Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to National DNA Day!

National DNA Day is an annual, global celebration of the discovery of the DNA double helix structure. This year is extra special! People across the world on April 25, 2023 will commemorate both the 20th anniversary of the Human Genome Project’s completion and the 70th anniversary of the discovery of the DNA double helix.

SU News

Tucker does limited drills at personal pro day on Syracuse campus (PS; Leiker)

Sean Tucker’s personal pro day took place Monday morning on Syracuse University’s campus.

Scouts from the Buffalo Bills, New York Giants, New York Jets and Arizona Cardinals were present.

Tucker did the bench press, vertical jump and assorted running and receiving drills for the scouts in attendance. He did not run the 40-yard dash, shuttles or do the three-cone drill.

The former Syracuse football running back was held out of the NFL Combine and SU’s official Pro Day in March after he was medically flagged at the former event. He was medically cleared last weekend, though it’s unclear by whom.

There’s been little revealed about the medical exemption otherwise.

Tucker’s agent, personal trainer and father all did not return calls from syracuse.com on Sunday ahead of his pro day. His trainer has ignored multiple requests for comment on even matters outside Tucker’s health status since late January.

Though Tucker is still projected to be drafted this weekend, his stock has slipped over the past six weeks. Last week, ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. wrote that Tucker was his favorite running back prospect but that his health status makes “his stock hard to predict.”

In the most recent seven-round mock draft from ESPN, Tucker did not fall until midway through the sixth round.

Giants one of four teams at workout by Syracuse RB Sean Tucker (bigbluereview.com; Valentine)

The New York Giants, who could be in the market for a running in the middle to late portions of the 2023 NFL Draft, were one of four teams in attendance Monday at a workout held by former Syracuse running back Sean Tucker.

According to Tony Pauline of Pro Football Network, the Giants, New York Jets, Buffalo Bills and Arizona Cardinals attended the workout.

Tucker is third all time in Syracuse history in rushing yards (3,182) and holds the single season record for his 1,496 yard performance in 2021. He was not able to participate in the NFL Combine due to a medical exclusion.

Tucker, though, was recently cleared. Pauline said Tucker did not run a 40-yard dash during Monday’s workout.

In his prospect profile, BBV’s Chris Pflum wrote this about Tucker:

“Sean Tucker projects as a starting running back at the NFL level – or at least a primary back in an active rotation.

“He has a very well-rounded skill set and can do pretty much everything a modern offense requires from a runner. He is consistent enough to keep an offense on schedule, has the vision, agility, and explosiveness to be a big-play threat, and can be a legitimate weapon in the passing game.”

Tucker has a fourth-round grade on the Big Blue View Big Board.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article274350295.html (charlotteobserver.com; Kaye)

Before Garrett Williams aspired to roam the secondary of an NFL defense, the Charlotte-born cornerback dreamed of leading big scoring drives on offense.

Entering his junior year at Hickory Ridge High School in Harrisburg, Williams was a quarterback competing for a starting job. But during a spring 7-on-7 tournament, a teammate’s injury completely changed Williams’ football fate.

“We didn’t have anybody to go in (at defensive back) and my defensive coordinator asked me if I wanted to try it out,” Williams said. “And then I went over there, and I think I finished with five interceptions on the weekend, and then after that I just stuck there.”

Williams’ switch to the secondary ultimately put him on a path to the pros.

The 5-foot-11, 192-pound cornerback parlayed his position swap into a breakout two-year stretch for the Hickory Ridge Ragin’ Bulls. Williams then became a standout in a Syracuse secondary that featured three future NFL defensive backs. And while a torn ACL stunted his final season with the Orange, Williams still put enough highlight-reel material on his college film to be considered a potential Day 2 pick in this year’s draft class.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...cmonigle-syracuse-spring-game-visit-interview (SI; McAllister)

One of the recruits in attendance for Syracuse football's annual spring game was 2024 York (PA) William Penn offensive lineman Michael McMonigle. McMonigle was offered by Syracuse in January.

"I really loved the coaching staff and the environment," McMonigle said. "I got to spend time with coach Babers and coach Farmer. Coach Guard gave us a tour of the Lally Athletics Complex. Then we went to watch the spring game. I had not been to the Dome and it was awesome."

That time with the Syracuse coaches was an especially impactful part of the visit.

"Both coach Babers and coach Farmer are genuine and fun to be around," McMonigle said. "They have created a warm and welcoming culture within the Syracuse football program that I really enjoyed. We talked about our families, the recruiting process and my goals both in the classroom and on the football field. We also scheduled my official visit for June (9th). They definitely made me feel like a priority to them. The entire coaching staff seems like an incredible group of coaches to learn from."

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...essed-with-look-and-feel-of-syracuse-on-visit (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2025 Ramsey (NJ) Don Bosco athlete Nolan James was in attendance Friday night when Syracuse football held its annual Spring Game. That was part of an unofficial visit in which the 5-11, 190 pounder got a closer look at the program.

"It was a lot of fun," James said. "I really liked it. We took a facility tour then we drove over to campus and walked through all of campus. We ate at Varsity and then watched the Spring Game. The best parts of the tour for me were the facilities even though they are getting completely redone. I'm sure they will be even nicer. I also really liked the look and feel on campus. It was very lively and all the buildings had a cool historic look to them."

Being able to get a feel for Syracuse's schemes was a highlight of watching the Spring Game.

"I liked the Spring Game," James said. "There was a lot of energy from the team and even the fans. The offensive style stood out to me. I liked their play style."

A recent hire to the support staff was something James noticed.

"I think the beset part was the cafeteria that was only for football, no other sport," James said. "And that they just hired a nutritionist that handles everything from vitamins to meals. Another thing that stood out was that the campus was enclosed. Everything you need is right there."

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...williams-recaps-visit-looking-official-summer (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2024 Westlake Village (CA) Oaks Christian wide receiver is one of the most coveted prospects in California. The 6-4 wideout holds offers from Boston College, Indiana, Michigan State, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Utah, Washington and Washington State, among others. Williams, the son of former Orange standout tight end Roland Williams, recently visited Syracuse.

"The visit went great," Williams said. "Everyone was extremely nice to me. While I was on campus, I visited all of the football facilities and most of the academic campus. I think both the facilities and the campus are top of the line, especially with all the new construction that has and is going to take place. The atmosphere is what really stands out to me. How everyone is extremely welcoming and very kind."

During the visit, Williams was able to spend time and bond with the Syracuse coaches.

"All of them said mostly the same things," Williams said. "That 'we are excited to have you here' and 'let's build a future here at Syracuse.'

Syracuse Football: My thoughts on the Orange after the spring game (itlh; Fiello)

Spring is in the air…well it’s Syracuse so winter still is too I guess, but as the Syracuse football team wound down the spring practice session with the spring game last Friday night, I thought I’d share a few thoughts.

Please remember it’s merely April and the season doesn’t even start until September 2nd against Colgate. That said, even though I was at work and missed it, I did some research and have some quick thoughts.

Here are my thoughts on Syracuse football after the spring game.

– Spring games are for fans and for fun. You can’t take them too seriously and hope to avoid injuries. But you can also watch players trying to earn some reps showing what they can do in a game situation. So don’t take it too seriously but also enjoy your time and early access.

– Is there anything they could do to attract more fans? Would anything they do attract more fans? Is it okay if only a couple hundred or even a couple thousand attend? I’ll say this, if you’re curious about season tickets, getting your kids to meet players or just a diehard Syracuse fan, this is a great opportunity. But unless it’s an “event” of some sort, I just don’t see getting a lot of people there unfortunately. I’d planned to attend myself but had to change plans starting a new job and couldn’t afford to put it off starting any longer financially and realize many have similar circumstances.

– Am I a homer or does it look like this team might just have legitimate depth when it comes to the quarterback, running back and wide receiver positions? I mean a healthy Garrett Shrader is starting so it’s not a competition but I think Lamson and Del Rio-Wilson will do well if their number is called.

1431163739.0.jpg

Photo by Bryan Bennett/Getty Images

Syracuse football: spring scrimmage thoughts (TNIAAM; Wall)

The Syracuse Orange football team ended their spring practice with an open practice at the JMA Wireless Dome on Friday night. While I’ll get to the event itself later on, I did have some thoughts about the football we witnessed.

Offense

I came away from Friday night believing that Justin Lamson and Carlos Del-Rio Wilson can play and win games in the ACC. Lamson seems well-suited for a quick, short passing game while CDRW demonstrated better poise than we saw last season. If Syracuse can keep them both, it’ll set up for an interesting battle the next couple of years.

Oronde Gadsden is going to see the ball a lot this year, but will someone emerge to take on the #2 role? Isaiah Jones and D’Marcus Adams should find themselves facing a lot of single coverage and could be a big key to the offense. There are definitely young players at the skill positions to be excited about as Umari Hatcher and Kendall Long showed on Friday.

Not to sound like a broken record, but Syracuse has to avoid being forced to use a TE and FB to help pass protect this season. If the offensive line is not holding up in the fall, it might be better for the Orange to go five wide and try to move the ball quickly rather than max protect and limit passing options. If David Clement and Steven Mahar can be competent blockers, they could earn more snaps as both present better receiving options than Max Mang.

Adam Terry "The 315" 4-24-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Syracuse football color analyst Adam Terry joins Brian Higgins to discuss the Spring Game, including his biggest positives and negative from Friday night. Plus, a look at where Syracuse's draft eligible players could hear their names called this weekend

30 Minutes in Orange Nation (ESPN; radio; Orange Nation)

Paulie Scibilia and Steve Infanti open the show debating whether Syracuse men’s lacrosse or football showed more improvement this season. Then, Paulie recaps the Spring Game and makes a plea. Lastly, Jordan Capozzi joins them in studio to discuss the latest NBA Playoff games.

‎Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball: Syracuse Football Draft Preview - Can Bergeron, Williams, Tucker and Jones All Get Picked? on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse Football Draft Preview - Can Bergeron, Williams, Tucker and Jones All Get Picked?

‎Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball: Weekend Recap: New Potential Basketball Big Man, Football Spring Game + Lacrosse Update on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Weekend Recap: New Potential Basketball Big Man, Football Spring Game + Lacrosse Update

Syracuse Orange 2023 NFL Draft Prospects: Bergeron, Williams & Tucker (PS; Lammey)

The NFL Draft is just days away, yet nothing feels set in stone. There is still plenty of speculation as to where the top QBs will be selected and potential trades that are looming. While QBs get the majority of the attention, teams also know offensive lineman protecting them are essential, such as Syracuse’s Matthew Bergeron. He’s just one of the Syracuse Orange 2023 NFL Draft prospects we’re focused on in this article.

We have three guys on our radar, and we’ll provide you with our projections for each of the top Syracuse Orange 2023 NFL Draft prospects and how you can also enjoy the event by joining Caesars .

Syracuse Orange NFL Draft prospects overview

Outside of the QB position, offensive lineman is generally one of the most coveted positions in the NFL. Therefore, it’s no surprise that our Syracuse Orange 2023 NFL Draft prospects begin with Bergeron. However, he’s not the only NFL-caliber player coming out of Syracuse.

The Orange had an incredible season and were on the brink of becoming a top-10 team before their devastating loss to the Clemson Tigers in part due to their great secondary led by CB Garrett Williams. One of the primary reasons for the second half of their season being weaker than the start was QB injuries, which is why guys like RB Sean Tucker had to step up.

Bergeron, Williams and Tucker are the Syracuse Orange 2023 NFL Draft prospects we’re focused on, so let’s break down each one.

OL Matthew Bergeron Draft odds, projections & predictions

It’s no surprise that Bergeron is the first of the Syracuse Orange 2023 NFL Draft prospects we want to analyze. Offensive tackle is one of the most important positions in the NFL, and Bergeron brings plenty of experience. He’s also a left tackle, meaning he’ll be protecting the majority of QBs’ blindside.

During his senior season, Bergeron played 686 snaps, allowing just two QB hurries and four QB hits. That all came while Syracuse was forced to have multiple QBs under center. Scouts are impressed with his quick first step, which allows him to nearly always get the jump over the defender in front of him.

What seems to be holding him back is his overall strength. As you can imagine, that’s a vital part for any offensive lineman, but is something that can continue to be improved in the NFL. Because of that and how rarely he makes mistakes, we still project he will be drafted in the second or third round and be a day-one starter in the NFL.

ACC News

Cam'Ron Kelly commits to Louisville: I want to win the ACC (247sports.com; McCammon)

Former North Carolina and Virginia defensive back Cam'Ron Kelly, who made an official visit to Louisville last weekend. The 6-foot-1, 210-pound grad transfer became a believer in Jeff Brohm's vision for the program.

"I believe in everything they're going for and they say they believe they can win and win right now," Kelly told Cardinal Authority. "They're bringing the pieces and I'm one of those pieces that can contribute to that as well. And, I believe everything Coach English has with a fast, physical defense. I feel like I can fit in right in with that and then bring my playing style to the forefront. I know the ACC and the ACC knows me. It's gonna be a great time."

The decision comes a few days following his official visit.

"From the coaches to the facilities, I mean, you just can't get much better than that, especially since they run a pro-style defense and I'm used to their type of defense. I played their defense for three years, or even four years at Carolina so I can plug and play right away."

As a senior, Kelly started all 12 regular season games at safety for North Carolina last season. He was injured in the loss vs. N.C. State and did not play vs. Clemson in the ACC Championship game. Kelly finished the 2022 season with 49 tackles, 0.5 tackles for loss, one interception, and two pass breakups. His interception vs. Wake Forest helped seal the win for the Tar Heels and clinch the ACC Coastal Division.

EJ Manuel identifies ACC QB as potential sleeper Heisman candidate - Saturday Road (saturdayroad.com; Olson)

The last 2 ACC quarterbacks to win the Heisman Trophy were longshot candidates entering Week 1. On the ACC Network’s “The Huddle” EJ Manuel recently identified a potential longshot out of the conference in 2023.

Manuel called Duke QB Riley Leonard a Heisman Trophy sleeper for 2023. Manuel noted that Leonard plays similarly to more prominent ACC quarterbacks Jordan Travis and Drake Maye. Leonard’s accuracy, decision-making and running ability make him a potential household name in the opinion of Manuel.

“I really believe Riley Leonard is a Heisman caliber quarterback.” —@EJManuel3
Is @DukeFOOTBALL‘s Riley Leonard a Heisman sleeper? pic.twitter.com/Blh4Iu2PLJ
— ACC Network (@accnetwork) April 25, 2023

Leonard is entering his 3rd season at Duke. The former Fairhope (Alabama) standout has played in 20 games over 2 seasons. In 2022, Leonard was 250-of-39s passing 2,967 yards and 20 touchdowns with 6 interceptions while rushing 124 times for 699 yards and 13 scores in 13 games.

Leonard and the Blue Devils start the 2023 season on Sept. 4 against defending ACC champion Clemson.

Teel: Get used to prominent in-conference transfers in ACC, elsewhere (richmond.com; Teel)

Two years ago, the ACC removed all restrictions on athletes who wished to transfer from one conference school to another. The unanimous vote of the league’s 15 presidents rescinded a 25-year-old rule.

“The time has come,” ACC commissioner Jim Phillips said when announcing the decision.

As reasserted of late, athletes certainly agree.
The migrations likely unsettle some coaches and fans, and only the incurably naive believe tampering never occurs. But this is the new world for all of college sports, and absent collective bargaining and/or congressional intervention, it’s unlikely to change.

With basketball and football transfer seasons currently overlapping, keeping up demands multiple devices dedicated to Twitter and Instagram.

To be clear, intraconference transfers are not unique to the ACC (see point guard Jason Nelson’s move from Richmond to Atlantic 10 rival VCU). Nor are they new.

But coaches and administrators fought them at every turn, hoping to avoid competing against athletes they had recruited and developed. The long-overdue empowerment of athletes, much of it court-mandated, changed the equation.

Jack Plummer & The Cards Make The Trick Play TD Look Easy | ACC Must See Moment (youtube; video; ACC DN)

Jeff Brohm gave Louisville football fans an appetizer in the form of a trick-play touchdown during the 2023 Louisville Spring Football Game. Watch Jack Plummer put the perfect touch on a touchdown pass to Josh Lifson that was set up by a beautiful flea-flicker in this ACC Must See Moment!

Noles News: Vegas expects FSU to blow out Miami and Florida this fall (tomahawwknation.com; Krypton)

Football:

FSU is poised to have the best offense in the ACC:

Our top 5 ACC football offenses in 2023:

1. FSU
2. UNC
3. Clemson
4. Louisville
5. Duke pic.twitter.com/wNnzDisFnJ
— Saturday Road (@SaturdayRoad) April 24, 2023

FSU is a huge favorite vs. its in-state rivals this season according to Vegas.

Exhibit A as to why Alex Atkins is so highly thought of by fans and peers alike:

WATCH FLA STATE RT SIDE STAY ON THE LOS ( ROOTING LATERALLY-NOT PIERCING) AND PASS OFF THE PINCH -FROM GABE FERTITTA. OL COACH. NOW WERE COOKING. THIS IS MID ZONE BLOCKING TO ME AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL. WOW !!! pic.twitter.com/x4cVKGKKIc
— Jim “Mouse” McNally (@CoachMcNallyOL) April 24, 2023
The College Football Playoff committee met to discuss future playoff schedules among other things.

Ranking Clemson’s Cade Klubnik as the fourth best QB in the ACC feels a little ambitious.

Travis was second overall:

Jordan Travis, Florida State: Travis is a redshirt junior and joined Maye and former Wake Forest quarterback Sam Hartman as the only three ACC players to throw for 3,000-plus yards last year.

ACCN FB Coverage 2023 April 24-26th (RX; HM)

ACCN FB Coverage 2023 April 24-26th
A reminder...

This week, the ACC Network has the following coverage of Spring Football and the NFL Draft...
4/24/2023
3:00 PM (1 hr) ACC Huddle: Draft Analysis Special
4:00 PM (3 hrs) ACC PM
7:00 PM (1 hr) ACC Huddle: Spring Football Review

4/25/2023
9:00 PM (30 mins) ACC Huddle: Welcome to the NFL

4/26/2023
8:30 PM (1 hr) ACC Huddle: NFL Draft Preview

OT: Pac TV Deal better than ACC? (RX; HM)

OT: Pac TV Deal better than ACC?

From "Colorado Chancellor Speaks on Pac-12 Media Deal" posted on All Sports Discussion...
Sunday USA Today reported on comments from the Colorado Chancellor, and some statements could be not more clear.

“there’s a very good possibility” the next deal will bring in per-school revenues ranking third among the Power 5 conferences, ahead of the Big 12 and Atlantic Coast conferences.

Whoa, there, Pawdnuh! From 5th to third, just like that? Call me skeptical, to say the least. I suppose it's possible that the Pac-12 sells out to a streaming service like Amazon or Apple - it won't help them in recruiting, but it could pay well.

I also wonder what numbers the Colorado Chancellor is using for the ACC - is he comparing 2021 numbers for the ACC with the office cut taken out vs. 2024 Pac-12 revenue with no cut for the league (you know, like the Big XII normally does it - see "ACC vs Big XII Revenue, 2024 est.")?

Could the ACC absorb the Pac-12? (RX; HM)

Could the ACC absorb the Pac-12?

Pac-12 schools are in a pickle. Most of them wouldn't mind jumping to the Big Ten, but that conference appears to be full at the moment. Most of them wouldn't want to join the Big XII, and I'm guessing that the hypercompetitive nature of the SEC isn't really their cup of tea, either. That leaves the ACC - an odd fit geographically, but kindred spirits in many other ways.

In this post, I'll look at some highlights from "Is expansion still an option for the ACC?" posted on CSNBBS by a fellow Virginia Tech fan who lives in Georgetown and goes by "random asian guy".

What is ESPN thinking???

The media doesn't really discuss much about the ACC expansion (aside from the ACC-PAC merger/partnership ideas) and people... just don't comprehend that the ACC could be a predator because most of them are so preoccupied with the idea of the ACC becoming a prey once the GoR is challenged or expired.

But at the end of the day, what matters the most for the ACC expansion is whether ESPN wants it or not...

He then posted an excerpt from an article written by Pete Thamel back in July 2022 which he thinks "pretty much tells you what ESPN is thinking" [LINK]. The article is behind the paywall but here is the key part:

The Pac-12 schools in prime markets are the obvious ACC target, as it's unlikely any TV entity is going to come in and bid high on the league now that they are vulnerable and lack the Los Angeles market. (Adding San Diego State and Boise State, which both seem like obvious choices, still doesn't move the financial needle.)
Whatever financial estimates the Pac-12 schools get amid their current open negotiating window will inevitably underwhelm. Does that allow the ACC to make a targeted strike to take the best available from the Pac-12 -- Oregon, Washington, Stanford and California -- and then take either two or four others? Those could be either two or all of these – Arizona State, Colorado, TCU, Cincinnati -- to form a Western wing of the league.

2023 NFL Draft Preview (RX; HM)

2023 NFL Draft Preview

The draft is scheduled to be held in the plaza outside of Union Station in Kansas City, Missouri, on April 27–29, 2023. To start getting you ready for it, here are a couple of respected mock drafts.

First, here's the latest mock draft from NFL.com (with ACC players highlighted):

2023 NFL mock draft, NFL.com
1Carolina PanthersBryce YoungAlabama · QB · Junior
2Houston TexansWill LevisKentucky · QB · Senior (RS)
3Arizona CardinalsWill Anderson Jr.Alabama · Edge · Junior
4Indianapolis ColtsC.J. StroudOhio State · QB · Sophomore (RS)
5Seattle SeahawksTyree WilsonTexas Tech · Edge · Senior (RS)
6Detroit LionsDevon WitherspoonIllinois · CB · Senior
7Las Vegas RaidersChristian GonzalezOregon · CB · Junior
8Atlanta FalconsBijan RobinsonTexas · RB · Junior
9Chicago BearsJalen CarterGeorgia · DT · Junior
10Minnesota VikingsAnthony RichardsonFlorida · QB · Sophomore (RS)
11Tennessee TitansO'Cyrus TorrenceFlorida · OG · Senior
12Houston TexansNolan SmithGeorgia · Edge · Senior
13New York JetsPeter SkoronskiNorthwestern · OL · Junior
14New England PatriotsBroderick JonesGeorgia · OT · Sophomore (RS)
15Green Bay PackersParis Johnson Jr.Ohio State · OT · Junior
16Washington CommandersJoey Porter Jr.Penn State · CB · Junior (RS)
17Pittsburgh SteelersLukas Van NessIowa · Edge · Sophomore (RS)
18Detroit LionsCalijah KanceyPittsburgh · DT · Junior (RS)
After passing on Jalen Carter at No. 6, the Lions find a difference-maker on the defensive line at this spot. The comparisons between Kancey and three-time Defensive Player of the Year Aaron Donald -- both former Pitt stars -- seem unfair, but I think Kancey has the juice to at least be a very good starter in the league.

ACC vs Big XII Revenue, 2024 est. (RX; HM)

ACC vs Big XII Revenue, 2024 est.

In the race for 3rd place, don't give me projected revenue for 2030 or some such nonsense - tell me what it's going to pay this year (or, at least, next year)!

From Front Office Sports: New Big 12 Media Deal To Pay Schools $31.6M Average Annual Value

While the Big 12’s new package puts it above the Pac-12 for now, it won’t usurp the ACC...
The Big 12’s deal will pay out an average of $380 million per year — or about $31.6 million per school... The ACC’s current package dates back to 2016. In 2021, ACC schools brought in about $36 million each, according to tax returns...
Keep two more things in mind:
1. That $31.6M/school for the Big XII is 2023-24 revenue, while the $36M/school for the ACC is 2020-21 revenue. ACC revenue escalates approximately $2M/year.
2. In addition, the $36M for ACC schools is after paying for the conference overhead, but the $31.6M for Big XII schools is before overhead (since their conference is funded differently, they don't take a cut). The ACC takes about 1/16th to 1/15th (6.25% to 6.67%).
All things considered, a true apples-to-apples comparison is probably more like:

Big XII: $31.6M in 2024 (before Big XII fees)
ACC: $42.6M in 2024 (before ACC fees/cut)

What's been wrong with College Football? (RX; HM)

What's been wrong with College Football?

What, you didn't know it was broken?

Yep, it is. What's the problem, you ask? It's becoming too predictable - same old same old, year after year. Before Head Coach Nick Saban arrived at Alabama, a different team won at least a share of the national title every year for a decade, from 1997 to 2006:

1997 Michigan / Nebraska (split)
1998 Tennessee
1999 Florida State
2000 Oklahoma
2001 Miami (FL)
2002 Ohio State
2003 LSU* / USC (split)
2004 USC
2005 Texas
2006 Florida

College Football was healthy in those days, with 12 different teams winning at least a piece of the National Championship over a span of 13 seasons. Oh, sure LSU reprised their 2003 championship in 2007, and Florida won two-out-of-three in 2006 and 2008, but at least that was some level of variety...

2007 LSU (repeat)
2008 Florida (repeat)
2009 Alabama*
* 2003 LSU and 2009 Alabama were both coached by Nick Saban.
Since 2009, however, only 6 teams have won the title in the last 14 seasons:

2009 Alabama
2010 Auburn
2011 Alabama
2012 Alabama
2013 Florida St
2014 Ohio State
2015 Alabama
2016 Clemson
2017 Alabama
2018 Clemson
2019 LSU
2020 Alabama
2021 Georgia
2022 Georgia

West Virginia football: After decade adrift, can Mountaineers find old magic? (theathletic.com; $; Taylor)

West Virginia had all the leverage plus a 10-point lead, and its mission seemed nearly complete. The mood inside Boone Pickens Stadium reflected it. Thousands of Oklahoma State fans were headed home. Even the “Paddle People” whacking the field-level walls near the Mountaineers bench were losing hope with each thud.

Armed with Heisman-contender quarterback Will Grier, the visitors led 41-31 with five minutes to play. Five more minutes until No. 7 West Virginia would clinch a berth in the 2018 Big 12 championship game. Five minutes until it could make a case in earnest for the College Football Playoff.

The unraveling that proceeded in Stillwater squashed those ambitions and encapsulates what a difficult, unsatisfying decade West Virginia football has endured.

Oklahoma State, devoid of a Heisman hopeful and fronted by former walk-on Taylor Cornelius, strung together touchdown drives of 78 and 75 yards to slingshot ahead 45-41. West Virginia, in a tantalizing attempt to mount its own rally, reached the Cowboys’ 14 before Grier’s final-play pass into the end zone was batted down.

“Had ’em on the ropes and didn’t close ’em out,” said coach Dana Holgorsen, stung by a loss in which his team never trailed until the final 42 seconds. “Great teams close people out and we didn’t do it.”

This was merely a decent team, not a great one, and six days later the Mountaineers reinforced why. With one more shot at reaching the Big 12 title game, they needed to win a Black Friday prime-time matchup in Morgantown against Kyler Murray and No. 6 Oklahoma. In what ranked among the year’s most-watched games, West Virginia piled up 704 yards, but two Grier strip-sacks were returned for touchdowns and a baffling penalty haunted WVU in a 59-56 loss.

Other

SVUEAOU3R5GDBJCIHDTLXMVZO4.jfif

Harrison House, left, has been vacant since 2010. The former Townsend Tower was renovated into Geneva Tower, right, in 2012. Both are owned by SUNY Upstate.

Why NY state has left a 21-story Syracuse apartment tower vacant amid a housing shortage (PS; Knauss)

Syracuse has a shortage of rental housing. Downtown apartments are in especially high demand.

Yet a 21-story apartment tower on the eastern edge of downtown Syracuse has stood vacant for the past 12 years. And there are no immediate plans to bring it back to life.

Harrison House is a high-rise near the intersection of South Townsend and Harrison streets, with 199 apartments that formerly housed low- and moderate-income tenants. State officials seized it in 2009 from private owners who let the property decay and defaulted on their government-backed mortgages.

In 2010, the vacant apartment tower was given to nearby SUNY Upstate Medical University to help with the state medical school’s expansion plans. Upstate officials are still figuring out what to do with it.

At this point, Harrison House appears more likely to be demolished than renovated.

One of American High's first movies shot in Syracuse is finally coming out (PS; $; Herbert)

One of American High’s first movies shot in the Syracuse area is finally coming out after nearly five years in post-production.

“Sid is Dead,” starring Joey Bragg (”Liv & Maddie”) and Mary Stuart Masterson (”Fried Green Tomatoes”), will be released in select theaters and VOD (video on demand) this Friday, April 28. No theaters in Central New York are showing the film on the big screen; the Kent Theater in Brooklyn is the only New York location set to show it Friday.

The plot centers on a socially invisible high school senior who, after slipping up and getting the school’s biggest bully (Justin Matthews) suspended, realizes he may only have two weeks left to experience everything he’s ever missed out on. As you might expect from a teen comedy, his bucket list includes sex, unlikely sports, and an ultimate goal of dying as a legend.

See the trailer for “Sid is Dead”:

Bragg is best known for playing Joey Rooney on Dove Cameron’s Disney Channel series “Liv & Maddie” and recently starred on “Call Your Mother” with Kyra Sedgwick.