For those who hate this move... | Syracusefan.com

For those who hate this move...

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
Let me ask you a couple of questions:

1) Would you rather be in a 12/20 "Big East" that includes USF, TCU, Kansas, Kansas State, and Baylor?

2) When that conglomeration would fail (and it would, same as this one has) would you be okay being left out of one of the 16 team superconferences? Or potentially going to the Big 10 instead? If you prefer the Big 10, why?

3) If you don't prefer the Big 10, would it be preferable that we become akin to Colgate? D-1 with no major conference affiliation, and slowly fading into oblivion.

4) If you think that wouldn't happen, explain to me what you suspect could happen to not make this happen, short of going to the ACC?

5) Points taken off if you mention an all-sports conference that includes Penn State or Notre Dame.

* An addendum -- I realize you're not happy about those basketball rivalries. I'm not either. I just don't know how you can consider yourself a true Syracuse sports fan if you would rather see your team and it's athletic department twisting in the winds of uncertainty out there right now.

Every person who says "I hate this move" doesn't give an alternative, or something else that could be done. I guess it's okay to hate it as a fan, and losing rivalries, but I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't understand how important this move actually is.

As Robert Smith just said on ESPN "there isn't going to be room for some traditional powers if we go to 4 or 5 super conferences." Syracuse just assured itself that it will be. That's something to be happy about.

I could have lived with a 12/16 BE that didn't include Providence, Seton Hall, Depaul, and Marquette. A 20 team BB league is a nightmare.

But Marinatto was never going to jettison 4 BB only teams to add 3 FB teams.

And in a world of 12-16 team megaconferences, our little 9 team confederation wouldn't have been able to hold off the invaders for much longer.

BTW- 5 superconferences of 14 teams = 70. That's every current BCS team plus Boise and BYU. I don't know what "traditional powers" would be excluded in the 5 conference model. The 4x16 model is another story ... but we're safe.

I could have lived with a 12/16 BE that didn't include Providence, Seton Hall, Depaul, and Marquette. A 20 team BB league is a nightmare.

But Marinatto was never going to jettison 4 BB only teams to add 3 FB teams.

And in a world of 12-16 team megaconferences, our little 9 team confederation wouldn't have been able to hold off the invaders for much longer.

BTW- 5 superconferences of 14 teams = 70. That's every current BCS team plus Boise and BYU. I don't know what "traditional powers" would be excluded in the 5 conference model. The 4x16 model is another story ... but we're safe.
He was speaking specifically of the 4x16 model. Sorry for not being more clear on that. With this said, I think SU would have found a spot at the table regardless. Waiting years for all of this to shake out would have sucked badly. The fact it's done and quickly is great. Frankly, I can't think of a better realistic option than this one.

There was no doubt in my mind that SU would have made the Top 64.

We would have ended up somewhere ... probably not in the BE though.

There was no doubt in my mind that SU would have made the Top 64.

We would have ended up somewhere ... probably not in the BE though.
Regardless of this move, the BE was always a sinking ship. Any one of the teams in the current conglomeration would have left quickly if the ACC or Big Ten came calling. I would love to see who those ten teams were, that contacted the ACC. No doubt in my mind there were more than a couple of BE teams on that list.

1) Would you rather be in a 12/20 "Big East" that includes USF, TCU, Kansas, Kansas State, and Baylor?

2) When that conglomeration would fail (and it would, same as this one has) would you be okay being left out of one of the 16 team superconferences? Or potentially going to the Big 10 instead? If you prefer the Big 10, why?

3) If you don't prefer the Big 10, would it be preferable that we become akin to Colgate? D-1 with no major conference affiliation, and slowly fading into oblivion.

4) If you think that wouldn't happen, explain to me what you suspect could happen to not make this happen, short of going to the ACC?

5) Points taken off if you mention an all-sports conference that includes Penn State or Notre Dame.

* An addendum -- I realize you're not happy about those basketball rivalries. I'm not either. I just don't know how you can consider yourself a true Syracuse sports fan if you would rather see your team and it's athletic department twisting in the winds of uncertainty out there right now.

Every person who says "I hate this move" doesn't give an alternative, or something else that could be done. I guess it's okay to hate it as a fan, and losing rivalries, but I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't understand how important this move actually is.

As Robert Smith just said on ESPN "there isn't going to be room for some traditional powers if we go to 4 or 5 super conferences." Syracuse just assured itself that it will be. That's something to be happy about.
This should be a must read post for anyone that isn't enthused about joining the ACC.

I can sympathize with people that looked forward to basketball road games at Seton Hall, Buttgers, St. John's and the BE tournament. But, I'm sorry, keeping those on the table is not worth remaining on the sinking ship that is the Big East.

I think the BBall onlies would be smart to start looking at forming their own league now. It's only a matter of time now. WVU and Louisville will be gone sooner than later. UConn will soon be gone as well. It may not be tomorrow, but it will be before the end of the year.

the addendum part is what everyone whos negative about this needs to read. youre spot on

i am very sad at the demise of the big east, but agree that this was a survival move. i am extremely angry with the big east officials who have years been reactive and not pro active and i blame them for their incompetency.this action is a direct result of their ineptitude going on for several years. i was sad when psu went to the big 10 as a result lack of big east foresight, and now it has come to this. the acc is good fit for us,an enhanced and strengthened big east would have been better. i feel bad for our football bretheren, and hope they also land with us or the big 10, particularly,wvu . great stuff over my 40yrs of syracuse football.

I wonder how many new applications for membership in the ACC are being filed as we speak...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom