Former OC Beck not with team in Boca, Lynch to call offense | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Former OC Beck not with team in Boca, Lynch to call offense

Maybe there's another reason why Beck isn't coaching the Bowl game. Maybe he & Nuncio didn't agree on the game plan. Or maybe Coach Fran is influencing the game plan based on what he wants to see, e.g., Davis at QB, and maybe Beck didn't agree. Could be other reasons beside a new job.
Beck isn’t just going to quit over something like that, he’s a professional

Unless he was released or terminated by SU he’d still be coaching

Agreed, I'd give Davis a short leash. I certainly don't want to go down 17-0 early figuring out if he can run the offense.

I think the Wildcat gives us the best chance to win but Fran might want to evaluate his two traditional QBs.

Whatever the result on Thursday night we'll be a much different team next September.

Straight ground game. Quick short pass game.

Two healthy QBs with the team. Two slots on a depth chart to list QBs. The math is pretty simple. I would not read much into this. Davis is QB1, but I'm willing to bet he doesn't take the first snap. Will be interesting to see what we do in obvious passing situations though, especially with USF's porous pass defense. I think Villari will handle the short / intermediate throws reasonably well, but who is better suited if we want to use the deep ball?
If they run what they did to end the year I’d be pretty disappointed. If they spot it in short yardage and as a change up fine, but to base out of it, waste of time.

Let Davis take his shot

Oh and if you consider this team a meaningless scrimmage, talk to some of the players. They are motivated to lock up a winning record on the season. Might be fool's gold to some of us, but they are focused on that goal and the outgoing staff wants to give them every opportunity to achieve it. The 15 practices were partially for evaluation, and there may have been some personnel or game elements that stood out and will be seen on the field Thursday, but by and large this is the 13th game these players worked toward all season and they want to wlk away with any bit of success they can claim.

Other than to give him a shot to not have his only career pass attempt be an interception, there's zero benefit to playing McPhail.

Unless he's a better passer...

I think this game is more about Fran seeing what Nunzio does - with a very difficult situation. We have our QB1, next season.

If they run what they did to end the year I’d be pretty disappointed. If they spot it in short yardage and as a change up fine, but to base out of it, waste of time.

Let Davis take his shot
Respectfully disagree. If they are successful running the offense that gave then two wins in the last three games you play to win this game and close out a winning season. As I said in a separate post at least some of the players are very motivated to end the year with a winning record.

I am sure Davis got his reps in practice the last two weeks and the new staff saw what he is capable of. I am sure he will get additional opportunity in spring ball assuming he doesn't run the risk of a second transfer requiring him to sit next year and he portals. I am even more sure that short of injury he has zero shot at being QB1 in 2024 and nothing that happens Thursday will impact his decision on his football future.

Give the team the best chance to win this game. I obviously haven't been at practice, but if that is by having Davis play as a traditional QB because he has lit things up the last two weeks it would be a beautiful thing. If that's not the case run the offense that has been successful unless USF proves they can stop it.

Unless he's a better passer...

I think this game is more about Fran seeing what Nunzio does - with a very difficult situation. We have our QB1, next season.
Even if he's a better passer, McPhail has no future impact beyond what he currently provides as a practice arm.

Not sure why it has any less meaning that any of the other games we played after we lost our 1st game, eliminating us from having a chance at the playoffs. We play all year to make a Bowl game.
That’s a good question. You should ask the coaches who leave for other programs before their current teams play bowl games.

Last edited:
I don’t understand why there isnt more enthusiasm around Davis, considering his ranking and offers out of HS. What am I missing, did he crap his pants during the spring game or somethin?

Respectfully disagree. If they are successful running the offense that gave then two wins in the last three games you play to win this game and close out a winning season. As I said in a separate post at least some of the players are very motivated to end the year with a winning record.

I am sure Davis got his reps in practice the last two weeks and the new staff saw what he is capable of. I am sure he will get additional opportunity in spring ball assuming he doesn't run the risk of a second transfer requiring him to sit next year and he portals. I am even more sure that short of injury he has zero shot at being QB1 in 2024 and nothing that happens Thursday will impact his decision on his football future.

Give the team the best chance to win this game. I obviously haven't been at practice, but if that is by having Davis play as a traditional QB because he has lit things up the last two weeks it would be a beautiful thing. If that's not the case run the offense that has been successful unless USF proves they can stop it.
I went back and watched Davis recruiting videos and he’s a very good passer. I think he may surprise. First play w him at qb run a deep pass like on Penn St .USF won’t be expecting it keying in running play.

This is second hand. But a few people who have watched him throw have used the word “yikes”. Hope he does great.
Watching him warm up before games, it was surprising to see his throwing style. It's all forearm. Kinda weird looking.

How is anyone questioning this game and what the players feel?

1. It's for a winning season
2. They didn't practice an extra 15 times to go through the motions on Thursday night

and most importantly

3. This is a dress rehearsal for the new coach and staff. If you want to stick around and be part of the #Franchise or perhaps your on the cusp there's no better way than to prove your worth on Thursday night against a quality opponent

The number one reason why winning this game is important is that it gives us a winning season instead of a losing season. That goes on our record for all time!
No, no, no,…..I’ve been told it’s a glorified scrimmage. Just like all the bowl games

I don’t understand why there isnt more enthusiasm around Davis, considering his ranking and offers out of HS. What am I missing, did he crap his pants during the spring game or somethin?
Davis throws like Lamar from Revenge of the Nerds.

Unless we can use a specially designed football made for his limp wristed throwing style, he isn’t going to be the answer.

How is anyone questioning this game and what the players feel?

1. It's for a winning season
2. They didn't practice an extra 15 times to go through the motions on Thursday night

and most importantly

3. This is a dress rehearsal for the new coach and staff. If you want to stick around and be part of the #Franchise or perhaps your on the cusp there's no better way than to prove your worth on Thursday night against a quality opponent

I might have missed it, but I don’t think anyone is questioning what this game means to the kids etc.

But in the grand scheme of things it really is “meaningless”.

I think that’s why people want to see Davis play etc because what do you have to lose?

You get to see what pieces we have etc.

While yes, it’s meaningful for the kids etc to get the win

It’s meaningless in the way that it’s not the worst thing in the world if they lose

I guess is the best way to explain

We have nothing to lose

Last edited:
As has been pointed out, USF has the worst pass defense in the FBS, so Davis getting his first real shot against bad competition(from a pass defense standpoint) is as much as can be asked

I might have missed it, but I don’t think anyone is questioning what this game means to the kids etc.

But in the grand scheme of things it really is “meaningless”.

I think that’s why people want to see David play etc because what do you have to lose?

You get to see what pieces we have etc.

While yes, it’s meaningful for the kids etc to get the win

It’s meaningless in the way that it’s not the worst thing in the world if they lose

I guess is the best way to explain

We have nothing to lose

Nothing matters.

200w.gif

Let Davis take his shot
If someone who can contribute next season gets hurt because we employ some run-dominant wildcat I’m gonna be sooooo pissed.

Davis throws like Lamar from Revenge of the Nerds.

Unless we can use a specially designed football made for his limp wristed throwing style, he isn’t going to be the answer.
Agreed, the forum will have given up on him throwing the football with roughly 13:25 to go in the 1st quarter. I would seriously temper expectations.