Fran’s sideline demeanor | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Fran’s sideline demeanor

You know where I’m going with this. I’d like to see him be a little more restrained and selective when he goes postal and starts smashing things - simply because I think that players tune that stuff out if they see it too much. It’s a lot more effective if it is used sparingly.

It also gives me vibes of immaturity because that’s how I used to react when I was younger. Could you imagine if George Washington couldn’t keep his composure at Valley Forge? We’d all have British accents.
Bad post

You can’t get pissed at people on the sidelines whether it be a coach, ref or player. You show positive emotion when good things happen but not over the top. Teach or correct directly, sternly but calmly. That is what resonates with kids.
Sounds like a pickleball player

I love Kirby and it obviously is successful. Presume has 0 idea that was a miss state player there... he emerged between white shirt assistant coaches and was locked in on officials
Which is fair but do you see Fran shoving assistants in confusion that was my only point.

The post-TD celebration with Meeks was silly and, in my opinion, not a head coach's job. A GA or position coach, sure.

Head coach needs to be even keeled. He can complain in the postgame about the reactions of the kids but attitude reflects leadership, captain.

Personally, IMO, I couldn't agree more. I get (and like) coach showing emotion after a big play, TD, etc., as in high fiving, or something of that nature. However, to immediately seek Meeks out and copying Meeks' arm curl celebration or whatever the heck his act is, well, IMO, quite juvenile, embarrassing and goofy as all get out. Especially, at the head coach level.

You can’t get pissed at people on the sidelines whether it be a coach, ref or player. You show positive emotion when good things happen but not over the top. Teach or correct directly, sternly but calmly. That is what resonates with kids.

If only the foreman on our pipeline crew taught and corrected sternly but calmly. LoL. every kid should work construction.

what resonates with kids varies. kids need to be mentally tough to win championships, how you get there is the hard part.

Holy crap did this post take an insane turn.

1. It’s who Fran is. As kcsu said, check out Saban or a number of other big time college coaches have been.

2. Do not compare college football to war.

Of course his post was in jest. I mean, otherwise, you'd have to literally single out a plethora of posters here as well, fans, media, etc. and basically much of the sporting world who consisting remark "it's going to be a war," or "it's going to be a battle," in big match-up type affairs, etc. Where these remarks, albeit figurative and inappropriate as well, much less in jest than the poster's remark about us all having Brit accents.

Personally, IMO, I couldn't agree more. I get (and like) coach showing emotion after a big play, TD, etc., as in high fiving, or something of that nature. However, to immediately seek Meeks out and copying Meeks' arm curl celebration or whatever the heck his act is, well, IMO, quite juvenile, embarrassing and goofy as all get out. Especially, at the head coach level.
I think that's old school mentality. Not sure how old you are, but I was in college when the Dome first opened. I think this younger generation responds and acts a lot differently than 40 years ago. If Fran is right there with his team acting like one of them, so be it. No one is getting hurt, the team is loose and more importantly, the team is winning.

And Fran understands there are issues that need to be corrected on the field.

I think that's old school mentality. Not sure how old you are, but I was in college when the Dome first opened. I think this younger generation responds and acts a lot differently than 40 years ago. If Fran is right there with his team acting like one of them, so be it. No one is getting hurt, the team is loose and more importantly, the team is winning.

And Fran understands there are issues that need to be corrected on the field.

Well, I'm 60, so for sure I'm more old school. Additionally, it's simply my view, and why twice I inserted the 'IMO' connotation. Although, you didn't inject same specifically, I realize your post is simply your personal opinion as well. :)

I've watched all of the great coaches throw their headsets over the years. NFL and college. I like a fired up coach. Those who want restraint are those who like the Dome knitter. It is a sporting event. I bet we miss half of the time the other coaches do these same things.
EDIT/ As for age, I am 70. I like to change with the times. Not an old foggey. Never was and never will be.

I've watched all of the great coaches throw their headsets over the years. NFL and college. I like a fired up coach. Those who want restraint are those who like the Dome knitter. It is a sporting event. I bet we miss half of the time the other coaches do these same things.
EDIT/ As for age, I am 70. I like to change with the times. Not an old foggey. Never was and never will be.
I agree. Fran being Fran. If he watches tape and doesn't like what he sees post game he'll adjust if he wants to or perhaps remain the way he is.

Just win baby.

If it's genuine and he moves on to the next play, which I think he does, I'm fine with his sideline demeanor.

Coaches can't catch a break with our fans. If they show emotion, they're out of control immature idiots. If they're retrained, they're uncaring robots.

Different things resonate with different players. Some respond to a tongue lashing, some tune out. Some respond well to calm teaching, some see that approach as weak and don't take it seriously. You have to know your guys and approach them appropriately.

Different things resonate with different players. Some respond to a tongue lashing, some tune out. Some respond well to calm teaching, some see that approach as weak and don't take it seriously. You have to know your guys and approach them appropriately.
This is exactly what he said on the huddle post game. He knows each player and how they celebrate and react and he does it with them. Guys this is why he is an elite recruiter.

You know where I’m going with this. I’d like to see him be a little more restrained and selective when he goes postal and starts smashing things - simply because I think that players tune that stuff out if they see it too much. It’s a lot more effective if it is used sparingly.

It also gives me vibes of immaturity because that’s how I used to react when I was younger. Could you imagine if George Washington couldn’t keep his composure at Valley Forge? We’d all have British accents.
If he wins, he can be as immature as he wants. This isn't the 70s with Laundry, Shula, Bryant, Hayes, Gibbs. Head coaches are totally different and this is how they act these days.

Nice to see Syracuse with someone who acts like a modern coach and that isn't stuck in the past or trying to be something from the past. Since that is not where the sport is today.

If it's genuine and he moves on to the next play, which I think he does, I'm fine with his sideline demeanor.

Coaches can't catch a break with our fans. If they show emotion, they're out of control immature idiots. If they're retrained, they're uncaring robots.

Nah, not really. There are nuances, etc. And, I think many can make the distinction between being stoic and showing zero emotion, etc., from the other extreme of being over the top and the like. JMO.

Specifically, and from a compartmentalizing standpoint, I don't recall where I've ever seen a 'head coach' emulate one of his player's celebration antics, etc. in the moment.

Last edited:
Well, I'm 60, so for sure I'm more old school. Additionally, it's simply my view, and why twice I inserted the 'IMO' connotation. Although, you didn't inject same specifically, I realize your post is simply your personal opinion as well. :)
Yup, and my 2 cents is worth 2 cents. I remember back in the day when we looked to hire someone, they needed to be an Alk American kid. Our companies handbook said no unnatural hair color, no visible tattoos, only one ear piercing and no face piercing.

Today, if you needed to hire someone who looked like that, you would eliminate easily over half the eligible candidates and limit your ability to find the right person. Of course, what does that have to do with coaching.

Fran was named the number one recruiter in the country last year and he recruited to Syracuse a legitimate Heisman Trophy candidate and the team is winning. So if he wants to act like Fran Brown and not Tom Landry, I'm drinking the Orange Juice.

Again, only my 2 cents and not necessarily anyone else's.

I cannot believe this is even a topic of conversation. He is more animated than probably anyone we have had before and I’m sure for some it will take some getting used to. But he is producing results and actually acts like he gives a crap other than the robotic nature of his predecessor. I swear people just look for crap to complain about. Just sit back and enjoy!!