Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

-13fad19c4f5ed9cf.jpg

Source Says Syracuse Makes Coaching Adjustment (coachingsearch.com; Roussel)

Syracuse: BREAKING: Per source, Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer has demoted offensive coordinator / associate head coach George McDonald. Moving forward, quarterbacks coach Tim Lester will call the plays. Syracuse has lost their last three games and scored just three offensive touchdowns during that stretch. The offense was only able to kick two field goals in Friday night’s 28-6 loss to Louisville. McDonald is in his second year on the staff. He served as the wide receivers coach at the University of Miami in 2011 and 2012, briefly joined Bret Bielema’s staff at Arkansas before landing the coordinator position at Syracuse. Lester served as the head coach at Elmhurst College from 2008-2012 before joining Shafer’s staff.

unnamed2.jpg

SU Offense Shows Why Orange Has Long Season Ahead (DO; Dougherty)

There have been false alarms for Syracuse this season. But none like this. None this loud.

In the Orange’s 28-6 loss to Louisville on Friday night, the Carrier Dome touchdown horn sounded off twice in three plays. The Orange didn’t score on either of them.

The first was a pass from running back Prince-Tyson Gulley to wide receiver Ben Lewis, which Lewis caught in the end zone and celebrated before right tackle Omari Palmer was flagged as an illegal man downfield. The second was an end-around wide receiver pass from Jarrod West to a wide-open Lewis, which Lewis missed before staring at the ground in disbelief.

Each horn added a punctuation mark to an unfinished sentence —two reminders that Syracuse’s offense, at present,can’t even hang in games.

15664053-mmmain.jpg

Parris Makes Full Return From Injury, Shines as Late Down Target (DO; Klinger)

Josh Parris was joining the players he was supposed to start the season with when he took the field alongside wide receivers Adrian Flemming, Ben Lewis and Jarrod West on Saturday.

Parris earned the starting tight end spot in training camp, only to suffer a knee injury that required surgery on Aug. 20. During Syracuse’s 28-6 loss to Louisville on Friday, he made his full return and consistently provided an intermediate outlet for Terrel Hunt against the Cardinals.

At the beginning of the season, SU tight ends coach Bobby Acosta said Parris mostly closely resembled the ideal tight end for Syracuse’s offense. And while he wasn’t explosive in replacing his original replacement, Kendall Moore, Parris did tie for the team lead in receptions with West.

10094959-large.jpeg

Lynch Leads Steady Effort From Linebackers, Continues Strong Start to Season (DO; Dougherty)

Realizing that Gerald Christian had a few steps on him in the flat, Cameron Lynch darted toward the left sideline.

Lynch was right on Christian’s back when the Louisville receiver caught a pass from Reggie Bonnafon. It put Lynch in perfect position to strip a ball that Christian never had great control of.

That’s exactly what he did, and Wayne Williams recovered the fumble to set Syracuse’s offense up at the Cardinals’ 43.

“I just pulled it out,” Lynch said. “I just did what we practice. We practice that a lot so I just did it.”

Last edited:
Syracuse football's George McDonald demoted; Tim Lester named new offensive coordinator (PS: Bailey)

"I've had to make a tough decision that has been less difficult to make because of the unselfishness of our teammate and coach George McDonald," Shafer said. "Let me start by saying I've never worked with a harder working and more devoted individual than George McDonald. I truly appreciate his devotion to the team.

"I've made the decision to change roles to use our staff's talents together more effectively. Coach Tim Lester will call the plays and coordinate the offense moving forward. He, George and the offensive staff will continue to work alongside one another striving to improve our offense together. Tim will take charge of the play calling and the development of our young quarterbacks. George will continue to coach our receiver unit."

Very interesting bit above about switching play callers. Let's hope this makes a positive difference in the play of our O.

Decided to put in my two cents: http://.com/the-perfect-storm-of-crap-for-syracuse-football/

Murphy's Law can suck it.

The ACC ‏@theACC 26s26 seconds ago
JUST ANNOUNCED: Game times and television networks for October 18th #ACCFootball games: http://theacc.co/FB14times1018

Thursday, Oct. 16
Virginia Tech at Pitt, ESPN, 7:30 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 18
Syracuse at Wake Forest, RSN, Noon
Virginia at Duke, ACC Network, 12:30 p.m.
Clemson at Boston College, ESPNU, 3:30 p.m.
NC State at Louisville, RSN, 3:30 pm
Georgia Tech at North Carolina, ESPNU, 7 pm
Notre Dame at Florida State, ABC, 8 pm

I think we can pencil in noon starts for the rest of the year.

Nate Mink ‏@MinkNate 21m21 minutes ago
Shafer says Syracuse will "try to develop a plan for Austin and AJ and have Mitch ready to go as well. As we speak, we’re working on that."

Shafer: "If we choose to use 2 guys, then let’s use 2 guys and give them pieces of the game plan."

Shafer: "Right now I think the reality is we don’t want to put that weight on any singular player."

http://espn.go.com/college-football...jured-no-1-florida-state-seminoles?src=mobile

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- The No. 1 Florida State Seminoles could be without leading greceiver Rashad Greene and leading rusher Karlos Williams, among others, for Saturday's game against Syracuse.
FSU coach Jimbo Fisher hopes Greene, a senior, will be available based on his early progress. Greene did not play in the second half of last weekend's 43-3 win against Wake Forest after sustaining a concussion late in the second quarter, which made him dizzy and caused him to vomit at halftime.
Greene, who is one of Florida State's biggest playmakers on offense, has 38 catches for 576 yards and three touchdowns this season.
"His response [Monday] was really good, no lingering effects, but he still has to go through a protocol," Fisher said. "... But those things, one day they're real good and the effects will come later. Every person is different and every [concussion] is different."
Fisher said Greene, who is four catches shy of becoming the school's career receptions leader, is progressing better than Mario Edwards Jr. and Mario Pender, who both missed the NC State game after suffering concussions the prior game. Defensive back Trey Marshall, who missed the Wake Forest game, is still dealing with symptoms from a concussion.
Williams, the Seminoles' leading rusher, is in a walking boot after hurting his ankle against Wake Forest and likely will miss the Syracuse game, Fisher said. Williams carried the ball on the offense's third play of the second half vs. Wake but did not touch the ball again after that.
Backup quarterback Sean Maguire injured a bone in his hand in mop-up duty against Wake Forest and could be out for "a week or two," Fisher said.
Center Austin Barron suffered a fractured arm on the second offensive series of the game Saturday and is out indefinitely.
Fisher was pleased with how redshirt freshman Ryan Hoefeld played in Barron's place for most of the game. Hoefeld had two poor snaps, but he settled in during the second half.
"Ryan Hoefeld did an outstanding job coming in," Fisher said.
Defensively, redshirt junior linebacker Terrance Smith was suspended for Saturday's win for a violation of team rules, but he will return for the Syracuse game.
Backup defensive tackle Demarcus Christmas will miss Saturday's game after suffering a high ankle sprain against Wake Forest. Defensive tackle Nile Lawrence-Stample was lost for the season in September with a torn pectoral, and the Seminoles are thin at the position.
With the exception of a season-ending injury to Tyler Hunter last season, the 2013 Seminoles team remained relatively healthy for the entirety of its national championship season. It's been a much different experience this season.
"Sometimes the gods smile on you, sometimes they don't," Fisher said. "That doesn't mean you still can't have success. Everyone has attrition.
"... When you run a bunch of big guys into each other, things break sometimes. You pray those things don't happen (but) I'm encouraged by the depth we have."
Christmas was a true freshman, and fellow true freshman Derrick Nnadi figures to see significant playing time along the defensive line. Nnadi has consistently drawn positive reviews from the coaching staff, as has true freshmen defensive ends Lorenzo Featherston and Jacob Pugh.
Freshman running back Dalvin Cook will likely split time with Pender at running back. If Greene misses the Syracuse game, freshman Travis Rudolph could start in his place.