Women's Softball - Former SU softball players alleged abuses committed by head coach Shannon Doepking | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Women's Softball Former SU softball players alleged abuses committed by head coach Shannon Doepking

Well I probably have more experience than 99% of people here with leading and training young adults. I don't doubt some of it is legit. I think SU needs to investigate what is legitimate abuse, tough training and what is drama.

Last edited:
Her callous handling of mental health issues alone should get her canned

Well I probably have more experience than 99% of people here with leading and training young adults. I don't doubt some of it is legit. I think SU needs to investigate what is legitimate abuse, tough training and what is drama.
Yeah, but the leading and training of young adults in your field is based on functioning at a high level in a potentially life-or-death scenario. Not really the same level of discipline needed for D1 softball.

Yeah, but the leading and training of young adults in your field is based on functioning at a high level in a potentially life-or-death scenario. Not really the same level of discipline needed for D1 softball.
We had lots more safety nets if there was abuse going on. We had a chain of command. Did it always work? No, but there was a procedure in place. I can't speak for today's military.

A head coach also has a special position of trust with these players' lives. Linda's statements carry a lot of weight with me and it tells me SU better have done this correctly after it came to light.

Here is my main point: the article said SU officials were "shocked" at the allegations.

So why is the coach still coaching and not at least put on administrative leave pending an extensive investigation?

I can only draw a few conclusions:
- SUAD did nothing
- SUAD and SU did an incompetent investigation
- SU might have found something but not to level of removal
- SU was still investigating and this article was probably the last thing the school wanted to see. (See Boeheim's Rule #1 about premature)

Regardless IMHO this Coach is done. Once the Genie was let out of the bottle, you can't put it back in. I suspect this isn't going to end well. Linda is a lot closer to this than any of us and I do trust her opinions. SU better be fair to both the coaching staff and players current and past.

I'm glad there are players supporting her, but I don't think their letters invalidate the more serious allegations. I hope the university brings in a truly independent group to investigate (if they haven't already) to include interviews with all the players without AD staff members present. A public statement should be made indicating an investigation is under way or forthcoming. That should be able to put to rest whether this is a few disgruntled players or a broader problem.

This shouldn't be hashed out in the DO, which will only create division without reaching a proper conclusion.

FYI. This all happened 2-3 years ago. Anya left the team at the beginning of her sophomore season. She is a rising senior. She has not been on the team for almost 2 years. Logan Paul was a graduate transfer 2 years ago. How and why the DO is now reporting this, I do not know. Someone obviously brought it to their attention or given the current state of drama in athletics they dug it out.

FYI. This all happened 2-3 years ago. Anya left the team at the beginning of her sophomore season. She is a rising senior. She has not been on the team for almost 2 years. Logan Paul was a graduate transfer 2 years ago. How and why the DO is now reporting this, I do not know. Someone obviously brought it to their attention or given the current state of drama in athletics they dug it out.
All I know is that I watched the streams of the ladies playing Clemson this weekend and watching them hug their coach when they beat Clemson and the joy in the dugout didn't look like a group that was feeling "abused".

Since this stuff happened a couple years ago... I'm thinking now my theory is:

SU might have found something but not to level of removal

The current team seems to be buying in.