Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
canadian-insults-you-shouldnt-say-in-canada.jpg
Shutterstock

Welcome to National Poutine Day!

In Canada, particularly in Quebec, poutine is a staple food, if not also an iconic one. It has become a popular food in America as well as in other countries, and we celebrate it today, on National Poutine Day. Standard poutine is made up of fresh-cut french fries, squeaky fresh cheese curds, and brown gravy, but there are many variations of the dish. Among other possibilities, the name may have come from the word "pudding," which is spelled pouding in French, or from poutine, which is slang for "mess" in Quebec. It is pronounced "pou-tin" in the French-dominated regions of Quebec and New Brunswick, but as "poo-teen" elsewhere.

SU News

Syracuse football projected defensive depth chart: Not many new names to learn (PS; $; Lieker)

For at least the second straight season, Syracuse football’s defensive depth chart is set to feature mostly returning names.

Sixteen of the 22 players on the defensive depth chart for SU’s bowl game are poised to grace it again come Week 1 of the 2023 season.

And several of the open spots will likely go back to players who lost them because of injury last year, like Stefon Thompson’s starting linebacker spot or Terry Lockett’s spot in the defensive line depth.

The consistency among player personnel makes up for an absolute lack of it among coaching personnel on the defensive side of the ball, as defensive line coach Chris Achuff is the only one to remain on staff from last season.

The Orange defense finished No. 21 in the country in total defense and No. 14 in passing yards allowed. Four of its top 5 tacklers — Marlowe Wax, Justin Barron, Alijah Clark and Kevon Darton — return to the team this year, as does sack leader Caleb Okechukwu.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/noah-rosahac-commits-to-syracuse-discusses-decision (SIl McAlllister)

Syracuse football has added its first offensive lineman in the 2024 class as Jim Thorpe (PA) Area High standout Noah Rosahac committed to the Orange on Monday. He announced the decision on social media. The 6-5, 270 pounder chose Syracuse over offers from Virginia Tech, Temple and others.

"I picked Syracuse because I believe it's the best fit for me," Rosahac said. "It checked off every box on my list and I could really see myself at this program."

Rosahac said he has been thinking about committing to Syracuse ever since the Orange offered in January.

"I think after they first offered me a few months ago I was thinking on the car ride home about playing in the JMA Dome and how cool it would be playing power five football," Rosahac said. "It made me realize that I'm a priority there and Syracuse made me feel like I was at home."

Both of Rosahac's parents signed off on his decision as well.

"They fully agree with my decision," Rosahac said. "They gave their thoughts about Syracuse and they love everything about it as well."

The next step was to inform the Syracuse coaches he was ready to join the program.

11486777_9636ceec6fe74af3b49087fe98380ffa.jpg

Hudl

Syracuse football earns commitment from 2024 lineman (PS; Lieker)

Syracuse football received a verbal commitment from lineman Noah Rosahac on Monday.

Rosahac, who plays both sides of the line for Jim Thorpe Area High School in Pennsylvania, announced his commitment via Twitter. He is unranked by 247 Sports.

Rosahac (6-foot-5, 270 pounds) had offers from nine schools besides SU, including Temple and Virginia Tech. He visited Syracuse two weekends ago on April 1.

The fourth commit in the Orange’s 2024 recruiting class, Roshac joins wide receiver Syair Torrence, running back Trashon Dye and linebacker Travon Dye. Syracuse had also previously had a commitment from running back Sam Cooper, but he reopened his recruitment.

Syracuse football lands commitment from talented 2024 offensive lineman (itlh; Thomas)

Noah Rosahac, a 2024 offensive lineman from Jim Thorpe, Pa., has committed to play collegiate football in Central New York, as he announced on Twitter that he will be playing for Syracuse football.

The 6-foot-5, 270-pound Rosahac, who is a junior at Jim Thorpe Area High School, received his first Power 5 scholarship offer from the Orange on February 16, according to his Twitter page.

Throughout his recruiting process as a member of the 2024 class, Rosahac has picked up more than 10 offers. His offer sheet, besides the Orange, included Virginia Tech, Columbia, Dartmouth, James Madison, Lafayette, Lehigh, UMass, Penn, Temple, Coastal Carolina and Villanova.

Under Rosahac’s bio on , teams that reportedly showed interest in him included a few big-time programs, such as Notre Dame, Penn State, Pittsburgh and West Virginia.

Are We Approaching A Make It Or Break It Season For Dino Babers? (orangefizz.net; Griffin)

It feels like we ask this question every year, doesn’t it? But this year, it might be more true than ever. Coming off a season in which Syracuse started 6-0, you would think Dino Babers’ job is secure for the foreseeable future, right? Not so fast. A pathetic 1-6 ending to the season led media and fans alike to think otherwise. As the extension Babers signed through 2024 a few years ago nears its end, if the ball bounces a certain way it’ll be the last we see of him on the SU sidelines.

Throughout Babers’ career (and this light has shined brighter over the past few seasons), the month of November has not been friendly. That cannot happen this year if the Orange want to go bowling again. It’s going to be a lot to ask to beat Clemson, Florida State, or North Carolina (the last two are on the road). Assuming SU beats the three non-Power Five foes it faces in 2023, it has six games left, all of which are either on the road or in November. This represents a golden opportunity for Babers to squash those demons, but it could also be a sad ending to his career in Central New York.

ACC News

Donavon Greene hopes to continue Wake Forest’s All-ACC streak (wfmynews2.com; video)

Wake has had an All-ACC wide receiver for each of the past four football seasons and Triad alum Greene looks to continue that streak in 2023.

Packer talks Clemson, 'the million-dollar question' & more (theclemsoninsider.com; Staff)

On ACC Network’s ACC PM show, the co-hosts recently discussed “one question you need answered” for each team in the conference.

For Clemson, that question posed was, “What will be the dynamic between Garrett Riley and Cade Klubnik?”

Mark Packer, one of the aforementioned show’s co-hosts, weighed in.

“The big question’s gonna be Garrett Riley, right, what’s Clemson’s offense gonna look like,” Packer said. “Cade Klubnik’s back, they actually have a lot of pieces back. A lot. Not as much as Florida State, who has more back than anybody else in the Football Bowl Subdivision. But the Tigers have a lot of pieces back from an ACC Championship and Orange Bowl berth. But the Garrett Riley system is going to be the million-dollar question.”

Packer is also curious to see how Clemson’s wideouts perform this season.

“For me, it’s going to be the wide receiver play for the Tigers,” he said. “I mean, we were so used to seeing all-world wide receivers, and I think that is one area of Clemson Football that has not been – I don’t care what the system is, but the wide receiver play has not been as good the last couple years. So, who develops? There’s some pieces from a year ago.”

One of the most notable differences between Riley’s new offense and what Clemson previously ran under former coordinators Brandon Streeter and Tony Elliott is the thickness of the playbook. Klubnik recalled there being as many as 80 plays on the call sheet for one game last season, but Klubnik said he expects the Tigers to carry less than half of that into games on Riley’s watch.

Clemson fans will get a glimpse of Riley’s offense in the upcoming Orange vs. White Spring Game at Death Valley on Saturday, April 15.

If Cade Klubnik struggles in Clemson football’s new offense in the spring game, recall Tajh Boyd's debut (greenvilleonline.com; Keepfer)

After watching Tajh Boyd complete only eight of his 24 passes in Clemson’s 2011 spring football game, my immediate conclusion was “Uh-oh. The Tigers might be in trouble at quarterback.”

Shows how much I knew.

Boyd was making his debut in the up-tempo offense brought to the program by new offensive coordinator Chad Morris, much like young quarterbacks Cade Klubnik and Chris Vizzina will be doing Saturday in Clemson’s 2023 spring game.

Klubnik and Vizzina will showcase how much they’ve mastered the up-tempo “air raid” offense recently introduced by first-year offensive coordinator Garrett Riley.

Despite some early struggles in the transition, things turned out just fine for Boyd, who seven months later put the finishing touches on a season in which he passed for 3,800 yards and 33 touchdowns. He went on to be ACC Player of the Year in 2012 and left Clemson as the ACC career record holder in passing yards and passing touchdowns.

But it was that spring game performance that showed Boyd and Morris what the Tigers’ quarterback for the next three seasons needed to work on to live up to expectations.

From Florida State to Ohio State, drafting college football sure things for 2023: College Football Survivor Show (PS; podcast; Lesmerises)

On this episode of The College Football Survivor Show, Doug Lesmerises and Shehan Jeyarajah draft the 10 sure-thing teams in college football under their points formula, and they revisit the last time they did it.

The formula is this: A point for making a conference title game, another point for winning it, a point for making the playoff, and another point for winning it all.

Georgia earned four points last year, Michigan three, and no other teams more than two.

Other

VPUNPDIXIJGSLOXYTSIR5JXCMA.JPG

New York State Lt. Gov. Robert Duffy announces SUNY Upstate's joint venture with Cor Development to develop the former Kennedy Square site in Syracuse, Dec. 1, 2011. (Dick Blume/The Post Standard)

SUNY Upstate didn’t want you to know this: What it paid Cor Development to get back state land (PS; Knauss)

SUNY Upstate Medical University refused for months to say how much it cost the state medical school to wriggle out of a failed deal with Cor Development Co. The deal left eight acres of prime city land sitting vacant for a decade.

SUNY Upstate denied Freedom of Information requests for the terms of its recent out-of-court settlement with Cor. The university paid Cor to give up claims to state property at the site of the former Kennedy Square housing complex just east of downtown Syracuse.

SUNY Upstate paid $2.3 million to Cor in September.

The payment was a costly finale to a deal between the state university and a private developer that was based on blue-sky promises of development. When the development never came, the state was forced to pay Cor to regain control over the land. For Cor, it was a big payoff for little work.

Asked how the settlement amount was determined, Upstate spokesman Darryl Geddes said only that “the parties reached the settlement amount following mediation.’’

Cor officials did not respond to a request for comment.

Big promises

University officials in 2012 signed a no-bid deal that gave politically connected Cor Development control over -- and 75% ownership of -- state property at the Kennedy Square site. Through its nonprofit real estate corporation, Upstate retained a 25% share.

Their joint venture was supposed to create $300 million in new development and create hundreds of jobs.

In effect, Upstate officials claimed it was none of the public’s business.

Despite those denials, Syracuse.com|The Post-Standard discovered that the settlement cost the university seven figures, not counting legal fees.