Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
marine-corps-birthday-usmc.jpg.webp
Welcome to USMC Day!

USMC Day—or the United States Marine Corps Birthday—celebrates the creation of the Marine Corps. On November 10, 1775, the Continental Marines were created when the Second Continental Congress adopted a resolution drafted by John Adams. The first Marines were enlisted under Commandant Samuel Nicholas—viewed as the first Marine Commandant—likely at the Tun Tavern in Philadelphia. The Continental Marines were in service for the duration of the American Revolutionary War but were disbanded in 1783 following it. At a time of increasing tensions with France on the seas, the Marines were re-established on July 11, 1798, with a bill signed by then-President John Adams. The United States Marine Corps became a permanent military force under the Department of the Navy.

SU News

Darton measures up at grueling position, dedicated to dream even after Dad’s cancer (PS; $; Leiker)

The story of Kevon Darton receiving his scholarship is one that’s been told repeatedly since Aug. 2.

Syracuse football coach Dino Babers recalled the defensive lineman sitting seven or eight rows up in the team meeting room in the second chair from the right.

Darton knew what was coming the moment Babers asked him to stand up, he said, because he saw it happen to teammates in the past.

Cheers drained out the rest of the noise as soon as the announcement finished leaving Babers’ mouth. Teammates jumped toward Darton. Someone, maybe fellow defensive lineman Caleb Okechukwu, even tackled him.

Getting to that celebratory moment in the team room, though, wasn’t easy.

Darton had to work himself up from walk-on to starter at one of football’s most grueling positions, keeping him away from his dad during a cancer diagnosis.

Despite his smaller stature, Darton has become a fixture on SU’s defensive line since his addition to the scholarship roster earlier this year.

An NCAA Division I defensive lineman is typically 6-foot-3, 270 pounds, according to Next College Student Athlete.

Darton clocks in at 5-foot-11, 266 pounds on the Orange roster. His parents thought he might hit a growth-spurt in college, but he’s been the same height since he joined the program as a walk-on in 2019.

He has the third-most tackles on the team (38) behind linebackers Mikel Jones and Marlowe Wax.

Darton’s overall defensive grade, according to Pro Football Focus, is a 60.7. His highest-graded game came against Wagner (83.3), but other standout efforts have come against two of the most physical offensive lines on SU’s schedule in Notre Dame (80.3) and N.C. State (70.2).

“I think because he’s had to prove himself so much because he doesn’t pass the eye-test height-wise. He’s always had to show that he belongs and deserves,” Darton’s mom, Brigitte Darton, told syracuse.com. “So for us, it was just a great moment for us. ‘Cause he just has worked so hard to get to this point.”

Syracuse was nearing the end of a miserable 2020 football season when Darton, then a second-year walk-on, got a call from Brigitte. It was early November, the morning after his 21st birthday.

Opponent Preview: What to know about Florida State (DO; Smith)

Syracuse returns home Saturday for its final game inside the JMA Wireless Dome this season. The Orange will host No. 25 Florida State, a team that has scored over 40 points in two-straight wins. SU will be looking to snap a three-game losing streak after falling to Clemson, Notre Dame and Pittsburgh.

Garrett Shrader didn’t play against the Panthers, his first time not playing in a game in two years. Carlos Del Rio-Wilson filled in, but the Orange only mustered nine points, and the quarterback categorized his performance as “mediocre.” Head coach Dino Babers didn’t provide much insight into when Shrader will return, and said SU’s entire offense needs to play better Saturday.

Syracuse will need to piece together a better offensive performance Saturday to keep up with Florida State, which leads the Atlantic Coast Conference in rushing yards and averages over 33 points per game. Quarterback Jordan Travis has recorded 19 total touchdowns and only four interceptions this season.

Here’s everything to know about the Seminoles before Saturday’s matchup:

All-time series

Florida State leads, 12-2.

Last time they played

Syracuse traveled to Tallahassee, Florida last October, looking to improve to 4-1 and pick up its first ACC win of the season. SU rallied from a 30-20 deficit in the fourth quarter, first by getting a touchdown pass from Shrader to Anthony Queeley, then through a Duce Chestnut interception on a screen pass. SU drove inside the FSU 10-yard line, but couldn’t convert for a touchdown, and Andre Szmyt’s field goal tied the game.

Florida State got the ball at its own 21-yard line with 1:03 remaining. After a personal foul penalty on SU, Travis ran down the sideline for a 33-yard gain across midfield. Two plays later on 3rd-and-7, he took off for 25 yards. Kicker Ryan Fitzgerald hit from 34 yards out for an FSU win. It was Syracuse’s seventh-straight loss at Doak Campbell Stadium, where they’ve still never won.

Jatius Geer’s physical development in high school set up breakout season at Syracuse (DO; Smith)

Jatius Geer resembled a baby deer when Kevin Smith first laid eyes on the high school freshman. He had a short torso, long legs and huge feet. Smith assumed Geer, at roughly 6-foot-2, 150 pounds, would be a wide receiver or defensive back. Surely not a defensive lineman.

Geer struggled in the weight room, displaying poor form and a lack of coordination since he hadn’t caught up to his body. He was awkward when performing power and hang cleans even with just the bar, and only bench pressed 95 pounds. His ankle mobility was so poor and his hips were so weak that he couldn’t squat.

“The first few times in the weight room he was God awful,” Smith said. “He was terrible.”

But Geer developed into a defensive lineman in the weight room, Smith said. As Belton-Honea Path (S.C.) High School’s strength and defensive line coach, Smith spent hours improving Geer’s mobility and explosiveness.

Geer’s weight room numbers skyrocketed as he filled out his now 6-foot-6, 233-pound body. He moved from tight end to defensive line, got bumped up to the varsity team and earned 19 Division-I offers. After playing in one game last season, Geer has become a key contributor in his second season at SU, recording 2.5 sacks over his last four games and 22 tackles over the last seven.

“He’s growing up right in front of our eyes,” head coach Dino Babers said. “I see him as someone that’s going to go from a baby bear to a grizzly.”

Russell Blackston, Belton-Honea Path’s head coach, told Geer the spring of his freshman year he had the chance to play D-I football given his length and ability to gain leverage. But Blackston knew Geer needed to spend time in the weight room, so Geer spent his freshman season on BHP’s junior-varsity team, and started there the following year, too.

Keeping Up With The 315 11-9 (ESPN; radio; Higgins)

Brian Higgins opens the show diving into Syracuse basketball’s guard rotation. Also on the show, how did the Syracuse football schedule impact their record, what is happening to Josh Allen and the Two-Minute Drill with Ja’Had Carter.

On The Block On Demand 11-9 (ESPN; radio; Axe)

Brent Axe discusses how he’s not quite sure how to feel leading up to Syracuse’s matchup Saturday against Florida State. Later, Josh joins him to bring the mojo for their weekly props.

Syracuse football: first down offense vs Pitt (TNIAAM;. Wall)

The Syracuse Orange offense was mostly anemic on Saturday afternoon. Pitt’s defense held the Orange to total yards, but there were a couple of bright spots on 1st down throws.

For the game Carlos Del Rio-Wilson only threw for 120 yards. He had 106 of those yards on first down. Look, there’s not a lot to say positively about a game where you don’t score a touchdown but Syracuse was able to find some big plays when they threw it on first down.

First down offense vs Pitt

Run (Tucker)0Run (Del Rio-Wilson)3
Pass (Tucker)7Run (Tucker)4
Pass (Alford)17Pass (Incomplete)0
Pass (Incomplete)0Run (Tucker)-1
Run (Del Rio-Wilson)8Pass (Tucker)-4
Pass (Cooper)7Run (Del Rio-Wilson)0
Pass (Incomplete)0Pass (Adams)45
Pass (Alford)31Pass (Incomplete)0
Run (Tucker)4Sack (Del Rio-Wilson)-1
Pass (Incomplete)0
Kneel Down0
1st HalfPlaysYardsAvg yards per play
Run3124

Syracuse Football: Processing the reality of the Orange being 6-3 (itlh; Fiello)

Hello, Orange Ohana and Syracuse football nation! I’m sorry for my absence lately but it has nothing to do with on-the-field situations and more to do with personal issues. In fact, I thought I’d take a little time now to explain why even at 6-3 I can process it and not let it bother me.

First off, I did predict a one-loss season so maybe you could say in some ways there is disappointment there. However, when I make “predictions” such as that, I do so just by trying my best to look at the talent we have and what I think is possible. It should be taken with a grain of salt and understood that a lot can change and that it’s no guarantee.

Please keep in mind the first game of the season we lost two VERY talented and impactful players in Chris “Rhino” Elmore and Stef Thompson for the season (both of whom I said preseason would be relied on to get there). Both of whom were huge reasons I saw such heavy potential for this program this year. Now look at the injuries adding up, especially on defense, and you can understand maybe why it’s a bit harder to stop/contain the run of opponents.

Not to mention we’ve seen Garrett Shrader grow into our starting quarterback with NFL potential and he’s been out for half of the Notre Dame game and all of Pittsburgh as a true freshman in Carlos Del Rio-Wilson tried to make the best of the situation. And the other Garrett with NFL potential and a leader on the field, Garrett Williams also is lost for the season. Ja’Had Carter has been amazing stepping up since but you can’t just lose key guys like this and not expect a little difference.

Syracuse football now resides at 6-3, and that’s totally okay with me.

Second, can we really be mad after recent seasons that this team started 6-0 and is still bowl-eligible? I get it…many saw 6-0 and thought we could run the table and unfortunately that didn’t happen so you’ve already depressed yourself based on expectations YOU placed on this team.

2-4-7: Syracuse Orange (247sports.com; Nee)

Florida State
travels to face Syracuse on Saturday evening at 8 p.m. from the JMA Wireless Dome in Syracuse, N.Y. The game between the Seminoles and the Orange will be shown on ACC Network.

FSU enters the game with a 6-3 record, including a 4-3 mark against Atlantic Coast Conference opponents. FSU has won two in a row entering the game. FSU head coach Mike Norvell is 1-0 against Syracuse, having defeated the Orange when the two teams met in 2021.

Syracuse has a 6-3 record on the season as well, with a 3-2 mark in ACC play. The Orange have lost three in a row after starting the season with six consecutive wins. Dino Babers, who is in his seventh season with Syracuse, is 1-4 against the Seminoles.

FSU and Syracuse have met 14 times previously. FSU is 12-2 against the Orange in the series. Syracuse's two victories in the series came in 1966 and 2018. FSU is 5-2 all-time at Syracuse and 4-1 in their current home inside the dome.

Saturday marks the final home game of the season for Syracuse. The Orange are 5-1 in the JMA Wireless Dome this season. A sixth win would equal the most wins at home for Syracuse under the direction of Babers. The Orange posted a 6-0 mark at home in 2018.

Here is what you need to know about the Orange:

2 HEADLINES

- Syracuse began the season on a six-game winning streak and is now in the midst of a three-game losing streak.
During the six-game winning streak, the Orange averaged 244.3 passing yards per game while throwing for 12 touchdowns. Over their last three games, they are averaging just 170.7 passing yards per game while throwing for three touchdowns. They averaged 188.5 rushing yards per game and had 12 rushing touchdowns over their first six games. Over the last three, those numbers have dwindled to 70.0 rushing yards per game and just two rushing touchdowns.

FSU football: 3 huge facts about 2022 Syracuse football (chopchat.com; Hunt)

FSU football will travel to Syracuse Saturday for another prime-time game. The Noles are bowl eligible and ranking in the AP top 25 for the second time this season.

They lost in their first game as a ranked team against Wake Forest, but that shouldn’t be the case this weekend.

Here’s what I had to say about Syracuse in my game-by-game predictions in the preseason:

Syracuse returns much of their defense, but their offense consists of their running back and no passing game. Syracuse plays a murderer’s row schedule and will likely be demoralized by the time FSU rolls to upstate New York.
They will probably be better than their record indicates. However, FSU is the more talented team on both sides.
Outside of FSU turning the ball over multiple times, I don’t see Syracuse scoring enough to get past the Noles.
Syracuse brings a 6-3 record into the contest and has had a ranking for much of the season before their third consecutive loss dropped them outside the top 25.

Many FSU football fans grew afraid of Syracuse when they started the season 6-0, but I never wavered because I watched the games. Here are three huge facts about the 2022 Syracuse Orange.

FSU LB Kalen Deloach and DE Patrick Payton talk Miami win, going on the road to face Syracuse (tomahawknation.com; Mire)

The Florida State Seminoles are heading to Syracuse to face the Syracuse Orange on Saturday. They are coming off a record-setting performance against the Miami Hurricanes and look to finish out ACC play strong with a winning conference record. The Noles now sit at No. 25 and earned a spot in the CFP rankings (23) earlier this week. They held the No. 25 spot early in October before going on a losing streak.

Linebacker Kalen DeLoach and defensive end Patrick Payton spoke with the media after Wednesday’s practice, detailed their performance last weekend, and discussed the upcoming challenge on Saturday.

Kalen DeLoach

DeLoach was a little quiet last weekend stat-wise (3 tackles) but was an overall disruption in the run-and-pass game. He was asked about his team being ranked in the College Football Playoff rankings and acknowledged it but said that's not where they want to be.

“I did see it yesterday. They did make a post about the new College Football Rankings I seen we got 23. Yeah, man, playoffs, yes. Yes, you know that’s improvement, but that’s still not where we want to be at, but it’s still Improvement.”

#FakeNunes previews Syracuse vs Florida State (TNIAAM; Wall)

It’s Wednesday, so you know what that means... time for the blog that gives you the internet’s most ridiculous college football preview series- it’s #FakeNunes time. Have we found some creative ways to get #jokesandgarbage into a Syracuse Orange preview? You be the judge...

Now onto this week’s opponent

Opponent: Florida State Seminoles

Students: 32, 384 students who’d still trade Mike Norvell for Coach Prime

The 2022 Fake Nunes Statistical Index (#FNSI)

We continue to look to innovate our analytics model so we here’s what the lab cooked up for this season.

Rivalry Trophy

The FNSI staff realized that some of what’s missing in these games is that the Orange aren’t playing for any rivalry trophies and they are out to fix that injustice. Each week the winner of the FNSI will get to take home a new trophy. This week we give you

The Hangman Trophy

No not Hangman Adam Page or Hangman Bobby Jaggers. This refers to the 2013 game where FSU starters were so bored they started playing Hangman on the sideline.

i

At Dartmouth, Crouthamel was the Big Green's leading rusher for three seasons and was twice named to the All-Ivy League first team. AP Photo/Frank C. Curtin, File

Ex-Dartmouth star, Syracuse AD Crouthamel dies (ESPN; AP)

Jake Crouthamel, a star halfback and two-way player at Dartmouth in the late 1950s and an accomplished football coach before finding his ultimate niche as athletic director at Syracuse, has died. He was 84.

Crouthamel died Monday in Hanover, New Hampshire, according to Wendell F. Hartley, Jr. of the Rand-Wilson Funeral Home there.

Born in 1938 in Perkasie, Pennsylvania, Crouthamel was the Big Green's leading rusher for three seasons and was twice named to the All-Ivy League first team. His career rushing total of 1,763 yards was a school record at the time and still ranks sixth all-time.

Crouthamel was the first player to sign with the expansion Dallas Cowboys in 1960 and the last player cut. He joined the American Football League's Boston Patriots for their inaugural season and then entered the Navy for three years, where he became involved in coaching, leading the Pearl Harbor Naval team to a championship.

At Dartmouth, Crouthamel was the Big Green's leading rusher for three seasons and was twice named to the All-Ivy League first team. AP Photo/Frank C. Curtin, File
He then returned to his alma mater as an assistant to Bob Blackman. When Blackman departed for Illinois, Crouthamel took over from 1971-77. His teams won or shared three Ivy League championships and he was recognized as New England and NCAA District I Coach of the Year in 1973. He left coaching after compiling a 41-20-2 record to become athletic director at Syracuse and left an indelible mark in 27 years.

He was a driving force in the formation of the Big East in 1979. That also was the year the Carrier Dome opened on campus, giving the university a unique indoor sports venue for football, basketball, and lacrosse.

Successes under Crouthamel's watch included the 2003 men's basketball national championship, nine national titles in men's lacrosse, 14 football bowl appearances and 22 Big East championships. In 1999, Crouthamel was given the National Football Foundation's John L. Toner Award for dedication to college athletics before retiring in 2005. Three years later, he was inducted into the National Association of Collegiate Athletic Directors (NACDA) Hall of Fame.

ACC News

ACC in danger of being excluded from 2nd straight playoff (yahoo.com; AP)

Clemson's loss at Notre Dame was a severe blow to the ACC's hopes of landing a team in the College Football Playoff.

Last weekend's 35-14 setback at three-loss Notre Dame dropped Clemson (8-1, 6-0) from the list of the nation's unbeaten teams. The Tigers moved from No. 5 down to a season-low No. 12 in this week's AP Top 25.

Suddenly the ACC is in danger of being shut out of the playoff for the second straight year.

The ACC is without a top-10 team in the AP poll. Even with only three weeks remaining in the regular season, the league's coaches believe it's too early to count out the Tigers or other teams, including one-loss North Carolina.

''A lot of ball left and a lot of opportunity left,'' Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said. ''The only thing off the table for us is that we know we're not going to be undefeated.''

The AP Top 25 has experienced some serious shuffling this season. When it comes to reviving the ACC's sagging playoff hopes, the league needs more upsets of the current contenders for the four-team playoff.

''I think almost every year, a one-loss team makes it to the to the finals, it seems like,'' N.C. State coach Dave Doeren said. ''Clemson's still a one-loss team. We'll just have to see how it plays out. I think that these next four weeks are going to be huge in college football.''

Dabo Swinney believes media 'narratives' unfair to ACC (on3.com; Connolly)

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney doesn’t believe the ACC has gotten the credit it deserves so far in the 2022 season.

Swinney said on his call-in show earlier this week that there’s a narrative that exists that is unfair to the league.

“Anybody can beat anybody,” Swinney said of the ACC. “It’s no different than any other league. I know there’s a lot of media driven jargon, narratives out there, which is ridiculous.”

Swinney added that teams in the ACC are punished differently at times than teams in some other conferences.

For instance, LSU has two losses, including one to Florida State. However, LSU is currently ranked No. 7 in the College Football Playoff rankings.

There’s also Oregon, which is ranked No. 6, despite opening the season with a 49-3 loss to Georgia.

Clemson is currently 8-1 (6-0), with its only loss coming this past weekend at Notre Dame. Swinney added that it’s hard to beat the teams the Tigers have in the ACC.

Scouting the opponent: Duke football welcomes struggling Virginia Tech (dukechronicle.com; Dudley)

Following a 38-31 win against Boston College, the Blue Devils are now above .500 in conference and three games above .500 overall. This largely unexpected success in head coach Mike Elko’s first season has led the Blue Devils to clinch bowl eligibility for the first time since 2018. Now, the Blue Devils will look to “get greedy in November,” and this mission gets underway with a Saturday matchup at home against Virginia Tech. The Hokies are coming off of a 28-27 loss to Georgia Tech at home. Let’s examine what the Hokies bring to the table.

To put it lightly, Virginia Tech has been underwhelming this year. The Hokies sport a 2-7 record coupled with a 1-5 conference record, which lands them at the bottom of the ACC Coastal Division. Virginia Tech has not won a game since September, a month in which it had victories against struggling Boston College and FCS opponent Wofford. The Hokies have multiple losses against floundering teams, including a 33-10 loss to a West Virginia team that sits at the bottom of the Big 12 standings and the aforementioned loss to Georgia Tech. Needless to say, things have not gone too well in head coach Brent Pry’s first season at the helm.
i.gif

A major problem with Virginia Tech this season has been offensive production. The offense has mustered 20.2 points per game to date, with its highest offensive output being 29 points against Pittsburgh. An even more dire problem with the offense comes when looking at total offense, in which the Hokies are 119th in the country with 315.9 yards per game.

'We left it better than we found it': NC State's Grant Gibson grapples with senior day emotions (starnewsonline.com; Thompson)

Grant Gibson needed a moment.

Sitting inside his off-campus apartment that he shares with senior teammate Isaiah Moore, the sixth-year center was asked about the little things he’d miss as he enters the twilight of his NC State football career.

He paused, using the red long-sleeved portion of his shirt to dry the tears from his eyes.

“Geez, Grant,” he muttered to himself. “It’s not even Saturday yet.”

For Gibson, this weekend’s home game against Boston College (2-7, 1-5 ACC) marks the final time he’ll play a football game at Carter-Finley Stadium, the end of an era that began in 2017 and spanned through the lowest lows and greatest triumphs of the Dave Doeren era. Since joining the Wolfpack, Gibson has been a part of three nine-win teams (No. 16 NC State is 7-2 with three regular season games remaining), started the past 44 games at center, suffered through a 4-8 record in 2019 and was named a team captain for the past three years.

2022 ACC Week 11 Noon Previews (RX; HM)

2022 ACC Week 11 Noon Previews

These are the Saturday noon games...

Saturday, Nov. 12, Noon; RSN

Virginia Tech (2-7, 1-5 ACC) at Duke (6-3, 3-2 ACC)

VT leads series, 19-10; Last meeting: VT, 48-17 (2021)
Head Coaches:
Duke - Mike Elko (6-3 in first season at Duke and overall)
Virginia Tech - Brent Pry (2-7 in first season at Virginia Tech and overall)
Notes: Virginia Tech has won five of the last six meetings versus the Blue Devils, including last season’s 48-17 victory in Blacksburg • QB Braxton Burmeister threw for 215 yards and a career-high three touchdowns to lead the Hokies • That made it two straight series wins versus the Blue Devils for Virginia Tech, which also won 38-31 on its most recent trip to Durham in 2020 • RB Khalil Herbert ran for 208 yards and two touchdowns, including a 60-yard score with 2:20 left to lead the Hokies in that game • Duke’s three road wins at Virginia Tech in 2013, 2015 and 2019 are ITS only ones in ACC play versus the Hokies, who are 15-3 in league games versus Duke and have won nine of 11 all-time in Durham • The series, first played in 1937, includes neutral-site games in the North Carolina cities of Greensboro and Winston-Salem, as well as the Virginia cities of Roanoke and Norfolk.

2022 ACC Week 11 Mid-Day Previews (RX; HM)

2022 ACC Week 11 Mid-Day Previews

These are the Saturday 3:30 games...

Saturday, Nov. 12, 3:30 p.m.; ESPN

Louisville (6-3, 3-3 ACC) at #4 Clemson (8-1, 6-0 ACC)

Clemson leads series, 7-0; Last meeting: CU, 30-24 (2021)
Head Coaches:
Louisville - Scott Satterfield (24-22 in fourth season at Louisville; 75-46 in 10th season overall)
Clemson - Dabo Swinney (158-37 in 15th season at Clemson and overall)
Notes: Clemson seeks to rebound from its first loss of the season, but will enter Saturday’s game having already clinched a spot in the Subway ACC Football Championship game for the seventh time in eight years • The Tigers are 7-0 against the Cardinals, with all seven meetings coming since Louisville joined the ACC • The Cardinals led for much of last year’s game in Louisville, but QB DJ Uiagalelei’s 8-yard touchdown run with 4:12 left in the game gave Clemson its first lead before the Tiger defense made a goal-line stand to seal a 30-24 victory • The Tigers won the most recent game at Death Valley in 2018 by a 77-16 margin and by a 47-21 score at Louisville in 2017, when both teams were ranked among the nation’s top 15 • Last year’s game more closely resembled of the first three in the series which were closer (2014-16), with the Tigers winning each by six points or less.

Saturday, Nov. 12, 3:30 p.m.; RSN

Miami (4-5, 2-3 ACC) at Georgia Tech (4-5, 3-3 ACC)

Series tied, 13-13; Last meeting: UM, 33-30 (2021)
Head Coaches:
Miami - Mario Cristobal (4-5 in first season at Miami; 66-65 in 12th season overall)
Georgia Tech - Brent Key, interim (3-2 in first season at Georgia Tech and overall)
Notes: Miami ended a two-game losing skid versus the Yellow Jackets with a 33-30 victory at Miami Gardens late last season • QB Tyler Van Dyke passed for 389 yards and three touchdowns to lead the Hurricanes, who had dropped their two previous meetings to Georgia Tech by a total of 13 points, including a 27-21 decision in their most recent trip Atlanta in 2018 • Ten of Georgia Tech’s 13 series wins have come at home • The series was first played in 1955 and featured eight non-conference games and one bowl matchup (Miami’s 28-13 Gator Bowl victory in 1999) prior to the Hurricanes’ entry into the ACC • Miami holds a 10-7 edge in ACC play • The Hurricanes lost six of seven games to the Jackets in Atlanta prior to joining the ACC, but won 27-3 on their first road trip there as league members in 2004 • Saturday’s contest is Georgia Tech’s final home game of 2022.

Saturday, Nov. 12, 3:30 p.m.; ACCN

Boston College (2-7, 1-5 ACC) at #22 NC State (7-2, 3-2 ACC)

BC leads series, 10-8; Last meeting: NCSU, 33-7 (2021)
Head Coaches:
Boston College - Jeff Hafley (14-18 in third season at BC and overall)
NC State - Dave Doeren (70-50 in 10th season at NC State; 94-54 in 12th season overall)
Notes: NC State’s road victory last season in Chestnut Hill trimmed the Eagles’ edge in games versus the Wolfpack since joining the ACC to 9-7 • The series began in 1936 with Boston College winning 7-3 at Fenway Park • NC State returned the next season to post a 12-7 win in Chestnut Hill, and the teams didn’t meet again until 2005 • NC State is 6-4 versus the Eagles in Raleigh, including a 28-23 win in the Eagles’ most recent visit in 2018 • QB Devin Leary led last season’s Wolfpack road win, throwing for 251 yards and three touchdowns • Saturday’s game is the first of two late road tests for the Eagles, who travel to Notre Dame on Nov. 19 before ending the regular season at home versus Syracuse on Nov. 26 • This week’s game closes out the home slate for NC State, which will visit Louisville on Nov. 19 and rival North Carolina on Thanksgiving Friday afternoon.

Is there Hope for the Hokies? What's wrong? (RX; HM)

Is there Hope for the Hokies? What's wrong?

This turkey ain't goin' nowhere after Thanksgiving...

Virginia Tech is currently 2-7 and already eliminated from bowl eligibility for the 2022 season. This is shaping up to be possibly the worst season since 1992 for the Hokies (They went 2-8-1 that year).

It would be easy to say that new Head Coach Brent Pry and his staff have been a complete bust - or, at the very least, that there are "concerning warning signs". I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned myself! However, fellow blogger "Treadmill Horse" tweeted a little sanity-check for the rest of us:

What do you see here? pic.twitter.com/oGFesMFxrX
— Treadmill Horse (@treadmillhorse) November 6, 2022

Answer: Evidence of IMPROVEMENT.

The Hokies lost the first two games by 23, then 31. Since then they've lost by 16, then 6, then 1, then 1 again. That IS an encouraging way to look at it, even if it doesn't FEEL good to keep losing!
Oh, that 2-8-1 record in 1992? That was Frank Beamer's 6th year at the helm. In those first six seasons, the legendary coach posted these records:

ACC football predictions for Week 11: Our experts pick the winner of every game (fayobserver.com; Staff)

Last weekend was a wacky one for college football, with upsets and shakeups all over. We'll see if the dust settles Saturday.

Our panel of USA TODAY Sports Network experts has correctly predicted 72% of this season's games so far. Will that number rise or fall after Week 11?

Let's take a look at this week's picks.

Saturday's games

Pitt at Virginia (noon, ACC Network)

The picks: Pitt 7, Virginia 0

The line: Pitt by 4.5

• Sammy Batten, Fayetteville Observer: Pitt
  • Carter Karels, Tallahassee Democrat: Pitt
  • Alexis Cubit, Louisville Courier Journal: Pitt
  • Jim Rice, Greenville News: Pitt
  • David Thompson, Fayetteville Observer: Pitt
  • Scott Keepfer, Greenville News: Pitt
  • Todd Shanesy, Greenville News: Pitt

Virginia Tech at Duke (noon, RSN/ESPN3)

The picks: Duke 7, Virginia Tech 0

The line: Duke by 9.5

• Sammy Batten, Fayetteville Observer: Duke
  • Carter Karels, Tallahassee Democrat: Duke
  • Alexis Cubit, Louisville Courier Journal: Duke
  • Jim Rice, Greenville News: Duke
  • David Thompson, Fayetteville Observer: Duke
  • Scott Keepfer, Greenville News: Duke
  • Todd Shanesy, Greenville News: Duke

Boston College at No. 16 NC State (3:30 p.m., ACC Network)

The picks: NC State 7, BC 0

The line: NC State by 19.5

• Sammy Batten, Fayetteville Observer: NC State
  • Carter Karels, Tallahassee Democrat: NC State
  • Alexis Cubit, Louisville Courier Journal: NC State
  • Jim Rice, Greenville News: NC State
  • David Thompson, Fayetteville Observer: NC State
  • Scott Keepfer, Greenville News: NC State
  • Todd Shanesy, Greenville News: NC State

Louisville at No. 12 Clemson (3:30 p.m., ESPN)

The picks: Clemson 7, Louisville 0

The line: Clemson by 7.5

• Sammy Batten, Fayetteville Observer: Clemson
  • Carter Karels, Tallahassee Democrat: Clemson
  • Alexis Cubit, Louisville Courier Journal: Clemson
  • Jim Rice, Greenville News: Clemson
  • David Thompson, Fayetteville Observer: Clemson
  • Scott Keepfer, Greenville News: Clemson
  • Todd Shanesy, Greenville News: Clemson

Miami at Georgia Tech (3:30 p.m., RSN/ESPN3)

The picks: Miami 4, GT 3

The line: Georgia Tech by 1.5

• Sammy Batten, Fayetteville Observer: Miami
  • Carter Karels, Tallahassee Democrat: Miami
  • Alexis Cubit, Louisville Courier Journal: Miami
  • Jim Rice, Greenville News: Miami
  • David Thompson, Fayetteville Observer: Georgia Tech
  • Scott Keepfer, Greenville News: Georgia Tech
  • Todd Shanesy, Greenville News: Georgia Tech

No. 14 UNC at Wake Forest (7:30 p.m., ESPN2)

The picks: UNC 5, Wake Forest 1

The line: Wake Forest by 3.5

• Sammy Batten, Fayetteville Observer: UNC
  • Carter Karels, Tallahassee Democrat: UNC
  • Alexis Cubit, Louisville Courier Journal: UNC
  • Jim Rice, Greenville News: UNC
  • David Thompson, Fayetteville Observer: Wake Forest
  • Scott Keepfer, Greenville News: UNC
  • Todd Shanesy, Greenville News: Wake Forest

Florida State at Syracuse (8 p.m., ACC Network)

The picks: Florida State 7, Syracuse 0

The line: Florida State by 6.5

• Sammy Batten, Fayetteville Observer: Florida State
  • Carter Karels, Tallahassee Democrat: Florida State
  • Alexis Cubit, Louisville Courier Journal: Florida State
  • Jim Rice, Greenville News: Florida State
  • David Thompson, Fayetteville Observer: Florida State
  • Scott Keepfer, Greenville News: Florida State
  • Todd Shanesy, Greenville News: Florida State

Week 11 ACC football power poll (dailyprogress.com; Madia)

The chance an Atlantic Coast Conference member reaches the College Football Playoff is slim at this point following Clemson’s lopsided non-league loss at Notre Dame this past Saturday.
And the Tigers, perhaps, won’t be the only ones kicking themselves when the regular-season slate concludes for falling against an average version of the Irish, who knocked off currently-surging North Carolina on Sept. 24.
Clemson has already secured its spot in the ACC title game and is on track to meet UNC, which after beating Virginia on Saturday has won five in a row and is on a clear path to take the Coastal Division. This week, the Tigers and the Tar Heels are tied for the top spot in the Lee Enterprises ACC Power Poll. It’s the first time this season that Clemson didn’t receive every first-place vote.

Ties seemed to be a theme, too, this week with struggling UVa, Miami and Georgia Tech all knotted in the No. 10 spot.

Voters: Mike Barber and David Teel (Richmond Times-Dispatch), Greg Madia and John Shifflett (Charlottesville Daily Progress), Aaron McFarling (Roanoke Times) and John Dell (Winston-Salem Journal)

t-1. Clemson (8-1, No. 1 last week): The Tigers’ trek to South Bend wasn’t just a loss. They were beat down by the Irish, who had a 28-0 lead early in the fourth quarter on Benjamin Morrison’s 96-yard interception return for a touchdown. Both Clemson quarterbacks DJ Uiagalelei and Cade Klubnik threw an interception during the game, leaving the Tigers with significant quarterback issues. Next: vs. Louisville, Saturday

t-1. North Carolina (8-1, No. 2 last week): A team without any QB problems is UNC, with freshman signal-caller Drake Maye having emerged as the favorite for ACC Offensive Player of the Year. He leads the country in passing touchdowns (31), total offense (386.3 yards per game) and is fourth for completion percentage (71.2%), and his three total touchdowns — two passing, one rushing — propelled the Tar Heels to a road win at UVa. Next: at Wake Forest, Saturday

3. N.C. State (7-2, No. 6 last week): Give credit to Wolfpack defensive coordinator Tony Gibson, whose unit was excellent in N.C. State’s win over Wake Forest this past weekend while holding the Demon Deacons to only 21 points — tied for the fewest they’ve scored in a game this season. N.C. State racked up nine tackles for loss and four sacks in the victory. The Wolfpack lead the ACC in scoring defense (17.8 points allowed per game). Next: vs. Boston College, Saturday

4. Florida State (6-3, t-No. 4 last week): The Seminoles’ 45-3 demolition of rival Miami on the road was impressive. Signal-caller Jordan Travis threw for three touchdowns while running back Trey Benson rushed for 128 yards and two scores as FSU displayed a truly balanced attack. The Seminoles have won back-to-back contests and have three very winnable games — at Syracuse, vs. Louisiana and vs. Florida — left. Next: at Syracuse, Saturday

5. Louisville (6-3, No. 7 last week): What a difference a month makes. The Cardinals were as low as tied for 12th in this poll after falling to lowly Boston College, but since then coach Scott Satterfield’s squad has rattled off four straight victories and done so in dominant fashion. Those four wins — at UVa, vs. Pittsburgh, vs. Wake Forest and vs. James Madison — were by an average margin of victory of 20.5 points per contest. Next: at Clemson, Saturday

6. Wake Forest (6-3, No. 3 last week): If Louisville is on the rise, certainly Wake Forest is on the down swing. The Demon Deacons were steadily holding at No. 2 in this poll through late October, but they’ve dropped consecutive games. The defending Atlantic Division champion’s schedule doesn’t get any easier this week with UNC coming to town. Next: vs. North Carolina, Saturday

7. Duke (6-3, No. 8 last week): Duke has taken on the personality of its first-year coach Mike Elko, having flexed a powerful rushing attack and a disruptive defense in the Blue Devils’ win at Boston College last week. As a team, Duke racked up 232 rushing yards and four scores on the ground while its defense registered five sacks of BC QB Emmett Morehead. The Blue Devils are aiming for their third straight win this week. Next: vs. Virginia Tech, Saturday

8. Pittsburgh (5-4, No. 9 last week): The Panthers have had an up-and-down year, but earned their best victory of the campaign to this point with a 19-9 win over then-nationally-ranked Syracuse this past Saturday. With defense at the forefront of the win, Pitt held Syracuse to 25 rushing yards (1 yard per carry) and 145 total yards. Defensive end Deslin Alexandre had 2.5 sacks and three tackles for loss. Next: at Virginia, Saturday

9. Syracuse (6-3, t-No. 4 last week): A once-promising season — with hopes a division or conference title — has sputtered away from the Orange. They’ve lost three straight — at Clemson, vs. Notre Dame and Pittsburgh. For coach Dino Babers and company, they’ve got to get their ground game going again, having averaged only 43 rushing yards per game over the last two contests compared to 179 rushing yards per game through the first seven. Next: vs. Florida State, Saturday

Other

TMKZOQHDPRFUVHMP6MXT2JSYNQ.jpg

A rendering of the interior of the new Popeye's fried chicken location that opens Nov. 11 at 167 Marshall St. (Courtesy of Popeye's Louisiana Kitchen)

Syracuse’s newest Popeye’s fried chicken set to open in a famous retail strip (PS; Cazenrtre)

Goodbye Acropolis. Welcome Popeye’s.

The newest location for the national Louisiana-style fried chicken chain opens Friday at 167 Marshall St. just off the Syracuse University campus. That’s the spot that had been home to the locally owned Acropolis Pizza, which served the SU area for 40 years until it closed earlier this year.

The Popeye’s Louisiana Kitchen opens its doors at 9 a.m. Friday after the completion of a thorough renovation. Its look will be be a little more “fancy and upscale” than many other Popeye’s, said Heidi Cousineau, speaking for Liberty Restaurant Holdings, which will operate the Marshall Street store.

The Marshall Street location will experiment with serving extended hours — possibly until 3 a.m. — on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, Cousineau said.

Popeye’s, founded in the New Orleans area in the 1970s, is known for its regular and spicy fried chicken, chicken sandwiches and other items with “Louisiana” flavor.

With the Marshall Street opening, Popeye’s will have five Syracuse-area locations. Liberty also operates the Popeye’s in Township 5 in Camillus and the location that opened in August at 7980 Brewerton Road in Cicero. Two other locations, on Erie Boulevard East in DeWitt and Route 11 in Mattydale are owned by a different franchiser.