Fran’s sideline demeanor | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Fran’s sideline demeanor

You know where I’m going with this. I’d like to see him be a little more restrained and selective when he goes postal and starts smashing things - simply because I think that players tune that stuff out if they see it too much. It’s a lot more effective if it is used sparingly.

It also gives me vibes of immaturity because that’s how I used to react when I was younger. Could you imagine if George Washington couldn’t keep his composure at Valley Forge? We’d all have British accents.

Holy crap did this post take an insane turn.

1. It’s who Fran is. As kcsu said, check out Saban or a number of other big time college coaches have been.

2. Do not compare college football to war.

You know where I’m going with this. I’d like to see him be a little more restrained and selective when he goes postal and starts smashing things - simply because I think that players tune that stuff out if they see it too much. It’s a lot more effective if it is used sparingly.

It also gives me vibes of immaturity because that’s how I used to react when I was younger. Could you imagine if George Washington couldn’t keep his composure at Valley Forge? We’d all have British accents.
I'm sure fans of other schools will be willing to put up with Fran as their HC next season.

You would think as poor as this program has been, that everyone would embrace everything about Fran Brown, but some people want to nit pick.

Trust the process. Someday we may look back after Fran wins a national championship or a Super Bowl and remember fondly this is where he got his first head coaching job.

At least he was celebrating with his players unlike the statistically worst QB in football history, Randy edsall

Less concerned about his behavior...

Meeks had a good game and was bigging-up after every play... he didn't taunt opposing players that I saw, but he was getting close to the line... I hope he can tone down that behavior a bit as we don't need any bonehead unsportsmanlike calls at the wrong time.

Last edited:

It’s something I’d like him to work on next year, but appreciate it this year. Fran seems like someone who is pretty calculated and I have a feeling it’s intentional.

1. It’s who Fran is. As kcsu said, check out Saban or a number of other big time college coaches have been.

Or if you do how about Churchill or Patton think those guys had some passion

I agree with you but since you mentioned comparisons...not sure dropping Saban into a comparison with Fran is spot on either.
Compared to what we have had his passion is palpable as is his competitiveness. He needs to keep growing and channeling it because from my living room seat the sideline last night got a little to emotionally chaotic.
I agree though that this is way down on the list of issues he or we need to worry about.

Coach Browns sideline demeanor during a game is not any different than what the players and coaches see at practice. Some people act surprised that he gets emotional during a game. Thats his personality and I for one like the fact the he lights up those who need to get lit up. As several posters have already pointed out Coach Saban would often get quite animated on the sideline as well. Rather have Coach Brown hot and bothered in situations that call for it than have someone pulling at their neck or rubbing their chin staring off into space wondering what just happened. Go Orange!!!!!!

Gotta disagree with OP. I know as Cuse fans we like to hate Dan Hurley, but i see similarities between him and HCFB. Passionate about the game and passionate for their players. I love it, especially compared to how we had it before.

Coach Fran is exactly what players want as a leader. He's genuine and real and willing to get after refs, coaches, players indiscriminately. This plays very well with recruits which is why Fran is as successful as he is and has been. Him pointing at the replay screen and screaming at the refs is all of us and all his players.

Short version, Fran is Kirby Smart 2.0 and I couldn't be more thrilled to have that type of passion injected into the malaise that has been Syracuse football.

Coach Fran is exactly what players want as a leader. He's genuine and real and willing to get after refs, coaches, players indiscriminately. This plays very well with recruits which is why Fran is as successful as he is and has been. Him pointing at the replay screen and screaming at the refs is all of us and all his players.

Short version, Fran is Kirby Smart 2.0 and I couldn't be more thrilled to have that type of passion injected into the malaise that has been Syracuse football.
Did you see what Kirby did yesterday? Fran is restrained compared to what Smart did in the Miss State game.

“I love the way they're talking to you. 'Cause they're winners. Winners get to do what they want”​

-Ricky Bobby

Fine with me. I’m sure it annoys opposing fans much like I wanted to punch Jamie Dixon And Buzz Williams for being on the basketball court acting like jackarses.

Did you see what Kirby did yesterday? Fran is restrained compared to what Smart did in the Miss State game.

I love Kirby and it obviously is successful. Presume has 0 idea that was a miss state player there... he emerged between white shirt assistant coaches and was locked in on officials

Fine wit it for our guy, it annoys me when it's other coaches, I don't care if that's hypocritical.
it annoys me when it's an act... aka Franklin, Kelly, Schiano, Edsall, etc. but not when its genuine. disingenuous people bother me regardless though.