Forward Statfest...... | Syracusefan.com

Forward Statfest......

newmexicuse

All Conference
Brown and Copeland combined for exactly 40 minutes - as did Bell, Williams, and Taylor.

Composite stats for the BC Comb v the BWT Combo -

Rebounds 14 to 1
O Rebound 9 to 1
Points 16 to 12
Assists 3 to 2
Steals 2 to 1
Blocks 3 to 0
Amazing Stat - ZERO Turnovers by anyone
FG - 7 for 11 v 5 for 17
3 Point - 1 for 2 v 0 for 7
Fouls 3 to 0 - now normally fewer is better, but when the number is zero that says something about mixing it up - or not

Draw your own conclusions.

My conclusion is that it’s one game. Same as when Taylor went off for 24 points or whatever. I love Q and he was great last night. But he’s been real rough to date playing out of control and making bad decisions. Bell was great vs Cornell. Except for Brown they’ve all had their ups and downs.

I would like to see Brown play 40 minutes per game.

My conclusion is that it’s one game. Same as when Taylor went off for 24 points or whatever. I love Q and he was great last night. But he’s been real rough to date playing out of control and making bad decisions. Bell was great vs Cornell. Except for Brown they’ve all had their ups and downs.

One game that results in a loss vs an in conference rival means a lot when you have maybe 2 games in total after 12 that you played productively in.

You need to rebound and defend to win.

Brown and Copeland combined for exactly 40 minutes - as did Bell, Williams, and Taylor.

Composite stats for the BC Comb v the BWT Combo -

Rebounds 14 to 1
O Rebound 9 to 1
Points 16 to 12
Assists 3 to 2
Steals 2 to 1
Blocks 3 to 0
Amazing Stat - ZERO Turnovers by anyone
FG - 7 for 11 v 5 for 17
3 Point - 1 for 2 v 0 for 7
Fouls 3 to 0 - now normally fewer is better, but when the number is zero that says something about mixing it up - or not

Draw your own conclusions.
Two things that hurt this team the most:

1) We are most likely always going to struggle when Jesse is in foul trouble and/or not at 100%
2) The inconsistency of our collective group of forwards. Hopefully Maliq is one of the answers, and we thought Benny was turning a corner. We've had some good success now with all six (counting JBA), but it's difficult to game plan when the guys are up and down. If JAB can get three forwards consistently playing well, then it can make this team very competitive.

The ACC is a crapshoot. The league play is just starting and supposedly the two best teams, Virginia and Duke, have already lost.

One game that results in a loss vs an in conference rival means a lot when you have maybe 2 games in total after 12 that you played productively in.

You need to rebound and defend to win.

Huh?

Huh?
Bell was alright vs cornell but otherwise a forward who at this point in his development brings nothing but streaky limited scoring

In limited time its pretty clear other players bring a more well rounded game to the table.

If Copeland turns the ball over more the Bell its probably because he handles the ball more, makes an effort to facilitate and is aggressive.

Bell was alright vs cornell but otherwise a forward who at this point in his development brings nothing but streaky limited scoring

In limited time its pretty clear other players bring a more well rounded game to the table.

If Copeland turns the ball over more the Bell its probably because he handles the ball more, makes an effort to facilitate and is aggressive.

Q had the one big game last night. Taylor had the one big game earlier. Their other games have been ok at best or worse. My point is people want to anoint players after one game. Let them do it a few games in a row then you’re talking.

Q had the one big game last night. Taylor had the one big game earlier. Their other games have been ok at best or worse. My point is people want to anoint players after one game. Let them do it a few games in a row then you’re talking.
Well, they don’t get the chance to play meaningful minutes a few games in a row. That’s on of the many issues.

They have a good game then dont get PT to see if they extend it.

Other players have several bad games and continue playing.

I’ve just grown to accept that this staff does what it does. Obviously JB’s forgotten more than I’ll ever know about basketball but I just dont see it with Bell right now.

This team doesn’t have the experience to win games where they don’t rebound well. It is what it is. I’d rather the high effort kids who commit some dumb turnovers than the other guys who disappear when they’re not shooting

Well, they don’t get the chance to play meaningful minutes a few games in a row. That’s on of the many issues.

Taylor’s played. 7 games in a row he’s seen double digit minutes and 4 of those were 23 or more. Q hasn’t but that might be because he’s spazzed out so many times. He does have 5 games with double digit minutes though.

They have a good game then dont get PT to see if they extend it.

Other players have several bad games and continue playing.

I’ve just grown to accept that this staff does what it does. Obviously JB’s forgotten more than I’ll ever know about basketball but I just dont see it with Bell right now.

This team doesn’t have the experience to win games where they don’t rebound well. It is what it is. I’d rather the high effort kids who commit some dumb turnovers than the other guys who disappear when they’re not shooting

Taylor’s played plenty. Q hasn’t earned it yet. See my reply to Captain just above this.

Taylor’s played plenty. Q hasn’t earned it yet. See my reply to Captain just above this.

Taylor’s played 50+ mins less than Bell and has more rebounds, assists and steals.

Maliq half as much time and the same outperformance in those stats.

Copeland 2 less rebounds and similar assists and steals in 1/3 the minutes played.

I think you're spot on observing that it's one game. What is exciting is that each of the freshmen that float around the rotation have now had that one really good game (at least). The consistency isn't there at all but now with Copeland they've all shown they can do it, which is exciting.

I'm not sure I'd characterize Copeland's play so far as out of control or making bad decisions. I'd say it's more that his game has been very imbalanced - he's trying so hard to do the right thing for his teammates on the offensive end of the floor that he's passing up easier opportunities, both for himself and less risky plays for the other guys on the floor.

The dude does appear to have a supernatural feel for passing, and it's been a looooooong time since we've seen that (Z? The General?). But his teammates haven't figured that out, and Copeland hasn't discerned yet when a play that feels natural to him isn't natural for the other guys.

I for one am super excited to see more from him. As much as he could have played better, he's also shown exactly what I hoped for - he's an energy guy and emotional leader with swagger. When the performance lines up with the talent it's going to be really fun, and give us a major competitive advantage.

I think you're spot on observing that it's one game. What is exciting is that each of the freshmen that float around the rotation have now had that one really good game (at least). The consistency isn't there at all but now with Copeland they've all shown they can do it, which is exciting.

I'm not sure I'd characterize Copeland's play so far as out of control or making bad decisions. I'd say it's more that his game has been very imbalanced - he's trying so hard to do the right thing for his teammates on the offensive end of the floor that he's passing up easier opportunities, both for himself and less risky plays for the other guys on the floor.

The dude does appear to have a supernatural feel for passing, and it's been a looooooong time since we've seen that (Z? The General?). But his teammates haven't figured that out, and Copeland hasn't discerned yet when a play that feels natural to him isn't natural for the other guys.

I for one am super excited to see more from him. As much as he could have played better, he's also shown exactly what I hoped for - he's an energy guy and emotional leader with swagger. When the performance lines up with the talent it's going to be really fun, and give us a major competitive advantage.
Hopefully some day we will look back at Copeland's career and marvel at his improvement.

If we can keep these freshman here, we could be very solid when they’re upperclassmen.

Taylor’s played 50+ mins less than Bell and has more rebounds, assists and steals.

Maliq half as much time and the same outperformance in those stats.

Copeland 2 less rebounds and similar assists and steals in 1/3 the minutes played.

You dropped out Williams and added Brown. And 50 mins across 13 games isn’t a lot. And bell has scored more and shot better. Have you watched Q in previous games?

This is how Benny needs to shoot during the game instead of the flat rushed shot. Smooth and relaxed with arc. This is pregame last night.

He is standing in the same spot shooting an uncontested shot. Not a big achievement. And I have been a big supporter of his. He needs to bring it in a game. Every game. No rebounds for a kid like him is not acceptable.

Taylor and Maliq are solid and consistent. They probably shouldn’t play 30 minutes every night but their floors are higher than the other forwards.
I would say Taylor is “solid” in the sense that when he is in he plays hard and looks like he has a clue and doesn’t tick you off with dumb plays or soft play. Not always solid in terms of production though.

Brown is productive every time type of “solid”. He scores efficiently, he rebounds well, he makes defensive plays and he passes well for his position. He’s gotta be out there for 20+ every game, and 30 in a lot of games.

He is standing in the same spot shooting an uncontested shot. Not a big achievement. And I have been a big supporter of his. He needs to bring it in a game. Every game. No rebounds for a kid like him is not acceptable.

It’s the shooting form.

13D47E91-911E-4F8A-B0DA-389BA06912F8.jpeg
Reminders that inside players always fair better than perimeter players in these, so you can’t compare across roles/positions too much.

And they don’t tell the whole story. But they don’t lie either:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom