For you goalies – Swish, outoftownie – goalie question | Syracusefan.com

For you goalies – Swish, outoftownie – goalie question

PhatOrange

Living Legend
Had an interesting scenario pop up in a youth game the other day involving a goalie and I have to admit it’d been so long since I’d seen it done I wasn’t sure of the rule.

Goalie had possession behind the goal (outside of the crease) and was getting murdered by an attackman so he threw the ball at the back of the net and then went back into the crease to get the ball. Basically to reset and clear it again with the protection of the crease. The officials ended up calling it “in and out”. I was the opposing coach so I was fine with the call but to be honest I wasn’t sure it was the right call.

So the goalie had possession outside the crease, can the goalie throw the ball at the goal and go back into the crease to get the ball and reset. Nobody ever touched the ball except the goalie.

What’s the rule ?

Pretty sure the official got the call right. There is no direct citation for in and out of the crease I don't think in the uslax youth rules but should be the same as HS/College rules.

Pretty sure the official got the call right. There is no direct citation for in and out of the crease I don't think in the uslax youth rules but should be the same as HS/College rules.

youth vs hs/ncaa rules aside i'm wondering what the official rule is. youth rules are generally the same except for things like clearing timers and hitting/checking etc but all other rules generally follow the standard.

I initially yelled 'thats in an out' and the officials conferred and decided it was. But after they made the call I wasn't actually sure I was right but nobody argued it. If I was wrong about the rule I need to know.

I don't have the exact citation as I only have a youth rule book at work which doesn't get into that. It has to be consistent with the 4 second rule. The goalie has 4 seconds to leave the crease and cannot reenter. Once he is out, he is out until the ball is on the ground or a change in possession.

If you are out of the crease with the ball, you cannot throw it in to the crease and retrieve it. Correct call was made.

If you are out of the crease with the ball, you cannot throw it in to the crease and retrieve it. Correct call was made.

that's what I was thinking. I felt like a dope wondering if I argued the wrong call.

Last edited:
Cool that's what I thought. I woulda felt like a dope if I argued the wrong call.

Unless you play DI women's lax. In which case I think I saw this move about 100 Xs in the NC game.

Crazy.

I don't remember the rules, but I remember never throwing the ball at the back of the net to get 10 seconds more of safety in HS.

Are you related to the kid from Fairport?

That's a legal play in fact I saw a goalie do it in the NCAA final 4 game, it's the first time Ive seen it happen at that level. It's something goalies use all the time in the UK you see it a lot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom