Fran Brown | Page 60 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listen...I'm not saying this guy will/wont work out, but the idea that he and nunz are going to keep Mich, PSU, OSU, Bama and ND out of NY/NJ/NE PA and those recruits are going to come here is laughable.

What happened to all the posts the last decade that recruiting is national now? The FLA 3* is better than the NY/NJ 4*? Those posts that have been posted ad-nauseum here.
I dont think keeping ND, Bama, Mich, OSU, Penn St for guys they really want will ever happen unless there is a legacy type situation, BUT what Syracuse does then they are successful is keep the next level player away from Pitt, Maryland, Rutty, BC, and all the rest, Pitt is almost always my gauge, think about when Syracuse and Pitt are good at the same time, it doesn’t really ever happen, IMO it’s because we are always going after the same pool of players. I don’t think you can be successful only recruiting the NE, but you HAVE to hold your own and win the majority of recruiting battles against “peer” schools

Fran Brown would be a fantastic hire if we were looking for a recruiting coordinator and closer but not as a HC. If he were accompanied by a fantastic OC and DC that weren't going to be lured away by others in 1-2 years after they find success and will be paid more.

The reality of recruiting is that you can build all the great relationships with the kids but if you aren't backed by a ton of $$ to get them or keep them, you will eventually lose them to another suitor. I just don't think SU has the $$, willingness or intestinal fortitude to pay the kids what others are and that has already proven itself out.

When all it takes is for another program to add a zero to what you are offering a kid, it kind of makes your recruiting and NIL budget more important than the guy slinging the bags around.

If Fran gets hired, do I think recruiting will improve? Yes, the question is for how long. When the results on the field start to falter, the folks at SU will question the strategy and so will the "money" folks.

I am happy that the kids are now getting paid but it is sad what College Athletics has turned into. It is going to be the wild west for recruiting.

If we REALLY want to play big boy football, why aren't we poaching another P5 coach like the big boys do?

Side note, the CNS coach is available, I am sure he can hire some great coordinators to help him for a few years.
Outside of the top 15 schools, which syracuse is not and likely never will be, who has been "poaching another P5 coach?" You either get a retread or an up and comer.

Not sure what Cuse fans don't get. It's about recruiting to a level to be competitive. Temple isn't going to get ACC level recruits but he was able to find recruits to be competitive at that level and Brown has done so at every stop hes had. It's logically unsound to say he won't be able to do the same moving forward
I think either Brown or Chesney would do fine recruiting. And, Temple has done a pretty good job of finding recruits in the (old) Syracuse recruiting footprint.

Since 2016, NFL draft picks:
Temple: 15
Syracuse: 9

Temple did what I think Syracuse should be doing, focusing on the recruiting base and developing the players. In general, athletes in the Northeast are going to be lower rated than athletes from other areas as the players aren't as developed coming out of high school. Sure, if you can recruit 4 and 5 stars from Florida, Georgia, Texas, California, you will have a great recruiting class, but the difference between a mid level 3* and a low level 3* is not that much so you have to evaluate and project.

Maybe he will hire Chesney as OC .. a step up financially and he gets P5 experience
I think Chesney, if he did this, would be moving up to a real P5 team like Penn St or Ohio St. Going to Syracuse is not the financial windfall at the OC position vs Holy Cross head coach. I'd be shocked if we could offer him the financial security he has right now at the Cross.

Hearing Fran plans to hire Jeff Jagodzinski as OC
are you serious fred armisen GIF by Saturday Night Live

Deion is a great recruiter because of his name and personality not because he is a lifelong grinder on the NJ recruiting trails. They are totally different.
Starting to look like Deion is not such a great recruiter. Just lost three top commits. He got the commits b/c of Colorado's hot start. They didn't stick through the losses.

Brown is authentic. Deion is a media construct. I'd almost rather take a chance on Brown. A 'gamble on greatness' pick, meaning that both 'gamble' and 'greatness' are in the picture, said Captain Obvious.

I dont think keeping ND, Bama, Mich, OSU, Penn St for guys they really want will ever happen unless there is a legacy type situation, BUT what Syracuse does then they are successful is keep the next level player away from Pitt, Maryland, Rutty, BC, and all the rest, Pitt is almost always my gauge, think about when Syracuse and Pitt are good at the same time, it doesn’t really ever happen, IMO it’s because we are always going after the same pool of players. I don’t think you can be successful only recruiting the NE, but you HAVE to hold your own and win the majority of recruiting battles against “peer” schools
Agree. We also lose recruiting battles right now in our home region against Pitt. I want a coach who will lock those down. We shouldn’t be losing CBA kids.

I think Chesney, if he did this, would be moving up to a real P5 team like Penn St or Ohio St. Going to Syracuse is not the financial windfall at the OC position vs Holy Cross head coach. I'd be shocked if we could offer him the financial security he has right now at the Cross.
the HC board seems to think he only makes ~300K or so.

I am warming a bit to the hire let's go let's win
That’s how I am, I hated it at first glance but it is going to lead to better talent coming in via the portal and fewer of our talented guys leaving, he has a better chance of hitting the ground running in 2024 than Chesney or Candle, now he just needs to do it. I know it’s fools gold to look at the schedule next year but it’s set up for another bowl if you don’t shat the bed

He is a key reason why Rutgers is going bowling this year. We also went bowling in ‘21, but that was because Texas A&M backed out due to Covid. Nevertheless, Going bowling two out of Schiano’s first four years is a huge accomplishment, especially considering we hadn’t gone bowling since ‘14. And Chris Ash ran the program right into the ground, and we had very little talent. Thanks in large part to Fran, that talent base was replenished quickly. That’s why Georgia hired him. He work’s exceptionally hard to bring in talent.
This is the important thing - he deserves credit for Rutgers - now - but he won't really see his UGA recruits until 2, 3 years down the road (unless we can flip them to the Cuse :)

But let's see how this works out - the coach has to "sell" players on the whole experience - school, campus, etc. Watching UM-OSU on Saturday, it saddens me that Harrison Jr chose them over SU... if we even had a chance.

To others who tracked planes to/from Syracuse-Atlanta - wow.

Something I found pretty interesting about Brown from a reddit comment:

Fran Brown isn't just any DB coach. Out of all the big name coaches that use Jimmy Sexton as their agent, Sexton has only represented two coaches that were not a head coach. Jeff lebby and Fran Brown. Lebby just got hired at Miss state and now apparently Brown is leading for Syracuse lol

Goes to show the respect he has in the industry. Still a risky hire, but at least he seems to have a lot of people that think he's going places.

All the negative comments are from severely uninformed people.

“He recruits for Georgia, of course he can recruit there”
He has recruited well everywhere he has been. He makes special connections with these kids and pulls them in. He is a young Ed O.

“He has never been a coordinator or HC before”
As if being a coordinator is a prerequisite to being a head coach. It’s not. Several coaches have went from positional coach to Head Coach. It happens. This isn’t some experiment that Syracuse is trying for the first time.

“I don’t like this hire because it isn’t Dan Mullen or Bob Chesney”
Well I am truly sorry your guy didn’t get chosen. But JW is in charge of the hire not any of us. Thank goodness for that.
Sports fans, in general: This is my guy. If you pick someone else, I don’t care about the whys, I will find every reason to fight against the other guy, and I will root against his success to prove I was right.

a ridiculous question and i'll ask it

...can Georgia match us even in this mismatch of employment opportunity for Brown? I have no idea what level of money the bluest of blue bloods have now for footballl operations vs us...
The coordinators get around $2M??? (Brown is just a bit under $1M) I would assume SU is playing him more than that

Kirby is noted to tell his coaches that there aren’t many places to coach so make sure it’s a job they really want….. or something to that tune

In short, I don’t think they will match. This is the 3rd or 4th coach who has moved on recently. Georgia will hire someone new and keep the machine turning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom