Fourth Downs... | Syracusefan.com

Fourth Downs...

Scooch

Living Legend
4th and 1 from the 50... attempted and converted, drive ended in FG.

4th and 1 from the SU 26... attempted and converted, drive ended in FG.

4th and 1 from Colgate 24... attempted and converted, drive ended in TD.

13 points from three 4th down conversion attempts.

Obviously some attempts are going to fail and some people will pitch a fit. But these are examples of exactly why you play call intelligently. More often than not good things happen.

4th and 1 from the 50... attempted and converted, drive ended in FG.

4th and 1 from the SU 26... attempted and converted, drive ended in FG.

4th and 1 from Colgate 24... attempted and converted, drive ended in TD.

13 points from three 4th down conversion attempts.

Obviously some attempts are going to fail and some people will pitch a fit. But these are examples of exactly why you play call intelligently. More often than not good things happen.
Just as important were the type of plays we ran to pick them up. Need a yard throw a 3 yard pass. That's way better than a 3 yard pass on 3rd and 7.

Scooch said:
4th and 1 from the 50... attempted and converted, drive ended in FG. 4th and 1 from the SU 26... attempted and converted, drive ended in FG. 4th and 1 from Colgate 24... attempted and converted, drive ended in TD. 13 points from three 4th down conversion attempts. Obviously some attempts are going to fail and some people will pitch a fit. But these are examples of exactly why you play call intelligently. More often than not good things happen.

The announcer was having his wiring tested. Couldn't believe it. "Can they really be going for it again?!" "As a defender you start to take those personally..."

Yes he did! Solid, right through the uprights. Kick-offs: not so much.:(

The kickoffs were fine. They were directional and generally pretty deep. If they were not in the end zone, they were within the five yard line and in the corner.

Millhouse said:
It's going to be great to hear stupid oafs get outraged at their barbaric sport being sullied by rational math

Yes, I hope everyone noted that I said play call "intelligently" not "aggressively".

The kickoffs were fine. They were directional and generally pretty deep. If they were not in the end zone, they were within the five yard line and in the corner.

I would really like to see some in the end zone, you know, like other teams kick against us? I guess I got too excited after our opening kick-off...

I would really like to see some in the end zone, you know, like other teams kick against us? I guess I got too excited after our opening kick-off...

Had a few in the end zone early. Maybe he got a little tired? I thought the kicks were fine in general.

It's going to be great to hear stupid oafs get outraged at their barbaric sport being sullied by rational math

Reminds me of Joe Morgan crapping his panties about Moneyball. I can't wait to hear it.

Reminds me of Joe Morgan crapping his panties about Moneyball. I can't wait to hear it.

Not to digress, but Moneyball won nothing for the A's but it was still worth a book and a movie? Congrats, Billy Beane, you won a few division titles.

Still, I do get your point.

iommi said:
Not to digress, but Moneyball won nothing for the A's but it was still worth a book and a movie? Congrats, Billy Beane, you won a few division titles. Still, I do get your point.

Well, and the approach ultimately revolutionized the game. So there was that.

Had a few in the end zone early. Maybe he got a little tired? I thought the kicks were fine in general.

One and done. The rest were forward of the goal line.

Not to digress, but Moneyball won nothing for the A's but it was still worth a book and a movie? Congrats, Billy Beane, you won a few division titles.

Not doubting that, but for a team with their financials during that time frame it kept them extremely competitive. The "secret" didn't stay with Beane and Oakland for long, within a year or two of teams knowing what he was doing, the Yankees, Red Sox and others started to do the same thing with budgets 5 times the size.

My point is (and I know you get it), bunting a runner to second and giving up an out is a "good play" to the old school baseball crowd, when in all reality it's crap. Football the same, nobody ever gave us crap for the way we played football, just that we stunk at it. We bring a different dynamic and play the numbers and see what statistically works in the game and use it to our advantage, we may not win the title, but we can stay competitive against teams that probably would have trounced us in the past.

I'm not raising the bar in expectations for this team as I do think it will take a couple of seasons to get where Babers wants us, but, with the system that we're working with, we have the opportunity to put a ton of points on the board, no matter who we're playing, same can't be said the past few years.

Smart strategy only closes the gap so much. Eventually talent takes over. It'll happen to us this year too. That doesn't mean the strategy is faulty.

The first one was taking candy from a baby. Eric looked up, didn't see an end lined up to his left and jogged over for the first.

Why every team doesn't at least line up to see if this is available boggles me.

Coaches simply don't trust their QB's to make the call.

Smart strategy only closes the gap so much. Eventually talent takes over. It'll happen to us this year too. That doesn't mean the strategy is faulty.

Oh, I agree. I just didn't think Moneyball had the actual success worthy of a book/ major motion picture, despite the concept closing the gap in the big money era of baseball.

Not doubting that, but for a team with their financials during that time frame it kept them extremely competitive. The "secret" didn't stay with Beane and Oakland for long, within a year or two of teams knowing what he was doing, the Yankees, Red Sox and others started to do the same thing with budgets 5 times the size.

My point is (and I know you get it), bunting a runner to second and giving up an out is a "good play" to the old school baseball crowd, when in all reality it's crap. Football the same, nobody ever gave us crap for the way we played football, just that we stunk at it. We bring a different dynamic and play the numbers and see what statistically works in the game and use it to our advantage, we may not win the title, but we can stay competitive against teams that probably would have trounced us in the past.

I'm not raising the bar in expectations for this team as I do think it will take a couple of seasons to get where Babers wants us, but, with the system that we're working with, we have the opportunity to put a ton of points on the board, no matter who we're playing, same can't be said the past few years.

Wow! Baseball and football mixed together! If I was still leaning over a pee trough, I think I'd vomit... Don't get many points for that.

There were two or three in end zone early. Not trying to argue but I'm like 95% sure.

I stand by one and done. Agree to disagree, but I think you are wrong, friend. I will be the first to apologize if I am proven wrong.