Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
220602_DD_The-Best-Ever-Cheeseburger_267-760x1140.jpg

Welcome to National Cheeseburger Day!

Hamburgers are pretty satisfying, but they are just a little bit better when they are topped with cheese and turned into cheeseburgers. Celebrated today, cheeseburgers can be made with many types of cheese—as long as it has good meltability. Fast food restaurants often use processed cheese, such as American, but cheddar, pepper jack, Swiss, mozzarella, and blue cheese are often used to make cheeseburgers as well. Cheese slices are usually placed on top of burgers right before they are done cooking so that the cheese begins to melt over them. Multiple patties and multiple pieces of cheese may be used in each cheeseburger. Some cheeseburgers even have the cheese inside of the burger, often being called a Juicy Lucy. Just as with hamburgers, many other toppings are often added to cheeseburgers as well, such as ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, pickles, onions, lettuce, tomato, sauteed mushrooms, avocado, and bacon.

Adding cheese to burgers gained popularity late-1920s to mid-1930s. There are various stories to as how the cheeseburger came to be, and multiple people have claimed to have invented it. The most common story says that Lionel Sternberger invented the cheeseburger sometime between 1924 and 1926 while working at his father's restaurant, The Rite Spot, in Pasadena, California. One version of the story says he came up with the idea to drop cheese on a burger by himself, while another says a homeless person suggested to Sternberger to do so. Eventually, his burger was added to the menu as a "cheese hamburger." One reason some do not give Sternberger credit for inventing the cheeseburger is because his burger was not technically called a cheeseburger.

SU News

Syracuse football vs. Stanford predictions: See our picks (PS; $; Staff)

The Syracuse football team will face Stanford at 7:30 p.m., Friday in the JMA Wireless Dome (TV: ESPN).

It’s time for our predictions. The panel includes Brent Axe, sports columnist; Chris Carlson, sports enterprise reporter; Emily Leiker, SU football reporter and Nate Mink, managing producer for sports.

BRENT AXE

Syracuse 34, Stanford 20

Will Syracuse cover? Yes

Syracuse welcomes Stanford to the ACC with a Friday Night Lights experience at the JMA Dome that will see Kyle McCord throw for four touchdowns for the third straight game against the 118th ranked pass defense in the country. Will that be good enough to vault the Orange into the AP Top 25? Let’s see if Syracuse cleaned up those special teams issues during the bye week as well.

CHRIS CARLSON

Syracuse 34, Stanford 20

Will Syracuse cover? Yes

My picks have been dreadful this year. I didn’t give Ohio enough credit in the opener. Then I made the amateur mistake of completely over-reacting to what I saw in Week 1. Let’s get back to basics. Syracuse is the better team and playing at home.

Stanford is the best pass-rush that Syracuse has faced -- it’s not a very high bar -- but it’s not good enough to really make SU’s offense uncomfortable. That will be the big thing to watch moving forward but it’s not going to be a major headache for the Orange this week.

EMILY LEIKER

Syracuse 45, Stanford 17

Will Syracuse cover? Yes

Two games into the season and it feels like it will be difficult to pick any defense against the production of Kyle McCord, Trebor Peña and Oronde Gadsden II.

Stanford’s defense allowed an average 461.7 yards of offense by opponents last year and is allowing 343.3 through the first two games of this season.

Syracuse is averaging 497.5 yards per game, powered by that star trio.

Need I say more?

NATE MINK

Syracuse 42, Stanford 14

Will Syracuse cover? Yes

Keeping Up With The 315 9-17-24 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian Higgins reacts to Tennessee’s 10% “talent fee”, listens to Stanford HC Troy Taylor’s scouting report for Syracuse, and provides his weekly ACC football rankings.

(youtube; podcast; WakeUpDT)

Wake Up Call with Dan Tortora welcomes Alban Brown, Syracuse Orange LB alum & father of current Orange LB Caden Brown, to speak on Syracuse so far & Fran Brown, followed by an ALL-NEW "Bearcat Breakroom" featuring Head Coach Paul Marco, Carlo Cavalar, & Luke Yates of Binghamton University Men's Soccer following 4-2-1 start, & the "Ingredients to Success" on the topic "A Steady Hand in Chaos" presented by Avicolli's Restaurant...

‘Cuse Militia Podcast: Episode 488- Syracuse Football- Stanford Preview/Prediction! (bleav.com; podcast; Cuse Militia)

What's up Cuse Nation?!?! Syracuse is back and so are we! Bringing you our mediocre best, taking a stab at a Stanford @ Syracuse preview. We'll hear your predictions and give you ours as well!

Stanford football solidifies offensive line changes ahead of Syracuse game (stanforddaily.com; Sampath)

On Monday, Stanford head football coach Troy Taylor spoke at a weekly press conference before Friday’s game against Syracuse.

Taylor opts for youth on the offensive line
On the depth chart released Tuesday, freshman left tackle Khalil House was named to the first string alongside sophomore right tackle Luke Baklenko. Both were named starters over senior left tackle Jack Leyrer and senior right tackle Connor McLaughlin.
House and Baklenko also received starts in Stanford’s 41-7 [COLOR=var( --e-global-color-text )]win against Cal Poly[/COLOR], although the offensive line struggled, allowing nine tackles for loss to an FCS opponent. In addition to House and Baklenko, senior center Levi Rogers, junior left guard Jake Maikkula and sophomore right guard Simione Pale will round out the offensive line.
Despite the offensive line’s early struggles to get a push against Cal Poly’s defensive line, it appears that Taylor’s priority is to invest in Stanford’s youth offensive linemen, allowing them to take their lumps in order to build for the future.

Short-handed defensive line
Taylor also said that both graduate student defensive lineman Clay Patterson and fifth-year Tobin Phillips would be game-time decisions for Friday’s game against Syracuse. Phillips was injured in the first quarter of Stanford’s game against Cal Poly, while Patterson did not play at all. Without both veteran defensive linemen, Stanford’s depth at defensive line could be tested against Syracuse.
Defensive coordinator Bobby April III enjoys switching between a 2-4-5 and a 3-3-5. In the 2-4-5 scheme, expect junior defensive tackle Zach Rowell and senior defensive tackle Anthony Franklin to play the majority of the snaps. However, when April switches to a 3-3-5, sophomore defensive tackle Braden Marceau-Olayinka will sub in for an outside linebacker.

Home field advantage
While many members on the Stanford football team have experience playing in hostile environments, Syracuse will pose a unique challenge for the Cardinal. The Orange play a dome field, which means that the cheers from Syracuse fans will be amplified compared to a regular stadium.
“They say it’s really loud,” Taylor said. “That’s a huge advantage for Syracuse. We’ve been preparing in the bye week and this week, particularly on the offensive side of the ball, being able to communicate and get off on the snap count."

East Coast road trips
This will be the first of many East Coast ACC road trips that Stanford football will need to take in the coming years. Taylor mentioned that the Cardinal are leaving a day earlier for Syracuse than they normally would for closer road games.
Additionally, despite being scheduled to play a game in Clemson during the following week, the coach said that the team will not stay on the East Coast between games, citing players’ comfort and the need to attend classes.
“Our facilities are here [in Palo Alto]. Our ability to lift, train and eat, and to keep it as normal as possible [is optimized],” Taylor said.

Stanford's Lamson excited to return to Syracuse as opposing player (SI; Grausz)
This week, the Stanford Cardinal will head to upstate New York where they will kick off their new era in the ACC, heading to Syracuse to face the Orange in what will be the first ever ACC game for the Cardinal. But for quarterback Justin Lamson, playing Syracuse will carry a little heavier weight.

Beginning his college career on the East Coast, playing for the Orange in 2021 and 2022 before transferring to Stanford prior to the start of last season, Lamson will return to the JMA Wireless Dome, the stadium in which Syracuse plays in, for the first time since leaving, excited for the chance to play them before he graduates.

“[I’m] super excited to go back to The Dome,” Lamson said. “It’s an electric atmosphere so I’m excited to go back there. When I signed with Stanford, I never thought we’d be playing Syracuse week three my second year here. I’m excited to go there and play them.”

Growing up in California, attending Oak Ridge High School in El Dorado Hills, it made it easier to choose Stanford over the other schools that showed interest in him during his transfer process, not only being able to stay closer to home but also being able to get both a top notch education while playing for a strong football program. Getting to return to the place where his college career started, Lamson will embrace the chance to face players that he got to know well during his time in New York.

“Coming to Stanford, it was kind of an easy choice,” Lamson said. “Going through my recruitment, I had a couple other schools that I was interested in, but just being close to home and just the education that Stanford provides, it was kind of a no-brainer for me. And to be able to get coached by the coaching staff here, that was a no-brainer. And going back to The Dome, I’m super excited about it. I know seven of the 11 starters on defense so kind of being able to know who I’m going against is something that I’m super excited about and just kind of like a homecoming game for me. So I’m looking forward to it.”

Lamson’s experience of having played for Syracuse has been helpful for his Cardinal teammates who are stepping into a new environment. While they will be playing a very different Syracuse team than the ones Lamson was on, as the Orange have a new head coach in Fran Brown, Lamson’s knowledge of the environment has helped the team prepare for what is to come.

“It’s just a hostile environment,” Lamson said. “They love football in Syracuse, so I’ve relayed that to the offense to be ready for some noise, especially on third down. And I mean, I don’t think noise is something that really affects us on offense, because we’ve played in tough places, but just being very good with our communication is going to be the biggest thing and also trying to be the give as much insight as I can on the defensive players that I know, to try to give us an edge in any way possible.”

When he first committed to play at Syracuse coming out of high school, Lamson opted to move somewhere he had never lived before, which was an adjustment, but thanks to all the support that he was able to get and surround himself with while he was there, he was able to fit in seamlessly and even since leaving, still has nothing but love for the place he once called home.

Stanford QB Justin Lamson set to face former Syracuse team in ACC opener (247sports.com; Reyna)
Before Stanford plays its first-ever Atlantic Coast Conference football game Friday, one member of the Cardinal knows all about how loud their upcoming venue will be.

That's because quarterback Justin Lamson once took in the noise inside the Carrier Dome as a former Syracuse Orange player.

Lamson, who's come in for rotational duty at QB with Ashton Daniels, verbally illustrated the atmosphere the Cardinal will walk into on Monday when addressing the media.

"It's just a hostile environment," Lamson said. "They love football in Syracuse, so I've relayed that to the offense to be ready for some noise, especially on third down. And I mean, I don't think noise is something that really affects us on offense, because we've played in tough places, but just being very good with our communication is going to be the biggest thing. And also trying to be the give as much insight as I can on the defensive players that I know, to try to give us an edge in any way possible."

However, he's familiar with one member of the Orange he's bound to run into.

"Derek McDonald, their starting SAM [linebacker], he was my roommate," Lamson said. 'I'm really close with him. We haven't talked as much just because football - we're about to play each other - so we haven't talked that much this offseason, but just him being around was great for me. He's one of my best friends."

Cheap Syracuse football tickets: Get seats to SU vs. Stanford on Friday night (PS; Axelson)
The Syracuse Orange football team welcomes the Stanford Cardinal to the ACC on Friday, September 20, 2024 (9/20/2024) at the JMA Wireless Dome.

It marks the first time ever that Orange fans will be able to see the two programs clash at the Dome, following Stanford’s addition to the Atlantic Coast Conference over the summer.

General admission tickets are available online starting at $36 from Ticketmaster, but fans can get cheaper Syracuse football tickets from resellers like SeatGeek, StubHub and VividSeats. All three resellers note that tickets are in high demand for this game, so don’t wait around to secure your seats.

Syracuse enters the contest 2-0 to start the season following a massive upset win over No. 23 Georgia Tech. The Cardinal is 1-1 after crushing Cal Poly 41-7 in their second game. Here’s a look at the best ticket prices available (before fees):

Syracuse vs. Stanford, Friday, September 20, 7:30 p.m. ET

VividSeats:

• Upper Syracuse corner section 331 starting $23
  • Mid level section 209 (endzone) starting $30
  • Lower level section 109 (endzone) starting $47
SeatGeek:
  • Upper Syracuse corner section 331 starting $24
  • Lower level section 109 (endzone) starting $52
StubHub:
  • Upper Stanford corner section 322 staring $25
  • Lower level section 110 (endzone) starting $65
Syracuse is rested after a week off following their impressive win over Georgia Tech, and despite the team’s success, they are still shy of being ranked in national polls.

https://www.mytwintiers.com/video/9...tball-assistant-coach-robert-wright/10050459/ (mytwintiers.com; video)

9/16 - Get to know: Syracuse football assistant coach Robert Wright. Wright is the co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at SU.
https://orangefizz.net/2024/09/syra...ensive-weapon-back-this-week/#google_vignette (oangefizz.net; Shalam)
Heading into Syracuse football’s week three matchup against Stanford, the Orange offense is surging. Quarterback Kyle McCord has thrown for career-highs in touchdowns and passing yards in back to back games. Wideout Trebor Pena has five touchdowns, and tight end Oronde Gadsden has four. While all of those stats are great, the SU offense could be getting another weapon back this week in the form of wide receiver Justin Ross-Simons.
Ross-Simmons has yet to play a game for Syracuse after transferring from Colorado State this past season. Head coach Fran Brown is more than optimistic about the juniors progress.
"He’s practicing this week.. does that mean he’ll jump right back into all of it I don’t know, but hopefully we’ll get him back 100%."
Last year with the Rams, Ross-Simons recorded 45 receptions with 724 yards and three touchdowns. The Rochester native finished the season tied for third on the team and ninth in the mountain west for yards per game with just over 60. Along with those stats, the wideout could also help make Syraucse’s run game more complex going forward.

Having Ross-Simons back in the lineup would make an already scary Syracuse offense even scarier. If the junior does play on Friday, McCord will have five high level healthy options to throw to out of the backfield. Those five being Ross-Simons, Gadsden, Pena, Zeed Haynes, and Jackson Meeks.

Voice of the Cardinal Gives Syracuse Fans a Look Into Stanford Football (youtube; radio; The 315)
Troy Clardy, Voice of the Cardinal, joins Brian Higgins to discuss what the transition to the ACC has been like so far for Stanford, and talk about the state of the team as they prepare to face Syracuse
How Syracuse Football can Build off First Two Weeks against Stanford | Syracuse Orange Podcast (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)
Syracuse Orange Football gets set for an ACC battle against the Stanford Cardinal. Fran Brown's squad has looked good through two weeks, but how will the Orange look off a bye week? Justus Ross-Simmons may return from injury and provide an additional weapon for Kyle McCord. Syracuse will have to contain Stanford's mobile quarterback Ashton Daniels and dynamic wide receiver Elic Ayomanor.

Jackson Holzer and Neil Adler discuss how Syracuse will look against Stanford on this edition of the Locked On Syracuse Podcast.

How will Syracuse Football Look off a Bye Week? | Syracuse Orange Podcast (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse; premieres at 10 AM EST)
Syracuse Orange Football gets set for an ACC battle against the Stanford Cardinal. Fran Brown's squad has looked good through two weeks, but how will the Orange look off a bye week? Justus Ross-Simmons may return from injury and provide an additional weapon for Kyle McCord. Syracuse will have to contain Stanford's mobile quarterback Ashton Daniels and dynamic wide receiver Elic Ayomanor.

Jackson Holzer and Neil Adler discuss how Syracuse will look against Stanford on this edition of the Locked On Syracuse Podcast.

Is Syracuse-Stanford a Trap Game? | Syracuse Orange Podcast (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse; premieres at 11 AM EST)

Syracuse football: Orange could get another playmaker back this week (TNIAAM; Wall)
The early bye week might have helped the Syracuse Orange get another player the time needed to return to action.

Wide receiver Justus Ross-Simmons is back practicing and could be ready to make his Syracuse debut against Stanford.

While the Orange passing game has looked crisp through the first two games, adding another tall receiver (he’s 6’3”) on the outside for opponents to worry about. Last year at Colorado State, Ross-Simmons had 45 receptions for 708 yards, but his impact could be felt in the running game.

Last year, Ross-Simmons graded a 71.6 in run blocking per PFF and that mark would be second on this year’s Orange. It will be interesting to see if the addition of another big receiver on the outside can add an extra boost to the ground attack.

There is one official change to the depth chart for the Stanford game.

Heard didn’t record a snap against Georgia Tech so it’s interesting to see him jump into the starting role, but the Orange could be looking to use Fadil Diggs back on the defensive line against an inexperienced Stanford group. That match-up might be the biggest advantage for Syracuse on Friday night.

Syracuse football: Pop-Tarts Bowl O’Meter update (TNIAAM; Tomiaiuolo)
It was a restful and relaxing week for Syracuse Orange football as they easily took down Bye Week U last Saturday. We hope you enjoyed our coverage leading up to the big game.

Believe it or not, Bowl Season is just three months away, including the most prestigious game of them all, the Pop-Tarts Bowl. Speaking of which, let’s take a look at the updated Pop-Tarts Bowl O’Meter after SU’s decisive win over BWU:

‘Looks like the meter isn’t buying Myle KcCord’s career day, keeping the Orange at two wins.

But some things did change over the weekend. Here’s where our favorite “experts” project Syracuse in this year’s postseason after Week 3:

ESPN - Mark Schlabach and Kyle Bonagura

Wasabi Fenway Bowl vs South Florida Bulls

A rematch with USF isn’t the best landing spot I’ve seen, but it’s also not the worst. The Bulls ground a Dino Babers-less Orange team into a pulp down in Boca Raton last December, and Fran Brown would have a chance to reverse course in a “home” game for SU at Fenway.

Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl vs Illinois Fighting Illini

I’ll spare you from the “who’s the better Orange?” and “battle for Tommy DeVito” jokes. Currently ranked No. 24, the Illini entered the AP Poll with an upset win over Kansas and would be a stiff test for the Orange. The Bronx is great and all, but last time I checked, no life-sized Pop-Tart is walking the sidelines.

Brett McMurphy - The Action Network

Birmingham Bowl vs Michigan State Spartans

A wide variety of schools are eligible for this game (Pool vs. ACC/SEC), so an Otto vs. Sparty matchup is highly unlikely. Maybe McMurphy just wants to settle a 34-year feud between the two programs, who tied in their last matchup back in 1990.

College Football News

Wasabi Fenway Bowl vs Tulane Green Wave

ACC News

College Football Week 4 Thursday/Friday Predictions | Stanford-Syracuse & Illinois-Nebraska & More (youtube; podcast; Everything College Football)

Dalton and Nick breakdown the CFB Week 4 Thursday/Friday games

Sources: ACC, Clemson, FSU renew revenue talks (ESPN; Hale & Adelson)

Talks between Clemson, Florida State and the ACC have ramped up in recent weeks, according to sources, on a proposal that would allot a greater share of revenue to schools based on brand valuation and television ratings, as well as potentially alter the expiration of the league's grant of rights -- which currently runs through 2036 -- in exchange for the Tigers and Seminoles dropping their lawsuits against the conference.

According to multiple sources within the league, the conversations are preliminary and the sides are not close to an agreement, but the conversations represent a strong signal that Florida State and Clemson are open to remaining in the conference under more favorable financial terms.

The proposal, which was formulated by Clemson and Florida State and discussed by the league's presidents during Tuesday's regularly scheduled meeting, includes additional money going to schools with better ratings success in football and basketball.

While the proposal has not been widely distributed or discussed among conference athletic directors, administrators from more than a half-dozen schools who spoke with ESPN said they would at least be open to some altered revenue split.

In 2022-23, the ACC distributed an average of $44.8 million per school, roughly $7 million less than the SEC; however, that difference is expected to grow to more than $30 million when accounting for the SEC's new television contract, which began this year.

Florida State athletic director Michael Alford has called the forthcoming revenue gap an existential threat, and he pushed for the ACC to divide revenue unequally during the league's 2023 spring meetings, asking for more money to go to schools that had success on the field as well as those that drew the highest ratings for television. The league ultimately agreed to institute a new revenue-sharing policy dubbed "success initiatives" that would reward programs that made bowl games, the College Football Playoff or the NCAA men's and women's basketball tournament with a higher share of postseason revenue, but at the time, ADs were not interested in any plan that included brand valuation or television ratings, too.

Report: ACC presidents review plan to shorten grant of rights deal, end litigation with Clemson, Florida State (on3.com; McVeigh)

According to Yahoo’s Ross Dellenger, ACC presidents have “examined” a proposal to make revenue distribution different in the conference, potentially resolving the dispute with Clemson and Florida State. The two schools are currently suing the ACC in an attempt to leave the conference.

No specifics of the deal have been finalized but Dellenger reports “stability” might come to the ACC if it can be agreed upon. If successful, litigation between Florida State + Clemson against the ACC is expected to come to an end.

“The ACC is exploring a new revenue structure intended to bring an end to the litigation with its two restless members,” Dellenger said in his report. “The conference’s presidents recently examined a proposal that would distribute revenue differently to league members in a move to provide stability and preserve the membership of Florida State and Clemson.

“Nothing is imminent and particulars of the deal remain mostly private, but the structure’s ultimate goal is to resolve a dispute with the Tigers and Seminoles, both suing the conference in an attempt to exit the league.”

The plan reviewed by ACC leaders would create different pots of revenue distribution based on “media value metrics.” This would not be limited to football, with basketball also potentially being involved. Florida State and Clemson would certainly benefit on the gridiron while the Tobacco Road schools more so on the hardwood.

College football 2024 week 4 schedule: NC State-Clemson (ESPN)

The 2024 college football season is entering week 4. Notable matchups include Tennessee at Oklahoma (spotlighted on 'College GameDay') and NC State at Clemson.

Here's more intel on this weekend's college football slate.

What is the schedule and how can fans watch?

(all times Eastern)

Thursday, September 19

South Alabama at App State -- 7:30 p.m., ESPN

Friday, September 20

Stanford at Syracuse -- 7:30 p.m., ESPN

No. 24 Illinois at No. 22 Nebraska -- 8 p.m., FOX

San Jose State at Washington State -- 10 p.m., The CW Network

Marshall at No. 3 Ohio State -- 12 p.m., FOX

NC State at No. 21 Clemson -- 12 p.m., ABC/ESPN+

Florida at Mississippi State -- 12 p.m., ESPN

Charlotte at Indiana -- 12 p.m., BTN

Villanova at Maryland -- 12 p.m., BTN

James Madison at North Carolina -- 12 p.m., ACC Network

Houston at Cincinatti -- 12 p.m., FS1

Kansas at West Virginia -- 12 p.m., ESPN2

Tulane at Louisiana -- 12 p.m., ESPNU

Rice at Army -- 12 p.m., CBSSN

Ohio at Kentucky -- 12:45 p.m., SEC Network

Ball State at Central Michigan -- 1 p.m., ESPN+

ACC quarterbacks ranked by QBR after Week 3 (usatoday.com; Haley)

According to the ESPN QBR database through three weeks, the college football pocket runs through the ACC.

The conference boasts six of the 12 highest-ranked quarterbacks in ESPN’s metric after Week 3, including Miami’s Cam Ward pacing the country with a grade of 94.4. The former Washington State quarterback has thrown 11 touchdowns in his first 12 quarters with the Hurricanes, and Miami has blown out all three of its opponents to sit atop our ACC power rankings.

Some other ACC quarterbacks, like Georgia Tech’s Haynes King, built off form from previous seasons to establish themselves among the nation’s best. Others have vaulted into (or in the case of former Ohio State Buckeye Kyle McCord, returned to) the national forefront seemingly out of nowhere.

So which quarterbacks in the conference have performed the best through three games? And where does Duke quarterback Maalik Murphy, who has thrown eight touchdowns already this season, rank among them?

Here are the ACC quarterback standings according to ESPN QBR through Week 3.

1 Cam Ward, Miami Hurricanes – 94.4

2024 Stats: 65/89 (73.0%), 1,035 yards, 11.6 YPA, 11 TD, INT, 46 rushing yards, 1 rush TD
Ward finished with a QBR of 92.0 or higher in all three games so far this season, and he offered up 346 yards and a season-high five touchdowns against Ball State on Saturday. The Miami offense has scored progressively more points in every game, and Ward hasn’t thrown an interception since Week 1.

2 Thomas Castellanos, Boston College Eagles – 87.4

2024 Stats: 35/54 (64.8%), 589 yards, 10.9 YPA, 9 TD, 2 INT, 97 rushing yards, 1 rush TD
Castellanos nearly pulled off another epic upset in Week 3, building a 14-3 lead over a top-10 Missouri team on the road, but the Tigers outscored Boston College 24-7 over the rest of the game to preserve their College Football Playoff hopes. The junior still finished with a season-high 249 passing yards and three touchdowns.

3 Cade Klubnik, Clemson Tigers – 86.3

2024 Stats (2 games): 42/55 (76.4%), 520 yards, 9.5 YPA, 5 TD, INT, -12 rushing yards, 2 rush TD
Klubnik put together one of the best games of the year against Week 2 in Appalachian State, completing 24 of 26 passes for 378 yards with seven total touchdowns. He’ll need a few more weeks like that to erase the national memories of that Week 1 loss to the Georgia Bulldogs, however.

4 Kyle McCord, Syracuse Orange – 85.0

2024 Stats (2 games): 59/85 (69.4%), 735 yards, 8.6 YPA, 8 TD, INT, 9 rushing yards
Another passer who didn’t play in Week 3, McCord has thrown for at least 350 yards with four touchdowns in both of his games with Syracuse. He’ll look to keep that trend rolling against Stanford on Friday night, the first conference game featuring the Cardinal.

5 Haynes King, Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets - 84.3

A New Hope: ACC, Clemson, and FSU (RX; HM)

A New Hope: ACC, Clemson, and FSU

Yahoo! Sports writer Ross Dellenger published some additional details of the ACC/Clemson/FSU negotiations in "ACC exploring new revenue structure to resolve Florida State, Clemson lawsuits". Here are some highlights [with my bold, italics, and comments added]:

ACC presidents recently examined a proposal that would distribute revenue differently to league members [to] preserve the membership of Florida State and Clemson. Nothing is imminent and particulars of the deal remain mostly private... Those with knowledge of the discussions spoke... under condition of anonymity.
...leaders have reviewed a plan to create a separate pot of revenue to be divided based on media value metrics. This separate distribution would be specifically tied to a school’s television viewership ratings for football and potentially basketball. Any new distribution would be available to all schools.
Ironically, this is exactly what Florida State was asking for before they filed their lawsuit. That makes me wonder if those enormous legal fees could have been avoided?

...unequal revenue structure is not a wholly new idea. Last year, FSU officials and board members suggested that the conference distribution formula for its television money... be tied to viewership and other media value data...

But there's more than that on the table:
...leaders are [also] examining amending the length of the league’s grant of rights... [which] would presumably be shortened.
Will any of this really get approved?

FSU and Clemson STAYING PUT in the ACC? | FSU Football | ACC Lawsuit | FSU Lawsuit | Clemson Lawsuit (youtube; podcast; WarChant)

FSU and Clemson STAYING PUT in the ACC? | FSU Football | ACC Lawsuit | FSU Lawsuit | Clemson Lawsuit

ACC Football Power Rankings: Miami & Clemson lead the way into Week 4 (shakinthesouthland.com; Goldin & Kantor)

1. Miami (Prev 1): A 62-0 win over Ball State further confirms our belief that Miami’s offense has taken a leap with Cam Ward at QB. Ward threw for 346 and 5 TDs (the same number that Klubnik had through the air against App State). We have a long season to go, but could the Canes finally get that elusive ACC football title? They stay in the non-conference this season playing at USF.

2. Clemson (Prev 2): App State struggles with East Carolina which somewhat tempers my expectations about last week’s dominance. Aaron Murray’s breakdown also shows that Klubnik’s performance against Georgia wasn’t as bad as it seemed and his performance against App State wasn’t as good as it seemed. Still, Clemson is likely better than the rest of the conference sans Miami.

While the North Carolina State game won’t be quite the matchup we all envisioned preseason (more on the Pack’s woes later), seeing how Cade & Co. do against a conference opponent will help give us more of an idea about this team.

3. Louisville (Prev 3): Louisville is coming off a bye. They host Georgia Tech this weekend in a 3:30 matchup that could be one of the sneakily more fun games of the afternoon slate.

4. Syracuse (Prev 4): Syracuse was also off over the past weekend. This weekend they kick off the our ACC weekend fun with a Friday night showdown with Stanford. Nothing says “ACC Football” like Stanford-Syracuse on a Friday night.

5. Boston College (Prev 5): BC fell short Saturday at Missouri in Columbia, which really should’ve been the Gameday game instead of LSU-South Carolina in the hotter Columbia. The Eagles host Michigan State at home Saturday night.

6. California (Prev 6): Cal looked a little sluggish early on but defeated San Diego State 31-10 in the nightcap game. Bears will now see if they can hand FSU loss number four.

7. Pittsburgh (Prev 8): The Panthers rallied late to knock off West Virginia in the Backyard Brawl. 3-0 Pitt now hosts Youngstown State.

8. Georgia Tech (Prev: 10): The Jackets stomped VMI easily 59-10. The main notable highlight here was that VMI’s coach agreed to shortened quarters for the second half, like Buddy Pough did in the 2016 Clemson-SC State game. More overmatched coaches should do this when getting blown out like this, in my opinion. Get in, get your check, and let the fans get back to tailgating. Jackets face Louisville on Saturday.

ACC Football Power Rankings: 2024 Week 4 (SI; McGavic)

We're not even a month into the 2024 college football season, and chaos is already reigning supreme in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Last week's top three teams in the conference are unchanged, but after that, good luck navigating these waters. There are a few teams jockeying for position in the second tier, and most of them are surprises. The league's preseason favorite is in absolute free fall. With half the ACC, it's hard to get a feel for their ceiling and how good they truly are.

So... where do things currently stand in the conference following three weeks of football? Check out our week four ACC power rankings below:

1. Miami Hurricanes

• Record: 3-0, 0-0 ACC
  • Last Week's Ranking: No. 1
  • Week 3 Result: W, 62-0 vs. Ball State
I still would like to see what Miami looks like against a team who has a pulse, but it's undeniable that the Canes look like a conference - and potentially national - title contender. QB Cam Ward has Heisman Trophy potential written all over him, and that defense has allowed just 26 points in three games. Again, the competition hasn't been great, but I digress.

2. Louisville Cardinals

• Record: 2-0, 0-0 ACC
  • Last Week's Ranking: No. 2
  • Week 3 Result: Bye Week
Louisville is in the same boat at Miami is. They've looked suffocating beyond belief, but also have played a pair of nobodies: an FCS team and a low end G5 team. Their battle with Georgia Tech this weekend should answer some early questions, but regardless, the Cardinals seem to be one of the three top teams in the league.

3. Clemson Tigers

• Record: 1-1, 0-0 ACC
  • Last Week's Ranking: No. 3
Another team where it's hard to determine what they're actually capable of. On one hand, they got their teeth kicked in against Georgia (although Georgia tends to do that). On the other, they did the teeth-kicking against one of the better G5 programs in App State. Will the real Clemson please stand up?

4. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

• Record: 3-1, 1-1 ACC
  • Last Week's Ranking: No. 5
  • Week 3 Result: W, 59-7 vs. VMI
The classic get-right game for Georgia Tech. On the heels of their first loss of the season, the Yellow Jackets didn't let that beat them twice and went full blown Cobra Kai on VMI. two questions though: will they continue to try and use Haynes King as a pocket passer, and can they generate some pass rush?

5. Boston College Eagles

• Record: 2-1, 1-0 ACC
  • Last Week's Ranking: No. 4
  • Week 3 Result: L, 27-21 at Missouri
Sure, Boston College lost this game, but they put up a very good fight against a very good team on the road. While Thomas Castellanos wasn't perfect, he made some incredible plays in the process. If the Eagles can continue to progress him as a passer, and make strides on the defensive end, Bill O'Brien could have them be an ACC dark horse.

6. Cal Golden Bears

• Record: 3-0, 0-0 ACC
  • Last Week's Ranking: No. 8
  • Week 3 Result: W, 31-10 vs. San Diego State
Here I thought that SMU would be the ACC newcomers most well equipped to have immediate success in the league. QB Fernado Mendoza has looked good, LB Teddye Buchanan and that defense has looked great, and this is all coming with their best player in RB Jadyn Ott still on the sideline banged up. With FSU looking terrible, the Golden Bears are staring 4-0 right in the face.

7. Syracuse Orange

• Record: 2-0, 1-0 ACC
  • Last Week's Ranking: No. 10
It will be interesting to see how Syracuse fairs in the AP Poll over the next couple weeks. Their defense hasn't been super impressive at times, but that offense? Incredible. QB Kyle McCord has found his confidence, and he has plenty of weapons around him. With Stanford and Holy Cross coming up, is 4-0 also on the horizon?

Know the Foe: Louisville Cardinals face Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets in the ACC football Opener (cbs19.tv; video)

Know the Foe: Louisville Cardinals face Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets in the ACC football Opener

Power Ratings 2024 Week 4 (RX; HM)

Power Ratings 2024 Week 4

The human (AP) poll only put 3 ACC teams in the Top 25 this week. What about the computers?

Sonny Moore Power Ratings Top 100
RnkTeamWLSOSPR
1Georgia3074.7597.02
2Texas3056.0194.03
3Mississippi3047.8793.45
4Alabama3055.5192.29
5Tennessee3055.889.92
6Ohio St.2044.0389.06
7Oregon3052.5687.49
8Miami Fl.3055.5286.64
9Notre Dame2158.3186.05
10Missouri3050.4484.75
11Penn.St.2057.4884.32
12Clemson1174.8883.83
13USC2064.4781.77
14Oklahoma St.3052.6881.66
15Texas A&M2176.8280.35
16Kansas St.3061.4280
17Utah3051.9579.95
18Michigan2160.979.51
19LSU2168.179.25
20Oklahoma3050.0479.06
21Louisville2045.9275.42
22Florida St.0362.6575.25
23Memphis3057.2173.11
24Kansas1250.5272.47
25Nebraska3047.5272.4
RnkTeamWLSOSPR
26NC State2158.6472.22
27Liberty3043.8271.27
28Auburn2149.2170.62
29Kentucky1267.2570.38
30Iowa2152.0470.36
31Arizona2149.1470.14
32Central Florida3052.6669.18
33West Virginia1272.0368.11
34South Carolina2164.7567.71
35Georgia Tech3156.5867.49
36Arkansas2159.766.88
37Baylor2158.5866.68
38Florida1276.2166.5
39Virginia Tech2146.4266.46
40Rutgers2045.9666.19
41North Carolina3044.1366.18
42Wisconsin2155.166.12
43Maryland2149.2766.03
44Washington2149.0265.66
45Tulane1269.2264.67
46SMU2146.0664.39
47Minnesota2158.8364.3
48Iowa St.2062.164.29
49TCU2149.4863.68
50Boise State1167.2763.68
RnkTeamWLSOSPR
51Texas Tech214863.23
52Boston College2180.0761.7
53Syracuse2056.3361.39
54Pittsburgh3051.9260.85
55California3053.6360.84
56South Florida2161.0260.77

Links, News and Rumors 2024 Sep 17 (RX; HM)

Links, News and Rumors 2024 Sep 17

Today the rumors take top billing...

Here's a pretty big rumor: Clemson and FSU are going to stay in the ACC?
As our friends over at All Sports Discussion wrote, it's not as far-fetched as it once sounded.
_____

From ACC Stats:

Top 5 ACC Offenses (through 3 weeks):
1. Louisville, 55.5 ppg
2. Miami, 53.0 ppg
3. Pitt, 40.3 ppg
4. Georgia Tech, 36.5 ppg
5. Boston College, 35.0 ppg
_____
Top 5 ACC Defenses (through 3 weeks):
1. Louisville, 7.0 ppg
2. Miami, 8.7 ppg
3. Cal, 12.3 ppg
4. Boston College, 13.3 ppg
5. Duke, 14.7 ppg
_____
Least penalized team: Boston College, 26.0 yds/game
Most penalized team: SMU, 79.7 yds/game

ACC vs G5, Week 4 (RX; HM)

ACC vs G5, Week 4

G5 teams are interesting in ranking themselves because the top ranked conference champion is going to the playoffs. In addition, three ACC teams play top G5 opponents this week (two of them on the road!), so there's reason to be interested...

RankTeamRecordWeek 3Week 4
1Memphis3-0W at Florida St (20-12)vs. Navy (2-0)
2UNLV3-0W at Kansas (23-20)Bye
3Boise State1-1Byevs. Portland St
4N. Illinois2-0Byevs. Buffalo (2-1)
5Toledo3-0W at Miss. State (41-17)at WKU (2-1)
6Liberty3-0W vs. UTEP (28-10)vs. ECU (2-1)
7Tulane1-2L at Oklahoma (34-19)at Louisiana (2-0)
8Coastal
Carolina
3-0W at Temple (28-20)vs. Virginia (2-1)
9Texas State2-1L vs. Arizona St (31-28)Bye
10USF2-1W at Sou. Miss (49-24)vs. Miami (3-0)
11JMU2-0Byeat N. Carolina (3-0)
12Fresno St2-1W vs. New Mexico St (48-0)at New Mexico (0-3)
13Army2-0Byevs. Rice (1-2)
14App. State2-1W at ECU (21-19)vs. S. Alabama (1-2)
15San José St3-0W vs. Kennesaw St (31-10)at Wash. St. (3-0)

JHowell's Picks 2024 Week 4 (RX; HM)

JHowell's Picks 2024 Week 4

JHowell's computer got all 11 winners correct last week! Here are ACC-related projections for Week #4 of the 2024 college football game seasons (through the games of 9-21-24); let's see if the computer can correctly pick the "dogs" again...

Friday, September 20, 2024

#63-Syracuse (-13) vs. #106-Stanford (TP=56 Odds=.686)

Saturday, September 21, 2024

#12-Notre Dame (-19.5) vs. #100-Miami (Ohio) (TP=45 Odds=.819)
#16-Clemson (-10.5) vs. #48-NC State (TP=53 Odds=.661)
#21-Miami (FL) (-10) @ #82-South Florida (TP=61 Odds=.634)
#24-North Carolina (-8) vs. #50-James Madison (TP=52 Odds=.627)
#25-Louisville (-8) vs. #47-Georgia Tech (TP=54 Odds=.618)
#30-Duke (-13.5) @ #112-Middle Tennessee State (TP=54 Odds=.703)
#31-Coastal Carolina (-14.5) vs. #91-Virginia (TP=56 Odds=.701)
#36-SMU (-4) vs. #39-TCU (TP=58 Odds=.556)
#46-California (-1) @ #70-Florida State (TP=48 Odds=.515)
#60-Boston College (-0.5) vs. #41-Michigan State (TP=46 Odds=.509)
#68-Virginia Tech (-4) vs. #74-Rutgers (TP=52 Odds=.565)

COMMENTS:

• ACC Underdogs, more than 10: Stanford (at Syracuse), NC State (to Clemson), UVa (at Coastal)
  • ACC Underdogs, 4 to 10: GT (to Louisville)
  • Too close to call: Cal at FSU, Michigan St at BC
  • ACC Favorites, 4 to 10: Miami (at USF), UNC (over JMU), Louisville (over GT), SMU (over TCU), VT (over Rutgers)
  • ACC Favorites, more than 10: Syracuse (over Stanford), Clemson (over NC State), Notre Dame (over Miami, OH), Duke (at MTSU)

Other

EHT7WJ4RL5EDRFKFVASGNCB3XA.jpg

A wood board covers a broken window at Yeti Frozen Yogurt & Cafe at 558 Westcott St. in Syracuse on Monday, Sept. 16, 2024.Jon Moss | jmoss@syracuse.com

Series of Westcott Street break-ins point to issues with juvenile justice system, officials say (PS; $; Moss)

Eva Essi worries when the five might be back.

In recent weeks, a group of five teenagers has repeatedly smashed the windows at Mom’s Diner, the restaurant Essi has run for more than two decades on Westcott Street. They have hit neighboring businesses, too.

Essi said police have told her they’ve identified the teens. They are five boys, two of whom live a few blocks away from the diner.

Police have arrested them, only for the boys to be released to break in again and again.

“It’s been a nightmare,” she said.

Syracuse Mayor Ben Walsh acknowledged at a packed Westcott neighborhood meeting Tuesday evening that the smash-arrest-release cycle highlights an “accountability problem” in the juvenile justice system. He was joined by Police Chief Joseph Cecile and other top city officials.

While Walsh said changes in recent years to bail rules and raising the age of criminal responsibility to 18 were meant with good intent, their “implementation” is creating issues.

“The system is broken,” the mayor said. “It’s not for lack of trying.”

Police data show a mixed picture so far this year on the city’s East Side. While violent crime is down by about 28% compared to the same period last year, property crime is up by almost the same rate.

Big truck hauling windmill is stuck no more; Syracuse intersection reopens (PS; $; Stevenson)

An intersection in Syracuse has re-opened to traffic Tuesday night after a tractor-trailer carrying a windmill turbine became stuck.

The intersection of East Brighton Avenue and East Seneca Turnpike was cleared around 9:41 p.m., according to an X post from police.

On Monday afternoon, the tractor trailer became trapped between the two roads and remained stuck until Tuesday night.

Traffic was reduced to one lane until the intersection was closed at noon Tuesday while the trailer was removed, police said.

PQWVR4AF25DL5PMJYW7O2FTDZ4.jpg

A Veo scooter is parked along West Fayette Street in Syracuse on Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2024. City officials are poised to extend a contract that allows Veo to provide electronic bike and scooter sharing services. (Jeremy Boyer | JBoyer@syracuse.com)Jeremy Boyer I JBoyer@syracuse.com

Syracuse e-bike vendor eyes contract extension, with plan to improve parking compliance (PS; $; Boyer)

With more than a million rides sold in its first three years in Syracuse, the company offering electronic bike and scooter services is eager to add three more years to its contract with the city.

But before voting to extend the deal with California-based Veo, city lawmakers wanted to have a conversation with the company about how the service has been working since it launched in September 2021. At a Syracuse Common Council Public Works and Transportation Committee meeting Tuesday, Veo officials and Syracuse Chief Operating Officer Corey Driscoll Dunham said the data is demonstrating the service’s value to city residents who are looking for low-cost transportation options.

Veo now provides 1,000 bikes and scooters in Syracuse after starting with 125 in its first year. Ridership growth has driven that increase in inventory, with Veo reporting 354,275 rides in the first full year, which was 2022. That jumped to 433,351 last year. Through early August of this year, there were 261,333 rides.

The Syracuse Veo program is up to 52,000 individual riders registered to use bikes and scooters through the company’s smartphone app, which is how customers unlock the vehicles and pay to use them.

“We’ve seen consistently through the data that this really does become a way that people get around,” Driscoll Dunham said. “We’re in a city where 25% of people don’t have access to a personal vehicle. We’re doing all we can to try to make other modes of transportation available, and Veo is a very important part of that network.”

With that heavy use, though, has come some concerns. Councilors asked several questions about what Veo is doing to reduce the number of improperly parked bikes and scooters. If they aren’t in the vicinity of one of the 44 parking stations around the city, riders are directed to park the vehicles in an upright position using the kickstand. They should be placed on a public sidewalk in a manner that allows pedestrians to get by. And they should not be blocking anyone’s access to places such as ramps, driveways and benches.

Syracuse film festival features ‘Sister, Sister’ actor, movie screenings and more (PS; Herbert)

The Syracuse International Film Festival is celebrating its 21st anniversary this weekend.

The 2024 film festival runs from Friday, Sept. 20, through Sunday, Sept. 20, at the Manlius Art Cinema. The three-day event will feature panel discussions about industry topics, movie screenings, and this year’s Sophia Award winner, “Sister, Sister” actor Dorien Wilson.

Tickets are on sale at Eventbrite. Three-day general admission passes are $100, while prices vary for individual events; additional fees may apply.

2024 Syracuse International Film Festival schedule:

• Friday, Sept. 20: The festival kicks off at 5:00 pm with a panel discussion and screenings of “Made in NY Short Films” including “A Night in Bridge,” “A Tale of Two Cities: Reclaiming Niagara Falls & Salinas,” “Clone,” “Secrets Not Buried,” and “The Opener.” The evening will also feature an LGBTQI+ film titled “Upon Waking.”
  • Saturday, Sept. 21: Starting at noon, the day includes a Film 101 Panel; discussions on Domestic Violence Awareness with “The Porcelain,” Suicide Awareness with “Losing Grace Finding Hope,” and animations such as “Ana Morphose,” “Birds of Feather,” “Le Charade,” “Shakespeare for all Ages,” “Caller Number 9,” and “The Straight Poop”; a Comedy, “Sallywood” with former Sophia Award Winner, Sally Kirkland; and a screening of the action film “Blind Cop 2.”
  • Sunday, Sept. 22: The final day features a Casting Panel and a focus on environmental films like “A Day with Alaskan Bears,” “The Dolphin Dilemma,” and “The Atlantis Puzzle.” The festival will close with the screening of “The Four Points” featuring Dorien Wilson and the Filmmakers & Sophia Award Ceremony honoring Dorien Wilson for his contributions to independent cinema.

I looked into getting single game tickets for the game at Cal, the cheapest available on their website cost $255 - good seats though.