Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

090314_S_33hodge_SamMaller_SP.jpg

Marqez Hodge (33)

Marqez Hodge Finds Voice as SU's New Starting Middle Linebacker (DO; Dougherty)

Clark Lea knew he’d have to replace middle linebacker Marquis Spruill after the 2013 season. He just wasn’t exactly sure how.

“Going into camp we weren’t sure about the middle linebacker position and for a coach, that’s a weird spot to be in,” said Lea, Syracuse’s linebackers coach. “But then Marqez (Hodge) started to develop and there was a point in camp where I thought ‘Yes, this is it.’

“From there, I felt a whole lot better about the situation.”

Hodge, who made his first start at middle linebacker in the Orange’s 27-26 win over Villanova on Friday, is the first to admit that he’s a shy guy. He inherits the spot from Spruill, a notably vocal leader who was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons.But while Hodge has transitioned into a position that practically demands on-field communication, the sophomore’s shyness has proven more a blessing than a curse.

Other

09032014_N_Soundbeats_Courtesy.jpg

We Got the Beat. SU Libraries Receive $15K Grant for Sound Beat Radio Program (DO; Swann)

Syracuse University Libraries has received a $15,000 grant from The John Ben Snow Memorial Trust to expand their Sound Beat public radio program.

Launched in 2011, Sound Beat is a daily public radio module that features historic sound recordings from SU’s Belfer Audio Archive, one of the largest privately held audio collections in the country. The grant will allow the libraries’ staff to enhance the program’s engagement with audiences across the country, and it will also intensify the academic affect on campus through the Sound Beat Class Partnership Project.

Each 90-second episode is hosted by Brett Barry, an S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications alumnus, and contains a single recording with an entertaining backstory and a glimpse into American cultural history.

Offensive lines across ACC need some work (ESPN: Adelson)

The opening week of the season always presents its share of problems, but there’s one area across the board that is in major need of work.

The offensive line.

Only a handful of teams escaped Week 1 without questions at the position. Wake Forest was abysmal. Miami was not much better. Syracuse and Virginia Tech had breakdowns in goal-line situations. Louisville struggled in pass protection. Clemson had zero yards rushing in the second half.

Not even Florida State was immune. The Seminoles returned four starters and were touted as the best offensive line in the country going into the season, but they sure did not look it last week...

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 43s
Scott Shafer going on the ACC coaches' teleconference now. Will provide updates...

Shafer: "I was not pleased with the way we played." Cited his preparation, team's discipline as reasoning.

Shafer on Hunt's punch: "He was dead wrong and that's why he got penalized and ejected from the game. ... You can't react that way."

Shafer said he and Hunt have had "a couple good talks" about it. Shafer was disappointed, but not discouraged in Hunt.

Shafer on the bye: "Having an early bye week, you could say that it comes at a bad time. But you could also say it comes at a good time."

Scott Shafer: "There is no doubt in my mind" that Michael Lasker will improve. Struggled at RG in goal-line situations.

Shafer reiterates Hunt's remorse and postgame apology to the team: "it hurt him, bad."

That's it from Shafer. No surprises.

Last edited:
Phil D'Abbraccio‏@PhilDAbb now
Scott Shafer on ACC teleconference about Villanova game: "I was not pleased with the way we play."

Stephen Bailey‏@Stephen_Bailey1 23s
Shafer: "I was not pleased with the way we played." Cited his preparation, team's discipline as reasoning.

WAER Sports ‏@WAERSports 3m
Shafer's early thoughts on Central Michigan: "They're always going to play a physical brand of football."

Shafer on Terrel Hunt's ejection: "He (Terrel) was dead wrong...I was disappointed but not discouraged."

Shafer on early bye week: "We have some injuries from summer camp. For us it's looking at video tape and saying this is how it should look."

Shafer: "We're gonna work our butt off to get better at things. Can't wait to get back on the field. I think the kids are in same mindset."

Shafer says Hunt apologized to everyone on the team. He says Terrel will learn from that mistake and he won't go over that bridge again.

Scott Shafer will be live every Wednesday at 11 AM for the ACC's weekly teleconference.

Last edited:
Phil D'Abbraccio ‏@PhilDAbb 6m
Scott Shafer on ACC teleconference about Villanova game: "I was not pleased with the way we play."

Shafer on Central Michigan: "It's not an easy tour. We have to get our kids prepared... It'll be a dogfight."

Shafer on Hunt: "He was dead wrong and that's why he was ejected. The officials made the correct call."

Shafer on Hunt: "I was disappointed but not discouraged because I know who he is."

Shafer wishes SU had done a better job of "maintaining and sustaining blocks" on goal line.

Shafer says Terrel apologized to the team for being ejected. "It hurt him, bad."

Shafer: "The good thing about a wake-up call with Villanova ... is that there’s a sense of reality quicker and it hits you in the face."

Last edited:
hope coach doesnt prepare for eastern mich like the one caller seems to be asking about.. maybe thats why we struggled. did coach prepare for the vill full coort press not the 3-3 stack? got to pay attention on which game film you put in the ol projector

Nate Mink ‏@MinkNate 4m
Shafer on Villanova game: "Maybe there’s a sense of reality quicker and it hits you in the face."

Shafer falls on sword for Nova: "Looked at my preparation and ... need to get my team locked in, and a more disciplined unit."

Syracuse football: Praise for Scott Shafer and other Orange-hued opinions (Mailbag) (PS: Poliquin)

Syracuse, N.Y. — As promised, at this time in every week this is (mostly) your space and (mostly) your space only. Which means I plan to sit back, put my feet up and (mostly) let you do the heavy lifting.

Have you got something that you'd like to say … um, write? Well, here's your chance and here's your forum — every Monday. Except, you know, when it appears on Wednesday.

All you have to do is send along your correspondence (with your name and the identity of your hometown) to bpoliquin@syracuse.com. Do that, and more likely than not your words will see the digital light of day in this thin patch of cyberspace.

Today's offering? It's Syracuse University football, through and through. Have at it …

15759235-mmmain.jpg

Syracuse football coach Scott Shafer on goal-line struggles: 'There's no doubt in my mind that we'll improve' (PS: Bailey)

Syracuse, N.Y. — Arguably the most concerning issue for Syracuse stemming from its 27-26 double-overtime victory against Villanova on Friday was the team's goal-line struggles.

The Orange had five chances inside the 3-yard line during overtime and was unable to punch it in.

SU head coach Scott Shafer addressed the failures in the Atlantic Coast Conference coaches' teleconference on Wednesday morning...

15760167-mmmain.jpg

Nate Mink‏@MinkNate 10m
Have any questions after Week 1 win vs. Villanova? Tweet them at me for this week's mailbag.

tniaam recap shows that we ran way fewer screens than people thought and in fact we didnt run a screen for the last 30 min of the game.