Forward Statfest...... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Forward Statfest......

You dropped out Williams and added Brown. And 50 mins across 13 games isn’t a lot. And bell has scored more and shot better. Have you watched Q in previous games?
This team lost to Bryant. Saying Bell shot better is awarding the tallest midget. We gotta rebound and create or we lose.

Benny’s inconsistent but you keep him in anyways if he’s rebounding.

Also my conclusions are that Mintz, Girard, Brown, and Edwards should generally be our main guys. Though if Girard is in a funk where he doesn’t score a point for 2 games or something, you sit him. But otherwise those 4 should be out there a lot.

Symir is the backup guard, though I think in certain situations Copeland should challenge for those minutes.

Hima is the backup C.

Mix and match at the other forward spot and for the backing up Brown minutes. I don’t really see a great solution there - the other guys all do different things well. They’ve all had good games. They’ve all had times where you wonder why they even get in the games at all. Frankly, that’s a difficult call and I don’t think Boeheim has done a bad job with it. He’s given them all cracks. He’s gone with hot hands. He’s gone with better matchups. I think unless someone emerges, that’s all you can really do.

But i do think Brown, moreso than Benny, should be the one who gets consistent heavy minutes - because he’s consistently played well.

I agree that we only have 4 players that have proven themselves. Copeland is the one ray of hope, when he is not out of control. Hima is better than next man up. That is why I would put Jesse at PF. Guarantee that he would out produce Benny. Play your best players especially when there is a big drop-off with Bell and more often than not, with Benny.

I think you're spot on observing that it's one game. What is exciting is that each of the freshmen that float around the rotation have now had that one really good game (at least). The consistency isn't there at all but now with Copeland they've all shown they can do it, which is exciting.

I'm not sure I'd characterize Copeland's play so far as out of control or making bad decisions. I'd say it's more that his game has been very imbalanced - he's trying so hard to do the right thing for his teammates on the offensive end of the floor that he's passing up easier opportunities, both for himself and less risky plays for the other guys on the floor.

The dude does appear to have a supernatural feel for passing, and it's been a looooooong time since we've seen that (Z? The General?). But his teammates haven't figured that out, and Copeland hasn't discerned yet when a play that feels natural to him isn't natural for the other guys.

I for one am super excited to see more from him. As much as he could have played better, he's also shown exactly what I hoped for - he's an energy guy and emotional leader with swagger. When the performance lines up with the talent it's going to be really fun, and give us a major competitive advantage.
Prior to getting Judah, Quadir was the player I was most excited about. I'm still wildly excited for him to develop and eventually take over. I think he's going to be a great player, fan-favorite, exciting to watch. He'll be ready for a big role next year.

I really like Quadir, but I like him more as a forward right now than a point guard and I suspect JB does as well. I just don't think he's earned the trust to be the primary ballhandler yet. Although he's bigger and more athletic, he has quite a bit of Scoop to his game which can be both a good and bad thing.

I really like Quadir, but I like him more as a forward right now than a point guard
Agree, he's probably the best on the wing and as a third ball handler until he can get more in tune with the game flow.

Would love if quadir would take some of sys minutes. Not because I don’t like sy, but so we have a guy at the top of the zone with some length to contest threes. There are a boatload of guys battling for forward mins as it is.

I really like Quadir, but I like him more as a forward right now than a point guard and I suspect JB does as well. I just don't think he's earned the trust to be the primary ballhandler yet. Although he's bigger and more athletic, he has quite a bit of Scoop to his game which can be both a good and bad thing.
Eh.

Have we even seen him play any guard minutes yet?

Practice I guess. But Taylor and Q as much as I live both have each had one really good game. Brown on the other hand……
Yea, it's more of a Brown vs Williams/Bell. I know Jim wants Bell to play because they are completely devoid of outside shooting besides JGIII. But continuing to play him and Benny and complaining about the same things over and over and over is getting ridiculous. Jim has become the definition of insanity.

Brown should get major minutes like 25-30 a game. The rest of the forward minutes should go to Bell/Benny/Taylor whoever is playing better. Taylor could also take some minutes from Joe. Symir to spell Judah when he needs a break or to settle down.

Brown should get major minutes like 25-30 a game. The rest of the forward minutes should go to Bell/Benny/Taylor whoever is playing better. Taylor could also take some minutes from Joe. Symir to spell Judah when he needs a break or to settle down.
I think Q has earned some minute opportunities. The challenge for Jimmy is figuring out who is the hot player from the four of them. Only Brown has consistency. You know what you will get from him. JBA is also in the mix, but his minutes should be very limited as he provides zero O and he is slow afoot.

as far as I am concerned Brown should get 30 MPG and the other four should be on short leashes.

the one thing I will say, is I hate when the leash is too short and Jimmy yanks a kid after one bad play. They then become afraid to try and make a play.

Last edited:
Brown and Copeland combined for exactly 40 minutes - as did Bell, Williams, and Taylor.

Composite stats for the BC Comb v the BWT Combo -

Rebounds 14 to 1
O Rebound 9 to 1
Points 16 to 12
Assists 3 to 2
Steals 2 to 1
Blocks 3 to 0
Amazing Stat - ZERO Turnovers by anyone
FG - 7 for 11 v 5 for 17
3 Point - 1 for 2 v 0 for 7
Fouls 3 to 0 - now normally fewer is better, but when the number is zero that says something about mixing it up - or not

Draw your own conclusions.

Nice work putting that together.

Good news/bad news.
The good - plenty of options with more flexibility than we have had in years. Players should be pushing each other for playing time which is a positive.
The bad - the talent level just isn't great. Average for high level power 5 programs. Average talent gets you average results less you catch lighting in a bottle and find a combination that plays collectively above their individual skill level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom