Fran Brown, Syracuse Football New Head Coach, Official Announcement | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown, Syracuse Football New Head Coach, Official Announcement

However, reading the thread about how this is such a crap shoot, how Fran interviewd for Temple after Diaz left, where temple hired a MAC HC with an amazing record only to have him coach poorly and ultimatley get himself fired a few years later...this is the definition of trying something new.
You mean Rod Carey who went form Northern Illinois to Temple. He inherited a good team at NIU, but his last 4 years he was 29-24 so he wasn't doing that well at NIU. He was a poor choice for Temple as he was a Midwestern guy with no experience in the Northeast. Plus he was hired late replacing Diaz who bolted for Miami. He was solid at Temple his first year going 8-5 and beating Maryland and Georgia Tech, but his next season was the COVID year and things fell apart.

While I don't expect many transfers from Georgia, I expect us to be taken much more seriously from the football HS powerhouses in what should be our recruiting wheelhouse.

I also agree we could be a choice destination for transfers who got buried at a larger school.

I'm really psyched about this hire, hope Nunzio is staying.

Ok you hate the hire. Come back in three years if we still suck. Coach Brown was hired and all your complaining does nothing.
Brown will be gone in 3-4 years, either because he was fired or snatched up by another program. If it’s the latter, there might be enough talent left over for another successful season or two. Bottom line, we’ll be here again before you know it.

He’s a short-term solution to a long-term problem.

I have to say that out of all the candidates and after reading about Brown he does sound impressive….no he doesn’t have head coaching experience like some wanted but Dino did and it’s not like he set the world on fire. It’s time to turn the chapter and move forward with Brown’s vision. I am excited today and very happy.

He makes $900k, from Georgia, wife is from Georgia, played at Georgia, has coached and lived in the South his entire life, and son is a walk-on QB at Georgia. He's not coming to Syracuse.
Yeah I don't see that happening either. No connection to here and probably is comfortable with his gig since he's from GA.

Brown will be gone in 3-4 years, either because he was fired or snatched up by another program. If it’s the latter, there might be enough talent left over for another successful season or two. Bottom line, we’ll be here again before you know it.

So, you're saying life goes on...

So who’s the long term solution? Any coach will do the same. I’d love for us to be in that position as that is what happened with Mac-P. It means we were good again. I’m ok with that. Evidently you’re not.

Last edited:
Next hiring step will be critical. It will be very telling if the University is willing to spend top dollar for an OC.
It willing be extremely interesting as to who Brown is able to attract and add to his staff. Must be a full commitment to this first time HC.