vs. Navy
12 pm ACCN: Boston College at NC State
12 pm ACC RSNs: Miami (FL) at Georgia Tech

Mid-Day

3:30 pm ABC: Louisville at Clemson
3:30 pm ACCN: Pitt at Virginia
3:30 pm ACC RSNs: Virginia Tech at Duke

Prime Time

7:00 pm ESPN2: North Carolina at Wake Forest
8:00 pm ACCN: Florida State at Syracuse

AP Analysis 2022 Oct 30th (RX; HM)

AP Analysis 2022 Oct 30th

Another week, another AP poll to analyze (if, indeed, anyone can make sense of it!)
AP Top 25
RKTeamChange
1Georgia-
2Tennesseeup1
3Ohio State-
4Michigan-
5Clemson-
6Alabama-
7TCU-
8Oregon-
9USCup1
10UCLAup2
11Ole Missup4
12Utahup2
13Kansas Stateup9
14Illinoisup3
15LSUup3
16Penn Statedn3
17North Carolinaup4
18Oklahoma Statedn9
19Tulaneup4
20Wake Forestdn10
21NC Stateup3
22Syracusedn6
23Libertyup4
24Oregon Stateup4
25UCF?

South Florida population (2021) (RX; HM)

South Florida population (2021)

You've heard of "recruiting the State of Miami", but really, just how big (population-wise) is the area around "The U"? Here are some facts about the three counties - Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade - that make up South Florida...

Population of South Florida Counties:

Palm Beach County 1.498 million (2021)
Broward County 1.931 million (2021)
Miami-Dade County 2.663 million (2021)
Combined: 6.092 million

By comparison, the total U.S. population is 331.9 million (2021), meaning a little over 1.8% of the U.S. population lives in this area.
Another way to look at it is: where would South Florida rank if it were its own state?
31 States with less than 6.092 million:

• Wisconsin
  • Colorado
  • Minnesota
  • South Carolina
  • Alabama
  • Louisiana
  • Kentucky
  • Oregon
  • Oklahoma
  • Connecticut
  • Utah
  • Iowa
  • Nevada
  • Arkansas
  • Mississippi
  • Kansas
  • New Mexico
  • Nebraska
  • Idaho
  • West Virginia
  • Hawaii
  • New Hampshire
  • Maine
  • Rhode Island
  • Montana
  • Delaware
  • South Dakota
  • North Dakota
  • Alaska
  • Vermont
  • Wyoming

ACC football power rankings: Why we moved UNC two spots to No. 2 (fayobserver.com; Thompson)

Here are the USA TODAY Network's ACC power rankings heading into week 10 of the college football season.

1. Clemson (8-0, 6-0 ACC)

The Tigers remained at No. 1 during their open week.

Last week: No. 1

2. UNC (7-1, 4-0)

UNC moved from No. 4 to No. 2 with a 42-24 win over Pitt. The Tar Heels all but wrapped up the Coastal division.

Last week: No. 4

3. Syracuse (6-2, 3-1)

The Orange lost their second straight, this time falling 41-24 to Notre Dame at home.

Last week: No. 2

4. Louisville (5-3, 3-3)

The Cardinals jumped four spots after a surprising 48-21 win over No. 10 Wake Forest. With Malik Cunningham back at quarterback, Louisville could make a run for the No. 2 spot in the Atlantic division.

Last week: No. 8

5. Wake Forest (6-2, 2-2)

The Demon Deacons gave up 35 points in the third quarter to the Cardinals and saw their Atlantic division title hopes dashed.

Last week: No. 4

FSU favored over Miami on the road (tomahawknation.com; Kosidakis)

Florida State vs. Miami week is here.

Both teams enter the game having snapped losing streaks — Florida State Seminoles football (5-3, 3-3 ACC) got back into the win column this weekend with a blowout 31-16 win over the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (3-5, 2-4 ACC), while the Miami Hurricanes (4-4, 2-2 ACC) got back to .500 after what could be politely described as “interesting” 14-12 four overtime win over the Virginia Cavaliers (3-5, 1-4 ACC) that featured no touchdowns scored.

Florida State enters into the game with the No. 5 overall offense in the country and No. 60 defense, while Miami comes in with the No. 9 defense and No. 75 offense, with those numbers all coming via PFF.

The Hurricanes have struggled to put together successful performances in the squad’s first year under head coach Mario Cristobal, losing home games to Middle Tennessee and Duke as well as logging an additional no-touchdown game earlier in the season in a loss vs. Texas A&M.

According to DraftKings, FSU is an 8-point favorite over the Hurricanes.

Florida State vs. Miami is scheduled for a 7:30 p.m. kickoff from Hard Rock Stadium and is set to be broadcast on ABC.

Leonard Taylor has breakout Miami football game, potential ACC PotW (caneswarning.com; Rubenstein)

Defensive tackle Leonard Taylor tied a career-high with six tackles and set career bests with four tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks as the Miami football team defeated Virginia 14-12 in four overtimes on Saturday. The three biggest plays for Taylor occurred in the second half with Virginia in the red zone.

After a 47-yard completion gave Virginia first and goal at the Miami three yardline, Taylor tackled Cavaliers’ wide receiver, Keytaon Thompson, for a seven-yard loss. Virginia gained one yard on the next two plays and settled for a Will Bettridge 27-yard field goal to tie the game at three all early in the third quarter.

On third and two from the Miami four in the fourth quarter, defensive end Mitchell Agude and Taylor combined for a loss of two yards that forced Virginia to settle for a 24-yard Bettridge field goal to give the Cavaliers a 6-3 lead. The final big play for Taylor came on a sack of Virginia quarterback Brennan Armstrong in overtime.

Taylor sacked Armstrong on third and five from the Miami 20 forcing a 41-yard Bettridge field goal to tie the game at nine. That extended the game to a second OT. Taylor should be a leading candidate to receive the ACC Defensive Lineman of the Week. Miami DL Akheem Mesidor was named ACC DL of the Week on October 17.

Miami DT Leonard Taylor vs UVA
• 6 Tackles (3 Solo)
• 4 Tackles for Loss
• 1.5 Sacks pic.twitter.com/RzTJ1fULAC
— NCAAF Nation (@NCAAFNation247) October 29, 2022

Mesidor had eight tackles, 3.5 TFLs and 3.5 sacks in the 20-14 Miami football win at Virginia Tech on October 15. Taylor led a Miami defense that finished with 11 TFLs and five sacks versus Virginia. Miami entered week nine eighth nationally averaging 3.43 sacks per game. Miami is now averaging 3.63 sacks per game.

Other

LMMB36ZGUBHAHPWPW6R2DI7M2U.jpg

Photo courtesy of the Perrotti family

James Perrotti: Carrier Dome usher, mailman, church usher, greeter extraordinaire (PS; $; photo gallery; Wagner)

James Perrotti was an usher supervisor at the Carrier Dome from the day it opened in 1980 until 2020. He died Oct. 6, 2022. (Photo courtesy of the Perrotti family)