Fox Sports in Negotiations to Hold a New Men’s College Basketball Tournament in Las Vegas in Late March | Syracusefan.com

Fox Sports in Negotiations to Hold a New Men’s College Basketball Tournament in Las Vegas in Late March

Didn’t they move the NIT finals to Vegas? Not just for COVID but permanently bc MSG isn’t interested?

I don’t think teams will want to participate an extra home game is one thing but an extended conference tournament after you just played in one sounds awful. These kids aren’t going to be partying and enjoying Vegas from the blackjack table.

Also there aren’t many more than 16 teams total in those 3 conferences that will miss the tournament in a given year. The Big 12 got all but 3-4 teams in last year.

Obviously sending kids across the country to play in games no one will watch isnt going to effect their academics or anything…

Not for nothing, but the headline reads like this could be the first step towards the inevitable dismantling of March Madness. Come to find out it's for teams left out of the Big Dance so...phew!
And it’ll last a couple years before folding, hardly any casual fans watch the NIT, this will be the same issue. I’m just not sure how you make your money back.

College sports are just getting totally ruined.

make it rain GIF

There aren't even 16 worthy teams left. Does the NCAA require you to be over .500? Last year there were only 13 teams from those 3 conferences that were left out and over .500.

Last year...

B12 (4): Okie State, Texas Tech, Cincy, BYU

Big East (3): Nova, Seton Hall, St Johns

B18 (6): Michigan, Rutgers, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Oregon, Washington

To get to 16 teams you need to take 3 teams from Oklahoma, UCF, Butler, DePaul, Georgetown, Ohio State, Minnesota. Since 4 of those were really really bad it would need to be Oklahoma, Butler, Ohio State.

The field would include the top 16 teams from the Big East, Big Ten and Big 12 that didn't make the NCAA tournament; they’d be required to decline NIT invitations.

I enjoy cbb, not as nearly to the level I did a decade ago. But there is NO WAY I'm watching this, even if SU were in it.

There aren't even 16 worthy teams left. Does the NCAA require you to be over .500? Last year there were only 13 teams from those 3 conferences that were left out and over .500.

Last year...

B12 (4): Okie State, Texas Tech, Cincy, BYU

Big East (3): Nova, Seton Hall, St Johns

B18 (6): Michigan, Rutgers, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Oregon, Washington

To get to 16 teams you need to take 3 teams from Oklahoma, UCF, Butler, DePaul, Georgetown, Ohio State, Minnesota. Since 4 of those were really really bad it would need to be Oklahoma, Butler, Ohio State.
Don’t shortchange Utah & Colorado!

Don’t shortchange Utah & Colorado!
Too much changing going on, forgot the PAC to B12 moves. That gives 15 teams at .500 or better. So wouldn’t that mean they are still one team short?

They should make it only 13 teams and play the below:

Ace seed gets a bye
King seed gets a bye
Queen seed gets a bye
Jack plays the 2
10 plays the 3
9 plays the 4
8 plays the 5
7 plays the 6

I think they should hold it in May when schools are out. Don't exclude NCAA teams, make it so teams are not made up of schools, but with players from the transfer portal. Call it the Transfer Portal Madness, and assign them to teams. Heck, make it Co-ed! The first ever college basketball Co-ed transfer portal tournament with teams made up exclusively from the portal. They can do all the NIL things at half time. That would be so FUBAR!

The NIL is piece is interesting. Sounds like the players could make more from this than playing in the NCAAT ($0)

Could they also add that the big10 teams, or whatever they are calling now, that lose in the first round of march madness?

Wouldn’t it be held then around the same time when the transfer portal opens up? One longer last look for coaches to see players that could be NIL targets?

Could they also add that the big10 teams, or whatever they are calling now, that lose in the first round of march madness?
No. The NCAA would drop the hammer real fast for that as a threat to their tournament. As it is, they own the NIT now, and probably won't like the idea of having this competitor, since it could give ESPN ideas.

No. The NCAA would drop the hammer real fast for that as a threat to their tournament. As it is, they own the NIT now, and probably won't like the idea of having this competitor, since it could give ESPN ideas.
You are a better person than I am. You were giving an honest answer to a question. I was taking a dig at a conference that is perceived better than ours, getting more teams in March Madness than ours; and those teams lose in the first two rounds.

College sports are just getting totally ruined.

What's the point in playing once you are completely out of the running?? Shouldn't they be getting back to classes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom