Fran Brown | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s pros and cons to everyone

Chesney or Brown both need the right staff.

Chesneys never recruited at this level while Brown is considered one of the best in the business. Brown has never been a HC while Chesney is known for building up programs.

Idk man. Browns name probably carries a ton more weight nationally and if I’m in the SUAD I can definitely sell two time national champion, voted best recruiter, etc

Brown you need to know a lot more about his Xs and Os too

What a week it’s been. I think i could talk myself into either eventually

Coen I wouldn’t return his calls

Recruiting is 80% of the game to win in college sports. You have to have the talent to win. Just like pitching is 80% of the game for winning MLB teams. Brown would be an interesting out of the box idea. Great recruiter (yes, I know he has a lot to sell in UGa). Wasn't he an assoc. head coach at Baylor?

IDK. I think there is value hiring an HC off a staff like Georgia’s.
If you want attention and a buzz, few teams buzz louder in CFB than UGA. Having a new HC from the National Champ, SEC Georgia Bulldogs would likely turn a lot more heads - especially for recruits/current players - than having a new coach from Holy Cross or a MAC school.

Tend to agree. JW has always made publicly clear recruiting is #1
Thats partially a pipe dream, IMO. Good recruiting follows Winning, Hype, or a BIG name. Our Big name is out.

We havent had a top 50 class in ages. Only checked to 2010 - no top 50. Baber's brought initial hype. We went from #62 to 54, 51, 50, and then it fell apart. 60 to 73, after that. Its difficult making good players play for a mediocre team. Nearly impossible.

I'd put developement 1st. The only way to win with the guys we have.. Start winning, instead of being an ACC tomato can? All right then. Only then do I see us with a top 40/30 class.

Reactions: 007
Not to a P5 job though

Stop moving the goal post.

Even more impressive that he got Western Michigan to #15 before he left.

Oh and Andy Reid is one of the goats of the NFL.

Being a coordinator is not a requirement to become a good HC. Helps you get there but isn’t everything.

You have to be able to coach also no matter how good of a recruiter you are hyped up to be when you are the person in charge you need to be able to win or the recruits will leave...

Thats partially a pipe dream, IMO. Good recruiting follows Winning, Hype, or a BIG name. Our Big name is out.

We havent had a top 50 class in ages. Only checked to 2010 - no top 50. Baber's brought initial hype. We went from #62 to 54, 51, 50, and then it fell apart. 60 to 73, after that. Its difficult making good players play for a mediocre team. Nearly impossible.

I'd put developement 1st. The only way to win with the guys we have.. Start winning, instead of being an ACC tomato can? All right then. Only then do I see us with a top 40/30 class.
I would generally agree but I think the portal changes the dynamic.

Curious question

If Kirby Smart retired today

How many people at Georgia get the job before Brown. 1? 2? None?

Georgia is of course, not Syracuse, and they’d fish in a much bigger pond, but if they had to go in house.. does Brown get the job?

Stop moving the goal post.

Even more impressive that he got Western Michigan to #15 before he left.

Oh and Andy Reid is one of the goats of the NFL.

Being a coordinator is not a requirement to become a good HC. Helps you get there but isn’t everything.

I think he's just reiterating what Wildhack's stated requirements were, although I'm sure they could change.

Ed Orgeron is always my go-to example of a guy who was never a coordinator.

You have to be able to coach also no matter how good of a recruiter you are hyped up to be when you are the person in charge you need to be able to win or the recruits will leave...

I mean their OC/QB coach got demoted and is surely about to bounce so there is that

1701109566191.jpeg

As far as I am concerned, there is at least one substantial concern with all the candidates we know about.

Chesney has never coached higher than the FCS level.

Brown has never been a HC and was only a co-DC for one year.

Candle has no eastern roots. He has not recruited the areas we have been getting players from much. Most of the Toledo players are from Ohio and to a lesser extent, Michigan. He does has 15 players from Florida. 5 from Georgia. 2 from Texas. 1 from NJ, NY, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Connecticut and Massachusetts. 0 from Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina. 0 from Canada too (unless I missed them).
Not a great fit from that perspective.

Not sure if any other coaches are still involved. I hope White is.

Bottom line is, you can find something to complain about all the candidates. There is no perfect fit. I think we need to be looking at the positives each coach brings and find the one whose positives most clearly outweigh their negatives.

I am not sure who is the best fit. I really am not. I suspect John might be in the same boat.

As far as I am concerned, there is at least one substantial concern with all the candidates we know about.

Candle has no eastern roots. He has not recruited the areas we have been getting players from much. Most of the Toledo players are from Ohio and to a lesser extent, Michigan. He does has 15 players from Florida. 5 from Georgia. 2 from Texas. 1 from NJ, NY, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Connecticut and Massachusetts. 0 from Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina. 0 from Canada too (unless I missed them).

Bottom line is, you can find something to complain about all the candidates. There is no perfect fit. I think we need to be looking at the positives each coach brings and find the one whose positives most clearly outweigh their negatives.

I am not sure who is the best fit. I really am not. I suspect John might be in the same boat.
Yes and in doing so consider what a particular candidate's shortcomings can be overcome by good staff selections.

No an easy call, for sure.

If you want attention and a buzz, few teams buzz louder in CFB than UGA. Having a new HC from the National Champ, SEC Georgia Bulldogs would likely turn a lot more heads - especially for recruits/current players - than having a new coach from Holy Cross or a MAC school.

Locksley was at Bama for 3 years including one as OC, yet Maryland hasn't taken off. They are slightly better than his predecessors but still below the Fridge days.

Can’t lie, the whole Mullen situation completely took the wind out of my sails. I just want this done soon, whether it’s Chesney or Brown they’re both going to have to put together a solid staff and get working on retaining our guys and hitting the portal come the 4th. Ideally we hear something today or tomorrow, anything past that I’m going to be concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teddy19

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom