For our soccer guys. | Syracusefan.com

For our soccer guys.

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
My kid (the goalie) should not have gotten a yellow card, right? He got to the ball first.
Start at 59:42 mark.

In a professional game, I think that the ref would have played on and called a corner kick/throw-in (at least from the angle that we get to see the play).

For high school soccer? The refs are basically amateur volunteers whose game checks barely cover the cost of gas and wear and tear on their car -- they ref the game for the good of their communities. It's not an egregious call for them to make.

Question though -- was it a chippy game? It sounds like it was from the crowd's reaction. If it was I could see the ref pulling the card to try to control the game a little bit. That was a big collision and it looked like the kid got pretty shaken up or at least had the wind knocked out of him.

In a professional game, I think that the ref would have played on and called a corner kick/throw-in (at least from the angle that we get to see the play).

For high school soccer? The refs are basically amateur volunteers whose game checks barely cover the cost of gas and wear and tear on their car -- they ref the game for the good of their communities. It's not an egregious call for them to make.

Question though -- was it a chippy game? It sounds like it was from the crowd's reaction. If it was I could see the ref pulling the card to try to control the game a little bit. That was a big collision and it looked like the kid got pretty shaken up or at least had the wind knocked out of him.
No. It was 5 -nil, us. (Baldwinsville.) One of our rivals, but not one of the better games between the squads. Pretty subdued. Liverpool (Orange) can be physical, but not chippy or dirty. (Bees' kid played there.)
I think he carded him because he didn't bounce up, plus the size difference.
I don't know tons about soccer, but I always thought first to the ball matters most.
Thanks for the input.

I coach Binghamton High Varsity this year. The problem with the officials is that most of them are not soccer junkies that watch and follow the sport regularly. I know this because I know a few of the officials. Case in Point, my son that plays striker for me took through ball and got around the keeper with open goal but was taken down by the keeper. ( broke his collar bone ). It was a text book Red Card situation. Ref did award penalty but neither Red or Yellow card. Thes kind of situations occur every game which is driving me crazy. The officials from our board get 102.00 per game. Not bad for 2 hours time. take 5 bucks off for gas.

I coach Binghamton High Varsity this year. The problem with the officials is that most of them are not soccer junkies that watch and follow the sport regularly. I know this because I know a few of the officials. Case in Point, my son that plays striker for me took through ball and got around the keeper with open goal but was taken down by the keeper. ( broke his collar bone ). It was a text book Red Card situation. Ref did award penalty but neither Red or Yellow card. Thes kind of situations occur every game which is driving me crazy. The officials from our board get 102.00 per game. Not bad for 2 hours time. take 5 bucks off for gas.
You guys have some good players down that way. My son played with a couple on ODP. Ithaca has a couple as well.

Yea Vestal and Ithaca are very good. Several notches above us unfortunately.

My kid (the goalie) should not have gotten a yellow card, right? He got to the ball first.

I would say judgment call. First to the ball but if you also go through the body, ref can legimately call a foul.

Having said that, I agree with Degrozz. Keepers, as long as they get ball, get tons of latitude in the pro game. It is really up to player to avoid keeper.

In the pro game, it would rarely be called a foul and never a yellow.

I thought in HS though the onus is also for the players to avoid the contact with the goalies and since the goalie is playing a ball 4-5 fee off the ground what exactly is the kid going to do with the ball.

Yea Vestal and Ithaca are very good. Several notches above us unfortunately.
Parker McKnight, Carter Biloux(sp?) and Jameson Pitts in Binghamton area and Ravi Travers and Roberto (forgot his last name)

Parker McKnight, Carter Biloux(sp?) and Jameson Pitts in Binghamton area and Ravi Travers and Roberto (forgot his last name)
My son played with Carter a couple seasons with the GBSC select team.

Completely agree with DeGrozz on this. Goalie to the ball first. Coach down in NC @ South Johnston HS a county south of Raleigh/Wake. Refs at this level, although well-intentioned... aren't consistent nor well trained. The physicality/impact was judged as opposed to the rule.

As a coach, I absolutely love your son's aggression and timing toward that ball. If my keeper was called on that I would tell him privately that if faced with the same situation, make the same play.

In fairness to your son, where is the left back??? Marking should have been tighter and forced him into extending his horizontal line.

No. It was 5 -nil, us. (Baldwinsville.) One of our rivals, but not one of the better games between the squads. Pretty subdued. Liverpool (Orange) can be physical, but not chippy or dirty. (Bees' kid played there.)
I think he carded him because he didn't bounce up, plus the size difference.
I don't know tons about soccer, but I always thought first to the ball matters most.
Thanks for the input.

One thing I want to point out (on YouTube you can watch the play on .25 speed) -- even though your son appears to be a bigger kid and he collided into a smaller opponent you can clearly see the collision was the result of a "hustle play." There were no elbows/forearms/etc that were thrown at his opponent in the play. The guys pretty much collided ribs to ribs and it was an unfortunate collision, nothing else.

I agree with you -- in addition to what I said earlier -- I think your son being much more solid than the player he collided with probably did have something to do with the card.

Edit: I also want to add that is a smart ball played by the opposing team to open up space. Good on that player.

One thing I want to point out (on YouTube you can watch the play on .25 speed) -- even though your son appears to be a bigger kid and he collided into a smaller opponent you can clearly see the collision was the result of a "hustle play." There were no elbows/forearms/etc that were thrown at his opponent in the play. The guys pretty much collided ribs to ribs and it was an unfortunate collision, nothing else.

I agree with you -- in addition to what I said earlier -- I think your son being much more solid than the player he collided with probably did have something to do with the card.

Edit: I also want to add that is a smart ball played by the opposing team to open up space. Good on that player.

Brilliant ball played in, off a quick glance up.

Well done there.

Wow, talk about homers. He led with his elbow in real time, and it's only slightly less incriminating in slo-mo. Straight red in my book.

Wow, talk about homers. He led with his elbow in real time, and it's only slightly less incriminating in slo-mo. Straight red in my book.

Is there a joke in here somewhere that I am missing?

That's at minimum a yellow. The caution is appropriate. The opposing player beat the keeper to the ball. The keeper came way off his line. The other player wasn't bearing down on him where he needed to protect himself. He was out of control and took the other player out. I don't think it was malicious. It looks like the keepers eyes are fixed on the ball.

In conclusion

S8uiEk.gif

That's at minimum a yellow. The caution is appropriate. The opposing player beat the keeper to the ball. The keeper came way off his line. The other player wasn't bearing down on him where he needed to protect himself. He was out of control and took the other player out. I don't think it was malicious. It looks like the keepers eyes are fixed on the ball.

In conclusion

S8uiEk.gif

That's the thing about the rules of the game -- this is another perfectly reasonable way to call this play. I wouldn't have called it this way, but there's nothing wrong with this conclusion either. Especially if you have to make a quick decision after seeing it once.

No joke. Just think it's a red card.

Not about the red. Every fan of the game has a different view of how it should be called -- some fans prefer no contact, some prefer pre-WW2 Scottish football. To each their own. I was referring to you claiming some high school kid tried to maim another player when it's obvious he didn't ("He led with his elbow"). His arm is fully extended, it's raised exactly to the ball (no where near the opposing player's face), and the end result is an armpit to shoulder collision.

That's why I thought your comment was a joke.

RJxuvMs.png

Well, he went through the man to get it, and flat out leveled him. I'd give a yellow card, too. It's not only about who gets the ball, it's about the nature of the challenge, and even in England, your son fouled him. It's not shoulder to shoulder.

If he was my kid, I would have cheered like him for him after the play, and told him it was a good card to take.

In conclusion

S8uiEk.gif

That is a GREAT gif!

I just saw this Capt. I'm biased as you know since I was a goalie dad. But imo that's not a yellow card on your son. He's inside the box where he is allowed to use his hands and he is focused on one thing, punching the ball away. He's not focused on the player at all and the contact is incidental after punching the ball away. Good job.

Just seeing this as well and completely agree with Bees. As a former attacking player myself, I never would expect a card on the play. Amateur soccer referees generally really struggle with how to handle cards and hard fouls in general due to the often wide level in skills and athleticism at that level. Also the good ones usually jump up in league quality and level quickly. Given how fast soccer is growing it also is hard to keep up with the demand for officials.

I will also add that both as a player(especially a goalie), playing on lines drawn over a football field adds even more challenge. This is absolutely not a card and just a collision that looks worse than it was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom