Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to World Tofu Day!

World Tofu Day was created by the Society for the Protection of Animals (SPA) Canada to offer an opportunity for people to celebrate plant-based diets and to encourage them to bring animal-friendly foods onto their menus. It celebrates the many alternatives to animal products "and the many advantages of living a cruelty-free lifestyle." It's also a day to get people to try tofu and to view it in a new way, "as a tasty, versatile food that can easily replace many animal-derived products to avoid encouraging the horrible farming industry." The first World Tofu Day was marked in 2014. In Montreal, at least 12,000 people attended a vegan barbecue on the inaugural celebration.

Tofu is made from soybeans that are curdled and then pressed into blocks. It is high in protein, relatively low in calories, and low in carbohydrates. It is low in saturated fat but higher in heart-healthy fats. Tofu contains iron, magnesium, manganese, selenium, and calcium, and is sometimes fortified with other minerals and vitamins. Tofu is versatile. It takes on the flavor of what it is cooked with, it can be used to make anything from the main dish to a dessert, and just like meat, it can be fried, grilled, steamed, baked, or pan-cooked. There are tofu curds, pressed tofu sheets, frozen tofu, and burgers and sausages made from tofu.

SU News

3ZCWEWBVENEINJC3XMPKHUUEEQ.jpg

Syracuse quarterback Garrett Shrader answers questions at the 2023 ACC Kickoff on July 25 in Charlotte, N.C. Shrader spoke for the first time about the rehabbing the injury that kept him out of spring ball. (Photo by Nell Redmond/ACC)Nell Redmond/ACC

After missing spring to fix ‘chronic issue,’ Shrader says he feels better than ever (PS; $; Leiker)

It’s rare to hear a player or coach in any sport say missing practice made them better.

But that’s exactly the attitude Syracuse football quarterback Garrett Shrader has about missing the Orange’s spring camp as he recovered from surgery on his right elbow.

It’s a sentiment SU coach Dino Babers expressed in the spring, too.

“It’s been a blessing in disguise because it sucks that I had to go through this, but at the same time, I’ve kind of been able to clean up a lot of the mechanics and stuff,” Shrader said. “... I’m still rehabbing and all that stuff. I have a very positive, optimistic outlook on it.”

Shrader missed spring practice as he recovered from the surgery on his throwing arm, which fixed what he said Tuesday here at ACC Kickoff was a “chronic issue.”

Early in his recovery, Shrader wore a bulky brace that held his right arm at a 90-degree angle near his side. He graduated to a smaller brace while spring camp went on without him, and he did not have any apparatus on his arm in Charlotte.

He’s been throwing again, he said, with just about a week to go until SU’s fall camp is projected to begin.

Shrader couldn’t pinpoint exactly when the issue started but clarified it wasn’t an injury he suffered in the 2022 season.

Dino Babers shares a key trait that makes Oronde Gadsden II similar to Matthew Bergeron, Zaire Franklin (PS; Carlson)

Syracuse football coach Dino Babers spoke at ACC media day in Charlotte on Tuesday, providing some insight into how the team selected captains and what wide receiver Oronde Gadsden II has in common with a pair of former players in the NFL.

Babers’ most interesting answer came when he was asked how often he’s brought a sophomore to ACC media day. Gadsden is in just his third year with the Orange and Babers, like most coaches, usually prefers to bring veterans to the event.

In addition to Gadsden, Syracuse’s three-player contingent included senior Garrett Shrader and fourth-year junior Marlowe Wax. One of the team’s three captains, Justin Barron, even remained behind in favor of Gadsden.

“You’re going to put me on the spot,” Babers said, when asked if he’d ever brought a sophomore to the event. “I can imagine I may have never brought a sophomore to this event. I’m not quite sure but I would bet that never is a good answer. Orande is different. He is older than his years. He was well-tutored before he got to us. He’s very mature about his work.

“When I think about him I think about (offensive lineman) Matthew Bergeron, who was the second-round pick of the Falcons. I think about Zaire Franklin, who was a seventh-round pick by the Colts and everyone said would be cut, and now he’s been captain for three straight years. I think about young men that came in older than their years. When you talk OG, those are the things you’re talking about at Syracuse University.”

6AM2BWY7P5FMJEHC7XOCHCLVEM.jpg

Syracuse tight end Oronde Gadsden II talks to media at the 2023 ACC Kickoff on July 25 in Charlotte, N.C. Gadsden, a 2022 first-team All-ACC selection, was courted by other programs this offseason. (Photo by Nell Redmond/ACC)Nell Redmond/ACC

Gadsden says he turned down huge money to transfer: ‘I wanna make a name for myself at Syracuse’ (PS; $; Leiker)

One of Syracuse football’s biggest stars said he turned down huge sums of money to transfer out of the program this offseason.

Oronde Gadsden II, a 2023 preseason All-American, told syracuse.com at ACC Kickoff on Tuesday that other programs were “promising six figures and up” in payments if he transferred.

He declined to say which programs attempted to strike a deal with him, though the inducements show what SU is up against as it tries to retain its best players year to year.

Gadsden said it was the “love” he’s received at the school, both from fans and his coaches, that made him want to stick around.

“I wanna make a name for myself at Syracuse,” Gadsden said.

Gadsden also said transferring would introduce risk at a time his career is on stable ground.

He’s Orange quarterback Garrett Shrader’s favorite target. He’s one of the top returning receivers in the conference. And, with potentially one season left playing college ball, Gadsden is an NFL-bound receiver whenever he decides to declare for the draft.

GGFNEF6TENDEJFS6SCMF23AAPE.jpg

Syracuse wide receiver Isaiah Jones (80) after a touchdown catch against Purdue on Sept. 17. Jones was injured later in the game and ended up missing the remainder of the season. Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

SU football’s 2023 WRs: Is SU’s best receiver (not named Gadsden) returning from injury? (PS; $; Leiker)

Last year, Syracuse football wide receivers coach Michael Johnson told head coach Dino Babers who the best wide receiver in the room was: Isaiah Jones.

At the time, Jones hadn’t caught a pass for the Orange. He’d appeared in just 14 games over two seasons, primarily on special teams. Maybe he’d had a flashy catch or two in spring ball.

“We lost a lot of cats in those first six games, but he was probably the one that really affected the offense a lot,” Babers said this spring. “ ‘Cause at the time we thought he was our best wide receiver. Now, we’ll see.”

Jones, who’s entering his fifth season of college football and fourth with SU, adds another weapon to an already well-stacked pass-catching corp as the Orange looks poised to rely more heavily on an aerial offense than it has the past two seasons.

Syracuse’s receiver room will include the following: Jones, Damien Alford, Trebor Pena, Umari Hatcher, D’Marcus Adams, Kendall Long, Donovan Brown, true freshmen Bryce Cohoon, Darrell Gill Jr. and walk-ons Kyle Acker, Nate Wellington and Nick Armentano.

Alford nearly left this offseason, briefly entering the transfer portal in early January before deciding to stay at Syracuse. He would not say why he entered the portal during spring camp, saying only it was for personal reasons.

Keeping Up With The 315 7-25-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian Higgins recaps last night’s Boeheim’s Army win after sorting through some notes from the ACC Kickoff event in Charlotte. Then, the Wheel of Dino is back and Brian’s got an issue with some questions that he wasn’t asked at Media Day. Later, Brian’s reaction to Syracuse’s opening matchup of the Maui Invitational.

Everything Dino Babers said from the podium at ACC Media Days - Saturday Road (saturdayroad.com; Farner)

Dino Babers was the first coach to speak from the podium at ACC Media Days on Tuesday.

The Syracuse coach reflected on an up and down season in 2022, as the Orange won their first 6 games before they dropped 5 straight games and finished 7-6.

Here is his transcript from ASAP Sports:

THE MODERATOR: Folks, good morning. We welcome you inside the grand ballroom here on the second floor of the Weston in uptown Charlotte. This will be the first of what will be 14 of our conversations with head coaches and student-athletes over the next three days here with the 2023 ACC Kickoff.

Head Coach Dino Babers with us first from Syracuse and then our student-athletes. Questions?

Q. Just wanted to kind of get your impressions of Jason Beck, the job he is doing, and how he is adjusting to the new role?

DINO BABERS: That’s a great question. Jason is doing a fantastic job. Obviously this will be his second year with us. We felt like he has been with us a long time.

His personality is one of those personalities that’s easy to get along with. The players are really motivated, and he really activates and can stimulate his personnel extremely well.

So we’re excited about what’s been going on in the spring, and we’re looking forward to see what’s going to happen in the fall with his first opportunity with us.

Time set for Syracuse football’s game against Pitt in Yankee Stadium (PS; Carlson)

The football game between Syracuse and Pittsburgh in Yankee Stadium will kick off at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, November 11.

The game, which was moved from the JMA Wireless Dome to Yankee Stadium, will mark the 100th anniversary of the first football game played in the Bronx.

That game, also played between Syracuse and Pittsburgh, resulted in a 3-0 win for the Orange. Syracuse is 7-3 all-time in games played at Yankee Stadium.

Pittsburgh is SU’s most frequent opponent in football, with the Panthers owning a 43-32-2 edge in the series. Pitt has won 16 of the last 18 meetings between the two.

Syracuse Football: Six keys to success for the Orange in the 2023 season (itlh; Fiello)

Last season, Syracuse football started off 6-0 and ended up with 7 wins and a Pinstripe Bowl appearance. Many great players who contributed to that success are no longer with the team. However, that doesn’t mean this still can’t be a great team.

I mentioned many contributors left but there are many who will return in 2023. Those guys plus changes here and there and the hunger in some will prove to be very motivating and I believe will take Syracuse football at least to back-to-back bowl games.

So as a fan and looking more at what we do have than what we don’t, I thought I’d share my 6 things I think are key to Syracuse football success. The corny part of me wanted to do a funny “score more points, stop them from scoring more than us, flatten their bus tires, etc.” type of post to give you more of a laugh but this time I think it’s fun to point out the haves and not the have- nots as we get closer to the start of the 2023 season.

So here are my 6 keys (not sponsored by Key Bank, unfortunately) to success for the ‘Cuse in the 2023 season. Maybe they’re vague or maybe you think other things are more important but these are my top 6. Everyone usually does lists in increments of 5 but I just wanted to be different haha.

Here are six keys for Syracuse football to have success this coming season.

Offensive line cohesion

One of the biggest reasons I always like playing “easier” games first is it allows game experience and cohesion as a team. You can get the timing down, figure out the best players at the position when the game starts and especially on the offensive line, you can see who blends together the best.

The offensive line needs size and talent but it’s also one area that needs camaraderie the most. They need to blend and gel as a unit to pick up blitzes and assignments and allow the offense time to develop the play.

And while some experience and talent from last season are gone, that doesn’t mean that the players here can’t form a good team.

Enter the new offensive line coach Steve Farmer. Coach Farmer was successful at Tulsa and Texas Tech and now brings his 25 years of experience to Syracuse football, and I have faith he will find the right combination for this team to win.

Syracuse QB Garrett Shrader on Clemson football: 'I think it's our year to take them down' (greenvilleonline.com,; Gray)

Syracuse football quarterback Garrett Shrader had quite a bit to say about Clemson football, including the Sept. 30 game between the two teams in north central New York.
The Tigers came from 11 points down to win 27-21 over the Orange last season in Death Valley. Shrader had 167 passing yards and 71 rushing yards with two total touchdowns in the losing effort. The Mississippi State transfer has been Syracuse's quarterback in the last two meetings between the two programs, both decided by one score.

Shrader was respectful of Clemson during Tuesday's ACC media days in Charlotte, but also confident.

"The reputation that Coach (Dabo) Swinney has and that program that he’s built, you know, they’re obviously one of the best teams in the country typically," Shrader said. "So keeping that in mind most most of the time, Clemson is going to get everybody’s best. It’s hard to sustain that and continue to win games knowing everybody is going to give you their best punches every week. But besides that, I’m confident in the ability and the skill that we have of our players. We can play with anybody in the conference. There’s no doubt, I truly mean that."

"... This year, I think it's our year to take them down — hopefully. We have to be ready to play and take it one week at a time, and I'm excited."

The Orange remain on Clemson's schedule in 2023 even as the ACC moves away from divisional scheduling. Syracuse and Clemson played 10 times as ACC Atlantic rivals since the Orange entered the league, with the Tigers winning nine. But the two teams have played to a one-score game four times in the last six matchups, a mark better than any other ACC Atlantic rival against Clemson.

This year's schedule appears to favor the Orange, as the Tigers will face Florida State at home on Sept. 23 in a meeting of the presumptive top two teams in the league. Syracuse will face Army at home the week before in what will be a different challenge.

ACC QB on Clemson: "I think it's our year to take them down" (tigernet.com; Staff)

Talking season is here and one starting ACC QB says his team is ready to take down the Tigers.

Syracuse quarterback Garrett Shrader made the declaration while talking about the Clemson-Syracuse series on Tuesday at Charlotte's ACC Football Kickoff.

"I'm confident in the ability and skill that we have in our players and we can play with anybody in the conference," Shrader said. "There's no doubt. I truly mean that. There is not a team that we can line up against -- if we're healthy -- we can beat them...

"This year, I think it's our year to take them down," Shrader said with a smile, "Hopefully. We've got to be ready to play and take them one week at a time and we're excited."

Clemson has won five in a row over the Orange, but Syracuse has given the Tigers some fits.

Going back to a 2017 upset of Clemson in the Carrier Dome, Syracuse has kept the game within a touchdown in the last two and four of the last six matchups despite being a double-digit underdog in each game.

TRENDING: 247Sports ranks three Tigers in ACC's Top 20 players

Shrader is going into his third year as a starter for the Orange.

He connected on 18-of-26 throws for 167 yards with a touchdown and an interception in last year's 27-21 loss at Death Valley. He also tallied a touchdown and a pick with 191 passing yards on 17/37 passing in a 17-14 defeat in Syracuse two seasons ago.

"Last year, that was the game where we kind of started seeing the injuries and things coming out. We were fighting to get through that game," Shrader said. "At the end of it, we were just glad to get out of there alive. They've got a great program historically. It'll be fun. If you thought the last two were good, I think this one will be exciting too."

The Tigers head to Syracuse in week five for a Sept. 30 matchup in the JMA Wireless Dome.

https://www.si.com/college/colorado...rs-applauds-deion-sanders-for-sean-lewis-hire (SI; Tolle)

Dino Babers knows his fair share of talented offensive football minds. The former two-way player at Hawaii has spent a majority of his 39-year coaching career focused on that side of the ball and enters year eight as head coach at Syracuse. One of his original hires for the Orange now makes his transition with Deion Sanders to Colorado.

Sean Lewis wasn't a household name, but he was well-known in the college ranks. The former Syarcuse co-offensive coordinator left Babers' staff in 2018 for a head coaching job at Kent State. Lewis returns to the Power Five level as Colorado's OC, which Babers believes was a fantastic hire for Sanders.

"We're really excited," Babers said about Lewis going to CU. Sean's part of our (Syracuse) family. We expect good things out of him offensively from those guys. A fantastic hire by Deion Sanders."

Babers was once an assistant coach out west three times over at Arizona, Arizona State, and UCLA. He sees Deion's takeover in Boulder as a positive for the university as a whole. It's not a step that many head coaches take going from FCS to major FBS competition, but Babers believes Sanders is setup for success.

Syracuse football 2023 opponent preview: Clemson Tigers (TNIAAM; Ostrowski)

We’ve reached the conference portion of our football opponent preview series. After wrapping up the manually scheduled part of 2023 with Army, the Syracuse Orange begin ACC play with their fourth home game in the first five weeks.

The toughest portion of the calendar begins with the team SU has had circled on their calendars every year since joining the ACC...

Clemson Tigers

School: Clemson University

Nickname: Tigers

Mascot: The Tiger

#BRAND Slogans: #ALLIN, “Best is the Standard”

Alternate #BRAND Slogan Suggestions: #FALLIN(G) or “Running Down That Hill”

Recommended Blog: Shakin the Southland

Conference: ACC

History vs. Syracuse: The Tigers have been many opponents’ kryptonite. The Orange are no exception, posting a lopsided 1-9 record against them since they began playing annually in 2013. While 2017’s victory was a nice precursor to the following year’s 10-win season and Top-15 ranking, even that 2018 team was unable to replicate the magic down in Death Valley. There have been some close games in the series, including the last two years (17-14 and 27-21, respectively).

Could this be Dino Babers' Final Season and Syracuse? (orangefizz.net; Frank)

As the 8th season of Dino Babers as the head coach of the Syracuse football program creeps closer and closer, it’s time to take a further look at what the possibilities are for a man who has been in SU fans’ lives since 2016. In his first seven seasons with the Orange, Babers has gone 36-49 overall (.424 winning percentage) and been to only two bowl games, going 1-1.

Now, there are many external reasons why Syracuse as a whole has struggled athletically, specifically the football program over this time. First, the nature of college football has changed, with realignment, the transfer portal, and other circumstances impacting the game constantly. Furthermore, COVID influenced the program heavily, hurting recruiting and player development shortly after the best season of Babers’ career in 2018.

ACC News

How college football's new clock rule could impact the games (dailyprogress.com; Madia)

His offense averaged more snaps per game last fall than any other unit in the Big Ten.
Jeff Brohm, the former Purdue coach hired this past offseason to fill the same role at Louisville, likes to operate with pace.
“If you’re asking me if I felt [games] were too long or there were too many plays,” Brohm said Tuesday as he started to grin, “then, no I did not.”
He already has accepted he’ll have to adapt to college football’s new rule for 2023, in which the game clock will no longer be stopped following a first down except with less than two minutes to play in the second and fourth quarters.
The consensus among players and coaches in attendance at ACC Kickoff was that fewer stoppages means fewer plays in any single contest.

ACC supervisor of officials Al Riveron, an ex-NFL referee, estimated the rule would eliminate about seven to nine plays per game or anywhere from 80 to 100 plays over the course of a 12-game regular season. According to Riveron, the rule was enacted to enhance player safety, and that lessening the number of the snaps they take is one way to do so.

Eric Mac Lain, ACC Network, on the upcoming ACC football season (truthnetwork; podcast; Adam Gold Show)

Eric Mac Lain, ACC Network, on the upcoming ACC football season

Babers: ACC needs more respect (theclemsoninsider.com; Staff)

Syracuse head coach Dino Babers was the first head coach on the stage at this year’s ACC Football Kickoff. Before he left he put in a plug for the conference.

“The ACC is a conference that needs to be reckoned with. From top to bottom you can get beat at any time,” Babers said.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article277600958.html (newsobserver.com; Decock)

The calm is almost jarring.

The energy is different.

Two years ago, Texas and Oklahoma jumped to the SEC right in the middle of the ACC’s annual football kickoff, throwing the world of college athletics back into another spasm of realignment. The tension on that fault line eventually produced an earthquake, when a year later, weeks before the ACC gathered again, USC and UCLA moved to the Big Ten. Both moves not only reshaped the landscape but provoked a sort-of existential crisis within and around the ACC.

Could it keep up with the two new superconferences? Would its most valuable schools chase glory elsewhere? Was the grant of rights holding the league together truly impermeable? How long would the ACC even exist?

A year later, the storm seems to have passed. The grant of rights, so far, has proven unassailable, at least until we get closer to 2036. Retrenchment in the television rights market has given the Big Ten and SEC little incentive to go poaching. (Jordan Cornette, a charter member of the ACC Network, was a notable absence Tuesday after being discarded in ESPN’s latest round of cost-cutting.)

And the university presidents’ version of a players-only meeting at Amelia Island in May seemed to release whatever steam had been building up internally. In other words, the sense of imminent crisis that has pervaded this event the past two years has faded, even if the issues that led the ACC there have not gone anywhere, thanks in large part to the closed-door, cards-on-the-table airing of grievances at the ACC’s annual meeting

Which isn’t to say there aren’t pressing issues. Jim Phillips’ previous tenure at Northwestern certainly threatens his mandate as ACC commissioner amid the hazing scandal there, and the revenue gap hasn’t gotten any smaller yet. But what Phillips called “healthy, honest, and direct conversations” between the schools with options elsewhere and those without, commissioner-speak for anything short of fisticuffs, certainly seems to have cleared the air.

Forced to share their rhetoric with their peers, the loudest mouths have since gone silent, chastened.

“I really believe it helped us. I do,” Phillips said. “It was painful to go through. Nobody liked it, but it really started to develop this honesty and candor. Not that it hasn’t been an honest group before, but more candor than anything else about, hey, here are the issues we have or here is what we’re concerned about.”

Jim Phillips comments on ACC's pursuit of Notre Dame football - Saturday Road (saturdayroad.com; Davis)

Jim Phillips was asked about Notre Dame’s future at ACC Kickoff in Charlotte on Tuesday morning.

Phillips said that the ACC has had numerous conversations with Notre Dame leadership, but acknowledged that the program plans to keep its independence for at least the foreseeable future.

“We’ve had a lot of conversations, let me just put it bluntly, with Notre Dame,” Phillips said. “And they’ve been very clear. They value their independence. And I think they feel strong that will continue well into the future. If they ever have a desire of joining the conference, they know that we would welcome them with open arms.”

Notre Dame has been an ACC member in non-football sports since the 2013-14 academic year. Phillips said he believes the partnership over the past decade has been beneficial for both parties.

“I can’t speak for Jack [Swarbrick] right now or Pete [Bevacqua] in the future or father John [Jenkins], but I think it’s been a healthy relationship both ways,” Phillips added. “For the ACC and for Notre Dame. Their sports other than football I think have thrived in the ACC. I think they really enjoy the academic prowess that the ACC brings as well. But they’ve been pretty clear about their desire to stay independent so I don’t see that changing anytime soon.”

Notre Dame is in the midst of a transition at the top of its athletic department. Longtime athletic director Jack Swarbrick has announced his retirement and will step aside sometime in 2024 as former NBC Sports executive Pete Bevacqua prepares to take over the role.

ACC Commissioner's Press Conference 2023-July-25 (RX; HM)

ACC Commissioner's Press Conference 2023-July-25

From the Atlantic Coast Conference Football Kickoff Meeting of Tuesday, July 25, 2023, here's my breakdown of ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips' 2023 Commissioner Press Conference...

Highlights of the Commissioner's Speech

Re: Charlotte

"Let me start by acknowledging the city of Charlotte, our new conference home. Just a few blocks away on the 12th floor of the Legacy Union building, renovation work will soon be complete, and our staff will be moving into the space in the weeks ahead."

Phillips mentioned that the conference has "already held multiple league meetings in Uptown", and that ACC school leaders have met with "community and business leaders and the many sports teams that call Charlotte home" Of course, the ACC has a bowl game, the football championship, and a kickoff game all played in the home stadium of the NFL Carolina Panthers, so that's a no-brainer. And I assume there will be future basketball events played in the home of the NBA Charlotte Hornets. Charlotte's Minor League Baseball team, the Knights, play right down the street from the new ACC headquarters, so that figures to be a possible site for future ACC baseball events. Charlotte also has a US Olympic training facility for kayaking, and there's a PGA Tour golf course on the South side of town.

1923-2023 Pitt-Syracuse at Yankee Stadium (RX; HM)

1923-2023 Pitt-Syracuse at Yankee Stadium

From the official ACC release of Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Pitt-Syracuse Game at Yankee Stadium

to Start at 3:30 p.m. on Nov. 11th

GREENSBORO, N.C. (theACC.com) – The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the Pitt-Syracuse football game on Nov. 11 will start at 3:30 p.m. The game will be played at the new Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, commemorating the 100-year anniversary of the first college football game played at the original Yankee Stadium.
The television designation will be announced at a later date.
Pitt and Syracuse played the first-ever game in the original Yankee Stadium on Oct. 20, 1923, with Syracuse securing a 3-0 victory. The original Yankee Stadium was built in 1923, rebuilt in 1976 and replaced with a new Yankee Stadium in 2009. The Orange are 7-3 in 10 previous football games at either Yankee Stadium with wins in 1923 vs. Pitt, 1940 vs. NYU, 1941 vs. NYU, 1963 vs. Notre Dame, 1964 vs. Army, 2010 vs. Kansas State and 2012 vs. West Virginia.

Links, News and Rumors 2023 July 25 (RX; HM)

Links, News and Rumors 2023 July 25

From Sporitico: "A Legal Playbook for the NCAA to Challenge State NIL" by Michael McCann...

The NCAA is a membership organization. Member schools vote on proposed rules and agree to follow the rules that are adopted. If coaches, athletic department staff, athletes and boosters violate rules, the NCAA has the contractual right to impose penalties.
What happens if a state passes a law that prevents the NCAA from enforcing rules and issuing punishments? This has happened before and is happening again...
The NCAA could challenge these laws in court and argue they unlawfully interfere with two provisions in Article I of the U.S. Constitution: The Commerce Clause (Section 8) and the Contract Clause (Section 10). The NCAA has adopted this strategy before—and won...

It's official! We are set to play Miami annually for the trophy, which features the boots worn by Coach Howard Schnellenberger. #GoCards pic.twitter.com/CPWEExUjKM

2023 ACCN FB TV plans (RX; HM)

2023 ACCN FB TV plans

From the ESPN press release of Tuesday, July 25, 2023

ACC Network Unveils Season-Long Travel Plans for ACC Huddle and ACC PM; Kelsey Riggs Named New Huddle Host

• Wes Durham and Taylor Tannebaum to join ACC Primetime Football
  • ACCN’s Football Road Trip to visit all 14 ACC campuses for a third straight year, Aug. 7-24
  • Multi-part All Access with Carolina Football series debuts Thursday at 4 p.m. ET
  • New ACCN football anthem “Come for It All” debuts
ACC Network unveiled a series of exciting programming announcements and initiatives in anticipation of the 2023 college football season as ACC Football Kickoff officially started Tuesday in Charlotte, N.C.
For the first time in the Network’s history, two of ACCN’s signature programs, ACC Huddle and ACC PM, will travel to game sites each week this fall, and Kelsey Riggs will serve as the new host of ACC Huddle. It was also announced that longtime ACC football voice Wes Durham will call ACC Primetime Football games with Taylor Tannebaum serving as the new sideline reporter in addition to her ACC PM co-host role.
The 24/7 national network dedicated to ACC sports also announced: ACC Football Road Trip is returning for the third straight year with visits to all 14 campuses, Aug. 7-24; the new multi-part series All Access with Carolina Football will take fans inside the Tar Heel program (debuts Thursday, July 27); and ACCN introduced its 2023 football anthem, an evolution of its “Come for It All” brand platform. Details:

2023 Athlon Preseason ACC Bowl Projections (RX; HM)

2023 Athlon Preseason ACC Bowl Projections

Here are Athlon Sports' preseason ACC Bowl Projections for 2023 (along with a few comments):

College Football Playoff: None selected

Both Clemson and Florida State can make a run a the CFB Playoff in '23. But per Athlon's projections, the Seminoles and Tigers will fall just short.

New Year's Six Bowls

Projection: Orange Bowl - Florida State vs. Ohio State

Athlon's ACC predictions give Florida State a slight nod over Clemson for the conference crown. If the Seminoles play in a CFB Playoff or New Year's Six bowl in '23, it will be the program's first trip to a major bowl since '16.

Other Bowls

(In order of selection process for ACC)

Pop-Tarts: ACC vs. Big 12 (Dec. 28)

Projection: Clemson vs. Kansas State

Reliaquest: SEC vs. Big Ten/ACC (Jan. 1)

Projection: Miami vs. South Carolina

Holiday: ACC vs. Pac-12 (Dec. 27)

Projection: Notre Dame vs. Oregon State

Gator: ACC vs. SEC (Dec. 29)

Projection: North Carolina vs. Ole Miss

Duke's Mayo: ACC vs. SEC (Dec. 27)

Projection: Pitt vs. Kentucky

Sun: ACC vs. Pac-12 (Dec. 29)

Projection: Duke vs. Washington State

Pinstripe: ACC vs. Big Ten (Dec. 28)

Projection: Louisville vs. Nebraska

Military: ACC vs. American (Dec. 27)

Projection: Wake Forest vs. East Carolina

Fenway: ACC vs. American (Dec. 28)

Projection: Syracuse vs. Memphis

Gasparilla: ACC vs. SEC (Dec. 22)

Projection: NC State vs. Auburn

https://247sports.com/longformartic...ht-top-10-transfers-joining-league-213197972/ (247sports.com; Bahns)

The ACC has long been a destination for top-tier talent with programs such as Clemson, Miami and Florida State consistently drawing highly-ranked recruiting classes to campus, and that talent acquisition success translated to the league’s transfer portal efforts this offseason. Many of the most highly sought-after prospects committed to ACC schools over the last few months.

Two of the top 10 transfer classes in the nation stemmed from the ACC this year. With Florida State putting together the No. 5 haul in the country and Miami checking in right behind at No. 7, the league received an influx of big names — many of which could become instant standouts with their new teams.

While not all transfers live up to expectations, a large percentage of the high-end prospects typically fill key roles on their new teams. For the conference title contenders and College Football Playoff hopefuls in the ACC that welcomed big-name newcomers this year, contributions from these transfers could prove instrumental in putting together a successful campaign.

Here are the top 10 transfers joining ACC rosters ahead of the 2023 season.

10. FRANCISCO MAUIGOA, LB, MIAMI

Former School: Washington State
Transfer Rating: 4-Star | 92 Rating | No. 44 Overall | No. 3 LB
With seven Top247 transfers in their class, the Hurricanes boast the seventh-best haul in the nation for the 2023 cycle. Francisco Mauigoa is among those highly-touted newcomers and joins his brother, Francis Mauigoa, who signed this offseason with Miami out of high school. The eldest brother, who spent the first two years of his career at Washington State, hit the transfer portal after a breakout sophomore year in which he tallied 60 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks, three forced fumbles, a fumble recovery and an interception — which he returned 95 yards for a touchdown.

9. JEREMIAH BYERS, OT, FLORIDA STATE

Former School: UTEP
Transfer Rating: 4-Star | 92 Rating | No. 34 Overall | No. 2 OT
Though he signed with UTEP out of high school as just a two-star prospect, Jeremiah Byers elevated his stock across four years of development and became one of the top offensive linemen available in the portal. After making five starts across his first two seasons, Byers flourished as a full-time starter in 2021 and earned first-team All-Conference USA honors in 2022 as he helped the Miners develop into one of the more prolific offenses at the Group of Five level. With Byers in the mix, Florida State has the nation’s most experienced offensive line for the 2023 season.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...aul-as-miami-looks-for-reboot-in-2023-season/ (cbssports.com; Patterson)

Mario Cristobal is enthusiastic about the work that has gone into helping his Miami program rebound in 2023 after Year 1 under his watch fell short of expectations. Known as one of the top recruiters in the sport, Cristobal has applied his prowess on the trail to the modern methods of roster construction, building a team he believes has the right blend of players to push the Hurricanes in the right direction.

"I think what makes this roster work well is that the blend," Cristobal said Tuesday at the ACC Football Kickoff. "The blend is the right percentages of the different kinds of roster make-up components. By that I mean you have some seasoned veterans that have been here that have seen a lot of football, played a lot of football. You have an elite freshman class where some guys are going to be able to contribute and be impactful members on the field while others continue to develop.

"Then you have some seasoned, experienced transfer portal guys that have joined our team. These guys can tell you more than anything the transitions have been seamless because we've been open and honest from the beginning that we are building and rebuilding. We didn't sell any lofty expectations or any BS dreams. We're very real about it. When you do that, and you are introduced to the level of work that these guys are introduced to, it works well."

Other

YXV2NFAK3BGANIWXD5X4FCQJSY.jpeg

Finishing touches are being added to a new mural in Eastwood, alongside the Palace Theater, as part of the "City as Canvas" program. (Photo by Tania Ortiz)

https://www.syracuse.com/living/202...l-celebrates-the-village-within-the-city.html (PS; Ortiz)

Syracuse’s newest mural is getting its finishing touches. The mural can be seen in Eastwood, on the wall of the Palace Theatre on James Street.

The mural is the latest part of the $250,000 “City as Canvas” program run by Tomorrow’s Neighborhood Today in partnership with the Syracuse Public Art Commission. The program plans to roll out murals in the South Side, East Side and North Side neighborhoods later this year.

Marcellus Sr. High School art teacher Dan Bingham’s idea was selected from proposals by residents last year. His idea includes aspects of the community he is proud of as an Eastwood native.

“I think one of the reasons that the community chose Dan’s idea is because it’s very Eastwood-centric,” said Jimmy Monto, president of Tomorrow’s Neighborhood Today.

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2023/...-bring-neglected-properties-back-to-life.html (PS; Knauss)

Gov. Kathy Hochul’s renewed push to build housing may spur SUNY Upstate Medical University to do something with a shuttered 21-story apartment building and eight acres of vacant land. The Syracuse medical school has sat on both properties for years.

Citing a critical need to build new housing, Hochul last week ordered state agencies to review their property holdings “to identify potential sites for housing development.’’

Her executive order specifically named the state university system as one of the agencies required to conduct the review.

In Syracuse, Hochul’s order has special relevance for SUNY Upstate. The medical school inherited two former public housing properties more than a decade ago and has left portions of them undeveloped.

The under-utilized property includes Harrison House, a 21-story downtown apartment tower with 199 units. The state seized the run-down property and a second tower in 2009 over a defaulted mortgage and transferred the buildings to Upstate in 2010.

Harrison House has been vacant ever since. SUNY Upstate converted a mirror-image building called Townsend Tower to student housing in 2012, but never renovated Harrison House.

Oronde Gadsden II, a 2023 preseason All-American, told syracuse.com at ACC Kickoff on Tuesday that other programs were “promising six figures and up” in payments if he transferred.

Help me out here. Did OG enter the portal so this was legal? If he did not enter the portal, shouldn't this be considered as tampering?

Help me out here. Did OG enter the portal so this was legal? If he did not enter the portal, shouldn't this be considered as tampering?
Nobody is going to name names on this because everyone is guilty of it.