Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to Flag Day!

Flag Day commemorates the adoption of the flag of the United States, which took place on June 14, 1777. In 1916, President Woodrow Wilson made a proclamation establishing June 14th as Flag Day. In August 1949, National Flag Day was established by an act of Congress, which was signed by Harry Truman. However, Flag Day is not an official federal holiday. Before the government recognized Flag Day, citizens had been celebrating it and working to bring it to prominence for many years. Bernard J. Cigrand, a schoolteacher from Waubeka, Wisconsin, held the first formal observance of "Flag Day", or "Flag Birthday", at Stony Hill School in 1885. Cigrand continued to advocate for Flag Day and became the president of the American Flag Day Association and the National Flag Day Society. Cigrand is usually described as the "Father of Flag Day". On June 14, 1894, over 300,000 public school students celebrated Flag Day in parks across Chicago. In the 1890's, observances took place in other cities such as New York City and Philadelphia. Currently, the week of June 14th is known as "National Flag Week", and the president makes a proclamation urging people to fly flags for its duration. Flags are flown on government buildings as well.

SU News

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/michael-mcmonigle-down-to-two-decision-on-the-horizon (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2024 York (PA) William Penn offensive tackle officially visited Syracuse over the weekend. The 6-6, 280 pounder enjoyed his time on campus.

"I think it went really well," McMonigle said. "I really enjoyed my time there. I think some of my favorite parts were meeting some of the players, talking to coach Farmer one on one and watching film with him. Watching film with him one on one was really nice because I got to understand how they run their offense more. Meeting the players was awesome because I got to have a true insight on the program and day to day life."

The film session was extremely impactful.

"My skills would translate very well to how they run their offense because my scheme in high school is very similar to their scheme right now," McMonigle said. "I feel like my coach has prepared me very well for the college level. He thinks I can translate very well and pretty seamlessly with however many years it takes me to develop. Get bigger and stronger, things of that nature. But he thinks I can translate very well to high they do things."

ORANGE ZONE: A way-too-early 2023 SU FOOTBALL preview (cnycentral.com; Hodges)

When it comes to the summer months there's not a ton to talk about in the world of collegiate athletics. So, naturally it's a perfect time to look way ahead.

download.jpg

Oronde Gadsden's Next Step (orangefizz.net; Simone)

In 2021, Oronde Gadsden caught two passes for a grand total of 24 yards. Fast forward to 2022, and Gadsden ballooned those numbers to 61 grabs for 969 yards.

Former offensive coordinator Robert Anae fell in love with him, and for good reason. The 6’5 216 pounder lined up in every formation you can imagine last year-in-line tight end, the backfield, slot receiver. You name a spot on the field, he probably started a play from scrimmage there.

The all-ACC “tight end” was particularly effective out of the slot, drawing bracket double teams from slot corners who were too small for him and safeties who weren’t athletic enough to keep up.

The size and athleticism are certainly there for Gadsden. He’s a terrific route runner with good hands, although he’ll tell you he’d like them to be even better. At the collegiate level, he’s unrecoverable out of the slot. The one thing that he hasn’t done in what’s turning into an outstanding SU career is work consistently and effectively on the outside.

Robin Hook "The 315" 6-13-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian Higgins continues his 12 games in 12 weeks Syracuse football preview with the Orange’s Week 2 opponent: Western Michigan. Play by play voice Robin Hook joins the show to talk all things Broncos, including their offseason moves and new head coach Lance Taylor. Finally, a look at how the MAC has stayed strong through conference realignment talk.

Get to Know Your Orange Man: #76, OL Kalan Ellis (TNIAAM; Ostrowski)

It’s time to start preparing for the upcoming Syracuse Orange football season. We’re going through the roster to take a look at each Syracuse player as we get ready for a critical season for the Orange.

We continue our big man week with….

Name: Kalan Ellis

Position: Offensive Line

Year: Junior

Height: 6’6”

Weight: 375 lbs.

Hometown: Waimanalo, Hawaii

High School: St. Louis School

2022 stats: Ellis and Matthew Bergeron combined to form a solid left side of the line last season. He appeared in 11 games, starting nine of them at left guard, and surrendered just one sack during the entire campaign.

2023 projections: Kalan is one of only two returning o-line starters from last season, along with fellow guard Chris Bleich. The later has some injury concerns after missing the majority of spring camp, so the Hawaiian’s own health is crucial for this group of blockers to have any success this season. His weight is down about 15 pounds from last year, which could help improve his reaction time.

Get to Know Your Orange Man: #75 OL Austyn Kauhi (TNIAAM; Chiappone)

It’s time to start preparing for the upcoming Syracuse Orange football season. We’re going through the roster to take a look at each Syracuse player as we get ready for a critical season for the Orange.

Up next is….

Name: Austyn Kauhi

Position: Offensive Line

Year: Redshirt Sophomore

Height: 6’5”

Weight: 270 lbs

Hometown: Nanakuli, Hawaii

High School/Previous College: Kamehameha High School

2022 stats: Appeared in one game last season against Wake Forest.

2023 projections: Kauhi has played sparingly to date, but with the departure of Matthew Bergeron and uncertainty with offensive line depth for the Orange, he could be a nice reserve with two years of development under his belt. Don’t expect Kauhi to start right away, but he could get spot reps at the right time.

Top Syracuse NIL Players (on3.com)

• 1 NCAA
    Oronde Gadsden II 2021
    American Heritage(Fort Lauderdale, FL)
    TE
    JR
    Followers
    On3 NIL Valuation
    $427K
    1K38
    1.5K55
  • 2 NCAA
    Judah Mintz 2022
    Oak Hill Academy(Washington, DC)
    CG
    FR
    Followers
    On3 NIL Valuation
    $98K
    18.8K68

ACC News
THE WORST ENTRANCE IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL #collegefootball #clemson (youtube.com; podcast; Friends of Friends)

THE WORST ENTRANCE IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL

How Did the P2 Get There? Can the ACC go too? (RX; HM)

How Did the P2 Get There? Can the ACC go too?

...and can the ACC still join them?

Will the Power 5 become the Power 2? @NVGTInsights crunched numbers for @TheAthletic to show what leagues’ new media rights deals + a 12-team College Football Playoff could mean for each conference over the next decade.

Diving into the new projections: Will the Power 5 soon become the Power 2? Unpacking new TV revenue projections for a 12-team CFP world pic.twitter.com/SxOqizp1Fh
— Nicole Auerbach (@NicoleAuerbach) March 29, 2022
From this we see that the Big Ten and the SEC were already ahead of the other power conferences in terms of revenue (most of the difference being in television/media rights), but they've actually expanded the gap in recent years. How? By absorbing some of the most valuable pieces from other conferences, and by better leveraging what they already had.

https://thespun.com/college-football/report-sec-would-consider-2-acc-schools-but-not-miami (thespun.com; Duncan)

The SEC is currently the dominant conference in college football. That dominance comes with its privileges, as the league can take its pick on adding new members.

Texas and Oklahoma are set to join the conference next year in a move that will fundamentally alter the sport. Despite adding two of the most prestigious programs in college football history, the SEC may not be done.

According to a report, the SEC would consider adding two schools from the ACC if they were interested in leaving.

Some fans and analysts have suggested that Miami could be one of those teams, but the report says the Hurricanes would not be considered.

Week 2 CFB TV Schedule 2023 (RX; HM)

Week 2 CFB TV Schedule 2023

Previously we looked at the overall Week 1 CFB TV Schedule.

Now it's time for Week 2 ACC schedule, plus some of the best games from the other P5 conferences...

DateNetworkPrimeTime
THU
9/7
ACCNMurray St
at Louisville
DateNetworkNoonishLate AfternoonEarly EveningPrimeTime
SAT
9/9
ACCNVanderbilt
at Wake Forest
Charleston So.
at Clemson
App. State at
N Carolina
So. Miss
at Florida St
ABCNotre Dame
at NC State
Texas AM
at Miami
Wisconsin
at Wash. State
CBSUNLV
at Michigan
UCLA at
San Diego St
FoxNebraska
at Colorado
Iowa at
Iowa State
Oregon at
Texas Tech
NBCCharlotte
at Maryland
ESPNUtah
at Baylor
Texas
at Alabama
ESPN2Purdue
at Va Tech
Ole Miss
at Tulane
ESPNUJames Madison
at Virginia
ACCNXHoly Cross
at BC
Lafayette
at Duke
SC State
at Ga Tech
TBDW Michigan
at Syracuse
Cincinnati
at Pitt
Much like in Week 1, there are once again two Saturday ACC football games on ABC. The ACC Network features not just a double or triple-header, but four games back-to-back-to-back-to-back.
Meanwhile, the quality of games outside the ACC is pretty weak. NBC is forced to show Charlotte at Maryland because that is the best FBS-vs-Big Ten game available! Prime Time will feature Pac-12 non-conference games on ABC, CBS, and Fox... and Texas vs. Alabama on ESPN, which will crush them all (I'll probably be watching Southern Mississippi at Florida State).

How is Phillips doing so far? (2023) (RX; HM)

How is Phillips doing so far? (2023)

From the thread "Should we keep Jim Phillips?" on CSNBBS, here's what GTFletch, a Georgia Tech fan, wrote (I bolded some key points):

I say yes. He has done a decent job with what he inherited.
He has made it his mission to prioritize football.
Moved ACC HQ to Charlotte, bringing the ACC into full P5 Status as linking into a major city and leaving lil old Greensboro.
Phillips finally got ACC Network to full distribution with Xfinity finally on board -- allowing fans in places like Miami and Boston to get the network.

70 Years Ago Today: New Conference (RX; HM)

70 Years Ago Today: New Conference

From "Atlantic Coast Conference" on Wikipedia:

The ACC was established on June 14, 1953, when seven members of the Southern Conference left to form their own conference.[note 1][7] These seven universities became charter members of the ACC: Clemson, Duke, Maryland, North Carolina, North Carolina State, South Carolina, and Wake Forest.

ChatGPT ranks the ACC's best football uniforms (usatoday; Turri)

What is Turri thinking. UVa's are bad, as are Duke's, Good job there. VT's (the colors don't go together) and UNC's (baby blue for men?) are ghastly and make most people physically ill. I think Wake's and BC's are really bad too. Further, Clemson and Syracuse have essentially the same unis except Clemson has Barney purple (ugh) as their accent color and Syracuse has sharp looking navy blue.

The ACC is a Power 5 conference with some of the best programs in college football.

Not only does the ACC have some of the best college football programs in the country, but some of the best uniforms. The real question is… who has the best uniform in the conference?

For that question, we took to ChatGPT for the answer. For those who don’t know, ChatGPT is described as “a natural language processing tool driven by AI technology that allows you to have human-like conversations” with a computer. Simply give it a question, and it will answer.

“Ranking ACC football teams by uniform is subjective and personal preference may vary. However, here’s a subjective ranking of ACC football teams based on their uniform designs.” -ChatGPT

It is important to note these are subjective, so people will have different opinions on these results, including myself! With that being said, take a look below at how ChatGPT ranked each ACC football team’s uniforms, and let the “friendly” debates begin:

14 Virginia Cavaliers

Of all of Virginia’s jerseys, their home blue is my least favorite. The all-white is solid with a nice orange top and white bottom concept as well. Their best by far was one they revealed in 2022 and used for the first time, an all-orange concept that looked great. All things considered, these are pretty nice jerseys for last in the ACC.

13 Duke Blue Devils

Duke is an interesting one because I could see you either loving or hating these jerseys. I think Duke’s all-blue and all-white concepts are pretty clean, with their worst jersey being the all-black. Solid uniforms overall but nothing crazy here.

12 Syracuse Orange

Though I’m a big fan of orange, I’m not a huge fan of Syracuse’s jerseys. That said, I do feel their best jerseys are when they go all orange. Their blue top jerseys, on the other hand… not for me!

11 Wake Forest Demon Deacons

Wake Forest has solid jerseys overall. Their all-black uniform is a clean look, and you can’t go wrong the other way with the all-white concept. My personal favorite is when they run the white tops with the black bottoms, but I could see others feeling differently here.

Hardest Schools to Get Into (2023) (RX; HM)

Hardest Schools to Get Into (2023)

To become an ACC athlete, you also have to be an ACC student. Some are the hardest schools to get into are right here in the Atlantic Coast Conference. Don't believe me? Check out this tweet...

HARDEST MAJOR SPORTS SCHOOLS TO GET INTO:
All FBS Conf Members + Big East:

Check out how many of the best schools in the country ALSO run top-notch athletic programs!
(Spoiler alert: They're related...)

Last night, @Stanford astoundingly won its 26th Director's Cup Trophy.… pic.twitter.com/eknJm1mmmo
— Tony Altimore (@TJAltimore) June 13, 2023

That list includes 17 power five conference schools; nearly half (eight) of those are in the ACC.

ESPN’s SECRET Negotiations Help FSU Football’s Future (youtube.com; podcast; Double Fries)

Based on a couple of conversations that we've had, we believe that ESPN will be HEAVILY involved in the next round of conference realignment as it pertains to the Florida State Seminoles. See how it impacts the Big 10, SEC, and FSU Football.

Other

This property tax break lasted twice as long as the Syracuse rail service it helped (PS; Knauss)

Fifteen years after the death of a failed Syracuse rail shuttle known as OnTrack, the property tax break awarded to its railroad owners has finally expired.

That means the city will send a tax bill of roughly $290,000 in July to the New York Susquehanna & Western railroad company, which paid the city only about $6,000 in recent years under the terms of its 30-year payment in lieu of taxes.

Syracuse officials rushed this month to get the 10 miles of railroad tracks back on the tax rolls in time for the July tax bills, after learning that the PILOT had expired. The Common Council waived its normal rules to take an expedited vote at its June 5 meeting to return the property to the tax roll.

But railroad officials caution that the city’s $10.5 million assessment on the property is probably too high and will likely be lowered by the state tax department, which sets a ceiling on how much railroads can be taxed in each municipality.

V2QA2HTK5NDFFEQY3ETPI3YSYI.jpg

Outdoor seating at a mano in downtown Syracuse. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

Celebrated downtown Italian restaurant closing as it goes through ‘major rebranding’ (PS; $; Miller)

A celebrated downtown Italian restaurant, known for making everything on the menu by hand, will close at the end of the month as it changes its concept.

A Mano, located inside the Icon Tower at 344 S. Warren St., will serve its last meal on Saturday, July 1, said Alex Fiacchi, the executive chef.

He and his fiancé, Lauren Markowitz, ran the kitchen here since it opened in September 2018. It quickly became a go-to spot for fine Italian cuisine and unique desserts. It was named one of Central New York’s best Italian restaurants shortly after opening by a panel of food writers and American Culinary Federation-certified chefs. A year later, it took top honors for creating the best desserts in the region.

“We had a really good time at A Mano,” Fiacchi said Monday afternoon. “The restaurant got through Covid and came out even stronger. But it’s time to move on. We always knew this wasn’t going to be our end game. We love to travel, so we’re going to head South and likely open another restaurant down the road.”