Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant

Welcome to the 20th Anniversary of the 2003 Syracuse NC!

‘Will to Win’: Syracuse Basketball’s Unlikely Rise from Underdogs to 2003 NCAA Champions (youtube; video; Syracuse.com)

Today is the 20th anniversary of the 2003 Syracuse NC Win.

"Will to Win: Syracuse Basketball's Unlikely Rise from Underdogs to National Champs" is a groundbreaking syracuse.com documentary featuring never-before-seen, behind-the-scenes accounts from every scholarship player and coach of the 2003 NCAA championship team, including Carmelo Anthony, Gerry McNamara and Jim Boeheim.

SU News

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/maxime-latendresse-recaps-awesome-syracuse-visit (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football hosted several recruits over the weekend, including a bunch of Canadian prospects in the 2024, 2025 and 2026 classes. One of them was 2026 wide receiver/tight end Maxime Latendresse.

"It was honestly awesome," Latendresse said. "One of the best experiences I've had football wise. We visited the different domes and turfs and we had a meeting with the coaches. We also got to watch the practice, which was one of my favorite parts because I loved seeing the level of play and what I have to compete against. Overall, a great experience and I would love to be there one day."

Spending time with the Orange coaches was a highlight of the visit.

"I met the receivers coach, coach Johnson," Latendresse said. "He was telling me to work on the little things that are important and mental toughness. I also mead the head coach, coach Babers. He was telling us about how he likes recruiting players from Quebec and more about the Syracuse program. The importance of your academics. I also met the recruiting coach and he says he loves my tape and would like for me to come back for a camp in the summer. Great experience."

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/connor-oconnell-raves-about-syracuse-visit (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football hosted several prospects over the weekend for unofficial visits, including 2026 Canadian quarterback Connor O'Connell.

"It was an amazing experience," O'Connell said. "We watched their first spring scrimmage, had a tour of the new facility, got to go into meetings with the positional coaches and last but not least we had a photo shoot. The best part of it was definitely getting the full explanation of what Syracuse has to offer. Getting to know how great of an educational system the university has and what great opportunities attending Syracuse will get you for your future career."

The 6-0, 170 pounder spent time with the Syracuse staff on the visit.

"Coach Gino (Director of Recruiting Gino Gigliotti) was the one who guided us through most of our tour and explained to us about the history and what is to come in the future of the school," O'Connell said. "Coach Lynch came to talk to us at the auditorium about what he expects of his players and how the football family works. I went into a private meeting with coach Beck to look over some footage of the practice and we corrected from the QBs point of view.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/richard-mulhern-unofficial-visit-interview-040223 (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2024 offensive lineman Richard Mulhern out of Mt. Zion in Virginia spent Saturday on the Syracuse campus getting a closer look at the Orange football program.

"It was great," Mulhern said. "I had a super good time. Love the facilities, Dome and hospitality. What I got to do was watch practice, tour the facilities, go to the Dome, talk with coach Farmer and coach Babers, try on the uniform. The best part for me was talking to coach Farmer and coach Babers because it made me get a really good feel for the coaches and how everything is ran."

Meeting with offensive line coach Steve Farmer was a highlight of the visit.

"The meeting with coach Farmer was good," Mulhern said. "We talked about how the offense works and what they run. I learned more about what he really wants in an offensive lineman."

As was meeting with head coach Dino Babers.

"It was super good meeting him," Mulhern said. "He's a really good guy and I know he, for sure, cares about the football team being a family. At Syracuse, they say La Familia."

Syracuse football to get visit from 4-star wide receiver, top-250 prospect (itlh; Adler)

One of the best wide receivers across the country in the junior class plans to make a trip to Syracuse football in the coming weeks.

SyracuseOnSI publisher Mike McAllister reports that 2024 four-star WR and top-250 national prospect Jason Robinson from California expects to take an unofficial visit to the Orange on April 12, which is terrific to hear.

The 5-foot-11, 160-pound Robinson is a junior at Long Beach Polytechnic High School in Long Beach, Calif. Multiple recruiting services rate him as a four-star prospect and a top-50 wide receiver in the 2024 cycle.

Last September, Robinson committed to Southern California out of the Pac-12 Conference. But in February of 2023, he de-committed from USC and reopened his recruitment back up. Robinson said on Feb. 9, 2023, that he had received a scholarship offer from the ‘Cuse.

After a Great talk with coach @WRCoachmj & him speaking with my family! honored to say I’ve been offered by (Syracuse University)@CuseFootball @CoachBabersCuse pic.twitter.com/ktRm0nnyZE
— JASON ROBINSON JR (@JasonR0binsonJR) February 9, 2023

According to , Robinson has picked up nearly 30 offers throughout his recruiting process.

Syracuse football will soon welcome 2024 four-star WR Jason Robinson on an unofficial visit.

Per various recruiting services, his offer sheet includes two-time defending national champion Georgia, Arizona, Arizona State, California, Cincinnati, Colorado, Florida State, Miami, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, TCU, USC, Utah, Washington State, Penn State and Washington, among others.

TNIAAM reacts: talking Syracuse men’s basketball transfers and Spallina’s goals (TNIAAM; Wall)

Sorry for the delay in last week’s survey results Syracuse Orange fans. but here is what you told us.

News that Joe Girard would be entering the transfer portal wasn’t a surprise to most of you. How many of you would have expected he’d be talking with Mike Hopkins and Washington though?

ACC News

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...s-return-most-starters-production-talent-2023 (athlonsports.com; Lassan)

Spring practice is in full swing across college football, and while the early workouts won't tell us a ton about how the teams stack up for 2023, it does give us our first insight into the rosters and depth charts for all 133 programs. With rosters mostly finalized for the upcoming season, every team's returning starters, talent and production coming back should be known for '23. With transfers and the full recruiting class not all arriving until the fall, the spring workouts are only a partial glimpse at how teams will officially look for the upcoming season. However, this data will tell us quite a bit about all of the teams in the ACC.

The ACC won't have its Atlantic and Coastal Division setup going forward, as all 14 teams will compete for two spots in the conference title game. That change is significant, as the two preseason favorites (Clemson and Florida State) could meet twice in '23. North Carolina, Louisville, Miami, Duke and NC State are among the teams in the second tier looking to push the Tigers and Seminoles for a spot in Charlotte next December.

What does the data on returning starters, production, transfers and talent tell us what's to come in the ACC this fall? Let's dive into the numbers:

ACC Football: Which Teams Return the Most Starters, Production and Talent for 2023?

Returning Starters

OffenseDefenseOverall
Boston College8513
Clemson7815
Duke9817
Florida State8816
Georgia Tech5611
Louisville369
Miami5712
North Carolina6814
NC State5611
Pitt6511
Syracuse5813
Virginia369
Virginia Tech6511
Wake Forest5510

Ranking ACC football teams by their all-time win percentage (usatoday.com; Turri)

The ACC is a Power Five conference with a long history of success in many sports, including college football.

Dabo Swinney and the Clemson football program have recently been the top dogs in the ACC, winning seven of the last eight ACC championships while adding two national championship wins over Nick Saban and the Alabama Crimson Tide. The Tigers have been one of the best programs in the country over the past decade.

Buy Tigers Tickets
However, this hasn’t always been the case, with top-tier programs such as Florida State and Miami having some excellent history of their own, even if they haven’t been as great as the Tigers during the Swinney era. Football in the ACC has a rich history, with some of the best teams of all time coming from the conference.

Here is a look at how each team in the ACC ranks according to their all-time win percentage.

1 Florida State Seminoles

Overall rank: No.12
Win %: .666
Record: (568-280-17)

2 Miami Hurricanes

Overall ranking: No.18
Win %: .626
Record: (648-383-19)

3 Clemson Tigers

Overall ranking: No.21
Win %: .623
Record: (789-468-45)

4 Virginia Tech Hokies

Credit: Reinhold Matay-USA TODAY Sports
Overall ranking: No.25
Win %: .602
Record: (766-498-46)

5 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Overall ranking: No.35
Win %: .581
Record: (749-534-43)

6 Pittsburgh Panthers

Overall ranking: No.38
Win %: .577
Record: (758-551-42)

7 Boston College Eagles

Overall rank: No.47
Win %: .570
Record: (691-517-37)

8 Syracuse Orange

Overall rank: No.51
Win %: .562
Record: (737-570-49)

How the Big Ten’s search for next commish could impact the ACC (theclemsoninsider.com; Potter)

The Big Ten is looking for its next boss, but the search has the potential to affect more than just one Power Five conference.

Kevin Warren spent more than three years heading up the Big Ten. Among his highlights as the league’s commissioner are a historic media rights deal struck late last year and helping the conference reach beyond its geographical footprint with the recent addition of Southern California and UCLA as part of the latest round of league realignment.

Now he’s in the NFL. Warren in January was hired as the president and chief executive officer of the Chicago Bears, leaving behind some big shoes to fill. And if the conference’s search goes in the direction some believe it could, the ACC might also need a replacement at the top of its organization.

Jim Phillips is reportedly among the leading candidates to succeed Warren, and understandably so. Phillips is just a little more than two years into his tenure as the ACC’s commissioner, but he’s also a Chicago native who has deep ties to the Big Ten and the Midwest region of the country that the majority of its member institutions call home. A graduate of the University of Illinois, Phillips was the athletic director at the University of Northern Illinois in the mid-2000s and had a decade-long run as the director of athletics at Northwestern University before the ACC came calling in 2021.

There’s also the more solid footing the Big Ten has within the evolving landscape of major college athletics. The SEC got the ball rolling on realignment when it poached name brands Texas and Oklahoma from the Big 12 last summer. Those expansions, effective in 2024, brought with them new television contracts for the Big Ten and SEC that further widens the financial gap between those leagues and the ACC, which, at least for the time being, is stuck in its grant-of-rights deal with ESPN through 2036.

Should those all be reasons enough for Phillips to leave the ACC assuming the Big Ten makes him its primary target, the ACC would be losing one of its biggest ambassadors both publicly and privately.

Phillips helped form an alliance with the Big Ten and Pac-12 with the idea of giving the three leagues a louder voice in the proverbial room, though what was essentially a gentlemen’s agreement among them ultimately failed. He listened to the concerns of his own administrators, coaches and student-athletes when it came to expanding the College Football Playoff, which was one of the reasons why the ACC initially voted against expansion before eventually coming around.

With the ACC’s future seemingly in peril, the league will need just as strong of an advocate at the forefront should it come to that, and it doesn’t figure to be much longer until the league finds out whether or not it will. Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs recently told The Knight Report podcast that there is “confidence” within the Big Ten that its next commissioner will be in place by the end of May.

"I think we’re in a good spot:" FSU showcases depth in back-and-forth second scrimmage (tomahawknation.com; TNN)

For its ninth spring practice of 2023, the Florida State Seminoles underwent its second scrimmage of camp, with head coach Mike Norvell pleased with the back and forth competition displayed by his squad.

“It’s what you’re hopeful to see with a team that has the depth and the experience that we have, [as well as] some of the newcomers that have joined us bringing great competition,” he said to the media following the outing.

He took time to compliment quarterback Jordan Travis’ effort and work, noting that he strung together an impressive 12-play drive on a day in which there was an established intention to get him extra work.

“He’s getting better. And when you’re your best players are improving, i’s definitely exciting for what’s ahead.”

“One of his great talents is understanding — you see the confidence and building that with the guys that are around him, whether it’s the running game, passing game, in all things.”

You can read Norvell’s openings statement below and as well as catch his full interview where he details his takeways, Travis’ impressive day on and off the field, who stood out on the defense and more.

Good morning, everybody. Coming off a scrimmage here today, I thought it was another good opportunity guys took advantage of. Had been 110 plays — I think it’s a 50 plays with the ones, 45 roughly with the twos and then 15 with a third group. Trying to get a look at everybody, where they are after a couple of weeks of practice. Good amount of install, you’re trying to see guys, you get out and operate. ACC officials here today, [the team] did a much better job and limiting penalties. There are still some things that showed up that we got to get better at and continue to trust our technique with but all in all, I thought it was cleaner in regards to that. It was good to see still different combinations.
Jordan, I mentioned the other day was gonna get some work. We planned on on him having a couple series. We went out first series, I think he put together a 12-play drive extremely efficient. Did a wonderful job marching the ball down for a touchdown. We got him 12 plays and provided a great opportunity for other guys to continue to get work. Jordan’s coming off, you know, going back and watching Thursday’s practice, was really pleased with just all things that he’s doing and playing at a high level. Was good today just starting off to see him go out and play there. I guess he got probably 15-16 plays.

Other

TMIIKFY4TRBKBOTN3L5VODP6EU.jpg

Gino Epifani, the owner of Holy Cow! Cheese Steaks & Fish Fry in Marcellus. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)Charlie Miller

First Look: CNY cheesesteak pioneer unretires to open, you guessed it, a cheesesteak restaurant (PS; $; Miller)

After 30 years in the restaurant business, Gino Epifani decided it was time to retire. He sold his wildly successful sandwich shop, Gino’s Steak & Onion in Fayetteville, in 2020 and enjoyed some much-earned rest.

Well, that didn’t last long. After his three-year nap, Gino is back to doing what he does best: Making cheesesteaks.

“I got bored,” said Gino, now 58. “This is what I do. This is what I know. This is what I love.”

Holy Cow Cheesesteaks & Fish Fry opened last Monday at 3 North St. in Marcellus. It’s just off Main Street in the heart of downtown, about a 30-second walk from the Village Tavern.

This is the latest restaurant from a family of Central New York cheesesteak pioneers. Gino’s sister, Nancy, was among the first to bring such a sandwich to Syracuse, through her Taste of Philly restaurant in Eastwood. Gino brought them to the eastern suburbs at Gino’s Steak & Onion. Josh Amidon bought that when Gino retired and said the cheesesteak continues to be a best-seller.