For those thinking we will see Grant at the 5... | Syracusefan.com

For those thinking we will see Grant at the 5...

Cuse_1999

2nd String
in spot duty. Forget about it. 1:38 left in the 1st half, BMK picks up his 3rd foul. Rak is already on the bench with 2 fouls. Who does JB go to? Rak. This is why I think the loss of Coleman is bigger than most do. We had 15 fouls to give without losing much. That was an advantage we had over most teams that we don't have anymore.

Keep in mind that WFU's big men are average and both our centers got in foul trouble.

Grant will 100% be our center if the other two foul out. This is not in question..

Absolutely. I thought we would see it as I was sure both our bigs would foul out last night.

They need to stay on the floor. They both commit lots of dumb fouls. Rak cant get 2 quick ones on Saturday. Needs to play smarter.

in spot duty. Forget about it. 1:38 left in the 1st half, BMK picks up his 3rd foul. Rak is already on the bench with 2 fouls. Who does JB go to? Rak. This is why I think the loss of Coleman is bigger than most do. We had 15 fouls to give without losing much. That was an advantage we had over most teams that we don't have anymore.

Keep in mind that WFU's big men are average and both our centers got in foul trouble.
JB isn't going to put him at the 5 until both have fouled out. Why compromise yourself until you are forced to?

JB isn't going to put him at the 5 until both have fouled out. Why compromise yourself until you are forced to?
This. Many coaches would put another guy in trying to save their big guy for crunch time. JB doesn't think that way and never really has. He doesn't go the emergency route until there is an actual emergency. Though it drives me nuts at times I have to admit it works to SU's benefit more times than not. Wake's big men didn't get us in foul trouble, it was all the driving their guards did. That's who we were fouling.

As everyone else said, we will most definitely see Grant at the 5. There wasn't a need to put him there last night. Until the team is in desperate need, we won't see him at the 5. Even if Coleman were healthy enough to play, I still think Rak would have come back in there.

Wake is prone to draw fouls. They kept running high-post drop downs that have a guy charging to the basket for a pass from the high-post. There's so much movement there that fouls are likely. Also, there were long stretches where Wake didn't even appear to be trying to get a good shot but were just trying to find someone in orange that they could run into and draw a foul.

I actually think Wake did a VERY goo job of beating our zone. They just dont have the players to finish. If a better team is able to execute like that, we are in trouble.

It might have help if a few of the times grant got jumped on had been called fouls the Wake front line would have all fouled out, for all the touch fouls they let much of the hard stuff go uncalled.

Rak needs to be shown video of 2 instances last night when he could have drawn a charge had he stood his ground. Instead he half heartedly puts himself in the right position but blows it by moving. It's an easy fix, just needs to prepare himself for the contact and NOT move.

10 fouls from the center position should be plenty.

There may be something to that, in that it should always be in their minds and help them play smarter and make better decisions.

This. Many coaches would put another guy in trying to save their big guy for crunch time. JB doesn't think that way and never really has. He doesn't go the emergency route until there is an actual emergency. Though it drives me nuts at times I have to admit it works to SU's benefit more times than not. Wake's big men didn't get us in foul trouble, it was all the driving their guards did. That's who we were fouling.
JB was doing it a little before with DC2 though. The 4+ minutes with DC2, last year when he was a distant 3rd, eliminated all foul troubles.

And moving Grant over is going to be a last resort. The center position in the zone is foul prone. And there is no way we want Grant to get in foul trouble.

Cowtown said:
There may be something to that, in that it should always be in their minds and help them play smarter and make better decisions.

That's true. I was thinking more along the lines of: how many times a season do both centers finds themselves on the bench due to fouling out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom