Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to National Christmas Tree Day!

The Christmas tree, a prominent decoration for those who celebrate Christmas, is the focus of today's holiday. The day is often celebrated by acquiring, putting up, and decorating a Christmas tree. Although the choice to put National Christmas Tree Day on December 8 was made by the day's creator, Jace Shoemaker-Galloway, the date does have some other connections to the Christmas tree. Today also happens to be Immaculate Conception Day, a Catholic holiday on which celebrants in some countries put up Christmas trees. December 8 is also around the time of the year that the lighting of the National Christmas Tree takes place. In the past, some tree farmers have also held a National Christmas Tree Day on the date as well.

SU News

ORANGE ZONE: Pinstripe Bowl Preview and inside the renewed excitement around Syracuse athletics (youtube; podcast; Orange Zone)

There's renewed excitement around Syracuse University athletics whether it's on the gridiron, the pitch or the hardwood.

SU football (7-5) is looking ahead to the final chapter of their 2022 season, a date with the Minnesota Golden Gophers in the Pinstripe Bowl. Meanwhile SU men's soccer can almost taste a national championship and a new legacy is being created on the hardwood of the JMA Wireless Dome.

On this week's episode of "The Orange Zone Podcast" Tommy Sladek, Samantha Croston, and James Mungro kick off the way-too-early preview of the Pinstripe Bowl with a preliminary look at the matchup and the connections it brings (04:32-07:29) as well as what we know when it comes to some of SU's standouts and the potential for them to test the Transfer Portal waters (07:30-14:57). The team also dives into everything that comes with playing in a bowl game, both good and bad (14:58-21:59) along with praising the upcoming introduction of a 12-team college football playoff (22:00-25:38).

‎Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball: Syracuse Loses Steve Linton To The Transfer Portal + Georgetown Talk on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Matt Bonaparte and Owen Valentine break down the latest in Syracuse Football and Basketball. With Steve Linton transferring what does that mean for the team? Are there bigger questions at hand? Plus, a look at Georgetown and a revenge match for the Orange from last season. It's your Thursday Episode of Locked on Syracuse.

You can find episodes of the Locked On Syracuse podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Audacy or wherever you get your podcasts. Please leave us a like and rating as we would leave to hear your feedback. Be sure to tell your friends if you enjoy the pod!

Keeping Up With The 315 12-7-22 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian Higgins opens the show with his takeaways from last night’s Syracuse win over Oakland. Also on the show, Steve Linton is in the transfer portal, Von Miller is out for the season and Aaron Judge made himself a boat-load of money from the Yankees.

JUCO OL Larry Johnson III 'thankful' for Syracuse offer - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

JUCO offensive lineman Larry Johnson III is one of the most sought after transfers in the college ranks.

A First-Team All-KJCCC selection in 2022 at Hutchinson (KS) CC, Johnson has received a slew of offers in the past few weeks from high-majors. Among the schools to have offered so far include Maryland, Nebraska, Tennessee, FAU and UCF.

Syracuse was also one of the schools to most recently extend an offer to Johnson.

After A Talk With Coach Schmidt I’m Glad To Receive Another Opportunity From Syracuse University! @CoachM_Schmidt @CoachSerchia @BlueDragonsFB pic.twitter.com/ujyjuaW6hG
— Larry Johnson III (@iamthelarryj76) November 30, 2022

“It felt great man,” Johnson said of the Syracuse offer. “I’m thankful for every opportunity that comes my way just due to the fact that I didn’t have any last year.”

He does now, with offensive line coach Mike Schmidt as SU’s lead recruiter.

“He’s a great coach, great person all around,” Johnson said. “Feel he loves Syracuse and loves what he does, which is the key to everything.”

2024 OL Raynor Andrews recaps 'surreal' feeling after Syracuse offer - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

2024 offensive lineman Raynor Andrews picked up his first offer from Syracuse on Tuesday, describing the experience as ‘surreal,’ he said in an interview with The Juice Online.

“It definitely felt surreal and so amazing to finally get my first offer knowing how much work I put in it,” Andrews said. “It’s finally starting to pay off.”

I’m so happy to receive my first offer from Syracuse University @CuseFootball @CoachNJ_Monroe pic.twitter.com/yGPOpOX1uZ
— Raynor “ Big Ray “ Andrews (@KeyzXclusive) December 6, 2022

The Miami (Fla.) Jackson High prospect received plenty of attention after leading his team to a 7-3 season and a playoff appearance in what was Andrews’ first year of football.

Aside from the Syracuse offer, the 6’6”, 300-pound athlete is also hearing from Auburn and Rutgers.

“I can definitely say I’m an athletic O-lineman,” Andrews said. “I can run as fast as one of your receivers and definitely secure the run game and do a hell of a job pass setting. What makes me different is definitely my speed, tbh. That’s what stands out about my game.”

Syracuse secondary coach Nick Monroe is the Orange’s lead recruiter, and has already formed a connection with Andrews.

“The coaching staff I’ve met so far is definitely cool and nice people,” Andrews said. “I can’t wait to meet the whole team. I definitely like the Syracuse program and I can’t wait to see more.”

SU football roster: Predicting where Orange stands at each position next season (PS; $; Leiker)

Dino Babers said Monday he “absolutely” sees Syracuse football’s upcoming Pinstripe Bowl appearance as a preseason game for 2023.

It makes sense. Syracuse looks to return a decent chunk of its starters, save for a few key players. Bowl games tend to see a lot of new faces on the field and give a good look toward the future.

With the transfer portal open until Jan. 19, it’s not out of the question more players could depart SU.

For now, here’s where it looks like the Orange will stand at each position next season.

(The number of players rostered at each position is listed in parentheses and include walk-ons. Numbers are approximate.)

Has sufficient depth

Quarterback (5)

As of Tuesday, Syracuse looks set to return its entire quarterback corp for the 2023 season, including Garrett Shrader.

The starting QB told reporters Monday he plans on returning to Syracuse next year and closing out his college career in an Orange uniform.

In addition to backup Carlos Del Rio-Wilson, who played a full game-and-a-half this season when Shrader was injured, the Orange should have JaCobian Morgan and walk-on Luke McPhail back as other options in the room.

Justin Lamson will be healthy again after a year off, too, and three-star South Carolina quarterback LaNorris Sellers is planning to sign with SU later this month.

Tight end (6)

The Orange got a lot more production out of its tight ends this season than it has in recent memory by switching Oronde Gadsden II from wideout to create more of a flex position.

Gadsden ended up being the sole All-ACC first-team selection at the position and led Syracuse in receiving with 894 yards and six touchdowns on 54 catches.

Syracuse football: first down offense in 2022 (TNIAAM; Wall)

The Syracuse Orange are preparing for their bowl game so we’ll take some time over these next couple of weeks to look back at 2022 and look ahead to 2023.

All year long we’ve looked at the first-down offense to see if the Orange were able to put themselves into position to keep the defense off-balance while setting themselves up for manageable 2nd and 3rd down situations.

Syracuse 2022 1st down offense

Louisville18941213630230
UConn2499107834177
Purdue1568139628164
Virginia1842127030112
Wagner222561016932425
NC State1479103724116
Clemson1280117223152
Notre Dame1326149627122
Pitt7181210619124
Florida State1684732387
Wake Forest16771522531302

Syracuse football vs. Minnesota in The Pinstripe Bowl prediction and odds (PS)

The Syracuse Orange played their way into a berth in the Pinstripe Bowl, and they will face the Minnesota Golden Gophers on Thursday, December 29 at Yankee Stadium. Syracuse’s 7-5 regular season began with a six-game winning streak, featured five losses in a row and ended with a victory over Boston College. Minnesota is 8-4 and has won four of its last five contests.

Our experts have broken down the odds for this ACC-Big Ten matchup, and they are bringing you their best bets and predictions with odds provided by DraftKings .

SYRACUSE ORANGE VS. MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS PREDICTION: Syracuse +7.5 (-110 at DraftKings )

Syracuse finishes eighth in regular season 2022 ACC Power Rankings - The Juice Online (the juice; Vescovi)

With the end of the 2022 ACC regular season, here is a look at where the teams finished in our ACC Power Rankings:

1. Clemson

The Tigers struggled to find a groove this season on offense, but they made a big change in the ACC Championship Game when they pulled DJ
Uiagalelei in exchange for Cade Klubnik. The Tigers seemed to have found the missing link on offense and capped off a great season on a high note. They will be poised to make another title run in 2023 with the group they have returning. Had they not stumbled against in-state rival South Carolina they would probably be playing for the National Title. Instead they will have to settle for the Orange Bowl against Tennessee.

2. Florida State

No one had a better year, in terms of pre-season expectations, than Florida State as the Seminoles put it all together and won nine games for the first time since Jimbo Fisher left in 2017. The team expunged some demons and found the QB to lead them into a 2023 season that will be hyped with Jordan Travis. Florida State will always recruit well but they haven’t put it all together under Mike Norvell. It seems like the days of the old ACC are back with Clemson and Florida state atop the rankings to end the season and most likely to start the next season.

3. NC State

Most teams would kill for the No. 3 spot in the power rankings, but it feels a little hollow for North Carolina State. Entering the season as the pre-season favorites with the pre-season Player of the year… finishing 8-4 is a bummer. The defense was tough all year but the team was unable to survive the loss of QB Devin Leary, who subsequently entered the transfer portal at the end of the season. The team was still tough, beat those who they should have in conference play (excluding the controversial loss to Boston College) and knocked off arch-rival North Carolina. Football is a funny sport and if the ball doesn’t bounce your way, bad things will happen. When the pre-season hype is too large, those things seem to compound. Dave Doeren will head in to an off-season looking for ways to improve his team’s chances of competing in an improved ACC next year.

4. North Carolina

The Tar Heels had a fantastic year by all accounts with Drake Maye bursting on to the scene as the ACC Player of the Year among a number of other accolades. But the team fell short of the top tier in these power rankings, losing their last three games. There is a lot to like about this team heading into 2023 but once again, the defense needs to improve in a hurry. Mack Brown did a fantastic job with this talented roster and has them primed to make a significant jump in the coming years.

5. Louisville

The Cardinals were a tough team all season who struggled at different points, but finished strong winning five of their last seven. The defense improved, the offense gelled and the team looked to take a step forward. For all of their accomplishments in 2022, I ranked the Cardinals at No. 5 with the head-to-head tiebreaker over Pitt. The bad news (maybe good news for some?) is that head coach Scott Satterfield bolted for Cincinnati once the season ended. A familiar face in Louisville in Jeff Brohm returns in what seems like a home-run hire for the Cardinals.

6. Pittsburgh

The 2022 campaign was a disappointing one for the Panthers after the team won the ACC in 2021. They were able to bounce back with a strong November, going 4-0 to finish with a respectable 8-4 record. The offense was never daunting despite a fantastic rushing attack, but the defense was a top unit in the conference once again. There is a lot to build on going in to 2023 but it remains to be seen if the pro-style offensive attack will work in the ACC.

7. Duke

The biggest surprise of the season was without a doubt the Duke Blue Devils. Last year they were arguably the worst team in the conference and this year they turned in an 8-4 campaign as one of the most competitive teams in the ACC. I am excited to see what head coach Mike Elko can do in this offseason to make Duke even better for 2023.

8. Syracuse

The Syracuse Orange started out like house on fire, but then petered off losing five of their last six after starting 6-0. They did pull a big upset over North Carolina State to launch them in to the rankings but the tough schedule got the better of them. They were able to salvage the season with a victory against BC. The team is going to their first bowl game since 2018 and by all accounts had a successful season. I am looking for the Orange to take another incremental step forwards in 2023.

Revisitng Syracuse Football (247sports.com)
  • TexasCard
    Posted on Nov 20th, 6:14 AM, V I P, User Since 246 months ago, User Post Count: 21266

• Nov 20th, 6:14 AMVIP
    • 246 months
    They've lost 5 in a row and sit at 6-5 on the season. I'd say they have reverted to the norm. They caught lightening in a bottle earlier in the year and got lucky winning some of those games. They are what we thought they were.

Unfortunately Louisville didn't do their job early. While we finished much better than we started little excuse to lose to the bottom two teams in the Atlantic and going 2-4 against division foes. With divisions going away we're gonna have to be better and can't lose to these beatable teams. All in all it worked out for Louisville but to take the next step they have to beat these lower level conference foes.

• finalfourcard
    Posted on Nov 20th, 6:17 AM, V I P, User Since 129 months ago, User Post Count: 32149

• Nov 20th, 6:17 AMVIP
    • 129 months

Syracuse is probably bound for the Fenway Bowl

• TexasCard
    Posted on Nov 20th, 6:18 AM, V I P, User Since 246 months ago, User Post Count: 21266

• Nov 20th, 6:18 AMVIP
    • 246 months
    finalfourcard said... (original post) Syracuse is probably bound for the Fenway Bowl
    show more

Suites them perfectly.

JT4YS4BPFBCYFJX5I25S54ZLCA.jpg

Syracuse defensive lineman Steve Linton (17) celebrates after recovering a fumble against Louisville on Sept. 3. Linton entered the NCAA transfer portal Wednesday. Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

SU defensive edge Steve Linton is in the transfer portal (PS; $; Leiker)

Syracuse football has lost its first defensive player from the depth chart to the NCAA transfer portal.

Defensive edge Steve Linton entered the portal Wednesday. He appeared in 11 games for the Orange this season and played 297 snaps. He shared the starting role at the position on SU’s depth chart with teammate Jatius Geer.

Linton was a redshirt sophomore. He should have two seasons of eligibility left and will be immediately able to play wherever her lands due to this being his first transfer.

In SU’s Week 1 win over Louisville, Linton forced and recovered a fumble on Cardinals quarterback Malik Cunningham that put the game to rest in favor of the Orange. He finished the season with 22 total tackles, six tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks and four QB hurries.

While Linton’s return certainly would’ve been welcome for SU’s defense, it still looks to return a healthy crop of starters and backups who saw playing time.

Syracuse has now lost six total players to the portal: wide receivers Dom Foster, Anthony Queeley and Courtney Jackson, defensive lineman Josh Hough and offensive lineman Tyler Magnuson.

ACC News

ACC commissioner calls for major change to college football (on3.com; Staff)

College football has undergone some significant changes in recent years and those changes are only going to continue as conference realignment begins to take place and the College Football Playoffs expand to 12 teams. Is an earlier start to college football season on the horizon?

ACC commissioner Jim Phillips believes that might be in the best interest of the sport at this point.

On Wednesday, The Athletic’s Nicole Auerbach reported on comments Phillips made to that effect.

ACC commissioner Jim Phillips says moving the college football season up to Week 0 is something "we really need to think about" with the expanded CFP and extra games.

That's going to be looked at for the new contract beginning in 2026.
— Nicole Auerbach (@NicoleAuerbach)December 7, 2022

The prevalence of Week 0 games has already increased in recent years as programs continue to hunt for additional exposure opportunities and TV executives look to continue raking on one of the most popular sports in the American purview.

The College Football Playoff officially announced expansion to 12 teams starting in 2024 last week.

With more games on the back half of the schedule coming, the need to bump things forward will exist unless conference games are lopped off or the down time between the end of the regular season and conference championship games and the postseason shrinks.

Earlier start to college football season coming?

The new 12-team playoff format will begin in 2024, meaning if there are significant accompanying schedule changes in college football they’ll need to be discussed and adopted fairly soon.

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article269657186.html (thestate.com; Fowler)

The Clemson football team cruised past North Carolina on Saturday night to secure a seventh ACC championship in eight seasons and an Orange Bowl bid.

And its coaching staff earned a nice payday for the accomplishment, according to contracts obtained by The State through an open records request.

Head coach Dabo Swinney and his 10 on-field assistant coaches earned a combined $900,000 for clinching an ACC championship berth, winning the ACC title and clinching a spot in the Orange Bowl, according to bonuses spelled out in the “Performance Incentives” sections of their contracts with the university.

Working under a new 10-year, $115 million contract that made him second-highest-paid coach in the country behind Alabama’s Nick Saban in September,
Swinney picked up a $50,000 bonus for appearing in the Dec. 3 ACC championship game and a $200,000 bonus for winning it.

Swinney will make an additional $150,000 when his No. 7 Clemson team plays No. 6 Tennessee in the Orange Bowl, one of four College Football Playoff non-semifinal bowls this postseason, on Dec. 30.

Football awards piling up for Manorville's Goncalves at Pitt (greaterlongisland.com; Harmon)

Accolades keep pouring in for Manorville’s Matt Goncalves following his stellar junior season playing offensive tackle on the University of Pittsburgh’s football team.

Earlier today, the Panthers starting left tackle was ranked among the nation’s Top 50 Offensive Tackles by the college sports podcast and YouTube show Big Game Boomer. Goncalves, who contributed to a ground attack that saw his teammate Israel Abanikanda amass over 1,400 yards rushing, was ranked No. 42 on the list.

AP22267718882970.jpg
Pittsburgh offensive lineman Matt Goncalves (76) celebrates with running back Israel Abanikanda (2) after Abanikanda scored his fourth touchdown of there game during the second half of an NCAA college football game against Rhode Island, Saturday, Sept. 24, 2022, in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh won 45-24. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic)

Top 50 Offensive Tackles Of The 2022 Season pic.twitter.com/jRCQGFnSgm
— Big Game Boomer (@BigGameBoomer) December 7, 2022
Earlier this week, the Eastport-South Manor High School graduate received All-ACC First Team honors from Pro Football Focus. Last week, it was announced that Goncalves, who started games at right and left tackle, had earned third-team All-ACC football honors from the conference.

In 2020, Goncalves was named to the Football Writers Association of America’s Freshman All-America Freshman team.

UNC football transfer tracker: Tony Grimes, Cam'Ron Kelly, Jacolby Criswell, more leaving (fayobserver.com; Holland)

The transfer portal tracker is open, UNC football players are jumping in.

Since the floodgates of player movement opened with immediate eligibility starting in the COVID-era of lifted restrictions, the transfer portal has become an essential tool for roster building.

With the Tar Heels (9-4) coming off an ACC championship appearance with a roster loaded with talent, some players will look elsewhere for better opportunities.

Here's a look at who has announced they will enter the portal, with the latest announcements at the top of the list.

Tony Grimes, cornerback

Junior cornerback Tony Grimes, who became the first five-star prospect UNC landed in more than a decade, announced he's entering his name into the transfer portal with two seasons of eligibility remaining.

The Virginia Beach, Virginia native had 36 tackles, seven pass breakups and a forced fumble this season.

Cam'Ron Kelly, defensive back

He came to UNC from Auburn, and now he's off to the portal. Cam'Ron Kelly shined brightest in 2021 against Wake Forest when he picked off Sam Hartman two times in the Tar Heels' win.

Kelly had five punt returns for 64 yards this season as a senior. He had four interceptions in 2021 and one this season, with 49 tackles (30 solo) and two passes defended.

He has one year of eligibility remaining.

UNC football OC Phil Longo leaving for Wisconsin | Report (fayobserver.com; Holland)

After leading one of the most productive offenses in the country this season, UNC offensive coordinator Phil Longo is leaving the Tar Heels to take the same position at Wisconsin, according to a report from The Athletic.

Longo came to UNC from Ole Miss in 2019 when true freshman Sam Howell quarterbacked a Tar Heel offense that averaged 474 yards per game. Running backs Michael Carter and Javonte Williams racked up more than 1,000 all-purpose yards apiece that season, too.

UNC's offensive production went up in 2020, averaging school records of 537.2 yards per game and 41.7 points per game.

Longo made a name for himself at Sam Houston State, where he adopted the Air Raid and directed the highest-scoring offense in the FCS in 2018.

After three years of Howell setting records under center, Longo handed his offense to redshirt freshman QB Drake Maye this season. Once again, the Tar Heels offense was wildly successful, with Maye named the ACC Player of the Year after leading the league in passing yards (4,115), touchdowns (35) and more.

2022 CCG TV Ratings Analysis (RX; HM)

2022 CCG TV Ratings Analysis

Now that things are slowing down just a little, it's time to take a deep breath and analyze what happened this season. We'll start with Conference Championship Game (CCG) TV ratings...

DateTimeConfMatch-upNetwkRtgVwrs
Sat, 12/34:00pSECGeorgia/LSUCBS5.610.89M
Sat, 12/38:00pB1GMichigan/PurdueFox5.510.70M
Sat, 12/3noonXIIKansas St/TCUABC5.39.41M
Fri, 12/28:00pPac12Utah/USCFox3.35.97M
Sat, 12/38:00pACCClemson/UNCABC1.93.47M
Sat, 12/33:30pAACTulane/UCFABC1.52.70M
Sat, 12/34:00pMWCFresno/BoiseFox11.94M
Sat, 12/3noonMACToledo/OhioESPN0.43721k
Sat, 12/34:15pSWACSouthern/JaxStESPN20.23391k
Sat, 12/33:30pSBCCoastal/TroyESPN0.19332k
Just looking at this raw data, you might conclude two things:
1) The Big XII pulled in nearly the same rating as the Big Ten and the SEC, so their TV contract is grossly undervalued!
2) There's a big gap in TV ratings between the Big XII and the ACC - with the Pac-12 about mid-way between - so, being 5th out of 5 power conferenes, the ACC must be trash.

Honestly, neither conclusion is true (although this season the Big XII played better quality football than the ACC, top-to-bottom). To understand TV ratings, you have to consider the factors that go into them. One huge factor: what else was on at the same time? Assuming people only watch one channel at a time, this makes TV viewership a zero-sum game. If we sort by date and time, we get a slightly different picture...

2022 ACC Bowl Factoids (RX; HM)

2022 ACC Bowl Factoids

From the official ACC release of Sunday, December 4, 2022...

Clemson Leads ACC’s Nine-Team Bowl Contingent

Led by league champion Clemson’s seventh appearance in the Capital One Orange Bowl, the Atlantic Coast Conference placed nine teams in football postseason games on Sunday.
This is the 22nd consecutive season in which the ACC earned at least six bowl bids. Not including the pandemic-affected 2020 season, the ACC has sent at least nine teams to a bowl every year since 2016. Since 2013, the ACC is second among all conferences with 100 postseason appearances.
“Congratulations to each of the ACC’s nine bowl eligible teams – including this year’s ACC Champions, the Clemson Tigers – and we look forward to watching them compete during this year’s College Football Playoff New Year’s Six and Bowl Season,” said ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips, Ph.D. “Following an incredibly competitive football season, we look forward to celebrating the many accomplishments of our student-athletes in the postseason.”

Clemson (11-2), which earned a No. 7 CFP national ranking following its 39-10 win over North Carolina in Saturday night’s Subway ACC Football Championship Game, will face No. 6 Tennessee (10-2) on Friday, Dec. 30, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida (8 p.m., ESPN).
In addition to the Tigers’ CFP New Year’s Six selection, ACC Coastal Division champion North Carolina, No. 13 Florida State, No. 23 NC State, Duke, Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse and Wake Forest also received bowl bids on Sunday.

Other

IVXRUU7KIFEOTNDD4OBH5TJUVE.JPG

Cazenovia College has announced it is closing.Google Maps

Cazenovia College to close after nearly 200 years (PS; Moriarty)

Cazenovia College said Wednesday it will permanently close after its spring 2023 semester.

The private Madison County college, which started 199 years ago as the Genesee Seminary, cited financial difficulties for the pending closure.

“We’re deeply disappointed that it has come to this,” Ken Gardiner, chair of the Cazenovia College Board of Trustees, said in a statement. “Considerable time and effort have been spent on improving the college’s financial position over the past several years. Unfortunately, the headwinds and market conditions were insurmountable, leading to a projected deficit of several million dollars for next year.”

The liberal arts school said it will complete its fall 2022 semester as scheduled and will be fully operational in the spring holding classes and events, including athletics and other normally scheduled activities. Graduation for seniors will be held on May 13, 2023 as planned. However, the college will not reopen next fall, it said.

During the spring 2023 semester, the college will assist students with their plans for transferring to another college in the fall, the college said.

Gardiner said the college will not have the funds needed to reopen after the current academic year. The college has 210 employees.

In a news release, the college said the population of college-aged individuals continues to shrink, making it hard for small private colleges like Cazenovia to maintain enrollment levels. Since its peak with nearly 1,000 students on campus, Cazenovia’s enrollment has dropped by over 40%.

It said the “business realities that led to this extremely difficult decision” were accelerated by the global pandemic and skyrocketing inflation.

The college, located 21 miles southeast of Syracuse, said it made large investments in technology and campus safety measures while enrollment dropped with students choosing to postpone college or take a leave of absence, worsening the college’s financial situation.

In addition, the recent uncertainty in the bond and stock markets made it “exceedingly difficult” to refinance the college’s bond debt which came due in September, it said.

“Being a small college without a large endowment has made the college’s challenges formidable,” said college President David Bergh. “We have worked tirelessly to strengthen the financial position of the college through fundraising campaigns, adding graduate offerings, streamlining transfer pathways, and exploring alternative options. Unfortunately, these efforts did not create results to ensure long-term viability for the college.”

In September, the college defaulted on a $25 million bond payment after an effort to refinance the debt failed.

The college borrowed the $25 million via bonds issued in 2019 by the Madison County Capital Resource Corp. to refinance long-term debt and a line-of-credit, as well as fund deferred maintenance projects and capital improvements to its small campus off Seminary Street in the village of Cazenovia.

All outstanding principal of $24.92 million was originally due on Sept. 1, but the college said in a filing that it did not have “sufficient liquid resources” to make the payment. The maturity date was extended to Oct. 1, but the college was unable to obtain new financing by then, either.