Fran Brown | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
How quick does he come in; would he be here for all the bowl practices?

i really like this hire, real big swing here, if we connect it’s a home run hire, and if we don’t…

Go look back at the top 10 recruiters since 2015. The top 10 is littered with top 10 teams.

Fran brown has done all his recruiting in very fertile areas. Texas, NJ, Georgia. This doesn’t mean his recruiting is going to transition over to Syracuse.

The DB coach at Georgia before Fran Brown was also a top 10 recruiter before Fran got there, ranked number 2 at rivals in 2022.

From a quick look I did starting in 2015, coaches that ranked in the rivals top 10 recruiters for each year that didn’t have any solo coordinator experience prior to being hired as a head coach at a P5 program is Sam Pittman who is lucky he didn’t get fired this season. Jeff Hafley who has had rumors of being fired. Everyone else had some kind of solo coordinator experience, previous head coaching experience outside the p5, or is still a position coach, coordinator at this time.

That’s 140 coaches (some duplicates), and only 2 coaches have been hired with similar experience to Brown. And neither have been successful.
Add Dabo to your list

Love the hire. Same board contributors who bicker at us to manage our expectations because of SU being a northeastern private school are poo poo’ing this hire.

Time to see if SU can recruit. This is exciting.

I, for one, welcome our new savior.
yeah that what was I thinking if Fran can't get recruiting in the right direction then I am not sure anyone can. It will at least settle that debate. I am one that doesn't think a top 25 class is even a remote possibility at Syracuse anymore but would like to see how close they can get

Why do we assume Nunzio is staying or wants to stay? Has brown said thst

I wouldn’t assume any assistants are safe until we hear from brown. He may have his guys. We tend to do a live connection when we don’t know how the relationships shake out

Nunzio and brown may be completely redundant

Fwiw I spoke to Nunzios former teammate last night at one of his colleges and he said there isn’t a better guy. So I hope he stays hearing this. My source isn’t a grab @sser for the sake of it so I’m fired up for more Nunzio
I think people are assuming since they worked together and Fran doesn't have a big background on offense and Nunzio has valuable recruiting connections for the northern part of NJ and Nunzio is so well liked and respected by the team that he might be retained.

I think it all comes down to who Fran's OC ends up. The OC might want to bring in his own TE coach. Or the OC might end up being Nunzio.

My guess is, which Fran not having a lot of administrative experience, he will hire two coordinators with a lot of experience coordinating, preferably at the P5 level.

We have gotten plenty of portal guys already from football factories and thus far they haven't panned out. We won't know if Brown's portal guys are any good until we get into ACC play.
I would have thought we learned by now that bringing in a highly rated HS recruit who never saw the field at the SEC level, or any other level for that matter, certainly doesn’t guarantee success. Having your HC as your main recruiting asset is much different than loading a staff up with killers. HC’s are far less involved for the most part.

The Top portal kids are not going to mid level programs. We aren't going to get kids that make us a Top 5 ACC team on talent alone. Football factory rejects aren't going to make us on par with a football factory.
Maybe. They went to Colorado. This is going to be a wild ride.

No, it's more the "no prior head coaching experience" that concerns me. I don't see how we can take that risk after 6 out of 8 losing seasons under a "charismatic" offensive genius of a coach.
Who was a guy w HC experience. Shafer didn’t. Marrone didn’t. Etc, etc. That’s not a metric that decides success.

Rhule and Smart are both excellent HCs. He’s worked under some of the best - maybe ever - for a Syracuse HC.

There’s a lot of risk, it may not work out. I was giving you a hard time because you were so definite.

Brown will keep coach Nuz and possibly a few others. We might be looking at the Dazzler again as well. Im actually excited for this move it takes some stones for JW to make this move.
? People keep mentioning Addazio. Is there any indication of that as a possibility or is it speculation with the shake up at A&M?

I’d like to see Beck retained as OC and Nunz at TE.
Beck’s game planning with no QB was masterful. He deserves to hang around if Brown will have him.
Nunzio goes without saying.
His game planning of run everyone into the line over and over again against 3 of the bottom 5 rune defenses in the ACC.

Pass. He should’ve learned to game plan the first 8 weeks, and develop a backup QB over the year+ before that so Syracuse didn’t need to turn to a 2010 wildcat offense. Go get a real OC and DC

So we start with Doug White Lewis Candle Cig Martin Chesney and a slew of other name coaches including the best OL coach in the NFL and i guess Dan. At this point we are down to two of the original group and Fran. Out of all of the coaches available. These are our finalist. Now some will say that guys like Lewis and White didnt want the job. Well didnt JW or better yet shouldnt JW have had a list of potential coaches that he already new would have interest. I mean did he actually let Dino go without an already vetted short list.
Again, something here just doesn't add up at all. Something seems really odd.
That’s not Wildhack’s list. Looks like Brown was on the vetted list from the start.

No, it's more the "no prior head coaching experience" that concerns me. I don't see how we can take that risk after 6 out of 8 losing seasons under a "charismatic" offensive genius of a coach.
Most available people with prior HC experience failed. That’s why they are available. The next employer is hoping they learned from the failure.

Who was a guy w HC experience. Shafer didn’t. Marrone didn’t. Etc, etc. That’s not a metric that decides success.

Rhule and Smart are both excellent HCs. He’s worked under some of the best - maybe ever - for a Syracuse HC.

There’s a lot of risk, it may not work out. I was giving you a hard time because you were so definite.
Fair points and one of those guys was a total bust.

It’s all a risk including Dan Mullin. Attention to detail at Syracuse is huge.

What is the special team angle here w brown since it was a major part of wildhacks pitch

He’s been the top recruiter in the country. Just not sure if he’s ready to be a HC but they weren’t sure about Dabo either. It’s a risk. Never really been a coordinator. Co DC for a year. My concern is that he went for the Temple job and didn’t get it. A job I assumed he would have got. That’s a red flag to me.

Positives. He’s a national champion assistant. He’s been around the blueprint. Georgia Baylor w/ Rhule. Hopefully he learned something from Shady too. He has deep connections in the most important area SU recruits. There’s risks in any hire. He can hire experienced coordinators if he gets the job. A former head coach wouldnt hurt.

SU might need to take a risk and try something unorthodox. If it doesn’t work you hire another guy in 4 years.

This hire could go either way. Likely Brown has a lot of endorsements (e.g. Rhule) that say he is HC material

At the same time, you can’t fault any fans for being hesitant as this would be an “outside the box” move hiring a guy primarily known as a recruiter. I quickly glanced at the top 247 recruiters over the last 10 years who are also position coaches. I don’t see a lot of ones who have become Have (exclude OCs/DCs/AHCs)

He’s been the top recruiter in the country. Just not sure if he’s ready to be a HC but they weren’t sure about Dabo either. It’s a risk. Never really been a coordinator. Co DC for a year. My concern is that he went for the Temple job and didn’t get it. A job I assumed he would have got. That’s a red flag to me.

Positives. He’s a national champion assistant. He’s been around the blueprint. Georgia Baylor w/ Rhule. Hopefully he learned something from Shady too. He has deep connections in the most important area SU recruits. There’s risks in any hire. He can hire experienced coordinators if he gets the job. A former head coach wouldnt hurt.

SU might need to take a risk and try something unorthodox. If it doesn’t work you hire another guy in 4 years.
Some
Of these top recruits come with strings and can be divas. Thats the part that worries me if things go sideways at a syraxuse

Culture and institutional sanity matter. A pied piper tarkanian type can be good when the food is good but if anything spoils things can be ugly

I really hope he’s a task master. Little things matter . What I liked about Dino was he was unflappable and that’s needed for the kids

In other words don’t want a Deion clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors