Fran’s sideline demeanor | Syracusefan.com

Fran’s sideline demeanor

FrancoPizza

2018 Iggy Leading Minutes Per Game Winner
You know where I’m going with this. I’d like to see him be a little more restrained and selective when he goes postal and starts smashing things - simply because I think that players tune that stuff out if they see it too much. It’s a lot more effective if it is used sparingly.

It also gives me vibes of immaturity because that’s how I used to react when I was younger. Could you imagine if George Washington couldn’t keep his composure at Valley Forge? We’d all have British accents.

You know where I’m going with this. I’d like to see him be a little more restrained and selective when he goes postal and starts smashing things - simply because I think that players tune that stuff out if they see it too much. It’s a lot more effective if it is used sparingly.

It also gives me vibes of immaturity because that’s how I used to react when I was younger. Could you imagine if George Washington couldn’t keep his composure at Valley Forge? We’d all have British accents.
I actually like the intensity

Sorry but I think some of it's refreshing compared to Dino who acted like a robot most of the time.
There is an in between the two extremes for sure.

Over time I suspect Fran will calm down a bit and no one to light up officials and what not.

The headset slam is not ok for a bunch of reasons, but even if you don’t mind the antics you have to know that the headset is breakable, and I don’t know how many headsets we bring to away games, but I’d bet it’s not a large number of spares.

Fran is amazing. He wears his heart and emotions on his sleeves and that part I hope never changes. But this to me feels like one of the things he is going to learn on the job.

Compared with past games, Fran seemed particularly animated. In general, I like to see the HC keep his head in the game and maintain some situational awareness. But I think Fran's behavior reflects his genuine persona, and is not an act.

Check out some clips of Saban, especially when he was at Michigan State in his early days. Makes Fran look tame

Compared with past games, Fran seemed particularly animated. In general, I like to see the HC keep his head in the game and maintain some situational awareness. But I think Fran's behavior reflects his genuine persona, and is not an act.
Nobody said it was an act. I just know personally if I get too hot it clouds my judgment. I think he’ll learn.

Heres the deal, if we win, people will like fran’s demeanor. If we lose, they will find a way to critique it.
Yep and at the end of the day all coaches are different but here we always want the opposite of who are current coach is with regard to sideline demeanor. People complained all the time that Doug and Dino were too stoic

I agree with your perspective. If you get overly emotional and carry on all the time then people think you are an a-hole and just start tuning you out. If you are more selective then people tend to think they ought to listen if you are that upset. Remember a few years ago when we played Rutgers and Schiano carried on the whole game. That’s an a-hole.

He sIapped a pIayer upside the head. The guy had on his heImut so no harm. I'm from the schooI that says "no hands". I was never a Bobby Knight fan.

The post-TD celebration with Meeks was silly and, in my opinion, not a head coach's job. A GA or position coach, sure.

Head coach needs to be even keeled. He can complain in the postgame about the reactions of the kids but attitude reflects leadership, captain.

Give the guy a break, it’s his first year as HC. He should calm down a bit but i find it nice to have a HC with some emotion!

If GW didn't light a fire under his troops, they would have froze to death at Valley Forge.
But if he threw the oars into the river or smashed them… then it gets interesting.

You can’t get pissed at people on the sidelines whether it be a coach, ref or player. You show positive emotion when good things happen but not over the top. Teach or correct directly, sternly but calmly. That is what resonates with kids.

I do like that he looks like he wants to be there

The post-TD celebration with Meeks was silly and, in my opinion, not a head coach's job. A GA or position coach, sure.

Head coach needs to be even keeled. He can complain in the postgame about the reactions of the kids but attitude reflects leadership, captain.
There is a little look at me stuff going on but whatever