Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
giphy.gif

Welcome to World Crohn's and Colitis Day!

World Crohn’s and Colitis day is observed on May 23 every year. Crohn’s and Colitis are the two most common kinds of I.B.D. I.B.D. affects around 7 million people globally. Although it is not a prevalent disease, during the last 20 years, an increasing number of people have been diagnosed. Inflammatory bowel disease (I.B.D.), is a serious, chronic digestive disease with no cure, no recognized cause, and a lack of awareness of the pain and suffering that I.B.D. patients endure. World Crohn’s and Colitis day creates awareness of the struggles of such patients.

RIP Orangeyes.

SU News

USATSI_22033578_168384754_lowres-e1716400650711-832x447.jpg

Credit: Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

The Comeback: Today’s Top Sports Stories & Reactions Keeley)

The Syracuse Orange hired Fran Brown as their new head football coach in November.

While the former Georgia Bulldogs assistant was known as a recruiting whiz, he wasn’t exactly a household name. Some have wondered how the Camden, New Jersey product beat out many more high-profile coaching candidates for the position.

Turns out, he cold-called the Syracuse AD and made it happen himself.

“I wasn’t in the race. I’ve seen it. I looked at it. It kind of bothered me. A little upset about that,” Brown told Tim Green on the Nothing Left Unsaid podcast. “So what I did is I asked this agent I had, I said, can you give me the AD’s number, I didn’t know it was John Wildhack, I said, give me the AD’s number. And I called somebody else, told him to get me the AD’s number. They got me the number. I called it. He didn’t answer. And I shot him a text, told him who I was. And I said, could you just give me ten minutes? Five to ten minutes. The best way to find out about Fran Brown is through Fran Brown.

“He got on the call. That ten minutes went for about a half an hour. Then on Thanksgiving, he wanted to talk to me again for about 25 minutes. He said, give me another 30 minutes. That went for, like, an hour and 45. And then we just kind of through to it. I went for the interview… I answered every question. I knew all the old ball cause I do everything the right way.

“God just wanted me to be that coach at the time. You know, it was meant to happen. But I called it myself. I did it myself. I took the initiative. I’m getting everything done myself. Like, my agent and guys didn’t find out about the interview or me getting a job until after I got the job. Then I called him and said, ‘Could you…make sure the writing is all correct? You know, how much I’m gonna get paid.’

“I did everything, you know, I did everything on my own and just let them read the paperwork. I didn’t want nobody to mess this up. No one knew but me and my wife, you know, we kept it between us. We let nobody know it.”

(libsyn.com; podcast; Nothing Left Unsaid)

Ep. 12 - Fran Brown: Syracuse, Growing Up, Recruiting, Coaching | Tim Green NLU Podcast #12

Syracuse football hosts a 4-star Class of 2025 QB in early June. Who else is expected to visit? (early look) (PS; $; Leiker)

A potential top Class of 2025 recruit for Syracuse football has revealed when he’ll make an official visit this summer.

Malik Washington, a four-star quarterback from Severn, Maryland, will visit Syracuse the weekend of June 7, according to a report by 247Sports. He’ll also visit UCF from May 31-June 2 and Maryland from June 21-23.

Washington narrowed his list of schools to a top 6 of Syracuse, Maryland, Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, Oregon and Penn State in January. UCF was not on that list.

He plays for Archbishop Spalding High School, which finished the 2023 season 10-2 and won the MIAA A state title, and has been a starter for two seasons.

Washington (6-foot-4, 200 pounds) is the No. 7 player in Maryland and No. 24 quarterback in the 2025 cycle currently according to the 247Sports Composite.

He earned a spot in the Elite11 Finals in Los Angeles after being a top performer in the national QB camp and competition series’ regional in State College, Pennsylvania, this past weekend. The three-day Elite11 Finals have alumni that include Andrew Luck, Matthew Stafford and CJ Stroud.

Syracuse has one quarterback, three-star Luke Carney, already pledged to its 2025 class. It adds three-star Jakhari Williams, as well as preferred walk-ons AJ Miller and Patrick Grusser, in its 2024 class.

Syracuse football remains in pursuit of Tennessee commit Ethan Utley, a 4-star DL (itlh; Adler)

Ethan Utley, a 2025 four-star defensive lineman and a consensus top-200 national prospect in his class, verbally committed to Southeastern Conference member Tennessee in late March, although Syracuse football coaches continue to pursue him, per national analyst Marshall Levenson.

Earlier this spring, the 6-foot-4, 270-pound Utley had a final five of the 'Cuse, Michigan, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Texas.

Utley, prior to his commitment announcement, had visited all of his finalists, except for the Orange. And leading up to his decision, in-state Tennessee had some analyst buzz for him on recruiting Web sites, so when Utley picked the Volunteers, I wasn't all that surprised.

However, according to a recent article from Levenson, since verbally pledging to Tennessee in late March, two other suitors "have not let up in their pursuit."

They are the 'Cuse, led by head coach and ace recruiter Fran Brown, as well as SEC powerhouse Georgia, where Brown most recently served as the defensive backs coach before coming to the Hill.

Syracuse football remains in consistent communication with 2025 four-star DL Ethan Utley.

Utley is a standout rising senior at The Ensworth School in Nashville, Tenn. Throughout his recruiting process, he has amassed more than 40 offers from a range of high-major programs.

On December 4 of last year, Utley picked up a scholarship offer from the new Orange coaching staff. That, by the way, was the same day that SU Athletics formally introduced Brown as the new head coach of Syracuse football.

Syracuse Football: In new rankings, two 4-star verbal commits in top 60 nationwide (itlh; Adler)

Media outlet and recruiting service On3 has updated its national rankings of the top-300 prospects in the 2026 class, and Syracuse football is well-represented in this refresh.

Head coach Fran Brown and his top-flight staff are off to a fast start in the 2026 cycle, already picking up verbal commitments from three talented players in the rising junior cycle.

Now, it will be some time before 2026 prospects can officially sign on with their respective college squads, so let's see how everything pans out with current and future 'Cuse pledges in this class.

At the same time, when I wrote this article on Tuesday, the Orange's 2026 cycle checked in at No. 3 nationally, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, as well as No. 6 overall via .

Syracuse football 2026 four-star verbal commits are highly ranked in updated national ratings.

The 'Cuse first got on the board in this class in late March, when four-star athlete/defensive back Demetres Samuel Jr. verbally committed to Syracuse football. The 6-foot-2, 185-pound Samuel is with Heritage High School in Palm Bay, Fla.

Staying in the Sunshine State, in mid-April, four-star linebacker/edge Izayia Williams verbally pledged to the Orange. The 6-foot-1, 215-pound Williams is a standout at Tavares High School in Tavares, Fla.

A few days later, on April 20, word broke on social media that four-star running back D'Antae Sheffey had also verbally committed to Syracuse football. The 6-foot, 190-pound Sheffey suits up for Harrisburg High School in Harrisburg, Pa.

Here are the latest 2026 rankings from On3 for this trio of Orange verbal pledges:

Demetres Samuel Jr.

No. 52 overall, No. 4 at athlete and No. 10 in Florida

Izayia Williams
No. 41 overall, No. 3 at linebacker and No. 6 in Florida

D'Antae Sheffey
No. 237 overall, No. 26 at running back and No. 7 in Pennsylvania

Syracuse Football We She You. Greatness is Waiting Around The Corner #CoachFranBrown (youtube; podcast; Big Tiger Media)

Syracuse Football We She You. Greatness is Waiting Around The Corner #CoachFranBrown

Daniel Greene "The 315" 5-22-24 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Newman & Lickstein lawyer Daniel Greene joins Brian to discuss the Jaden Rashada lawsuit against Florida coach Billy Napier and boosters, ACC joining the Big 12 in settling with the NCAA, and more.

Who Is Considered Syracuse Football's Biggest Rival? (orangefizz.net; Papillo)

The weather’s getting warmer, which means we’re one step closer to Fran Brown’s inaugural season as head coach. Summer camp is about to get underway, with the campaign officially kicking off on August 31st. But the more and more fans look over this schedule, the more fans feel like something is missing. Where’s the one game that the SU faithful would have circled on their calendars, desperate for a win? This brings up the question, does Syracuse football even have a rival these days? If they do, who is it? Let’s dive into the closest programs that would fit that mold.

Pittsburgh

This one probably makes the most sense. The Orange and the Panthers have gone way back with one another, playing their first game back in 1916. The two have shared conferences in both the Big East and the ACC, but do the games between the two really carry that importance you look for in a rivalry? The programs have met yearly since 1955, but only three of those matchups have featured both teams ranked in the top 25. The two squared off at Yankee Stadium last season, and have been designated by the conference as each other’s “rivals” to continue playing each season. It checks the boxes on paper, but does Week 8’s matchup in the Steel City really keep SU fans up at night in anticipation?

Boston College

This is another matchup where the two programs can’t get enough of one another. SU and BC first met in 1924, and also both occupied the Big East conference throughout the late 20th century. The two played annually from 1971 to 2004 until Boston College went to the ACC, in which Syracuse followed suit not much later. Both teams are slated to face off against one another until 2030 in that same grouping as Pitt, so maybe some future bad blood could be brewed out of that. Aside from a sour taste in Orange fans’ mouths from last season’s primetime matchup, this one doesn’t seem as reasonable with little to no games having major stakes between the two in their histories.

Colgate

One thing you look for in a rivalry is close proximity to one another. Syracuse and Colgate certainly have that, being located just 38 miles from one another, with Colgate University being in Hamilton, NY. If you’re gonna call this a rivalry though, it would be one of the most one-sided in collegiate history. The Orange haven’t lost to the Raiders since 1950, and the matchups aren’t as frequent as they once were. SU and Colgate played almost annually from 1891 to 1961, but have only squared off three times this century. A majority of the contests have been lopsided in the Orange favor, most recently taking down the Raiders 65-0. Syracuse’s biggest rival being an FCS school doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, but it is something to monitor if Colgate can one-up the ‘Cuse sometime down the road.

https://www.bradenton.com/sports/high-school/article288637815.html (bradenton;.com; Dill)

Palmetto High School has a new head football coach. The Tigers hired Eric Sanders this week, according to multiple sources. Sanders replaces Rashad West, who resigned in March.

Sanders spent the last 12 years at Braden River High School. He was a longtime offensive coordinator for the Pirates, before becoming their head coach in January. Sanders was named the Pirates’ head coach after Curt Bradley left in December to coach at Southeast High.

Under Sanders, Braden River’s offense flourished over the last 12 seasons. His offenses averaged more than 30 points per game in multiple seasons and Braden River’s teams made the playoffs nine times.

Numerous offensive players left Braden River to play in college. One player is Ryan Neuzil, who plays for the Atlanta Falcons in the NFL. Neuzil re-signed with the Falcons in March, and was their backup center in 2023.

Sanders was a two-time All American quarterback at Northern Iowa from 2003 to 2007, finishing second for the Walter Payton Award — the FCS version of the Heisman Trophy — in his senior season.

After college, Sanders was a graduate assistant at Syracuse University from 2008 to 2010, then became a wide receivers coach at Northern Iowa in 2010. He also coached running backs and was a recruiting coordinator in 2011 at Northern Iowa.

In 2012, he moved to Bradenton to become Bradley’s offensive coordinator and associate head coach at Braden River. Palmetto went 5-5 last season, losing to Sarasota Riverview in the first round of the Class 4S playoffs.

Kevin Jobity Jr Syracuse Orange football Mug, Poster, Ornament and Flag, hoodie, sweater, long sleeve and tank top (t-shirtsale,com)

Kevin Jobity Jr Syracuse Orange football Mug, Poster, Ornament and Flag - From a Gift to a Message
Get ready for a delightful beginning to your day with a custom ceramic coffee mug. Add a personal touch by choosing from a variety of cool designs, photos, or logos to enhance that satisfying moment. This mug is not only a gift, this i the message, It is also safe to use in the microwave and dishwasher. Made from durable white ceramic, it comes in two sizes - 11-ounce and 15-ounce. With the help of advanced printing technology, your designs will come alive with vibrant colors, making it an ideal gift for coffee, tea, and chocolate enthusiasts.

Key features and Care guidelines:

• Glossy ceramic
  • Available in many colors
  • Microwave-safe
  • Dishwasher-safe
Clean in dishwasher or wash by hand with dish soap and warm water carefully.

ACC News

Is Syracuse a deep sleeper to win the ACC? #shorts #acc #collegefootball (youtube; podcast; Hack City)

Is Syracuse a deep sleeper to win the ACC? #shorts #acc #collegefootball

Ranking all 17 ACC football stadiums ahead of the 2024 college football season (usatoday.com; Turri)

Alex, you might want to do a little research before writing next time...

College football is constantly evolving, and the ACC is adding to that change by bringing in three new programs for the 2024 season.

Stanford, Cal, and SMU are now part of the ACC, which means more teams, travel, and competition. Whether this change is good or bad is up for debate, but it’s happening.

With these new teams come new stadiums for ACC games. How do these new stadiums compare to the existing ones in the conference? That’s what we’re discussing today. We’ve already analyzed these stadiums by capacity, but what about as a whole?

Our criteria are simple: quality, atmosphere, and location. The first two matter more than location, but these are the criteria I set. Remember, this is opinion-based, so if you have gripes, it’s expected. Here are our rankings for the ACC stadiums heading into the 2024 season.

17 Pitt Panthers

Where: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Name: Acrisure Stadium
Capacity: 68,400
Opened: 2001
An NFL stadium at the bottom of the list? ABSOLUTELY. While it’s a fine stadium, it has zero feel of a college football stadium and crushed what could be an awesome atmosphere. College football programs, especially ones such as Pitt, should have their own stadium. Again, it’s a fine stadium, but based on our criteria, it is bottom of the barrel.

16 Miami Hurricanes

Where: Miami Gardens, Florida
Name: Hard Rock Stadium
Capacity: 65,326
Opened: 1987
If we were going strictly off the stadium itself, this would be much higher. Even so, a nice stadium can’t save you from an awful atmosphere and a miserable situation. It’s wildly difficult for students to go to games due to distance, to the point where the stadium is remotely as filled as it could be on a game to game basis. For such a top-tier program, a game at Hard Rock Stadium was a poor experience. Same rules go here as they did for Pitt.

15 Syracuse Orange

Where: Syracuse, New York
Name: JMA Wireless Dome
Capacity: 49,057
Opened: 1980
Okay, this one hurts. Years ago, this would have been much higher, but JMA Wireless isn’t what it used to be (for me, at least). The name change alone should mark it down substantially! At this point, while it’s a fine venue, it doesn’t feel like a football venue nowadays. It could use some upgrades and something that will make it feel more important for the football program.

14 Duke Blue Devils

Where: Durham, North Carolina
Name: Wallace Wade Stadium
Capacity: 40,004
Opened: 1929
I had a great time at Wallace Wade, but I think my experience was a little clouded to be completely transparent. As an away fan, I think I saw just as many away fans as home fans—probably not as many, but close, which really knocked them on the atmosphere mark. The stadium itself, while small, was nice and in a great area.

13 Boston College Eagles

Where: Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts
Name: Alumni Stadium
Capacity: 44,500
Opened: 1995

Alumni Stadium was definitely lower-tier when it came to quality. It sort of looked, in a way, beat up. That being said, its atmosphere that matters here. I was shocked by how rowdy and insane this crowd was. Bonus points for that, but overall not a great stadium.

2024 post-spring, post-portal ACC Power Rankings (on3.com; Simonton)

With spring football and the second transfer portal window (essentially) in the rearview mirror, we’re officially entered the doldrums of the college football offseason.

Or have we?

Although the spring transfer window wasn’t the dizzying carousel many anticipated, so much has changed since the Early Signing Period in December now is the perfect time to asses where teams stand entering the summer before the 2024 season. We debuted the series with the post-portal, post-spring Power Rankings series with SEC and then followed that up with the Big Ten.

Today it’s the ACC, and the now bi-costal league (hello, Cal, Stanford and SMU), features a familiar few teams at the top — especially with the work Florida State and Miami have done in the portal this offseason. Clemson remains a threat and NC State and Va. Tech could be sneaky good.

Here’s how I think the league stacks up exiting the spring with the 2024 post-spring, post-portal ACC Rankings:

1. Florida State

While the Seminoles are currently in litigation to leave the ACC, Mike Norvell aims to win a second-straight conference title. DJ Uiagalelei is back in the league, but FSU is likely to rely on a retooled defense and a deep backfield. Transfers Marvin Jones (edge, Georgia), Earl Little (nickel, Alabama) and Shawn Murphy (linebacker, Alabama) carved out key roles this spring, and Norvell, who’s had the Midas touch when it comes to landing impact transfers, dipped into the portal for a pair of other defensive contributors during the second window.

2. Clemson

The Tigers’ claim to the No. 2 spot in the post-spring, post-portal rankings has as much to do with my reticence with Miami than it does confidence in Clemson. Dabo Swinney continues to stick his foot in his mouth about why his program doesn’t use the transfer portal (zero additions — the only power conference school in the country to do so). The Tigers do return a defense littered with NFL talent, and freshmen wideouts TJ Moore and Bryant Wesco look to provide more support for quarterback Cade Klubnik. But Klubnik has yet to fulfill his 5-star ranking and the OL remains underwhelming.

3. Miami

The Hurricanes have as much offseason hype as any program in the country, as Mario Cristobal followed up a Top 5 recruiting class and solid winter window (quarterback Cam Ward) with a super-splashy spring. Miami brought in Oregon State standout tailback Damien Martinez, Michigan State defensive tackle, Simeon Barrow, Marshall corner D’Yoni Hill and Houston receiver Sam Brown, among others — all of whom will start in 2024. With all the offseason additions, Miami’s offense could be the best in the ACC this fall, but have the ‘Canes done enough this offseason to bolster a defense that ranks 84th nationally in returning production.

4. NC State

Could this be the season that Dave Doeren finally wins 10 games and has the Wolfpack seriously competing for an ACC Championship? Maybe. Doeren & Co., are counting on a host of offensive transfers — from quarterback Grayson McCall, tailbacks Jordan Waters and Hollywood Smothers and receivers Noah Rogers and Wesley Grimes — to help star wideout KC Concepcion provide more fireworks in 2024. Although NC State lost all-everything linebacker Peyton Wilson, the Wolfpack did retain key pieces in corner Aydan White and pass rusher Davin Vann. They brought in several rotational pieces this spring, including Ohio State safety/nickel Ja’Had Carter.

5. Louisville

The Cardinals arguably merited being higher ranking before a rather bizarre spring window where 10 players left the program — many of whom had just transferred to Louisville months earlier. Out the door when impact players like tailback Peny Boone, pass rusher Tyler Baron and safety Wesley Walker. Jeff Brohm did load up on defensive additions during the spring, adding five more newcomers to the roster — a total of 24 transfers in 2024. Top edge rusher Ashton Gillotte and cornerback Quincy Riley are both back, but the schedule is much more difficult and Brohm is banking big that this is the year quarterback Tyler Shough finally stays healthy.

6. Virginia Tech

Brent Pry returns a team that ranks No. 5 nationally in returning production (including No. 1 for an offense that really found its mojo midway through last season after turning to quarterback Kyron Drones). Va. Tech managed to keep former Florida edge Antwaun Powell-Ryland in Blacksburg, and the Hokies could have the best pass rush in the ACC with APR, Cole Nelson, Duke transfer Aeneas Peebles and JUCO tackle Kamari Copeland, a newcomer who was praised for his play this spring. They also added former 4-star defensive tackle Khurtiss Perry from Alabama, and grabbed some insurance for Drones in ex-UCLA/Kent State quarterback Collin Schlee.

7. SMU

Rhett Lashlee is confident the Mustangs can be competitive in their first season back in a power conference, with double-digit starters back off last season’s AAC title team including quarterbackPreston Stone. Stone sat out the spring still rehabbing his 2023 leg injury, but the belief is the All-AAC quarterback will be ready to go come the fall. SMU suffered some significant losses in the spring portal (All-Conference OL Marcus Bryant, starting center Bransn Hickman), but the Mustangs did bring in a pair of Arkansas offensive line transfers, as well as defensive help from Texas, Miami and Colorado.

8. Georgia Tech

The spring was all about defensive improvement for a Yellow Jackets unit that ranked last in the ACC in 2023. Former Duke defensive coordinator Tyler Santucciimplemented six newcomers from the winter window, and then Ga. Tech added another five defensive transfers in the spring — headlined by USC pass rusher Romello Height, Cincy safety Jayden Davis and Penn State lineman Jordan van den Berg (all Peach State natives coming home). The Yellow Jackets should have one of the better offenses in the conference with quarterback Haynes King (led ACC in touchdowns), 1,000-yard rusher Jamal Haynes and their top three receivers all back.

9. North Carolina

The Tar Heels have hit a crossroad this offseason, failing to capitalize on a pair of NFL quarterbacks in recent years (Sam Howell, Drake Maye) and now entering a new era with an aging Mack Brown hoping his latest defensive coordinator hire (former Georgia Tech head coach Geoff Collins) finally hits. Despite rampant rumors, UNC was able to hold onto its best players in All-ACC tailback Omarion Hamptonand pass rusher Kaimon Rucker, and former NC State/Ole Miss defensive tackle Josh Harris was a sneaky spring addition. Still, transfer quarterback Max Johnson failed to grab the job during spring practice, leading UNC to add boomerang transferJacolby Criswellback from Arkansas to compete with Johnson and Conner Harrell in fall camp.

10. Syracuse

First-time head coach Fran Brown hasn’t wasted any time flipping Syracuse’s roster and potentially setting up the Orange for a surprise season in Year 1. Syracuse has a cake schedule (zero power conference teams outside of the ACC, plus no FSU, Clemson) and a point-man at quarterback in Ohio State transfer Kyle McCord. In total, the former Georgia assistant has inked 17 newcomers from the portal — including five former Bulldogs, Alabama defensive lineman Isaiah Hastings, Texas A&M edge Fadil Diggs and Colorado State wideout Justus Ross-Simmons. With stud hybrid tight end Oronde Gadsden II back healthy, Syracuse could be a tough out in 2024.

Countdown to Kickoff: Opinion Week - The ACC will Survive and Tech will Thrive (fromtherumbleseat.com; Cramer)

It’s a foregone conclusion that FSU and Clemson want out of the conference. The offseason storylines have been littered with court proceedings from lawsuits and countersuits between the ACC and its two power teams. The overall perception of the league is that without Clemson and FSU there is no value left. That perception is false.

The problem with College Football is perception is built by the networks, has recency bias, and your ability to compete for national championships. Until FSU’s 13-1 season last year, people asked if the Seminoles could even perform in the SEC or Big Ten. Clemson, once a stalwart in the postseason, is now considered underachieving by its standards and suffers for it. Let any other team not named Alabama or UGA in the SEC have 9 wins as their worst season in a decade and you will hear a different tune.

So why would Clemson and FSU bolting off to destinations unknown not be bad for the remaining members? Because in the new era of playoff football, someone has to fill the void. There is a lot of debate about who would gobble up the remaining schools when the conference splits. There isn’t a reason for the conference to fracture. ESPN and FOX have made it clear that the Big Ten and SEC aren’t getting additional revenue for added teams until it's time to restructure deals (2031 for the Big Ten and 2034 for the SEC). We’ve already seen new members come in at lower paydays into the Big Ten this year. The ACC already receives more than the Big 12 in playoff money and is still guaranteed an auto-bid in the playoffs until the 2026 “look-in” where they can amend the structure.

The ACC wouldn’t lose that auto-bid after 2026 if no one else leaves the conference. UNC, Virginia Tech, and Miami are all strong brands that would now no longer be second fiddle to Clemson and FSU. NC State has been just short of competing and has a strong following as well. These teams would compete for a playoff and the networks would be beside themselves to have a chance at putting Miami back into national relevance. The ACC would still be at a different level than any G5 conference and still has the 2036 contract on top of whatever settlement the ACC gets out of Clemson and FSU.

Georgia Tech, or any other ACC member, stands to benefit if it can capitalize on the right place, right time scenario. Clemson and FSU being gone would ease the conference schedule that has been a thorn in the Yellow Jacket’s side. Clemson, until this year, has been a permanent opponent on Tech’s schedule. Miami was the only other Coastal team that had to deal with FSU and Clemson in the same year. Tech would have been perceived as more competitive through Coach Paul Johnson’s years if Clemson was not a regular opponent and most likely could have a few more Coastal titles. We know what Collins’s era was and it has been a dead weight for recent bias, but Tech is back above the .500 mark and looks to carry that with a strong returning roster for 2024 and a very manageable schedule in 2025.

The year 2025 is where I want to break down what this could look like. It would be the first possible year Clemson and FSU could be out.

CBS Sports predicts Clemson will reclaim the top spot in the ACC (usatoday; Turri)

Dabo Swinney and the Clemson football program need a huge year in 2024, with varying opinions on if the Tigers can do it.

Most see the Tigers struggling to return to the top shelf of college football teams next season, while others see Clemson turning things around and taking back their spot on the throne atop the ACC.

CBS Sports recently discussed this in their storylines to follow for 2024, with Clemson returning to claim the top spot in the ACC as their No. 9 bold prediction.

Maybe a stretch for “bold,” and certainly not spicy since the Tigers are co-favorites to win the ACC along with Florida State, but this prediction comes with additional expectation that Clemson will reassert its dominance against lesser teams in the conference. While Pitt or Syracuse would weaponize itself every now and then for an upset or upset scare, Clemson largely ran through a good portion of its ACC schedule during its six-year reign as league champion. I think we get back to those kind of wins from Clemson thanks to an improved passing game that should benefit from a healthy wide receiver room and the arrival of instant impact young players like Bryant Wesco.
The wins they are talking about here that will get Clemson back don’t sound like much, but they are. A win is a win, and when you dominate your conference, it doesn’t matter how close some of these games are if you walk away with Ws.

This is one of the first times I’ve seen people acknowledge the lack of health for Clemson at wide receiver last season as well. People love to point fingers, but don’t always take into account the full scope of what’s going on.

While those who believe Clemson is on its way back up are in the minority, there is more than you’d think.

Big 12 and ACC's Competitive Future on the Line | Historic Day in College Athletics (youtube; podcast; Kurtz)
The House settlement should be approved by the NCAA and all conferences tomorrow. Private equity is here...and that's a bad thing.

Post-Spring ACC QB Rankings (youtube; podcast; The Crowded Booth)
Join Bryce Koon and the crew as they rank the quarterbacks of the ACC heading into 2024

Rx: 6 Games to Change ACC Perception (RX; HM)

Rx: 6 Games to Change ACC Perception

When it comes to the perception of a conference, every non-conference game matters*, but some matter more than others. Here are 6 early-season games that will likely shape the ACC narrative...

DateMatch-up
Thursday,
Aug. 29
North Carolina at Minnesota
Friday,
Aug. 30
TCU at Stanford
Saturday,
Aug. 31
Clemson vs. Georgia
(Atlanta)
Miami at Florida
Virginia Tech at Vanderbilt
Friday,
Sept. 6
BYU at SMU
Saturday,
Sept. 7
Tennessee vs. NC State
(Charlotte)
Cal at Auburn
Duke at Northwestern
Pitt at Cincinnati
Saturday,
Sept. 14
Boston College at Missouri
West Virginia at Pitt
Maryland at Virginia
Ole Miss at Wake Forest
Saturday,
Sept. 21
Michigan St at Boston College
TCU at SMU
Rutgers at Virginia Tech

Honestly, I could make an argument for all 5 of the P4 non-conference games in Week 1, but we know that ACC football - fair or not - will be judged based on how Clemson and Miami perform against Georgia and Florida. Sweep those games and the stage is set for a very good season! Even a split where Clemson loses a close game to Georgia and Miami wins, perhaps decisively, over Florida would be a great start. A win by UNC and/or Stanford would be nice as well, but not critical.

The biggest OOC game in Week 2 is Tennessee vs NC State. The Wolfpack really need to win that one if they are going to be legitimate contenders, but again, a close loss doesn't hurt the entire league, IMO. Cal also has the opportunity to spoil Auburn's season - but that game is in Jordan-Hare Stadium, so that might be a tall order. It's important for Pitt to avenge their loss to Cincinnati last year because...

Links, News, and Rumors 2024 May 22 (RX; HM)

Links, News, and Rumors 2024 May 22

From ESPN: ACC joins Big 12, votes to settle House v. NCAA case

The ACC has joined the Big 12 conference as the second named party in House v. NCAA to vote to settle that case and related antitrust cases... The ACC presidents voted in person in Charlotte at their meetings Tuesday evening...
The settlement is widely expected to pass, which will chart a new course for college sports in establishing a framework for schools to share millions of dollars with their athletes in the future and create a fund of more than $2.7 billion to pay former athletes who were not allowed to sign name, image and likeness (NIL) deals...
The key parts of the settlement include the NCAA paying for more than $2.7 billion in back damages over a decade, about $1.6 billion of which will be withheld from schools.
There's also roughly $20 million in permissive revenue sharing that's expected to begin in fall 2025. This revenue sharing will give athletic departments the direct ability to pay the players, a massive paradigm shift for college athletics.
The point of the schools settling is to avoid even bigger damages down the road, which legal experts considered a likelihood considering the NCAA's poor record in court cases...

Goodbye amateurism. Hello, professional college athletics.

2024 Friday Night Games (RX; HM)

2024 Friday Night Games
Friday's definitely aren't just for high school football any more...

Fox recently released a bunch of Friday night college football games they've scheduled - mostly from the Big Ten. This is the first year that ESPN- and the ACC - has had serious competition for that time slot. Here's what we know so far...

2024 Friday night college football schedule

Friday, Aug. 30

Temple at Oklahoma - 7:00 pm, ESPN (SEC)
TCU at Stanford - 10:30 pm, ESPN (ACC)

Friday, Sept. 6

BYU at SMU - tbd (ACC)

Friday, Sept. 13

Arizona at K-State – 8pm, FOX (XII)

Friday, Sept. 20

Illinois at Nebraska – 8pm, FOX (B1G)
Stanford at Syracuse - tbd (ACC)

Friday, Sept. 27

Washington at Rutgers – 8pm, FOX (B1G)
Virginia Tech at Miami - tbd (ACC)

Friday, Oct. 4

Michigan St. at Oregon – 9pm, FOX (B1G)

Friday, Oct. 11

Northwestern at Maryland – 8pm, FOX (B1G)

Friday, Oct. 18

Oregon at Purdue – 8pm, FOX (B1G)
Florida State at Duke - tbd (ACC)

Friday, Oct. 25

Rutgers at USC – 11pm, FOX (B1G)
Louisville at Boston College - tbd (ACC)

Friday, Nov. 8

Iowa at UCLA – 9pm, FOX (B1G)
Cal at Wake Forest - tbd (ACC)

Friday, Nov. 15

UCLA at Washington – 9pm, FOX (B1G)

Friday, Nov. 22

Purdue at Michigan St. – 8pm, FOX (B1G)

Friday, Nov. 29

Utah at UCF – 8pm, FOX (XII)

Friday, Dec. 6

Mountain West Championship – 8pm, FOX
American Athletic Championship - 8pm, ABC

OBSERVATIONS:

First, the ACC doesn't have a Friday game scheduled for every weekend - not yet, at least. However, between September 20th and November 22nd, Fox has a Big Ten game scheduled every Friday night. The season also begins with SEC and Big XII games on Fridays, and ends with another Big XII game.

BREAKING: TNT sublicenses CFP games from ESPN (RX; HM)

BREAKING: TNT sublicenses CFP games from ESPN
From the ESPN Press Release of May 22, 2024 ...

TNT Sports to Present College Football Playoff Games Through Sublicense with ESPNTNT Sports to Present College Football Playoff Games Through Sublicense with ESPN
TNT Sports to Exclusively Televise Two First Round Games Each of Next Five Seasons; Additionally, Two Quarterfinal Games Beginning with 2026 Season
ESPN and TNT Sports have reached a five-year agreement for TNT Sports to sublicense select College Football Playoff (CFP) games from ESPN, beginning with the upcoming college football season.
TNT Sports will present two first-round College Football Playoff games during the 2024 and 2025 seasons. In addition to the first-round games, TNT Sports will add two quarterfinal games each year –beginning with the 2026 season through the 2028 season. TNT will be the primary network televising the sublicensed CFP games, among additional TNT Sports distribution platforms.
ESPN will present all other College Football Playoff games on its networks including the annual CFP National Championship Game. ESPN will also continue to manage the sponsorship program for the presentation of the CFP...

Florida State Calls NORTH CAROLINA for ACC Lawsuit Help, ACC Crumbling with Clemson Also On Brink (youtube; podcast; Locked on B12)

Florida State Calls NORTH CAROLINA for ACC Lawsuit Help, ACC Crumbling with Clemson Also On Brink

Other

ALH44QZLOVEE3ELYSDNHYCWBNY.jpg

Hunter Kremmin
Upstate NY angler ‘truly stoked’ after landing wild tiger trout (PS; Featherstone)

Self-avowed trout fishing addict Hunter Kremmin was having a great day fishing recently at one of his favorite spots on the Genesee River near his hometown in Wellsville. He’d landed a few wild browns, including a beautiful golden-hued 23-incher.

Then things really got wild.

Hunter Kremmin, a self-avowed trout fishing 'addict,' caught a rare tiger trout on the Genesee River near his home in Wellsville, along with these superb wild brown trout.Hunter Kremmins

Kremmin always goes out with three rods: one rigged for bottom bouncing; one knotted for lures; and a centerpin for drifting. After catching (and releasing) the brown beauty on his centerpin, he recast into the same drift, using half an emerald shiner under a float for bait.

The drift ran anywhere from two to nine feet deep. Right around six feet the float went down and Kremmin set the hook. As the fish surfaced he caught a glimpse of what looked like stripes, but he didn’t think much of it. He’d seen some crazy-looking browns in the river that could fool anyone.

https://www.syracuse.com/weather/2024/05/syracuse-breaks-113-year-record-high-temperature.html (PS; $; Alba)
Syracuse on Wednesday broke a 113-year record for high temperature.

The previous record of 92 degrees was set in 1911, according to the National Weather Service.

At 2:48 p.m. the weather service reported a temperature of 93 degrees in Syracuse.

An average temperature this date is 60 degrees.

Syracuse’s official weather records began in 1903.

It’s unlikely the area will break another record this week. The weather service is forecasting the hot weather to break somewhat starting tomorrow, with highs in the low 80s through Saturday.

https://www.syracuse.com/business/2...new-hampshire-faces-possible-foreclosure.html (PS; Kinney)
Holders of the mortgage on Hadley’s Hampshire Mall have started foreclosure proceedings, following a pattern at other Pyramid-owned properties around the county that were refinanced at the last minute.

A legal notice appearing Wednesday in the Daily Hampshire Gazette set a potential auction for 11 a.m. June 20 at the mall at 367-375 Russell St. In a report, the Gazette noted the current $19 million tax assessment is
about half the $37 million valuation that the town put on the property in 2010.

Last edited: