Fran Brown | Page 69 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prime lives off his clippings so who knows if he can coach though. Rolling over half a roster is not something any coach would probably do well. if he had rolled a better oline out it would have helped.

Some coaches are better at HC than others even the ones with experience flounder when take that leap. Recruiting is a big help to cover mistakes. Sometimes its the staff you build that matters more than what you do as a HC.

If he was in the running 3 yrs ago he probably has worked on the issues that held him back then. Lets hope so.. Maybe he has a notebook on how to run things from his times working with other HCs?

Wonder what the odds of him were in Vegas on being named next HC at SU. If anyone here put some $$$ down kudos to you guys/gals.

Since you asked, as I said in my OP, 'win an NC and bring that luster with him to SU'.

Or, let him coach in the Gasparilla Bowl and struggle with Bumbles recruits against some dumb school, and lose some of that luster before he's even had a chance to start.

As long as Smart allows him to start hiring and recruiting for SU right away... If that can be worked out, it's a positive situation.

No idea if this is common practice not.
Didn't he win a NC with them last year? His resume already has that luster. Choosing to not coach his new team in a bowl game seems like something his players would view negatively. Dino turning it down wasn't a good look to me. He doesn't work for Smart at that point, he works for Wildhack and Syracuse University. He needs to be here doing things as the new head coach of the Orange.

We're moving on from a HORRIBLE in game decision maker who's teams were historically undisciplined and continuously made the same mistakes over and over, so honestly the worst case scenario w/ Coach Brown is that we stay the same.
Agree but unfortunately thats not why you make the coaching change to begin with. You are supposed to upgrade not remain consistently bad!

Didn't he win a NC with them last year? His resume already has that luster. Choosing to not coach his new team in a bowl game seems like something his players would view negatively. Dino turning it down wasn't a good look to me. He doesn't work for Smart at that point, he works for Wildhack and Syracuse University. He needs to be here doing things as the new head coach of the Orange.

Wouldn't that depend on when the contract starts?

Dini won the MAC...and look where that got him. Winning in lower levels doesn't guarantee that you're a good coach
Nobody is saying it does. It is less risky though.

We'll see. I don't care that much, and won'tcomment further. Up to Wildhack. Just pointing out the positives with it. A 2nd and more recent NC is better than 1, and imagine the coverage that could happen on TV during the games? Nice recruiting tools. Better than a 5 point win in the Gasparilla, IMO.

We'll see. I don't care that much, and won'tcomment further. Up to Wildhack. Just pointing out the positives with it. A 2nd and more recent NC is better than 1, and imagine the coverage that could happen on TV during the games? Nice recruiting tools. Better than a 5 point win in the Gasparilla, IMO.

The dude isn’t going to coach Georgia in the playoffs and the NC if we are hiring him

And he’s also NOT going to coach our bowl game lol

He’s going to spend the next month recruiting and assembling his staff

Yep. He was at Rutgers. We had Chestnut. They had Clark. There were rumors we were going after Clark late and he made a passive aggressive Twitter post about going after Chestnut.
Good. I want some swagger. Let him lock down Jersey and shut up schiano forever. They're a peer school we need to beat on the recruiting trail. Same with Pitt, Maryland and others. It's time to start acting like winners and getting better guys. I want folks with a chip on their shoulder and a desire to win. You all complain about the games. Talent makes it easier.

Screw it my orange colored glasses are on. To the moon with Fran. We have been so stale with Dino lately. If Fran can get some massive transfers in December then watch all the hype surround this program. If we can close on a great recruiting HS class too….. that’s the stuff that makes waves and starts convos at the local bars

When I first heard about Fran, I was stuck in the mode of looking for a proven HC. After reading all the pro Fran posts, I’m thinking, why not take the risk with a proven power recruiter who is young and with the ability to upgrade our player pool. He needs good coordinators and hopefully will retain Nunzio. If he is our choice, let’s give it a go. He will certainly upgrade our talent and is a player development coach!

Coach Brown to a player or parent who says they want to see Lally and the Dome before committing:

c9988a9a-30e6-4513-9d99-330d1e6f5ff5_text.gif

We aren't going to beat the big boys by playing their game of poaching big name coaches away from other schools. You take a swing with a coach like Fran Brown who is supposedly a top recruiter and a bit under the radar. If he strike gold, you position yourself for the next coach and you are back on the national scene. If you fail, are we really any further behind than we are today?

First timer. Over 30 years basketball and football season ticket holder. Many family members SU graduates including my 90 year old father. I bleed Orange and love to follow this site as it’s informative and entertaining.
Surgeon General Warning: This forum can be addictive and cause Orange Outs.

We aren't going to beat the big boys by playing their game of poaching big name coaches away from other schools. You take a swing with a coach like Fran Brown who is supposedly a top recruiter and a bit under the radar. If he strike gold, you position yourself for the next coach and you are back on the national scene. If you fail, are we really any further behind than we are today?
we are a swing game away or so from a bowl team for about the last 6 yrs other than Covid yr. A player or 2 makes a big difference.

Even this yr we survived a huge turnover at corner because we had more depth at other spots. Depending on what we lose we dont need to replace half the kids, we just need 2-3 who are playmakers to add to the mix. We have a team of nice players but no play makers.

And if he is a recruiter I would think the first job is to review the roster and have the discussions.

Not going to read the last 20 pages. I'm all in on Coach Brown. He's an interesting choice and checks some of the boxes. We needed 'interesting'. Now let's see who he chooses as coordinators. (How about Lewis and White?) And we all hope he keeps Nunzio, who sees like quite an asset.

LGO!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online