For the Marrone hates Syracuse crew | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

For the Marrone hates Syracuse crew

Captains post was pretty accurate, not many coaches with a solid résumé were willing to take the job when Doug did. We actually were fortunate that skip, Edsall, and Gill turned it down. Chip Kelly was quickly made HCIW and Golden was really the only other option,sure they could have hired someone else but knowing what works a d what doesn't at SU is critical. The job was very undesirable and then try to hire a staff on top of that! It wasn't easy. People are nieve in that department, it was the worst bcs team in the country with facilities and fledgling finances but many here still thought it was a great Job because we were good 15 years prior

Captains post was pretty accurate, not many coaches with a solid résumé were willing to take the job when Doug did. We actually were fortunate that skip, Edsall, and Gill turned it down. Chip Kelly was quickly made HCIW and Golden was really the only other option,sure they could have hired someone else but knowing what works a d what doesn't at SU is critical. The job was very undesirable and then try to hire a staff on top of that! It wasn't easy. People are nieve in that department, it was the worst bcs team in the country with facilities and fledgling finances but many here still thought it was a great Job because we were good 15 years prior
Didnt i read somewhere that some guy by the name of Harbaugh wanted the job in the worst way, but he had to settle for the Baltimore Ravens?

I think that overstates things a bit.

I think that overstates things a bit.

Where? Maybe we were the 2nd worst BCS team in the country!!! The facilities were arguable the worst of any BCS team and there wasn't much money there either. We can debate a few of the details but I don't think many coaches wanted to jump right in who had already built a decent reputation as a HC

Nothing gets this board going like discussion of past coaches (Grob excluded). Thoughts:

1. Marrone left because he realized he is a pro coach. Didn't like recruiting, banged heads with the powers that be, likes things more business, less family.

2. While he was here he did some good things. Cleansed the program of Grob, tightened things up - and largely got us ready for the ACC.

3. The way he left sucked. We lost some recruits (oh well) and some good assistant coaches. All of this should be forgotten in light of 1 and 2. It probably won't go away, but it should.

4. Some find it impossible for him to both love Syracuse and leave the way he left. I don't think so. It's much different working for your school than it is being just an alum. I bet he continues to support the school verbally for all time.

5. He was a mediocre recruiter and a decent college football coach.

This is a perfect example of the mythology around Marrone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Well, Edsall and Holtz both said no.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Nothing gets this board going like discussion of past coaches (Grob excluded). Thoughts:

1. Marrone left because he realized he is a pro coach. Didn't like recruiting, banged heads with the powers that be, likes things more business, less family.

2. While he was here he did some good things. Cleansed the program of Grob, tightened things up - and largely got us ready for the ACC.

3. The way he left sucked. We lost some recruits (oh well) and some good assistant coaches. All of this should be forgotten in light of 1 and 2. It probably won't go away, but it should.

4. Some find it impossible for him to both love Syracuse and leave the way he left. I don't think so. It's much different working for your school than it is being just an alum. I bet he continues to support the school verbally for all time.

5. He was a mediocre recruiter and a decent college football coach.

Totally agree with everything except #5

First, Marrone's quirks make him in to a punchline. Not me or anyone else.

Second, you have no choice but to call it a strawman because you were the President and founding member of the Marrone Man Love Fan Club, Go. If you deny it, you're lying to yourself.

Third, I actually was vindicated, because all along what I posted about during Marrone's time as coach was that maybe we should pump the breaks a bit on the guy and let his achievements catch up to the accolades so many people were lining up to give him. How many threads prematurely annointed him as Syracuse's pigskin response to Boeheim as an institutional lifer and legend, or a master disciplinarian that wouldn't suffer from off field problems everyone else does, or claimed him to be some kind of mastermind recruiter who brought in 2 stars better than everyone else's recruits, or that Marrone was bestowed with some kind of moral superiority and goodness because he was a true "Syracuse guy" that just wanted to succeed at his dream job? Those threads happened, and now we're seeing some backlash on the board because people are coming over to the idea that it just got out of hand.

My big fear now is that we do the same thing to Shafer.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

More nonsense.

I don't know what board you were following, but that isn't an accurate reflection of the broad feeling of this place. There was the occasional over the top stuff, but certaintly not pervasive.

And it's tough to be the President of anything considering I didn't hold a single one of those thoughts you listed as needing you to be the arbiter of balance about. The closest thing to any of that I ever stated was that during the coaching search he should be the guy because as an alum he would be more emotionally invested in rebuilding the program than any other candidate and he would be the best salesmen of the idea of "Syracuse Football" because there wasn't anything tangible to sell at that point.

More nonsense.

I don't know what board you were following, but that isn't an accurate reflection of the broad feeling of this place. There was the occasional over the top stuff, but certaintly not pervasive.

And it's tough to be the President of anything considering I didn't hold a single one of those thoughts you listed as needing you to be the arbiter of balance about. The closest thing to any of that I ever stated was that during the coaching search he should be the guy because as an alum he would be more emotionally invested in rebuilding the program than any other candidate and he would be the best salesmen of the idea of "Syracuse Football" because there wasn't anything tangible to sell at that point.

Sure, Go. We can pretend you haven't been Marrone's #1 supporter, apologist, and defender on this board and going back to the ex-gf board.

Sure, Go. We can pretend you haven't been Marrone's #1 supporter, apologist, and defender on this board and going back to the ex-gf board.

So....how 'bout those Yankees?

What would supporting and defending the guys performance as coach have to do with the nonsense you posted earlier in this thread, which are all claims and positions I never took. You want to make this personal and yet try to put things in my mouth I never said.

You were wrong from the beginning about the job the guy did and how he rebuilt the program, and now you want to twist resentment over how he left as validating your unrelated arguments.

Lame

What would supporting and defending the guys performance as coach have to do with the nonsense you posted earlier in this thread, which are all claims and positions I never took. You want to make this personal and yet try to put things in my mouth I never said.

You were wrong from the beginning about the job the guy did and how he rebuilt the program, and now you want to twist resentment over how he left as validating your unrelated arguments.

Lame

That's not what's happening at all.

So....how 'bout those Yankees?

Good to see Granderson back. Here's hoping Jeter gives them some more life and they can make a playoff run.

Is Pineda ever going to pitch for them?

I've really hit a point where I don't know who to believe, so I kinda don't believe anyone. I'll never have the full story on who might have taken the SU job, or why others turned it down. There are people who say they know Al Golden was very interested. And that was when Al Golden was at Temple. While I'm sure he wanted bigger things in life (most coaches do), I'm also sure that we were a better job than Temple, no matter how bad things were.

At this point, as much as I desperately want Marrone to still be the head coach of this program, I'm ready to root for him as the head coach of my favorite NFL team, and just hope that this new staff at SU has what it takes.

If Shafer or his staff seem unprepared, that honeymoon will end soon. At his point in the GRob era, most people liked him too. That can change quickly. Shafer has a tough act to follow, and being year 1 in the ACC doesn't do him any favors. But what he certainly should have going for him, is that he was here the entire time working as a deputy to the guy who turned it back into a winning program. No substitute for that kind of training.

Having listened to FHCDM up close and personal, I think he was passionate about coaching SU football. I agree with those who say he was more business-like, more CEO type. That's fine. Just different styles. I don't think people should misinterpret that as a lack of passion for SU.

As far as leaving and taking assistants with him, HCSS would have wanted to build his own staff anyway. He deserved that opportunity just as Marrone did his. In the long run, it makes no difference. The staff is reshuffled, we in or we lose based on the efforts of the new staff. I don't take it as a willfully damaging blow by Marrone.

And I hope he does great in Buffalo.

Having listened to FHCDM up close and personal, I think he was passionate about coaching SU football. I agree with those who say he was more business-like, more CEO type. That's fine. Just different styles. I don't think people should misinterpret that as a lack of passion for SU.

As far as leaving and taking assistants with him, HCSS would have wanted to build his own staff anyway. He deserved that opportunity just as Marrone did his. In the long run, it makes no difference. The staff is reshuffled, we in or we lose based on the efforts of the new staff. I don't take it as a willfully damaging blow by Marrone.

And I hope he does great in Buffalo.

Marrone sympathizer!!!! You like him!!! You are not sufficiently angry at how he left! It trumps everything!!!

I've really hit a point where I don't know who to believe, so I kinda don't believe anyone. I'll never have the full story on who might have taken the SU job, or why others turned it down. There are people who say they know Al Golden was very interested. And that was when Al Golden was at Temple. While I'm sure he wanted bigger things in life (most coaches do), I'm also sure that we were a better job than Temple, no matter how bad things were.

At this point, as much as I desperately want Marrone to still be the head coach of this program, I'm ready to root for him as the head coach of my favorite NFL team, and just hope that this new staff at SU has what it takes.

If Shafer or his staff seem unprepared, that honeymoon will end soon. At his point in the GRob era, most people liked him too. That can change quickly. Shafer has a tough act to follow, and being year 1 in the ACC doesn't do him any favors. But what he certainly should have going for him, is that he was here the entire time working as a deputy to the guy who turned it back into a winning program. No substitute for that kind of training.

The only person who was handed the program in a better position than Shafer was Pasqualoni. I think he going to do well. This might be the best roster since McNabb left. There might not be guys at the top end like Freeney, Bullock, Jones or Darius on the roster but this could be the deepest defense this program has seen in a long time. Legit competition for starting spots and legit talent going to the 3rd team at all three levels.

QB and RB are the same way, top end might not be there, but I can't remember when either unit had this many good to very good players. Smith and Gulley out performed expectations last year, and the guys behind them might be better. My worries are OL depth and WR, lots of numbers, but are there three or four legit high D-1 players in that group. Better size and speed in a very long time, but can they play?

The only person who was handed the program in a better position than Shafer was Pasqualoni. I think he going to do well. This might be the best roster since McNabb left. There might not be guys at the top end like Freeney, Bullock, Jones or Darius on the roster but this could be the deepest defense this program has seen in a long time. Legit competition for starting spots and legit talent going to the 3rd team at all three levels.

QB and RB are the same way, top end might not be there, but I can't remember when either unit had this many good to very good players. Smith and Gulley out performed expectations last year, and the guys behind them might be better. My worries are OL depth and WR, lots of numbers, but are there three or four legit high D-1 players in that group. Better size and speed in a very long time, but can they play?

Agree, seems like if you look over the roster, you would think of most names as possible contributors. If not this year, then definitely in the future. We've had too many recent years where there were X number of players (excluding true freshmen) you just crossed off as hoping they'd never be forced onto the field.

I'm a little worried about DE too. But hopefully depth at DT, experience at LB, DB can help cover that up. Losing MPB and Simmons is a blow to a unit in need of numbers. Trejo, like all JUCO's in their first fall, is a complete wild card. MPB adjusted fairly well (except for being sick the day in orientation when they said don't rob people), but a guy like Goggins needed that full year to adjust.

If Adrian Flemming catches a pass in the first game, then it's going to be a good season. If not, might be a long one. There. I said it.

If Adrian Flemming catches a pass in the first game, then it's going to be a good season. If not, might be a long one. There. I said it.

I'm going to go in a different direction.

If Morris and MacFarlane touch the ball more than 10 times the first game, it's going to be a good season.

I like the Flemming call though.

I'm going to go in a different direction.

If Morris and MacFarlane touch the ball more than 10 times the first game, it's going to be a good season.

I like the Flemming call though.

Or one of our running backs is injured already...

Hey I'm behind the curve I didn't even know that there was a Marrone hates Syracuse crew. I wouldn't have joined but am offended I didn't even get an invitation in the mail Oh Lord

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom