For those who say it will never happen here | Syracusefan.com

For those who say it will never happen here

kirbivore

2019 Cali Award (Passing Yards)
This past Saturday Washington St. had Pac-12 home game vs. Stanford that was played in Seattle, some 287 miles from their campus. I don't trust Dr. Gross as far as I can throw him when it comes to moving SU home games. I won't be the least bit surprised if there was some secret deal made when SU got the ACC invite to move future home ACC football games to Metlife. I'd be a little more surprised with basketball to MSG, but I wouldn't be shocked if it happend.

This past Saturday Washington St. had Pac-12 home game vs. Stanford that was played in Seattle, some 287 miles from their campus. I don't trust Dr. Gross as far as I can throw him when it comes to moving SU home games. I won't be the least bit surprised if there was some secret deal made when SU got the ACC invite to move future home ACC football games to Metlife. I'd be a little more surprised with basketball to MSG, but I wouldn't be shocked if it happend.

The paranoids are out to get you.

I hate the Metlife games as well, but Wazzu has been doing this for years they play a game in Seattle each year for Seattle alums because their home stadium is smaller than the CLink in Seattle and they can make more money. They played Oregon in Seattle last year, and I think UCLA the year before. Wazzu is a public school with a clear majority of their alums in Washington. I would bet the Wazzu Pullman area fans don't like it, but they do it anyway. If people want to defend the Metlife games they are either SU fans/alums who live near NYC metro area or they honestly don't care if SU acts busch league like small time programs by selling out.

I hate the Metlife games as well, but Wazzu has been doing this for years they play a game in Seattle each year for Seattle alums because their home stadium is smaller than the CLink in Seattle and they can make more money. They played Oregon in Seattle last year, and I think UCLA the year before. Wazzu is a public school with a clear majority of their alums in Washington. I would bet the Wazzu Pullman area fans don't like it, but they do it anyway. If people want to defend the Metlife games they are either SU fans/alums who live near NYC metro area or they honestly don't care if SU acts busch league like small time programs by selling out.
Your last sentence is an embarrassment spank, nobody wants the Giants Stadium games to be ACC ones, and there is nothing wrong with a great occ game in the greatest City in the world.

Big time programs play neutral site games all the time.

It's a great showcase to get some NY/NJ talent.

Of course, we could always just wear more blue...

Your last sentence is an embarrassment spank, nobody wants the Giants Stadium games to be ACC ones, and there is nothing wrong with a great occ game in the greatest City in the world.

Big time programs play neutral site games all the time.

It's a great showcase to get some NY/NJ talent.

Of course, we could always just wear more blue...
First, I have been the HAMMERING the blue and have been wanting Orange home jerseys for a while.

Second, if we get true neutral site games at Metlife I will and admit I am wrong, but none of the contractual games SU will play at Metlife will end up being true neutral site games. The Notre Dame games are Syracuse's turn to host Notre Dame on campus under the ACC-ND 5 game arrangement, but Gross has to keep the games in Metlife because of the previous contract. If SU plays true neutral site games in Metlife I will admit I am wrong, but SU plays road/Metlife deals like they did with USC I will stand by what I said. The Penn State series was great but its going to end up being the exception rather than the standard deal.

First, I have been the HAMMERING the blue and have been wanting Orange home jerseys for a while.

Second, if we get true neutral site games at Metlife I will and admit I am wrong, but none of the contractual games SU will play at Metlife will end up being true neutral site games. The Notre Dame games are Syracuse's turn to host Notre Dame on campus under the ACC-ND 5 game arrangement, but Gross has to keep the games in Metlife because of the previous contract. If SU plays true neutral site games in Metlife I will admit I am wrong, but SU plays road/Metlife deals like they did with USC I will stand by what I said. The Penn State series was great but its going to end up being the exception rather than the standard deal.

I just don't understand this sentiment at all. I'll preface this with a couple of points I'm willing to concede:

1) I don't like the dome, never have liked the dome and think it amounts to basically a football mausoleum.

2) I live in DC/MD and would much rather see the cuse in NYC/Balt./Philly.

3) If the hoops team plays more in MSG, I will go more to MSG to watch those games.

But having allowed for those two points, there are a lot of reasons I just don't understand why there is so much resistance to the idea of playing a game or two in NYC or other locales during the year.

1) Are people really still uncomfortable with the fact that basically everything this program does is to try and make money? I mean, if someone can make a case that the NYC games are a losing proposition financially, then fine, but ultimately college sports in 2013 are all about generating as much publicity and money for the university as humanly possible. Such is life.

2) The games are going to be against really good teams. What is wrong with that? Why would anyone bother playing Temple at MetLife? It makes no sense. And those teams aren't coming to the dome? Well, again, this is a new world of college athletics. Money is what matters and if teams don't see the money, they aren't coming. It truly is that simple.

3) The hoops team HAS to play in NYC. We just moved to a conference with zero presence in NYC, Balt. (essentially), DC and philly. Luckily we've never recruited those areas ... oh, wait, nevermind. We LIVE in those areas for recruiting. Anyone who complains about playing in NYC or somewhere else for hoops but was enthralled with the move to the ACC needs to be locked away in a mental institution. If I had it my way, we'd break up our home game schedule into quarters and play 1/4 of our games in NYC, DC, Balt and philly.

4) NYC is four hours away. Yes, this is a pain in the a$$ compared to a trip to the dome for a lot of the folks here. But NYC is also a city that supposedly has some other things to do. I'm stunned at the number of people who don't view once a year games in NYC as an opportunity to spend a fun weekend in a cool city that's a really easy drive away. I mean, it's not like playing a crappy bowl in Jacksonville or somewhere. I've never blamed people for not showing up to awful, often meaningless bowl games in bland cities, but a cool game against a good team in NYC in September? I'm not really sure I understand the gripe.

I just don't understand this sentiment at all. I'll preface this with a couple of points I'm willing to concede:

1) I don't like the dome, never have liked the dome and think it amounts to basically a football mausoleum.

2) I live in DC/MD and would much rather see the cuse in NYC/Balt./Philly.

3) If the hoops team plays more in MSG, I will go more to MSG to watch those games.

But having allowed for those two points, there are a lot of reasons I just don't understand why there is so much resistance to the idea of playing a game or two in NYC or other locales during the year.

1) Are people really still uncomfortable with the fact that basically everything this program does is to try and make money? I mean, if someone can make a case that the NYC games are a losing proposition financially, then fine, but ultimately college sports in 2013 are all about generating as much publicity and money for the university as humanly possible. Such is life.

2) The games are going to be against really good teams. What is wrong with that? Why would anyone bother playing Temple at MetLife? It makes no sense. And those teams aren't coming to the dome? Well, again, this is a new world of college athletics. Money is what matters and if teams don't see the money, they aren't coming. It truly is that simple.

3) The hoops team HAS to play in NYC. We just moved to a conference with zero presence in NYC, Balt. (essentially), DC and philly. Luckily we've never recruited those areas ... oh, wait, nevermind. We LIVE in those areas for recruiting. Anyone who complains about playing in NYC or somewhere else for hoops but was enthralled with the move to the ACC needs to be locked away in a mental institution. If I had it my way, we'd break up our home game schedule into quarters and play 1/4 of our games in NYC, DC, Balt and philly.

4) NYC is four hours away. Yes, this is a pain in the a$$ compared to a trip to the dome for a lot of the folks here. But NYC is also a city that supposedly has some other things to do. I'm stunned at the number of people who don't view once a year games in NYC as an opportunity to spend a fun weekend in a cool city that's a really easy drive away. I mean, it's not like playing a crappy bowl in Jacksonville or somewhere. I've never blamed people for not showing up to awful, often meaningless bowl games in bland cities, but a cool game against a good team in NYC in September? I'm not really sure I understand the gripe.

1. The Dome is our homefield and I am not goinng to complain about it even though I wish we had a retractable roof but that is not something any of us can complain about unless we are giving the University a couple hundred million dollars to help build a new stadium.

2. What does it matter? We have a hard time packing the Dome as it is and you want to take Marquee games from where you want people to invest in the local team and expect them to go to games that don't matter. I mean c'mon we moved a game against USC the number 2 team in the country that was scheduled to be played in Syracuse and moved it to Metlife Stadium. We only got 39k to the game in Metlife and that is a joke. If the game was in CNY we get easily mid 40k and have a loud house and better chance to upset a team we hung around with. So yeah let's play teams away/Metlife and turn our home games into neutral site games. I was at Metlife for the Penn State game and we had less fans their then Penn State. Their is no fanbase worth playing that we will outdraw for the Metlife games which are supposed to be Syracuse HOME games. So yeah let's give up HOMEFIELD ADVANTAGE.

3. Hoops HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS and this statement is irrelevant. I could careless if we play one or two additional games in NYC. Basketball plays two and half more times games than football and we have played in MSG and the greater metro NYC in ways more than just St. John's and Seton Hall for over the past 1o years. We have played 3 Jimmy V Classics, 2 Preseason NITs, 2 Coaches vs Cancer, Gotham Classic, tournament in Atlantic City I mean What do hoops have to do with the fact we act smalltime as a football program. We will have the ability to play in MSG enough without moving SU home basketball games your statement is laughable. Yeah, let's move our home games into 4 different areas and cater to a couple those alumni over the long time season ticketholders who donate a lot of money over the years and basically help keep the AD afloat. All we need is 1 or 2 games a year along the Eastern seaboard like we will in Philly, D.C. with Villanova/Gtown in non-conference games.

4. Again your moving games away from students, local season ticketholders, and local fans and giving up HFA so 15k-20k fans at most can go NYC. It is dumb to give up a home game and a marquee opponent. If we move marquee games nobody can complain about attendance, and I am a season ticket-holder who lives over 600 miles away from Syracuse and NYC is closer to me and I could careless. You don't act small-time and play teams away/neutral site. I get the AD makes money from moving the games, but giving up the chance to win and grow the fanbase is stupid now that we will be raking in 5 times more money a year in TV money from the ACC that we received from the Big East. Dr. Gross TOLD ME he agreed to Notre Dame deal because we were stuck in the Big East and needed as many revenue streams as possible and likely wouldn't have agreed to the series if we were getting in the ACC.

1. The Dome is our homefield and I am not goinng to complain about it even though I wish we had a retractable roof but that is not something any of us can complain about unless we are giving the University a couple hundred million dollars to help build a new stadium.

2. What does it matter? We have a hard time packing the Dome as it is and you want to take Marquee games from where you want people to invest in the local team and expect them to go to games that don't matter. I mean c'mon we moved a game against USC the number 2 team in the country that was scheduled to be played in Syracuse and moved it to Metlife Stadium. We only got 39k to the game in Metlife and that is a joke. If the game was in CNY we get easily mid 40k and have a loud house and better chance to upset a team we hung around with. So yeah let's play teams away/Metlife and turn our home games into neutral site games. I was at Metlife for the Penn State game and we had less fans their then Penn State. Their is no fanbase worth playing that we will outdraw for the Metlife games which are supposed to be Syracuse HOME games. So yeah let's give up HOMEFIELD ADVANTAGE.

3. Hoops HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS and this statement is irrelevant. I could careless if we play one or two additional games in NYC. Basketball plays two and half more times games than football and we have played in MSG and the greater metro NYC in ways more than just St. John's and Seton Hall for over the past 1o years. We have played 3 Jimmy V Classics, 2 Preseason NITs, 2 Coaches vs Cancer, Gotham Classic, tournament in Atlantic City I mean What do hoops have to do with the fact we act smalltime as a football program. We will have the ability to play in MSG enough without moving SU home basketball games your statement is laughable. Yeah, let's move our home games into 4 different areas and cater to a couple those alumni over the long time season ticketholders who donate a lot of money over the years and basically help keep the AD afloat. All we need is 1 or 2 games a year along the Eastern seaboard like we will in Philly, D.C. with Villanova/Gtown in non-conference games.

4. Again your moving games away from students, local season ticketholders, and local fans and giving up HFA so 15k-20k fans at most can go NYC. It is dumb to give up a home game and a marquee opponent. If we move marquee games nobody can complain about attendance, and I am a season ticket-holder who lives over 600 miles away from Syracuse and NYC is closer to me and I could careless. You don't act small-time and play teams away/neutral site. I get the AD makes money from moving the games, but giving up the chance to win and grow the fanbase is stupid now that we will be raking in 5 times more money a year in TV money from the ACC that we received from the Big East. Dr. Gross TOLD ME he agreed to Notre Dame deal because we were stuck in the Big East and needed as many revenue streams as possible and likely wouldn't have agreed to the series if we were getting in the ACC.

bravo.jpg

Well stated, friend, well stated!!!!!

Not sure what you are really complaining about. If the contract says they must play at Metlife then they play at Metlife. If Dr. Gross tole you personally he would not have signed the ND contract if he The Orange were ACC-bound then it seems like you and he agree. What is it you want done now?

Looking ahead, I see one single potential home game played in Metlife... v. ND. While we have ND scheduled at Metlife twice, we can only consider, at most, one of those to be "home" games. And by the way, neither of them are in South Bend. So all this uproar when we have a single "home" game scheduled at Metlife going forward?

Not sure what you are really complaining about. If the contract says they must play at Metlife then they play at Metlife. If Dr. Gross tole you personally he would not have signed the ND contract if he The Orange were ACC-bound then it seems like you and he agree. What is it you want done now?
There is a portion of our fanbase that loves the Metlife games for personal reasons and the fact is I am not complaining I am voicing my opinion on why I dislike neutral/road football series.. Some may agree and others disagree I don't care which way anybody is as long as they voice their opinion and we have a discussion. Again, Gross said he had no leverage when he agreed to the series now he has a lot more leverage and won't do it again. What I would love is for this whole Metlife crap to go away and repudiate the contract and negotiate a settlement with the Metlife people or only play true neutral site game like we did this year with Penn State and not play road/Metlife series. These Notre Dame games in 2014 and 2016 should be in the Dome under the ACC-ND deal, but because ND is squeezing us and Gross is honoring the Metlife series we won't get Notre Dame in the Dome till 2020 at the earliest.

Looking ahead, I see one single potential home game played in Metlife... v. ND. While we have ND scheduled at Metlife twice, we can only consider, at most, one of those to be "home" games. And by the way, neither of them are in South Bend. So all this uproar when we have a single "home" game scheduled at Metlife going forward?
We have two games right now scheduled for Metlife 2014 and 2016 versus Notre Dame. Under the ND-ACC agreement these are part of the 5 games ND must play against ACC teams and are considered SU home games, but because of this stupid series being signed originally we are playing the games in Metlife and for supposed SU home games will be outnumbered likely atleast 2 to 1 and probably 3 to 1 in the stands. Syracuse has a 30 year contract with Metlife to play something like 15 games there. Unless Gross breaks the contract their will be more games scheduled there and the Dome will lose more games what is hard to figure about this I am bringing this up now. Just because the games haven't been scheduled yet doesn't mean they won't happen. I am speaking about it now so when it happens people can't say nobody said nothing complaining about it.

There is a portion of our fanbase that loves the Metlife games for personal reasons and the fact is I am not complaining I am voicing my opinion on why I dislike neutral/road football series.. Some may agree and others disagree I don't care which way anybody is as long as they voice their opinion and we have a discussion. Again, Gross said he had no leverage when he agreed to the series now he has a lot more leverage and won't do it again. What I would love is for this whole Metlife crap to go away and repudiate the contract and negotiate a settlement with the Metlife people or only play true neutral site game like we did this year with Penn State and not play road/Metlife series. These Notre Dame games in 2014 and 2016 should be in the Dome under the ACC-ND deal, but because ND is squeezing us and Gross is honoring the Metlife series we won't get Notre Dame in the Dome till 2020 at the earliest.

The five football games between Notre Dame and ACC schools will rotate year-by-year – three at ACC sites and two at Notre Dame one season, and then three at Notre Dame and two at ACC sites the next.

So why should both of the ND games be in the dome?

. Unless Gross breaks the contract their will be more games scheduled there
Doesn't really make sense. Whether or not Gross breaks the ND contract has nothing to do with more games scheduled. He could break the contract and schedule more or could not break the contract and schedule no more at Metlife.

So why should both of the ND games be in the dome?
Both of the games shouldn't be at the Dome BUT BOTH of them are considered SU home games and we will still have to travel to South Bend in 2017-2019 and play them their. Their are 14 teams in the ACC ND is playing 15 games in 3 year Syracuse is the ACC team playing ND twice in the rotation and both of the SU games are considered Syracuse home games and ND is actually playing 3 ACC teams at home,
@Florida State, and Syracise-Metlife in a pseudo road game that will have more ND fans than SU games, and then in 2016 they are doing the same except I don't want to look up who they are playing on the road instead of Florida State. Syracuse is "getting" two home games lucky us and won't get the benefit of the ND-ACC relationship in the Carrier Dome till 2020 at the earliest and I bet we will move the game again because that seems like the obvious thing SU will do to give ND all the benefits and have SU take it.

Syracuse has a 30 year contract with Metlife to play something like 15 games there. Unless Gross breaks the contract their will be more games scheduled there and the Dome will lose more games what is hard to figure about this I am bringing this up now. Just because the games haven't been scheduled yet doesn't mean they won't happen. I am speaking about it now so when it happens people can't say nobody said nothing complaining about it.

Wrong. It was a 20 year contract from 2019-2038 to play 10 more games.

Don't be surprised if these games never happen. Contracts get broken all the time.

Doesn't really make sense. Whether or not Gross breaks the ND contract has nothing to do with more games scheduled. He could break the contract and schedule more or could not break the contract and schedule no more at Metlife.
I am not talking about the ND contract I am talking about the Metlife contract. Again this was pre-ACC Gross needed the money and signed a 20 yr deal with Metlife. This Metlife deal need to be repudiated IMO unless we play true neutral site games like the Penn State game.

METLIFE-SU Contract

Both of the games shouldn't be at the Dome BUT BOTH of them are considered SU home games and we will still have to travel to South Bend in 2017-2019 and play them their.

The two games in South Bend have been cancelled. We have 2 games against ND in MetLife in 2014 and 2016 and that's it.